• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

sfried

Just wondering to any of you guys who've played both boxed retail and download copies: Is it true that there's (more) slowdown present on the eShop version than on the disc version? I've heard that despite the shorter loading times, some people encounter slowdown in certain areas. I sorta noticed this too when comparing the demo and final versions of Operation 001-A (I have the downloaded form). During the cutscene where the GEATHJERK hyjack and oiltruck and kamekaze into a gas station, it was noticibly smoother in the demo than in the final game when I last played.

I've also heard that the recent firmware update might have alleviated those problems though. But I just wanted to make sure.

Proven

How do you kill big scorpions efficiently?

Use Unite Guts to reflect claw attacks and juggle it. Take note that attacks with it's stinger pierces it.

Because I hate it's fucking tail and tell for the tail smash is deceptively close to the claw at times, I tend to use Gun Stinger to disable them from afar, then zip in with Sword Stinger or some other melee weapon before Rising and air combos.

JoeFenix

Wow 101% Hard really mixes things up, the lack of slowdown when drawing combined with the fact that canceling now takes up a battery makes the game feel alot different. I love it, everything feels so smooth and seamless, you really get to appreciate the enemy animations alot more!

Neiteio

I'm kind of wracking my brain on this. I'm trying to do the Unite Gun. So I draw the proper L shape to make the gun (it's green, so I know it's right) and then I press X - which is used for a unite attack. But nothing happens. I have no issue with any of the other unite morphs. But for some reason the gun won't work.

Unless I have this wrong? Basically, I'm stuck at that part where I need to shoot back the bombs at that massive turret. I for the life of me can't figure it out.
You active the morph with A. Then tap A to hold the gun, walk over to the bombs, and the gun will pick it up automatically, at which point you can fire it back.

Did you just start?

You need to find other Wonderful Ones with the Gun skill in order to do Team Unites.

I remember finding this out after getting Yellow and I wanted more hammers swinging on the turtles, but Yellow was my only hammer guy, so I was SOL.

Edit: My bad. Misunderstood the question.

Busaiku

Yeah, there is no way I will ever play 009-C again.
Consolation Prize? Whatever, never again.

Is this covered under warranty.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Operation 007 is off to a surpringly slow start. Not to big a fan of the limited character morphs parts in the beginning.

playing with Chewgi is pretty awesome though!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Eh? Apparently I missed a mission on 7-A that was not a secret mission...or maybe it didn't save when I reset...

Timeaisis

Operation 007 is off to a surpringly slow start. Not to big a fan of the limited character morphs parts in the beginning.

playing with Chewgi is pretty awesome though!

I'm quite found of 007. It does start slow, but it gets pretty cool.

On a separate note, I spent like and hour and a half trying to do the secret mission 006 in operation 003-b. God damn.
Three metal dragon things
. I ended up just using giant Unite Whip and Unite Hands, got lucky with lots of Hero Time, and used Unite Bomb when I was swarmed. But god damn. It's really hard to dodge with 3 of 'em at you.

Ended up getting consolation because apparently, retrying Kahkoo-Regas counts as continues, which I think is lame...because they are optional.

Seik

Banned
Just finished...

this game! THIS GAME!!!

its so good!

Yep. :D

BTW, I'm surprised, there's not a single, listenable, version of Wonderful Finish (English or Jap version) ANYWHERE on the net, wow.

I'm listening to it via the game and it's stuck in my head. >_<

WONDERFUUUL WONDERFUUUUL ONE DOUBLE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*epic music*
ONE DOUBLE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dr Dogg

Well I finally succumbed to getting a Wii U and picked this up. Words can't describe how I'm feeling this game right now. Well maybe one, PHWOOOOOARRR!!!

From earlier footage and previews I thought this was going to be a toned down, Pikmin-esque romp aimed at a broad field but it's so deep. And as I mentioned in another thread, as I'm of the left handed persuasion the controls and the whole flow of combat are a perfect marriage.

I must be so out of touch with what passes as the mainstream gamer these days as I've loved first Puppeteer and now this Wonderful gem that seams to have passed most folk by.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
really starting to love the game.

It wouldn't have taken much to give this game a wider appeal without sacrificing what makes it great. Like, the game has no idea how to encourage active learning. As a player, you never need to show you understand a concept in order to proceed. The result of this is many people, myself included, stumbling through hours of the game before writing it off.

Also, hiding most of the interesting moves, even things as simple as the charge-punch and the faster liner, is just silly. Like, really silly. Putting the abilities that both help new players and accentuate the good parts of the game behind money-barriers makes no sense, to me. Especially when the amount of money you receive is based entirely on skill.

I mean, that last point, even as I type it out, feels a little shaky. I'm definitely all for rewarding players for doing well with non-trivial rewards, but stuff like the liner abilities being locked away really bothers me. It must have been a challenge to implement. I don't have an answer.

Just finished this game and...holy hell, that was insanity. The craziest, biggest action game I've ever played. And I played Bayonetta earlier this year.

Holy fuck.

really starting to love the game.

It wouldn't have taken much to give this game a wider appeal without sacrificing what makes it great. Like, the game has no idea how to encourage active learning. As a player, you never need to show you understand a concept in order to proceed. The result of this is many people, myself included, stumbling through hours of the game before writing it off.

Also, hiding most of the interesting moves, even things as simple as the charge-punch and the faster liner, is just silly. Like, really silly. Putting the abilities that both help new players and accentuate the good parts of the game behind money-barriers makes no sense, to me. Especially when the amount of money you receive is based entirely on skill.

I mean, that last point, even as I type it out, feels a little shaky. I'm definitely all for rewarding players for doing well with non-trivial rewards, but stuff like the liner abilities being locked away really bothers me. It must have been a challenge to implement. I don't have an answer.
It's strange because they make it so you can buy anything with Wonder Credit Cards which honestly are not hard to get if you do any exploration. So money itself doesn't really matter, which makes putting moves behind in-game paywalls all the more strange.

Do you think much like King’s Story that this that this game can be successful just over time as sells slowly come in? Nintendo games seem to have such long legs compared to other consoles games. I want there to be a sequel, but I am worried about the sales.

Going by this thread I hope this game continues to sell by word of mouth. Initial sales were not going to be insane as it is a new IP and the install base for Wii U is low.

bububu but, when you add this game, to Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, LoZ WW HD, Sonic Lost World, SM3DW plus the 3rd party games, suddenly the no games console is very appealing. This game alone won´t move hardware, but it makes a case in turning the Wii U library into an attractive one.

I must confess I don´t have the game yet, going through some money issues right know but gladly next month I will be alright. Have lots of games to pick up.

TDLink

Man, what's up with some people having nearly everything done already? I mean, I get it when a game clicks you want to play nothing but that one game, but it's only been out in North America for, what, like 3 weeks? I guess some of you have had it in Europe for about 2 months, right? How many hours a day dosome of you play this game? I haven't even finished the game yet and it's basically been my primary game! Other than trying the daily challenges out after work in Rayman Legends, this has definitely been my go-to game. Didn't Kamiya say something along the lines of wanting people to play this game for years on end? Pump the breaks, people!

Anyway, favorite tracks so far...

Tables Turn
10,000 Meters Under the Sea

I also really like the prologue music sans the lyrical part. I really just like the track itself, oh, and that track that plays during those flash back sequences with the cool artwork shots. I can't find those on YouTube though. =/

Personally I'm in love with:

Intertwined

Tables Turn and Protect the Earth are also two of my favs. They are really all great though. I need this game's OST.

Regiruler

I've unlocked
2 of the 15 spoiler characters: Wonder Scarf and Poseman.

I don't even know how I got
Super Unite Morph
. I'm assuming it's just a
200 member version of any secret character morph
?

Just finished 001-C. If I knew this game was so short I would've never bought it at full price. An hour 1/2 to reach the last boss in the game? Seriously?

Wait, that wasn't the last boss?

There's more after that?

o_0

Just finished 001-C. If I knew this game was so short I would've never bought it at full price. An hour 1/2 to reach the last boss in the game? Seriously?

Wait, that wasn't the last boss?

There's more after that?

o_0

Oh man, you don't even know... (which would make a good thread title for this)

Vyse24

For those who completed the whole game: What boss battle would you say was the most disappointing? For me it was
Operation 006. Not saying it was bad, but it's just a boss battle you've done twice before just made longer. Plus compared to the other battles, this was pretty tame by comparison.
Just my opinion though.

Malus

For those who completed the whole game: What boss battle would you say was the most disappointing? For me it was
Operation 006. Not saying it was bad, but it's just a boss battle you've done twice before just made longer. Plus compared to the other battles, this was pretty tame by comparison.
Just my opinion though.

Agreed. That whole segment was the weakest imo. Not BAD just not as good relatively speaking. The cutscenes in the end were worth it though.

JoeFenix

No real spoilers but I'm being cautious.

Hmmm, I don't HATE any of the bosses but I really dislike parts of the Final Operation from a gameplay standpoint. The first phase is boring and overly drawn out, there's really no way to make it go faster on replays. It's not a very interesting fight until the second part.

I think
004-c
was the weakest one.
Kinda bland, kinda go through the motions. I felt like I beat the first half or something, and then the main course was about to begin...and then it was over. Fun QTE at the end, tho

008-c I'm not too fond of, either. Reused that boring turret shooting section from the otherwise awesome 001 boss, a few decent fights that you can quickly bomb/attack liner your way through, then reuses the Punch-Out idea again. Didn't feel as cool as the first time around. That whole operation feels like filler to me, really. Rehashed enemies in a stage consisting entirely of reused assets from the first two operations with a whole lotta of pink thrown in. Not a lot of interesting alternate gameplay ideas either, outside that one rather cool Gamepad shooter section in the tank. I think that's the one operation you could cut and do the least amount of damage to the pacing. Luckily, the last operation is just one big cool new idea after another.

I like 006-c. Vorkken is fun, has a nice back and forth flow, has an awesome theme song. Good rival battle.

Llyranor

.... Oh dear, it would seem I've logged nearly 45 hrs into this game.
Tip: You can recruit enemies in the first fight

I
On a separate note, I spent like and hour and a half trying to do the secret mission 006 in operation 003-b. God damn.
Three metal dragon things
. I ended up just using giant Unite Whip and Unite Hands, got lucky with lots of Hero Time, and used Unite Bomb when I was swarmed. But god damn. It's really hard to dodge with 3 of 'em at you.

Ended up getting consolation because apparently, retrying Kahkoo-Regas counts as continues, which I think is lame...because they are optional.
Oh yeah, that fight on hard diff has been the toughest challenge for me in the game so far. I absolutely loved the time I spent fighting that (too many retries!)
Personally I'm in love with:

Intertwined
.... I was just about to post this.

008-c I'm not too fond of, either. Reused that boring turret shooting section from the otherwise awesome 001 boss, a few decent fights that you can quickly bomb/attack liner your way through, then reuses the Punch-Out idea again. Didn't feel as cool as the first time around. That whole operation feels like filler to me, really. Rehashed enemies in a stage consisting entirely of reused assets from the first two operations with a whole lotta of pink thrown in. Not a lot of interesting alternate gameplay ideas either, outside that one rather cool Gamepad shooter section in the tank. I think that's the one operation you could cut and do the least amount of damage to the pacing. Luckily, the last operation is just one big cool new idea after another.

I like 006-c. Vorkken is fun, has a nice back and forth flow, has an awesome theme song. Good rival battle.
I agree with both those points.

008-C was just a rehash boss fight. You didn't really get to fight anything new.

And I looooved 006-C. Settling the score with Vorkkie, man! But considering Vorkken fights are my favorite in the game, maybe I'm biased

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ok, 007B was straight back to awesome again!
DAT STOMP

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Man, what's up with some people having nearly everything done already? I mean, I get it when a game clicks you want to play nothing but that one game, but it's only been out in North America for, what, like 3 weeks? I guess some of you have had it in Europe for about 2 months, right? How many hours a day dosome of you play this game? I haven't even finished the game yet and it's basically been my primary game! Other than trying the daily challenges out after work in Rayman Legends, this has definitely been my go-to game. Didn't Kamiya say something along the lines of wanting people to play this game for years on end? Pump the breaks, people!
I got the game on the day of the european release and it's been my primary game since then and after 60 hours of it I still don't feel done with it AT ALL. 6 characters unlocked/15, 85/100 capsules, 101% Hard run barely started... It's THAT good.

I just hope I'll be able to unlock everything.

EDIT : I need help regarding the "10 dodge bonus capsule", does it need to be 10 bonus in a single combo? Is there a good place/ecounter to do this?

I might have found a glitch. So...did a team attack, where I made them into a big fist. Thing is, the big fist didn't start auto attacking like its supposed to. It just sat there, and flowed red. So I made another small fist with the remaining troops and the BIG fist then starts auto attacking and swinging. Instead of dispersing it stop, and just sits there again. Maybe I missed a control?

Is there a way to force a group attack to disperse? Don't want to move forward, because then I'll lose like 90% of my troops.

LOL WTF. So i switched to clockwork (I think this is why it was bugged out, there is a cog near by when I did the auto attack). Keep in mind, I was using wonder-red when I made the first (he was the leader) - but for some reason I think the cog being near by made it twack out. Anyways, now that I made clockwork a leader, anytime he runs around the big fist is now apart of him and is swinging erratically.
This same thing happened to me with wonder white as the leader. Fist just stayed there attacking like a Marvel vs Capcom assist.

Proven

That's my least favorite boss level for all the reasons you posted. I didn't mind the operation as a whole though because it was the usual
"revisit/reexamine everything you've overcome" level, sooooo much shorter than the equivalent in Bayonetta (which felt like it came way too early as well), and cleared the way for Operation 009.

JoeFenix

Is anyone here running a digital copy of the game? I forgot to delete the demo for the game and decided to boot it up before getting rid of it just to see if there were any loading differences. The menus and transitions are much more responsive and the loading was a bit faster too, I'm wondering if that's just the demo or if it's the fact that my copy is running off a disc.

I wouldn't mind buying the game again if it runs better and loads faster, I got the game for super cheap anyway so it's not a big deal. Just want to make sure the full digital version runs the same as the demo, if anyone here has a digital copy could you please try pressing + while in game and letting me know how fast the menu comes up? It feels really sluggish and delayed on my retail copy, the demo is super snappy, feels so much better!

Dr Dogg

And here was me thinking nothing would top the crazy and mental boss fights from Rising this year. Oh how wrong I was. First one was crazy awesome and I can assume they get better and better.

Still waiting for things to really click and certainly could do with a lot of practice but absolutely pleased as punch with the game so far.

That ending was the most insane ending of a video game I've ever experienced. I don't think I've ever laughed like that while playing a game in ages (excluding Mario with the family).

So many things to unlock!

And here was me thinking nothing would top the crazy and mental boss fights from Rising this year. Oh how wrong I was. First one was crazy awesome and I can assume they get better and better.

They ebb and flow. Some are a little lackluster (relative to others) and some are just the best boss fights in an action game this generation.

Is anyone here running a digital copy of the game? I forgot to delete the demo for the game and decided to boot it up before getting rid of it just to see if there were any loading differences. The menus and transitions are much more responsive and the loading was a bit faster too, I'm wondering if that's just the demo or if it's the fact that my copy is running off a disc.

I wouldn't mind buying the game again if it runs better and loads faster, I got the game for super cheap anyway so it's not a big deal. Just want to make sure the full digital version runs the same as the demo, if anyone here has a digital copy could you please try pressing + while in game and letting me know how fast the menu comes up? It feels really sluggish and delayed on my retail copy, the demo is super snappy, feels so much better!
I find the start menu a bit unresponsive. Not the menu itself, but trying to open it. Sometimes I have to press the +/start button two or three times. Everything else is pretty much the same, I've found.

JoeFenix

I find the start menu a bit unresponsive. Not the menu itself, but trying to open it. Sometimes I have to press the +/start button two or three times. Everything else is pretty much the same, I've found.

I did end up buying a digital copy, it loads about 20-30% faster and definitely feels snappier when transitioning to and from menus and cutscenes. It's not a big deal for most people but I really appreciate the faster loading and slightly less stuttery feel.

Just unlocked
Wonder-Rodin, his three hit combo with the hammer is godlike!

Top Bottom