• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Haven't had a chance to really dig in yet, but my 3 year old (almost 4) played it for a while last night and I only had to help with a few things. He loves it though. When we were getting ready for bed, he asked me what the red guy's name was, then when i told him, he started running around punching imaginary bad guys saying "I'm Wonder Red!"

The game is really great, I think if it had some solid marketing it would've been amazing.
It is amazing, you'll see.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You guys do realize that negative responses are what drive by posts like that thrive on don't you?

No matter how clever you try to be, nothing hurts people like that more than simply being ignored.

Too late for that now, but remember that in the future.

You guys do realize that negative responses are what drive by posts like that thrive on don't you?

No matter how clever you try to be, nothing hurts people like that more than simply being ignored.

I figured it was bannable honestly. Not sure why it's ever allowed to begin with. It's the reason people keep doing it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Today is a sad day; WIndwaker finally comes in and my time with this game will be on hold for quite a while.

Stay Wonderful!

So I came into Operation 9B thinking I would just fight the end battle and beat one if the best games ever. Boy, how wrong I was. This place is a game in itself. Holy shit! The
return of Vorkken and his final "introduction" from Wonder Red
was the best thing ever, and it's still not over. I know I've said this in another thread already, but I seriously have no idea how Bayonetta 2 can top this. I'm at a loss right now, in a good way. This whole time I was thinking that this game would just be another great Platinum release, and Bayonetta 2 would be the official crowning jewel in their list of games.

That may have to be switched around...

Edit: Ok 9C...ok. You win. I was not ready for this.

Okay I'm in the
lava
stage, I think it's 005-B? And I'm stuck. I just put a
ball into a hole and got a giant golem guy on my squad. I start bringing him back and then the platform I'm on gets knocked sideways. I deflect a laser shot from the giant robot and the alien girl tries to join my team but Blue scares her away. Now I'm just stranded on this small platform and I cant figure out where to go. I tried making a ladder back up and that doesnt work. I try going off the side and I either die or just hit the lava...
Anyone know where the hell I'm supposed to go?

Okay I'm in the
lava
ball into a hole and got a giant golem guy on my squad. I start bringing him back and then the platform I'm on gets knocked sideways. I deflect a laser shot from the giant robot and the alien girl tries to join my team but Blue scares her away. Now I'm just stranded on this small platform and I cant figure out where to go. I tried making a ladder back up and that doesnt work. I try going off the side and I either die or just hit the lava...

Try Unite Claw.

Llyranor

Okay I'm in the
lava
Claws to climb

EDIT: GET OUT SILENT OCARINA

Kyzon

Okay I'm in the
lava

Whip out the claw and climb the wall iirc

Boogiepop

Just beat the game, and oh man that was great. The final final boss got me a bit down, part my pure stupidity and part something I'm still not sure of meant I died in that part like 5 times. At first I didn't realize
you were supposed to hit the glowing arm orbs and thought I need a giant unite morph, which meant I was stuck slowly charging up to get some damage in. Like I said, my pure, massive stupidity on that part. Though even once I figured that out for some reason I couldn't line myself up well to hit the leg ones. I ended up just picking them down bit by bit with Unite Gun, but that DEFINITELY wasn't right.
So yeah, I minor shame in that my stupidity kind of got in the way of the epic of the final boss, but any frustration I had at that point was cleared up by what has to be the single greatest QTE ever created.
I was dying when they started button mashing along with me.

So yeah, goddamn fantastic game, and it is an incredible, impossibly gigantic shame that this game isn't selling. (I'm assuming US numbers weren't any better than Japan/EU numbers?) I'll probably let it sit for a bit since I have a rather pressing backlog, but I'm definitely coming back to this in the future to aim for higher rankings, try out harder modes, get the rest of the collectables, and so on!

Oh, and is there a way to speed up fights with the
giant crab
type enemy? I was pretty much just waiting for it to
get up on it's legs and then go to town, crack it open, etc. But that makes for a lot of downtime waiting for the right moment.

God this is an awesome, wonderful game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I finally ended up picking this game up. Haven't touched the demo or seen any footage for the most part, any recommended vids I watch first? I hear the game systems will take some getting used to.

Some people are so angry that they don't have a Wii U to play TW101 that they have to take it out on all those that are enjoying it.

Agreed. I have a wii u but don't own the game yet and seeing this thread be at the front page of gaming discussion every day makes me sad I don't own it yet so i can see why others get all jealous and want to ruin others fun. Shame on you guys for enjoying an amazing game and making those who want to justify that they don't own a wii u by trolling.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You act like they had multi-console publishers wanting to publish W101 and Bayo2

NO ONE WANTED BAYO2!!!
...except Nintendo!!!

Get over it

Well that's the thing. We don't know what their options were.

People seem to paint this narrative that either Nintendo swooped in to save the game or that PG had to settle for them because they had no other options.

I mean either could very well be the case, but I don't think we have enough knowledge to say either or for sure.

Because it's not like the cancellation of the game was published. So it doesn't make sense to say Nintendo "saved" it. The idea was pitched to them.

And I mean let's be real if having Nintendo fully fund and distribute your game as a full priced box release is your "only" option, your situation is far from dire.

I mean shit that's an upgrade from Sega if you ask me. I don't see why it's so unbelievable that they could choose them over other options. They're like the perfect partner for the studio.

F me, i gotta grab this. My backlog is so massive right now though.

LOVED what i played from the demo. Both technically (fucking gorgeous) and gameplay wise. This thread just taunts me.....

Riposte

I'm pretty sure my biggest weakness in this game is my teammates getting knocked out. I need to find a way so that is less tedious.

Even after finishing the game it draws me back in. There is just so much to love about the base gameplay. Unlike many titles, this one simply gets better and deeper the more you understand of it. It's deliciously old school in that way.

For some reason it took me forever to realize that the team attacks did anything other than lock on. I had no idea they were this useful!

Timeaisis

I'm pretty sure my biggest weakness in this game is my teammates getting knocked out. I need to find a way so that is less tedious.

Did you know you can hold X to make them group together while dashing? It took me halfway through the game to realize this, I always just tapped it.

Did you know you can hold X to make them group together while dashing? It took me halfway through the game to realize this, I always just tapped it.

This is essential. However, what I didn't know is that whistling sound you hear you is if you hold dash to call people back from a team attack. I had no idea you could instead just tap it so your wonderful ones stay on their team attack and you get to run. That's awesome design there!

Proven

Just beat the game, and oh man that was great. The final final boss got me a bit down, part my pure stupidity and part something I'm still not sure of meant I died in that part like 5 times. At first I didn't realize
you were supposed to hit the glowing arm orbs and thought I need a giant unite morph, which meant I was stuck slowly charging up to get some damage in. Like I said, my pure, massive stupidity on that part. Though even once I figured that out for some reason I couldn't line myself up well to hit the leg ones. I ended up just picking them down bit by bit with Unite Gun, but that DEFINITELY wasn't right.
So yeah, I minor shame in that my stupidity kind of got in the way of the epic of the final boss, but any frustration I had at that point was cleared up by what has to be the single greatest QTE ever created.
I was dying when they started button mashing along with me.

So yeah, goddamn fantastic game, and it is an incredible, impossibly gigantic shame that this game isn't selling. (I'm assuming US numbers weren't any better than Japan/EU numbers?) I'll probably let it sit for a bit since I have a rather pressing backlog, but I'm definitely coming back to this in the future to aim for higher rankings, try out harder modes, get the rest of the collectables, and so on!

Oh, and is there a way to speed up fights with the
giant crab
type enemy? I was pretty much just waiting for it to
get up on it's legs and then go to town, crack it open, etc. But that makes for a lot of downtime waiting for the right moment.

God this is an awesome, wonderful game.
Against crabs, you can still attack them and do decent damage against them while waiting for a chance to hit their weakpoint. I'm usually under them doing Wonder Rising and alternating between different melee morphs and their combos, although Hand probably has the best DPS in this situation. They do have the highest or one of the highest health pools of any regular enemy though.

I find that weird to hear, because most people hold it down. Which is bad, because when you're doing platformer sections you need to tap it or else you won't see your character clearly enough and mistime a jump.

Riposte

I know about that.

Actually, I think the problem may be the fact I have skills that turns dodges into attacks and whatnot. Not sure if it matters.

I figured it was bannable honestly. Not sure why it's ever allowed to begin with. It's the reason people keep doing it.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why it's even allowed. It's a real shame.

You can draw a line while dashing around to sweep up dropped teammates quickly. Just tap Y and draw it and keep moving. It makes it go a little faster at least.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to deal with losing your people is to not get hit. This game is very momentum based.

When you do I think you have to play defense a bit. Unlike Bayonetta where there is no downstate and most blows are just glancing ones that don't put you in a disadvantageous position, I think getting hit in 101 is the polar opposite of that. Getting hit not only puts you in a downed state and a disadvantageous position, but limits your options as well. So it takes a different mindset to recover properly from that situation.

Against crabs, you can still attack them and do decent damage against them while waiting for a chance to hit their weakpoint. I'm usually under them doing Wonder Rising and alternating between different melee morphs and their combos, although Hand probably has the best DPS in this situation. They do have the highest or one of the highest health pools of any regular enemy though.

When the crab is on the ground and opens its mouth to shoot a bubble/laser, you can do wonder liner into its open mouth. Sends your people in there to fuck up its insides for massive damage before it vomits them out. Gotta be fast to react to the bubble though. Laser is easy but it doesn't seem to use the move that often probably by design

It's also vulnerable to the Unite Bomb + Attack Liner "exploit". Like all large enemies in the game.

I find that weird to hear, because most people hold it down. Which is bad, because when you're doing platformer sections you need to tap it or else you won't see your character clearly enough and mistime a jump.

You also move slower

You can draw a line while dashing around to sweep up dropped teammates quickly. Just tap Y and draw it and keep moving. It makes it go a little faster at least.

Can't draw a line if you have no guys.

Depending on the wave and difficulty, it's sometimes a better idea to just fall back and get better positioning while your guys revive automatically than try to run around and grab guys who are probably still in a dangerous area. Often I see people get caught up in a domino effect where they get stuck in this cycle of getting hit and trying to pick up their guys while getting hit.

I treat it like a fighting game. I got knocked down, now my options are limited. Now I gotta play defense for a little bit to get up properly and safely get back into the neutral game. Trying to be too aggressive and proactive has an inherent risk and might just make the situation worse.

Finally finished it. My God...my fucking God! The amount of shit they managed to pull off in one section of a game had to have set a record. Best action game ever, and by a good margin.

OryoN

That's certainly one good way to handle it. You can also use it as an opportunity to hype the game even more. Hence, my response. Other times, it's not so much about the troll than it is about setting the record straight for others who may be following/lurking.

I know about that.

Actually, I think the problem may be the fact I have skills that turns dodges into attacks and whatnot. Not sure if it matters.

Holding the Y button to group heroes also allows them to automatically evade attacks. It's very cool to watch them dodge attacks with cat-like reflexes!

F me, i gotta grab this. My backlog is so massive right now though.

LOVED what i played from the demo. Both technically (fucking gorgeous) and gameplay wise. This thread just taunts me.....
DO IT!!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Finally finished it. My God...my fucking God! The amount of shit they managed to pull off in one section of a game had to have set a record. Best action game ever, and by a good margin.

The only prior action game experience I can compare this to is Gunstar Heroes. Scaled up a dozen times from Gunstar, yes, and far longer. But it's the non-stop variety and invention, where entire games could be built around just a few of the ideas that come and go ten times in ten minutes.

Well that's the thing. We don't know what their options were.

People seem to paint this narrative that either Nintendo swooped in to save the game or that PG had to settle for them because they had no other options.

I mean either could very well be the case, but I don't think we have enough knowledge to say either or for sure.

Because it's not like the cancellation of the game was published. So it doesn't make sense to say Nintendo "saved" it. The idea was pitched to them.

And I mean let's be real if having Nintendo fully fund and distribute your game as a full priced box release is your "only" option, your situation is far from dire.

I mean shit that's an upgrade from Sega if you ask me. I don't see why it's so unbelievable that they could choose them over other options. They're like the perfect partner for the studio.
Bayonetta 2 definitely existed for other systems.

Bayonetta 2 was definitely cancelled.

It was pulled from a TGS reveal and a Game Informer reveal.

No one will come out and say "Hey, this game was killed by Sega and then Nintendo offered to publish it after they started working on W101" because Sega doesn't want it known how readily they'll axe projects, Platinum doesn't want it known Sega didn't have faith their game would sell, and Nintendo doesn't want to be thought of as picking up table scraps.

But trust me, the game was dead. Dead, dead, dead.

Anteo

Oh man I'm conflicted. This game is avalible in my country but is kind of pricey, I would save more with the dl version and premiun promo. But I want the disk so I can lend it to my friend who thinks this game is not worth it so he can play it. Desicions.. decisions (also I just remembered I need my copy of brawl back from said friend)

Also I played Bayo for the first time last friday. I can only say holy fucking shit.

JoeFenix

zlCfzRJl6bMe1dcWjJ

101% Hard completed! Didn't get PP on everything yet but I'll be slowly working on it, 66 hours on my file. If you're on the fence you should seriously consider dropping whatever other game you're currently playing and jump right in on this, especially if you love action games. This is a special game and if you invest a little time into learning how it works, the game will reward that investment ten times over. GOTY no doubt, nothing else can touch this for me this year, it's the most complete feeling game I've played in ages. Amazing/10

Your face will forever be masked.
Your tomb will forever be unknown.
You are truly a Wonderful one.

Top Bottom