• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Madouu

WTF! I beat this game about a week ago, but till yesterday, didn't know you could pilot
those little UFOs that those little annoying enemies fly
. That was pretty damn cool! This...freaking...game!
Also useful for secrets

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Speaking of Unite Bomb, does anyone have any advice on taking out the
claw teleporting guys
on Hard. I can do it, it just takes me forever and they do a lot of damage. I know it's something to do with Bomb, but they're not taking that much more damage after hitting them with Bomb...
I bomb first, climb attack to stun and then wail on them with other morphs while keeping bomb as my main.

Neff

Man, I am having a blast. I don't think i've smiled this much playing a game in a long time.

No joke, my face was sore, literally sore, from smiling after the first two chapters. Then I played the other
. Ow.

Got one of these (in red). Quality is still good after a wash, although the print is ever so slightly sticky. Nice cut and fit. Feel Wonderful wearing it.

Honestly, I delayed playing more GTA5 so that I could finish Wind Waker and Wonderful 101 first. Now that I'm playing GTA5 again, I want to finish it so I can go back to Wonderful 101. All of these great games, my god.

OryoN

Also useful for secrets

I guess I kinda fluked it during quick session of battle - not sure if it was during story mode or not. I tried to do it in mission mode today(impossible?) but couldn't. I just kept destroying them. Is there a way to do it consistently?

D-e-f-

Banned
I hope someone eventually uploads a 100% completed save file somewhere. There are some things I'm just not willing to do to unlock things.

You're aware that this is never gonna happen? Why? Because you have no way to get the save file off of your Wii U. Or get a new one onto it.

They added the ability to backup save data months ago.

Huh? First time I'm hearing any of this. Are you sure you're not mixing this up with the 3DS update?

Yea this is definitely nonsense. You were thinking of the 3DS update that let you transfer between digital and retail titles. You cannot do anything to your Wii U saves aside from deleting them.

Rokal

I want to like this game, but the touchpad controls are just rough for me. It's like they took all the awesome stuff you could do in Bayonetta and then added inconsistent touch controls to activate them all.

I want to like this game, but the touchpad controls are just rough for me. It's like they took all the awesome stuff you could do in Bayonetta and then added inconsistent touch controls to activate them all.

Use the right stick and think of them as gestures instead of shapes or drawings

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
May I advise you to use the right analog stick? That's how most of us play.

I think Bayonetta 2 could outclass W101 in the crazy factor. They are probably making the game thinking that it could be the last time we see Bayonetta. With that mindset they could throw everything they got, with the kitchen sink and the entire third floor....backyard shed included.

Wasn't there a quote in an interview with Kamiya where he said the W101 team and Bayo2 team were constantly trying to 1UP each other in terms of craziness.

I believe Bayo2 will be just as insane as W101, but I'm not sure if they can beat King Kamiya

0WayG46.gif

The Wonderful 101 System Breakdown

I played the demo quite a few times before playing the full game, so I had overcome the admittedly steep learning curve.

First of all, don't use the touchscreen. Use the right stick. Shapes don't have to be precise. When you realize this, it becomes like a fighting game, but much simpler. Take it from someone who has a hard time pulling off hadokens!

FIST -- Quick circle on the right stick.

SWORD -- Quick tap in any direction.

GUN -- Quick tap up, then right.

WHIP -- Wiggle the stick up.

HAMMER -- Quick tap up, then a circle.

CLAWS -- Tap right. Then left. Then right.

BOMB -- Quick circle, then tap up.

Then activate each morph by tapping A. The longer you hold any of the directions, the bigger the "shape," and the stronger the morph. You need more heroes and more gauge to make bigger morphs, of course.

Remember, you don't need to be precise. Also remember, the game goes into slow-mo when you make shapes, and it does NOT have to be one continuous movement. For example, when making the claws, you can tap in one direction, then stop, then the opposite direction, then stop, and then the final direction, before hitting A.

Once you realize this, and start using the stick, making morphs is easy. At that point, it becomes about HOW you use them.

Use the fist and hammer to soften up armored foes. The fist can block fire attacks and throw fireballs back at the enemy; the hammer can shield you from missiles falling from above. Use the sword to swat aside small enemies, cleave through gelatinous foes, and deflect laser beams. Use the gun to shoot flying foes or gather up enemy bombs and fire them back. Use the whip to rip away spiky armor, and the claws to pry open enemy defenses. Use the bombs to slow down speedy targets.

Use the X button repeatedly to swarm enemies with your men. Keep tapping X, swarming them over and over, until they grow stunned, and then staggered. When they're disabled with stars whirling about their head, they're easy to launch into the air with a Wonder Rising -- jumping with B, and then hitting with A -- and once in the air, you can launch them higher with a second Wonder Rising, or quickly crank out different Unite Morphs, activating them with the X button instead of A so that the computer AI dishes them out while you continue to attack with your main morph. You can have fists, swords, guns, etc, all working at the same time in this fashion.

With Unite Guts, you can bounce back tank missiles, and even the tanks themselves when they charge or jump on you. If you see an enemy wind up a punting kick or raise a clenched fist, you can throw them off-balance blocking in this fashion. You can dodge many attacks you can't block using Unite Spring. With the Dodge Mine equipped on the Custom Block (see your sub-menus), you'll even leave a mine when you dodge that makes enemies flash purple. When they flash purple, you can circle them like you'd circle civilians, and recruit them to your cause. And if you're surrounded by explosions, dash with Y and your group will tighten up into a compact formation that makes it easier to navigate a perilous environment.

Also know you can control the camera: L and R toggle between various levels of zoom, and when exploring the interior of a building on the GamePad, use L to center the camera behind your character.

These are just starter tips. I recommend replaying the first level until you get the hang of things. At some point, everything will CLICK. After that, it's smooth sailing!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how are new moves actually unlocked? can I see progress toward new move unlocks?

Rokal

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to give the right-analog stick another shot, the video was pretty helpful in clarifying how it worked.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
whoever thought these one-on-one fights were a good idea can -- can --

JoeFenix

A good mindset to have when playing this game is to always ask yourself if you have options at your disposal that you're not making use of. Don't be afraid to experiment, if you're getting annihilated and are getting frustrated then rest assured that there is a way to get through that fight without taking any damage whatsoever regardless of the difficulty level. There are no DUMB or really badly put together sections in this game, except maybe no damaging 9-C. That one can go to hell.

Seriously though just keep trying, the satisfaction you'll get when you figure out a good strategy is worth the initial frustration.

Proven

A good mindset to have when playing this game is to always ask yourself if you have options at your disposal that you're not making use of. Don't be afraid to experiment, if you're getting annihilated and are getting frustrated then rest assured that there is a way to get through that fight without taking any damage whatsoever regardless of the difficulty level. There are no DUMB or really badly put together sections in this game, except maybe no damaging 9-C. That one can go to hell.

Seriously though just keep trying, the satisfaction you'll get when you figure out a good strategy is worth the initial frustration.

This. Try all of your usual buttons and see what you can do. The 1v1 sections aren't very hard at all.

Squishy3

Man, watching some people stream this, I don't understand how they can play with the JP voices. The English dub is so good. It feels kind of uninspired compared to the dub and the voice sync is even more off.

After finally tearing myself away from GTA, I was able to dive back into TW101 and after playing 002-B(or C I forget which atm) I've concluded that Kamiya has finally made a game that was too crazy for me. The boss fight with the giant robot with the ship attached to his arm socket verged on sensory overload for me. Sure, I beat him eventually, but I could never really gather what was going on in that fight, and if it only gets crazier from there, I'll likely never finish it.

JoeFenix

After finally tearing myself away from GTA, I was able to dive back into TW101 and after playing 002-B(or C I forget which atm) I've concluded that Kamiya has finally made a game that was too crazy for me. The boss fight with the giant robot with the ship attached to his arm socket verged on sensory overload for me. Sure, I beat him eventually, but I could never really gather what was going on in that fight, and if it only gets crazier from there, I'll likely never finish it.

It's very dense, the game throws so much shit at you that on your first playthrough it can feel a bit overwhelming but there is definitely method to the madness. Try that fight again and you'll discover 10 new ways of dealing with his attacks, it's not meant to be played once and then traded in.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wait you can aim the cursor in the 9-A shooting sections to lock on for homing lasers without having to move into the enemies line of fire?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
God Mission 2 on 9-A was kicking my ass so hard

It even slows time on 101% Hard.

Pure Platinuming every thing back within my grasp

Proven

Wait you can aim the cursor in the 9-A shooting sections to lock on for homing lasers without having to move into the enemies line of fire?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Honestly, don't use it too much. My first playthrough I depended on it too much when it's so much slower than moving your character and it's a limited resource. The bar under your health let's you know how much slow down aim you have left.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I never slowed down after the first time much because I wanted the Platinum the time part at least.
... wait does slowing count towards time?

JoeFenix

God Mission 2 on 9-A was kicking my ass so hard

It even slows time on 101% Hard.

Pure Platinuming every thing back within my grasp

9-C is the only truly evil part as far as Pure Platinum rank goes. That ship section with no damage, ughhhhhhhh!

Holy crap,
007-B
was amazing. Everything about this game is fine-tuned to such a degree it's hard to believe. Would have taken such incredible attention to detail to nail some of these elements right.

JoeFenix

Holy crap,
007-B
was amazing. Everything about this game is fine-tuned to such a degree it's hard to believe. Would have taken such incredible attention to detail to nail some of these elements right.

Riding P-Star was awesome! That section gave me some serious Starfox 64 all-range mode Andross brain fight vibes. The environment and the little arrow indicator are what probably did it more than the boss itself.

Missions 005 and 006 were pretty fantastic. This game is throwing a lot more at me than I could have ever imagined. Mission 007-A, though, left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. However, I don't blame the game too much for it because: 1) I was in a hurry at the moment, and 2) I'm probably not very good at the game.

I just found the platforming to be weirdly difficult and frustrating.

Wasn't there a version where the logo was in black and the base shirt was white? I meant to buy that but I forgot about it.

Yes, it's also from the same person.

Timeaisis

So I'm playing on Hard now...god it's pretty tough. I mean, I can do it. But I feel the need to retry if I don't get at least Gold....but I feel like on a lot of these missions, that's not even possible with my current setup...I watched some videos of some people attempting it on 101%, and basically they have like a crap ton of more stuff unlocked than I do.

Am I wasting my time going for decent ranks on hard after just finishing normal?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm playing on Hard now...god it's pretty tough. I mean, I can do it. But I feel the need to retry if I don't get at least Gold....but I feel like on a lot of these missions, that's not even possible with my current setup...I watched some videos of some people attempting it on 101%, and basically they have like a crap ton of more stuff unlocked than I do.

Am I wasting my time going for decent ranks on hard after just finishing normal?

I'd at least get more custom blocks. Some of them are game changers

and if you really want an easy time unlock some secret characters and Unite Big. Alot of the PP runs I've seen on youtube are making use of one or the other or both. (Immorta Unite Big is fucking broken as shit. lol)

Okay Retro I have seen the light, Hero Counter is amazing against Vorkken.

You damn right.

MoMK was amazing in Bayonetta and it's amazing here

moolamb

Alright, game time in New Zealand. Time to do operation 009.

See y'all in a few hours.

edit: HOLY MONKEYS ON A FUCKING STICK.

Best Game Ending Ever. No exaggeration, I'm actually close to crying just thinking about how underrated this game is, and how many people will never see the genius of this game.

If you're even remotely near on the fence for this game, there's NO other option but to buy the game and play to the very end. Trust me, I'm doing your life a huge favour.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the Vorkken fights?

Like, can you even counter his whip?

Do you have to wait until he hits you with a fist or hammer then stun him with the jelly?

I reflect and then immediately get a giant sword and go nuts, but it feels cheap,

Riding P-Star was awesome! That section gave me some serious Starfox 64 all-range mode Andross brain fight vibes. The environment and the little arrow indicator are what probably did it more than the boss itself.

Yes! The implementation of this section of the game was really good. The fact that
you still use morph attacks while riding P-Star and moving in 360 degrees
was just plain awesome. So much fun!

this game.. this game... I will admit, i was super hyped for this game, then turned off by the demo. I almost didnt buy it but figured what the hell, and man this game is insane! I just finished operation 5 and i mean im just so blown away by all the variety and depth in this game. Im constantly just being like "did that really just happen?" There is definately a steep learning curve, and each enemy you have to sort of know what morph to use, but its crazy. Its like someone took viewtiful joe, okami, and Shadow of Collosus and mashed them together with a addictiveness i havent really found since Blast Corps on the N64. Easily my favorite game on the system so far, and i have had the system since launch and played a decent amount of what is out.

Top Bottom