• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

1. Okay, so can someone explain the ins and outs of using the X button? I understand the concept of drawing patterns and hitting X to make a group attack independently of you, but I don't understand its other uses

2. How do I know what weapon to be using against what enemy/at what given time? Does it matter much? Or is it like "you should specifically be using guns against this guy, sword against that guy, etc?

3. Is there a point to switching around your weapons mid combo? (not talking about using X, I mean attacking, drawing a pattern and hitting A, attacking, drawing a new pattern, etc...)

4. Okay I now know that you can equip new people during missions, but is there any way/menu/whatever where I can actually check out all my characters, what their stats are, etc.? Like the image when you first "recruit" them?

5. What the hell should I buy? I already got Guts and Spring...

doraemoe

1. Okay, so can someone explain the ins and outs of using the X button? I understand the concept of drawing patterns and hitting X to make a group attack independently of you, but I don't understand its other uses

2. How do I know what weapon to be using against what enemy/at what given time? Does it matter much? Or is it like "you should specifically be using guns against this guy, sword against that guy, etc?

3. Is there a point to switching around your weapons mid combo? (not talking about using X, I mean attacking, drawing a pattern and hitting A, attacking, drawing a new pattern, etc...)

4. Okay I now know that you can equip new people during missions, but is there any way/menu/whatever where I can actually check out all my characters, what their stats are, etc.? Like the image when you first "recruit" them?

5. What the hell should I buy? I already got Guts and Spring...

For most of your question, you can check Saur's video, it explains very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya_kIINBfQ

The 10 fail vid is a huge nod to Viewtiful Joe so I'm fine with it.

I am too, it's just that there was a vid showing that QTE fail in super slo-mo almost right after it launched in Europe. Then we get that blog post saying that there's a QTE that's different if you fail 10 times so I was getting really curious what it was just to find out it's that same clip I saw a month ago.

Fandangox

I beat the Kakhoo Regah in the Epilogue and didn't get the bottle cap for beating that boss without getting hit.

What the fuck is this shit?

EDIT: No, seriously, what the fuck is this shit? I fucking suffered through that fucking fight and its pointless loading screen like three dozen times and didn't unlock fucking
Wonder Goggles
. If I seriously have to do it again outside of the Kakhoo Regah, redoing the first five or ten minutes of that stage every time I fail, I'm going to have a fucking stroke.

You have to do it from the boss stage, not the Kahkooh-Regah.

Man if ya'll gon do all that just to play around with her gun form or whatever, more power to you. I'mma fall back and wait for the Queen to return next year.

Roto13

Man if ya'll gon do all that just to play around with her gun form or whatever, more power to you. I'mma fall back and wait for the Queen to return next year.

You don't understand. I pre-ordered my second game ever (Anarchy Reigns) so I could get her as a pre-order bonus.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I'm mostly doing it because I get all the trophies in every PG game(except Rising because fuck Rising)

Wouldn't be right if I didn't do it here with how much I like it

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I...I beat the game. The final button prompt I failed, like, for an hour. Seriously.

I don't know if I can try for the secret characters, this game really wore me out. I want to find the rest of the normal Wonderful though, and try and get better, but there's no way I'm gonna Platinum all those genre-switching mini-games. :(

Still, it was a FUN ride, and I love how you can read up on all the Wonderfuls and the little logo/bio each of them have. Definately a great game, just one that's a bit above my skill level.

Llyranor

there's no way I'm gonna Platinum all those genre-switching mini-games. :(
Yeah, this is probably where I stand. I love the game to bits, I adore the combat system, but I don't care to get good at the minigame sections (even though they fit the game as a whole well, and have good pacing overall). I'll settle with just enjoying the game at higher difficulties. My hard playthrough right now is pretty fun (and I'm doing much much better than my first playthrough on normal - haven't died in an actual fight yet - aside from Secret Mission 6 of 003-B :D )

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok can someone please tell me what to do on the 3 headed dragon thing fight early in the game? It tells me to fill in the hole or whatever, and I do that and nothing happens and I just keep getting hit by the dragon(by the way, I can't stand that the game does that little halt everytime you get hit. Don't know if anyone else feels that way)

PKrockin

Ok can someone please tell me what to do on the 3 headed dragon thing fight early in the game? It tells me to fill in the hole or whatever, and I do that and nothing happens and I just keep getting hit by the dragon(by the way, I can't stand that the game does that little halt everytime you get hit. Don't know if anyone else feels that way)

Send all your guys into it. I think you need 100 (you can see how many you have next to your health bar). With unite build or sending guys into the wonderful toilets it looks like sometimes one of your heroes just stays in his normal position instead of following everyone else until you let go of the right stick and push it again. Also try making sure your leader is close enough.

I actually think it looks really cool when you get hit with all the slow-mo followed by 100 little guys getting sent flying all over the place. Annoying, but cool.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think Platinuming things is very doable; you just need to excel in 2 areas and not utterly suck at the last one.

And you can get the Platinum achievement on Very Easy if you want.

I was planning on doing it that way but the game is actually very generous with Plats I've noticed when I was going on my item hunts on Normal. I only need 11 more for the bottle cap and almost all of them are bosses since their stages didn't have items. 006 is the only one I'm dreading.

Pure Platinums however, yeah, gonna pass on that.

I really wish you could see how many items you've broken, mixed, or thrown. I need to see the light at the end of this tunnel.

TnK

That actually happens because it makes Ukemi easier. It is a custom block bought from the store that allows you to cancel damage if you press jump when hit. Really useful.

That being said, what is the correct moment to pull Ukemi off?

HawthorneKitty

Yeesh, got my hands on a Pro Controller today and ewwwwwwwwwwww, it feels so weird; I can't play well with it.

Hypron

That actually happens because it makes Ukemi easier. It is a custom block bought from the store that allows you to cancel damage if you press jump when hit. Really useful.

That being said, what is the correct moment to pull Ukemi off?

I haven't played all that much with it yet, but from what I've seen you need to press the jump button right when you're about to land on the ground (not before, not after).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This game reminds me.

I really like whipping shit in games. Like REALLY like it. And I don't mean like Lords of Shadow whip where it's basically an extending sword. I mean Bayonetta/Wonder Pink style where it recoils back and everything.

popyea

That is fucking bullshit.

No. Fuck it. I'm not doing it. I don't hate myself nearly that much. It's not fucking worth it. Luka's a little bitch anyway.

Seriously, if you've done Giga-goojin without being hit, you'll find the 005 boss really easy to no damage. Which should count for the bottlecap as well.

TnK

I haven't played all that much with it yet, but from what I've seen you need to press the jump button right when you're about to land on the ground (not before, not after).

Makes sense on why delaying the jump button makes it work. Thanks.

Seik

Banned
I need to stop playing ffs....it's 5:30 AM. ;_;

AND I'M AT
FUCKING 009-B CLIMAX OMG GOTY THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

g3cdgo2shm.gif

Tomorrow I'm done with it and I'm sure my mind will blow even more.

HawthorneKitty

I need to stop playing ffs....it's 5:30 AM. ;_;

AND I'M AT
FUCKING 009-B CLIMAX OMG GOTY THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I'm done with it and I'm sure my mind will blow even more.
You mean it'll only be the beginning.

Thoraxes

Man, I am having a blast. I don't think i've smiled this much playing a game in a long time. It's just so full of charm, satisfying gameplay, balls-to-the-walls action, escalation, and bravado that you really can't help but love the game.

moolamb

Jus got to operation 007.

wtf trauma center? 'You hold his hand while we go fight inside his body' has to be one of the most amazing lines ever.

Oh this game has NO dull moments.

I was so HYPED for this game and Zelda WWHD that I think I jinxed myself

last minute nomination for some award

last minute out of state trip planning

last minute hotel, tux rental, train fees = goodbye W101 time and money

guess what I am downloading right now with Nintendo's fancy counter download?

mBpjD4U.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
I hope someone eventually uploads a 100% completed save file somewhere. There are some things I'm just not willing to do to unlock things.

You're aware that this is never gonna happen? Why? Because you have no way to get the save file off of your Wii U. Or get a new one onto it.

D-e-f-

Banned
I was so HYPED for this game and Zelda WWHD that I think I jinxed myself

last minute nomination for some award

last minute out of state trip planning

last minute hotel, tux rental, train fees = goodbye W101 time and money

guess what I am downloading right now with Nintendo's fancy counter download?

mBpjD4U.jpg

Wait what? Is this new from the 4.0.0 system update that it now displays detailed file sizes during download?

edit: answered myself and then saw you detailed it in the system update thread :D d'oh!

Wait what? Is this new from the 4.0.0 system update that it now displays detailed file sizes during download?

yup too bad I am downloading during a Firmware update period because it is painful to watch those numbers tick by slow slowly

edit:

ue1IhlX.jpg

I am going to have Wonder Pink break some servers

Frodo

What's not to get? You run around and you defeat enemies. :)

If you're having a hard time getting a feel for the game's rhythm, I recommend using the second stick to draw shapes instead of the touchpad. That way, you can treat it more like a fighting game, I.E., rotate real quick for the fist, tap up for a moment for the sword, tap up then right for the gun, etc. It becomes muscle memory in short order. Then the trick is learning how to use the attacks in combat. Mob the enemies with your men using X, until they're stunned and then staggered. When pummeling an enemy, draw other shapes and tap X to have your teammates perform them, meaning even more attacks are on the field at once. Juggle them in the air with B and then A and continue to hammer away and unleash teammate attacks mid-air. All of this will whittle down enemies faster.

Destroy everything you see -- every tree, light post, mailbox, tire stack, crate, etc. Gather all of the cogs and vegetables. Run with Y to keep your group nice and tight. Adjust the zoom with the L and R buttons. Use the L button inside buildings to keep the camera centered behind you on the GamePad.

Use the sword to deflect lightning attacks. The hand to collect fire and throw it back as fireballs. Bounce back attacks and enemy charges with Unite Guts. Dodge with Unite Spring. Dodge offset is in and allows you to maintain where you were in a combo before dodging.

All of the above can be practiced in the demo. Keep at it and it will click. :)

I like this post. :)

The demo does not do the full game justice. So I'd say get it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just discovered you can actually parry things you've blocked with unite guts

Not useful in every situation.(I think it's more beneficial to reflect cannonballs rather than counter them) but it's quite useful for Vorkken fights

Fandangox

I'm now at 5B. This game is insane.

There's a storm coming.

what is this from?

Its from a music video, very trippy. I think its this video.
Just discovered you can actually parry things you've blocked with unite guts

Not useful in every situation.(I think it's more beneficial to reflect cannonballs rather than counter them) but it's quite useful for Vorkken fights

While dodging after a blocked Guts I saw that you can active hero time after blocking certain attacks if you dodge out of the guts right on time.

Also finally found the last hidden underground item. I have unlocked
Rodin
Only 5 characters to go.

Top Bottom