• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Happy birthday you wonderfully lucky bastard.

Actual
I loved the
Fire Leo/Frost Tiger viewtiful joe shoutout
. That one kinda touched my feels.

Llyranor

Hero Counter against turtles is also nice since you strike back with the biggest hammer.

any tips in drawing the hammer? I can only success on about 60% rate on this.

Any actually, how can make use of the hero counter? Worth to learn it as I only success one time only.
Just go through the R stick motions of drawing a line, then a circle motion. Don't worry too much about how it looks, just base it on the motion. If you're having trouble with drawing a circle (if it turns into a whip too often based on the way you do it), draw half-ellipses instead.

Someone posted this before, but I find this less time-efficient http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74I4n7F3F9I

I don't actually do it that way at all, just a line + a half-circle, like an omega sign with the last line missing.

As for Hero Counter, just point the left stick in the direction of the incoming attack (at the exact moment). It works like in Bayonetta if you played that game (with the proper item). It is so incredibly useful. The timing and the proper direction are the things you need to pull off properly.
Try using the stick to draw, if you aren't already. The more time you spend with the game, the more you come to appreciate how well implemented the drawing mechanics truly are. This isn't really the type of game where zooming in helps during intense moments. A larger view of the battle area is almost always better. Contrary to initial impressions, this game doesn't necessarily require players to keep track of the main character among such a large group of individual heroes, plus dozens of enemies. Rather, the game encourages you to move as a unit, visualizing the group as one whole body, rather than many individuals. Everything clicked once I realized that, and it's not surprising that this theme is also embedded in the story. (Use the B button to keep the group together. This helps you regain composure and heighten awareness of where you are and what's around you)

Also, before you cast me off as 'some know-it-all who thinks I must enjoy this game just because he did', just know that I'm sharing this because I empathize with you. I felt the same way you did. However, once I came to grips with the 'flow' of this game, my new impression of this game was a night-to-day difference compared to my initial one. I wrongly judged this game. But me and TW101 are best buddies now! :p
I second this advice. I pretty much play zoomed-out all the time. Keeping track of the main char is really only important for timing Ukemi, the rest is just about having a feel about where they are/should be, rather than where you SEE them being (and even with Ukemi you get a sense of the timing of the knockback movement, so you can just time it by 'feeling' as well).

*(Y, not B)

Fandangox

After taking a short break from the game for real life reasons (and monster hunter) I went back to try the Kahkoo-Regah of the epilogue on hard.

Still haven't beaten it, but I am doing a lot better now.

Before when he did the eel attack, I would go "ugh not this again" But after enough practice I can now dodge it most of the time and actually look forward to that attack as it leaves him pretty open. My only barriers now are the randomized punch-kick combo that is VERY hard to not get hit with and when he spins, I can tell if he is going for a punch or a kick when he does that.

Getting there.

Kyzon

Dope. I just wrecked the next two turtles I saw, and murderized the following spiky man. Thanks for the tips gaf.

Now I just need to become proficient in the
Punch Out!!!
boss fights and I'll be fine. I probably need to just wait and react to attacks instead of going all offensive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a quick skip option like Bayonetta?

guit3457

I have just bought this game. After reading this thread I would like to know which is the best way ti play it.

Pro Controller or GamePad?

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Just beat this game!
The thing I like most about it is the variety in gameplay.
Really surprised at the story too. A lot better than I thought it would be.

Edit:

I have just bought this game. After reading this thread I would like to know which is the best way ti play it.

Pro Controller or GamePad?

This is one game I prefer the gamepad with.

Neff

Not IGN specifically. What I do is that I read the reviews and remember the person doing the review...This way, when a game comes out I read A) A review from someone who agrees with me most of the time, and B) a review from someone I never agree with.

Keza Macdonald is my go-to gal basically. Her tastes seemingly mirror mine and she made the game sound unbearable. However this thread is a pure joy to read. People on GAF are seemingly in absolute love with this game and I can understand the feeling. It reminds me of my reverence for Bayonetta, so yes I am conflicted lol.

I like Macdonald. Mostly because she stood up for Bayonetta when Sarkeesian was shitting on it, but also because she's genuine as a critic and a gamer, and reasonably insightful.

But she was so fucking way off with W101.

She praised everything about the game that could be praised, but docked it because she can't draw, whether with the stylus or stick. She took one subjective flaw (proven to be so since there are players who have mastered the drawing technique in abundance), and let it heavily colour a review otherwise rightly filled with superlatives.

Ignore her review and buy the game. You will love it, there's no question.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for recruiting? It seems to happen randomly. :(

TnK

I agree with that. People saying it's on the level of stuff like Gurren lagann are off the mark. TW101 gets crazy
, but it's nowhere near the level of mechs throwing galaxies at each other.

Also, have you played Asura's Wrath? I'd argue it's more crazy than TW101.

Hooray for late replies. Nope, but I plan to. Which version is better? 360 or ps3?

In my defence I just said it gets crazier than Bayonetta :p

Which I think it does, anyway.

Yep, it really does.

I just realised that I finished the game, and have never pulled off the team climb attack, and still got platinum for combo in a lot of missions. Do I need to learn this move for higher difficulities?

daakusedo

I'm replaying with the screen, going back to this game.
I wasn't anymore satisfied with the speed for things like the bomb and generally the feeling of drawing with the stick, and well that's with the screen that I'm really faster, I guess it'll help for 101 hard.

D-e-f-

Banned
So, I am a massive fan of Bayonetta (1000g it) and a massive fan of Metal Gear Rising (I AM a lightning god, and own the game on 360 AND PS3)...But I read IGN's review and it turned me off completely...I glanced at this thread and now am conflicted.

On a scale of 1 (stop reading IGN fool) and 10 (buy this already)...Where am I placed?!

Stop reading reviews for these types of games. Buy this already.

Also, you're aware that there's a demo, right? You can play around with the moves a bit there. Just know that what the demo shows you is basically somebody walking up to a piano and playing a single chord and the full game is a giant orchestra (in terms of variety and craziness).

Dr Dogg

They ebb and flow. Some are a little lackluster (relative to others) and some are just the best boss fights in an action game this generation.

Sure, can understand. They can't all be number 1's. Though so far they have been a blast. Providing there's no Fire Leo/Magnificent Five level of frustration then it's all gravy.

I can't understand why anyone would dismiss this game solely on reviews or that it's a WiiU game. Sure I can understand if it's the only game your interested in and don't want to shell out for a console for just 1 or 2 titles but if you're a fan, even only in passing of Clover and Platinum's past works you owe it to yourself to consider it.

I know some have seen this already but just for those who missed it - you can draw ultra fast if you hold L (zoom out button). Is this only with speed liner unlocked?

I actually made use of that to make big morphs when time was of the essence!

D-e-f-

Banned
I know some have seen this already but just for those who missed it - you can draw ultra fast if you hold L (zoom out button). Is this only with speed liner unlocked?

I actually made use of that to make big morphs when time was of the essence!

It was mentioned in the platinumblog tips & tricks edition. Speed Liner makes it even faster but L already speeds it up.

It was mentioned in the platinumblog tips & tricks edition. Speed Liner makes it even faster but L already speeds it up.

Just hunted down that blog post you speak of - had no idea how to do taunts and especially did not know they would boost attack power. This game!! Hahaha :)

daakusedo

I was working to get the baseball capsule and finished being amazed by that stadium battle. Instead of firing back the projectile at the big cannon, going in hot headed makes for a faster time and adrenaline. At first I was hero timing on the projectiles to then go on the cannon with a big punch and escaping when electricity appears.
Then I end up doing hero time on the electricity itself and when I could hero time again in the air just when the first one begin to disappear. And we finish laambo quickly on bomb and the long awaited three shots with the bat.
WILD.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
New favorite turtle method is hero timing in between the two, making a 100 man hammer and wonder cycloning both at the same time.

I really need to spend more time with other encounters. I suck vs claw dudes.

But turtles are so goddamn frequent and so goddamn fun

Fandangox

Damn, missing 2 Platinums; 008-C and 009-C.
I'm eons away from 009-C because I suck at vehicles

As long as you don't die in that 009c portion I think the damage there doesn't counts toward your rank, but I could be wrong. I have Platinum there, With PP in Time and Combo, with only Gold in damage.

Mononoke

Banned
Accidentally posted this in the review thread (I need to stop using Google to search, and just use the boards search):

I have to say, this is my game of the year. Honestly, it's just fantastic. This makes the WIi U worth owning. I'm surprised this didn't get better reviews. The controls aren't that hard (once you play it for an hour). And, it actually utilizes the Wii U pad better than most games.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
New favorite turtle method is hero timing in between the two, making a 100 man hammer and wonder cycloning both at the same time.

I really need to spend more time with other encounters. I suck vs claw dudes.

But turtles are so goddamn frequent and so goddamn fun
I'm really enjoying the secret hammer user against the turtles, his combo is really helpful.

Apart from bomb + fist I really don't see a way to deal with the claw dudes, there must be something else.

Funny thing I learned from the guide regarding the cube-monsters, you can break up any of their morphs if you're using the same weapon. This game.

Dr Dogg

Finished Operation 003 this morning and just done 004 and already this is turning out to be what I expected and a whole lot more. Found it genuinely funny in places.

Also I heard this was meant to be short? Unless I'm rubbish I'm up to 13 hours already. Give or take 2 hours off for menus and faffing. Though for me it's one of those games I don't care how long it is I just don't want it to end!

I'm really enjoying the secret hammer user against the turtles, his combo is really helpful.

Apart from bomb + fist I really don't see a way to deal with the claw dudes, there must be something else.

Funny thing I learned from the guide regarding the cube-monsters, you can break up any of their morphs if you're using the same weapon. This game.

Is the guide any good? Seeing as I've only just found out what Wonder Cards do I could do with some info for the inevitable Hard runthough.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
As long as you don't die in that 009c portion I think the damage there doesn't counts toward your rank, but I could be wrong. I have Platinum there, With PP in Time and Combo, with only Gold in damage.
Ahhh my problem is that I always die there...

Squishy3

I absolutely loathe that 009c portion. When I start going for pure platinums that is going to be my bane.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is the guide any good? Seeing as I've only just found out what Wonder Cards do I could do with some info for the inevitable Hard runthough.
It does the job, every collectibles and secret missions, maps and info about ennemies. I don't regret the purchase even though gamefaqs stepped up since then with nice txt file.

Regiruler

I think bomb in general also breaks them up.

Regiruler

Does anyone know the requirements to unlock
Operation 101
?
I've seen whispers of
it*
but I don't know how to access
it*
And for the love of god don't spoil what's in it.

How do I shoot open this door that has the P* logo on it?

What level is this? I don't remember anything of the sort.

TnK

Time for a little trivia guys. If I am not mistaken, operation 007 references
an old anime in which aliens invade the human body as viruses, and humans have to shrink themselves down to their size to stop them. They have a small ship of sorts to navigate through the human body. I forgot the name of the show. Used to watch it as a kid, and I remember loving it.
Given how Kamiya's games references old school animes a lot, this could be true.

EDIT: Now with spoiler tags.

Top Bottom