• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished 008 and 009a. Well that escalated quickly

"Mind. Blown. Again." lol

Hero Sense and Hero Time is OP as fuck

Adaren

I find the start menu a bit unresponsive. Not the menu itself, but trying to open it. Sometimes I have to press the +/start button two or three times. Everything else is pretty much the same, I've found.

If you're in combat, you need to hold down the + button for about a second to open the menu. Prevents accidental menu openings.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So, I am a massive fan of Bayonetta (1000g it) and a massive fan of Metal Gear Rising (I AM a lightning god, and own the game on 360 AND PS3)...But I read IGN's review and it turned me off completely...I glanced at this thread and now am conflicted.

On a scale of 1 (stop reading IGN fool) and 10 (buy this already)...Where am I placed?!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You should do both, buy it already and stop reading IGN, fool

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So, I am a massive fan of Bayonetta (1000g it) and a massive fan of Metal Gear Rising (I AM a lightning god, and own the game on 360 AND PS3)...But I read IGN's review and it turned me off completely...I glanced at this thread and now am conflicted.

On a scale of 1 (stop reading IGN fool) and 10 (buy this already)...Where am I placed?!
Buy it, fool!

MNOtD.jpg

YOU ARE ALREADY A FAN OF THE WONDERFUL 101

Mordeccai

Hi guys, my roommate bought a copy of W101 and I was giving it a spin. When he got it a week ago it locked up in a certain spot and wouldn't play any further. Today I think I played a bit further, but the game still froze. Guessing this is an issue with the disc? The Wii U plays all of his other games fine.

Should we look into taking the game back to the store?

1 and 10....Stop reading IGN fool and buy this game already.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I am seconds away from driving to the store and buying the damn thing but still...I usually agree with Keza Macdonald on games. So it's not like it's IGN whose the roadblock. She made it sound like a pile of shite. Dammit GAF...DAMMIT.

hal9001

Banned

Is that IGN thing your god or something?

Seriously its GOTY material. Use the right stick to draw and with enough practice you will master the game in no time.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is that IGN thing your god or something? Seriously go buy it.

Not IGN specifically. What I do is that I read the reviews and remember the person doing the review...This way, when a game comes out I read A) A review from someone who agrees with me most of the time, and B) a review from someone I never agree with.

Keza Macdonald is my go-to gal basically. Her tastes seemingly mirror mine and she made the game sound unbearable. However this thread is a pure joy to read. People on GAF are seemingly in absolute love with this game and I can understand the feeling. It reminds me of my reverence for Bayonetta, so yes I am conflicted lol.

Rehynn

So, I am a massive fan of Bayonetta (1000g it) and a massive fan of Metal Gear Rising (I AM a lightning god, and own the game on 360 AND PS3).

Simple: That means you'll know how to love this game. Go ahead and pay money for this fine product.

Alrus

Yeah that first unlimited form speech being unskippable is so strange.

Goddammit GAF. I am really feeling the urge for this. Dammit.l...Why did I click this thread...

Just go for it, once you get past the initial confusion, the game is an absolute joy to play for fans of deep action games.

Kyzon

Are whips the only way to kill spiked enemies? They completely kill my times. Also does bombs detract from combos? I'm relaying early missions for cash and I keep getting low combos.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Get rid of fucking score thing and just believe yourself!

If you like Platinum games, you'll love this.

JoeFenix

How can you love those games and not give this a chance after seeing some footage? It looks so incredible that everyone could be saying it's complete ass and I would still have checked it out.

Even if you don't like the game, I advise stopping reading IGN, anyway.

I have to second this notion. At the very least, don't form an opinion based on anything they say. I trust GAF members (who are a mix of regular players and industry) far more than just one outlet.

Edit: Also, I think this thread should just be enough "convincing" already. There's a reason why people are chiming in gushing over this. If you have to be convinced your expectations are starting too high. Of all games, this is not one you go into asking for it to prove its worth - just go in with an open mind and BELIEVE.

I am seconds away from driving to the store and buying the damn thing but still...I usually agree with Keza Macdonald on games. So it's not like it's IGN whose the roadblock. She made it sound like a pile of shite. Dammit GAF...DAMMIT.
It still got a 7.4 on IGN...not exactly pile of shite range in my book. There is a demo for it on the E-Shop if you want to try it for yourself. As for her review, I'm not going to say she was wrong but this is definitely the type of game where your mileage may vary. Look at the range of all the reviews for proof of that. I can personally say that I can see how she felt the controls were unreliable but as I went on with it, I became really proficient with them. Others had no problems at all. In terms of controls, everything links up perfectly with the games mechanics. Someone compared the drawing mechanics to a fighting game several pages back. A person who can't consistently throw a Hadouken (or insert fireball attack here) would think the games controls are broken but the more you play the genre the you learn that they're not and it becomes second nature. The most reviewers probably stopped shortly after the credits ran and went on to the next game they have to cover. That's not a slight against them, its just how the gaming press works. Some of the posters on GAF extolling this game in this thread and others have put hours into it, and are probably working their way through the post game content already. Going by your other post, you play these kinds of games extensively so you would get MUCH more out of this game than most reviewers. As for it being initially infuriating.....Eh.......it really depends. Its subjective, I had no problems at all in the beginning.

Adam J.

Finally got around to playing this. Neat little game, but goddamn it is frustrating, which is strange considering it seems aimed at a young audience (at least on the surface). The drawing mechanic feels really tacked on (imo) and totally breaks the flow of combat ( I am getting better, but damn..). Half the time I cannot tell what the hell is happening on screen, even zoomed in. Really messy for a Platinum title, but it's unique and charming as hell.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Are whips the only way to kill spiked enemies? They completely kill my times. Also does bombs detract from combos? I'm relaying early missions for cash and I keep getting low combos.

Yeah whips are the only way to take off armor. Just know that larger whips takes off more pieces. With the larger whips you can fully strip them in as little as two pulls.

What I don't like about those encounters Isn't that you have to use whip, but that the enemy has multiple moves that are stagger invul. So it sort of approaches Rising territory where clear times are dictated by enemy behavior more than personal strategy(vast difference between getting spinball after your initial free pull at the start of the fight and getting flamethrower) but I don't think it's anywherw near as bad as Rising in that regard.

I still have a lot of things I want to try vs those enemies though. Could be something I'm not still seeing.

Meant to cross post this in here from the Wii U browser shots thread, but forgot. Pretty sweet pic I took of a fairly late game scene.

Wonderful 101 spoiler
http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_018vl0v.jpg

If you're in combat, you need to hold down the + button for about a second to open the menu. Prevents accidental menu openings.

Yep, that did it. Thanks for the tip.

Also, what's the trick to beating
the turtles
quickly? I've tried a few things and all that works is
hammering the shell into oblivion for a while then proceeding with a beatdown

Llyranor

Bayonetta and Rising are two of my absolute favorite console games this gen. I find 101 (GOTY - sorry, Rising!) ranks alongside them at the top of the genre.

Now go buy it before I revoke your Platinum badge!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Also bomb is really good for score.

But it one shots the small grunts like most unite morphs. Especually on lower difficulties where thet have even less health. So scoring can be tricky.

What I do on those sections is just let my mob go to town on them to build up a bunch of hits then finish them with a unite morph to apply a multiplier.

That's what I find so interesting about scoring in games like this. Makes you use your brain and challenges your understanding of the mechanics even on the lowest level. Tactics don't just trickle downward.

Vyse24

Hi guys, my roommate bought a copy of W101 and I was giving it a spin. When he got it a week ago it locked up in a certain spot and wouldn't play any further. Today I think I played a bit further, but the game still froze. Guessing this is an issue with the disc? The Wii U plays all of his other games fine.

Should we look into taking the game back to the store?

What's the part in question?

I am still extremely early in this game. Playing on normal, and man this is hard to pick up. I've watched the videos on combat and have gotten marginally better but I still don't know how a string a combo. Game is amazing from a design perspective, love how the devs were so original in their execution from art to combat.

Just finished 004-A

This game is sick amazing nonsense spectacular ridiculousness, and I love it. The more Unite powers and skills you unlock, the better it gets. And the game just keeps throwing new enemies and scenarios at you every 5 minutes, and the over the top dialogue, and the frenetic combat, and just.........WHEW

I only have one issue, and it's that the game is sometimes unclear on what you should do in any given circumstance. Whether it's attacks that you can't block, or stuff you're dodging that you SHOULD be blocking, or incoming attacks and those "quick time" scenarios that aren't really QTEs that if you fail the game just re-loads in like a second. More than being annoying, it just feels like a "trial by fire" kind of experience in which you WILL get hit and die before knowing exactly how to tackle some situations. Once you "get" it, you're like "Oh," but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Well you could've explained that a little better." And the camera's a dick like 5% of the time, but that's not a huge hindrance.

No issues drawing anything so far; Get better game journalists.

Game's crazy. One of the most over the top games I've played in a long time.

So I just finished the game, and it's fantastic. That said, I can't help but feel angry at every party surrounding this game other than Platinum because it's not getting an iota of the success it deserves. It's really not that hard to draw a shape, guys. I played through the entire game with the pro controller (on normal) and I had no problems! And I'm bad at everything!

I have one complaint about the actual game:

The railshooter parts. Kamiya, learning nothing from the worst part of Bayonetta, put even more of these sections in W101. And they're still terrible! And there's so many of them! Are there any pro-tips to keep me from tearing my hair out?

Kyzon

Yeah whips are the only way to take off armor. Just know that larger whips takes off more pieces. With the larger whips you can fully strip them in as little as two pulls.

What I don't like about those encounters Isn't that you have to use whip, but that the enemy has multiple moves that are stagger invul. So it sort of approaches Rising territory where clear times are dictated by enemy behavior more than personal strategy(vast difference between getting spinball after your initial free pull at the start of the fight and getting flamethrower) but I don't think it's anywherw near as bad as Rising in that regard.

I still have a lot of things I want to try vs those enemies though. Could be something I'm not still seeing.

Ah, thanks. I'll give it a try.
Any tips for the turtles? Their file says I can pull the tail, but I'm not understanding how. Whips bounce off, fist doesn't work, and I can't claw

Llyranor

The railshooter parts. Kamiya, learning nothing from the worst part of Bayonetta, put even more of these sections in W101. And they're still terrible! And there's so many of them! Are there any pro-tips to keep me from tearing my hair out?

I actually find them a lot better than in Bayo (but there are more - though I find they fit the game better this time around), and you get to carry on even if you die (though I guess that screws up the score)

I actually find them a lot better than in Bayo (but there are more - though I find they fit the game better this time around), and you get to carry on even if you die (though I guess that screws up the score)

Yeah, I finished the game, but I have absolutely no idea how to avoid getting hit in the railshooter sections of operation 9.

OryoN

Finally got around to playing this. Neat little game, but goddamn it is frustrating, which is strange considering it seems aimed at a young audience (at least on the surface). The drawing mechanic feels really tacked on (imo) and totally breaks the flow of combat ( I am getting better, but damn..). Half the time I cannot tell what the hell is happening on screen, even zoomed in. Really messy for a Platinum title, but it's unique and charming as hell.

Try using the stick to draw, if you aren't already. The more time you spend with the game, the more you come to appreciate how well implemented the drawing mechanics truly are. This isn't really the type of game where zooming in helps during intense moments. A larger view of the battle area is almost always better. Contrary to initial impressions, this game doesn't necessarily require players to keep track of the main character among such a large group of individual heroes, plus dozens of enemies. Rather, the game encourages you to move as a unit, visualizing the group as one whole body, rather than many individuals. Everything clicked once I realized that, and it's not surprising that this theme is also embedded in the story. (Use the *Y button to keep the group together. This helps you regain composure and heighten awareness of where you are and what's around you)

Also, before you cast me off as 'some know-it-all who thinks I must enjoy this game just because he did', just know that I'm sharing this because I empathize with you. I felt the same way you did. However, once I came to grips with the 'flow' of this game, my new impression of this game was a night-to-day difference compared to my initial one. I wrongly judged this game. But me and TW101 are best buddies now! :p

*Edit: Yes, *Y*, not 'B'... Thanks Llyranor!

Coppanuva

I am having so much trouble on Kahkoo-Regah in 002-B on hard. Can't seem to dodge all the spiky enemies at first, and then the spiked tanks show up before I finish off the 2 big guys. So frustrating, any tips?

YuChai

any tips in drawing the hammer? I can only success on about 60% rate on this.

Any actually, how can make use of the hero counter? Worth to learn it as I only success one time only.

any tips in drawing the hammer? I can only success on about 60% rate on this.

Any actually, how can make use of the hero counter? Worth to learn it as I only success one time only.

So long as you make a straight line right from the start(I draw an incredibly short one for speed), you should be ok. I think the straight line is what will make or break it. Never really have issues with it thought, to be honest.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for the turtles? Their file says I can pull the tail, but I'm not understanding how. Whips bounce off, fist doesn't work, and I can't claw

I don't know anything about that.

I just use Hammer and Hero Counter and/or Unite Charge.

Make a big hammer and use Wonder Cyclone with Hammer which hits three times. and just block and dodge their slow attacks.

The turtles went from my least favorite encounter to my favorite encounter because of this method. Since it allows me to get off these really chunky hits with the hammer. PG really nailed making it such a satisfying weapon. The animations at all the different sizes do an excellent job of conveying this massive weight behind the increasingly powerful blows.

Tail's garbage. Doesn't stun them long enough to matter at all and you can only do it after you completely shatter their shells.

To get the roulette bottlecap I had to fight the initial two turtles an absurd amount of times so I got real good at it.

Form Hammer and run around to the outside edge of one of the turtle's front legs. You don't want to stand between them, but to the side of one of them. Get some swings in and watch for when it tries to stomp you with one leg and then Guts (you can't Guts the two leg one). This'll knock it off balance so go Fist and go all in on the stomach with punches and team unites. Don't use Hammer or you'll knock it back on its feet. Pummel it enough and it'll fall on its back. Attack the ever loving hell out of it because it takes more damage this way and the Hammer really shows off its damage potential.

The only thing you need to worry about is the other turtle which is why we attacked the first one from the outside instead of running between them. The other turtle will do one of two attacks while you're knocking the other off balance: bites and fire pillar. While you're attacking the off-balance turtle just watch the second one. If it bites, spring away and then run back in to attack the off balance one, but the reason to use Fist is because if the turtle does fire pillar it'll just make your punches even stronger since Fist is immune to fire so you're only watching for the bite tell.

Essentially the process goes Guts a stomp, go Fist and attack while watching for the other turtle to bite, go crazy out when it falls on its back. You should be able to kill the first one before it can right itself. The process gets even faster when you learn Wonderful Cyclone and get the Unite Charge custom block.

Kyzon

I don't know anything about that.

I just use Hammer and Hero Counter and/or Unite Charge.

Make a big hammer and use Wonder Cyclone with Hammer which hits three times. and just block and dodge their slow attacks.

The turtles went from my least favorite encounter to my favorite encounter because of this method. Since it allows me to get off these really chunky hits with the hammer. PG really nailed making it such a satisfying weapon. The animations at all the different sizes do an excellent job of conveying this massive weight behind the increasingly powerful blows.

Tail's garbage. Doesn't stun them long enough to matter at all and you can only do it after you completely shatter their shells.

To get the roulette bottlecap I had to fight the initial two turtles an absurd amount of times so I got real good at it.

Form Hammer and run around to the outside edge of one of the turtle's front legs. You don't want to stand between them, but to the side of one of them. Get some swings in and watch for when it tries to stomp you with one leg and then Guts (you can't Guts the two leg one). This'll knock it off balance so go Fist and go all in on the stomach with punches and team unites. Don't use Hammer or you'll knock it back on its feet. Pummel it enough and it'll fall on its back. Attack the ever loving hell out of it because it takes more damage this way and the Hammer really shows off its damage potential.

The only thing you need to worry about is the other turtle which is why we attacked the first one from the outside instead of running between them. The other turtle will do one of two attacks while you're knocking the other off balance: bites and fire pillar. While you're attacking the off-balance turtle just watch the second one. If it bites, spring away and then run back in to attack the off balance one, but the reason to use Fist is because if the turtle does fire pillar it'll just make your punches even stronger since Fist is immune to fire so you're only watching for the bite tell.

Essentially the process goes Guts a stomp, go Fist and attack while watching for the other turtle to bite, go crazy out when it falls on its back. You should be able to kill the first one before it can right itself. The process gets even faster when you learn Wonderful Cyclone and get the Unite Charge custom block.

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get back on the game. I've been staggering them with guts then using the hammer stinger to try and knock them over. Didn't think to try other attacks

Good tips. I'll get back on them asap. I'm just making it to Operation 9, so I guess it's about it end. Then again, I thought it was going to end 3 levels ago.

Top Bottom