• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Sakura

Gotta say, really enjoying this game so far. I don't think I'm that far though, so maybe it will get frustrating later (just finished Operation 002 I think?) But the gameplay, writing, characters, and style are all just really great.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2 definitely existed for other systems.

Bayonetta 2 was definitely cancelled.

It was pulled from a TGS reveal and a Game Informer reveal.

No one will come out and say "Hey, this game was killed by Sega and then Nintendo offered to publish it after they started working on W101" because Sega doesn't want it known how readily they'll axe projects, Platinum doesn't want it known Sega didn't have faith their game would sell, and Nintendo doesn't want to be thought of as picking up table scraps.

But trust me, the game was dead. Dead, dead, dead.

I'm not denying that it was cancelled by Sega. I think that's the only thing we know for a fact.

I just think it's weird to naturally draw the conclusion that Nintendo was a last resort, rather than that they were simply the best deal on the table.

because I imagine there was a period where they shopped the idea around to multiple publishers. There's probably a high chance that Nintendo was the only option, but I mean the idea of "settling" for Nintendo just strikes me as extremely odd. Unless you think they'd choose another publisher over them if it meant they could keep the game multi-plat.

because I mean they're fucking Nintendo. The game will probably turn out better under them than it would have under Sega.

The only downside exists in the minds of players. I HAVE TO BUY A NINTENDO SYSTEM TO PLAY IT FUCK NINTENDO

Proven

The only prior action game experience I can compare this to is Gunstar Heroes. Scaled up a dozen times from Gunstar, yes, and far longer. But it's the non-stop variety and invention, where entire games could be built around just a few of the ideas that come and go ten times in ten minutes.

Oh jeez, Gunstar Heroes is one of the perfect games to compare with this game. I promised myself long ago that if I ever made an action game, Gunstar Heroes would provide some amount of inspiration.

I'm not denying that it was cancelled by Sega. I think that's the only thing we know for a fact.

I just think it's weird to naturally draw the conclusion that Nintendo was a last resort, rather than that they were simply the best deal on the table.

because I imagine there was a period where they shopped the idea around to multiple publishers. There's probably a high chance that Nintendo was the only option, but I mean the idea of "settling" for Nintendo just strikes me as extremely odd. Unless you think they'd choose another publisher over them if it meant they could keep the game multi-plat.

because I mean they're fucking Nintendo. The game will probably turn out better under them than it would have under Sega.

The only downside exists in the minds of players. I HAVE TO BUY A NINTENDO SYSTEM TO PLAY IT FUCK NINTENDO

I've seen quite a few people interested in both W101 and Bayo 2, as well as a few other Ninty IPs and such, and still won't get a Wii U because "lol Wii". It's... rather odd.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
When the crab is on the ground and opens its mouth to shoot a bubble/laser, you can do wonder liner into its open mouth. Sends your people in there to fuck up its insides for massive damage before it vomits them out. Gotta be fast to react to the bubble though. Laser is easy but it doesn't seem to use the move that often probably by design

It's also vulnerable to the Unite Bomb + Attack Liner "exploit". Like all large enemies in the game.
You can send your guys inside the giant ennemy crabs just like in Wonder Toilets for massive damage? This is cool!

Regiruler

Why are you people going for Pure Platinum anyway? Is it actually needed for anything?

I thought you just had to get all standard platinum on one difficulty, and 101 just beaten?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you people going for Pure Platinum anyway? Is it actually needed for anything?

I thought you just had to get all standard platinum on one difficulty, and 101 just beaten?

To be the best!

Mistouze

Because they're crazy. Crazy I tell you.

Meanwhile I hope I'll get straight plats on normal for every stage.

JoeFenix

FUN FUN FUN!

When you complete that Final Results screen with all your shinies it's a good feeling too! I'll stop when I stop having fun, I don't know when I'll end up getting all of the Pure Peeps but for now I don't feel like playing anything else.

Proven

You're telling me that you don't Pure Platinum everything just for the hell of it?

...Wait, you're telling me I don't need to Pure Platinum everything to unlock anything? I really should have read those bottlecaps after all...

Mistouze

You're telling me that you don't Pure Platinum everything just for the hell of it?

...Wait, you're telling me I don't need to Pure Platinum everything to unlock anything? I really should have read those bottlecaps after all...
I'm not even sure you need to get all the plats on the same difficulty. I think you only need one Platinum trophy in each column of the results chart. I'm aiming to get rid of my silvers on normal and then I'll see what feels possible to me.

I'm doing my hard mode run right now and the Drill Spring morph is pissing me off so much, you have no idea.

You may think you do.

But you don't.

TnK

So drill morph becomes useless later on?

Got the guide, wohoo. Hopefully I will find all the hidden stuff now. Will finish Rayman Legends, then go on a Hard, 101%. Will probably try to platinum hard or 101%. Which is better?

Neff

I'm doing my hard mode run right now and the Drill Spring morph is pissing me off so much, you have no idea.

You may think you do.

But you don't.

It has its uses (ie against soft enemies), but accidentally grazing anything with a hard/sharp surface while you dodge will have your entire team knocked out.

I haven't bought it since I first tried it, and the first time I tried it, I turned it off.

Turn it off.

Mistouze

It has its uses (ie against soft enemies), but accidentally grazing anything with a hard/sharp surface while you dodge will have your entire team knocked out.

I haven't bought it since I first tried it, and the first time I tried it, I turned it off.

Turn it off.
It's too useful for me, I'd rather learn when to not use it (like against turtles) than not having it in my arsenal.

You absolutely need it for some of the KRs where it's almost your only way to deal damage.

JoeFenix

Just went through
Operation 101
and managed to get a Gold. It's not as brutal as Angel Slayer in Bayonetta honestly.

It basically takes place in the Kahkoo-Regah arena and has 31 missions, you get graded after 6 missions and the final one is a boss fight. The first 3 sets are basically repurposed Kahkoo-Regahs from the main game but then it gets really fun and starts throwing pure combat waves at you with no gimmicks. I actually had alot more trouble with set 2 and 3 than 4 and 5 even though, like in Bayonetta, you start on what seems like normal difficulty and gradually move on to 101% Hard.

It was definitely fun and I came REALLY close to dying once but somehow I made it through, unlocked Infinite Battery custom block which you need to purchase for 2 million (use a credit card) at the WonderMart. I wasn't liking the fact that it recycled the Kahkoo-Regah fights at first but it gets alot more exciting after mission 18. I do think that Bayonetta did it better though, the gimmick fights really got on my nerves in Op 101. Angel Slayer was something you could just boot up if you wanted to get a super condensed version of Bayonetta, they had you fighting combos of enemies that were really challenging at times, I wish Op 101 had followed that template a bit more .

TnK

Just went through
Operation 101
and managed to get a Gold. It's not as brutal as Angel Slayer in Bayonetta honestly.

It basically takes place in the Kahkoo-Regah arena and has 31 missions, you get graded after 6 missions and the final one is a boss fight. The first 3 sets are basically repurposed Kahkoo-Regahs from the main game but then it gets really fun and starts throwing pure combat waves at you with no gimmicks. I actually had alot more trouble with set 2 and 3 than 4 and 5 even though, like in Bayonetta, you start on what seems like normal difficulty and gradually move on to 101% Hard.

It was definitely fun and I came REALLY close to dying once but somehow I made it through, unlocked Infinite Battery custom block which you need to purchase for 2 million (use a credit card) at the WonderMart. I wasn't liking the fact that it recycled the Kahkoo-Regah fights at first but it gets alot more exciting after mission 18. I do think that Bayonetta did it better though, the gimmick fights really got on my nerves in Op 101. Angel Slayer was something you could just boot up if you wanted to get a super condensed version of Bayonetta, they had you fighting combos of enemies that were really challenging at times, I wish Op 101 had followed that template a bit more .

I have never managed to unlock angel slayer even though I finished bayonetta on all difficulities. How does one unlock that mode?

JoeFenix

I have never managed to unlock angel slayer even though I finished bayonetta on all difficulities. How does one unlock that mode?

Find and finish all the Alfheim portals on a single difficulty from what I can remember.

Oh and I got
Jeanne earlier today, she's a sword user and wields her Angel Slayer blade from Bayonetta which is crazy cool. Her dodge also looks like Gomorrah, the attention to detail is insane on these extra characters. Tommorow I should have everything unlocked including Bayonetta, can't wait!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Even Kamiya clearly stated that the game exists only because of Nintendo. I think that we should accept it.

On topic: I've finished Mission 002, and I'm already in love with the game. Amazing...

Dr Dogg

I've seen quite a few people interested in both W101 and Bayo 2, as well as a few other Ninty IPs and such, and still won't get a Wii U because "lol Wii". It's... rather odd.

While far be it from me to dictate other peoples purchases, I've always seen it as the games dictate the system not the other way around. I mean I bought a Wii for No More Heroes and MadWorld regardless that it was a Nintendo product or any Wii stigma because I was interested in those 2 titles specifically.

Sure maybe if you don't want to shell out because you'd only be buying into it for 1 maybe 2 games that's understandable or lack of funds, a cost or space issue but a stance of 'just because' I feel is a little short sighted. But hey that's just some people, their loss I suppose.

Fandangox

I am very close to getting all bottlecaps, but as much as I want I won't be able to marathon the game, don't even know when I will be able to play vidcons again until further notice.

The pain man, the pain.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You don't know what love is just yet, but you will soon.

Yes, as I was saying in the other thread, I know that the game continue to delight
Funny thing is: I don't even know why and how to describe I'm loving it so much.
It is simply that everything seems in the right place at the right moment, and the gameplay feeling is simply RIGHT too...

Mistouze

I am very close to getting all bottlecaps, but as much as I want I won't be able to marathon the game, don't even know when I will be able to play vidcons again until further notice.

The pain man, the pain.
How many caps remaining? I'll try to close the gap while you're away.

Quick question, i beat the game on normal difficulty, but i dont see a hard mode. Do i have to beat all the secret missions and the K(whatever they are called) areas also to unlock hard mode?

Mistouze

Quick question, i beat the game on normal difficulty, but i dont see a hard mode. Do i have to beat all the secret missions and the K(whatever they are called) areas also to unlock hard mode?
Look on the gamepad in the "Start operation/Deploy" menu!

Mistouze

If your meaning where you select very easy, easy, and normal i did, and there was no "hard" mode
Uh oh that's not normal, it definitely should be there. A little "W" should have appeared on the save file, you mightwant to redo the epilogue on normal to unlock it.

Scum

zlCfzRJl6bMe1dcWjJ

I kept getting the Consolation Prize on the Epilogue. Then I remembered why. ;_;

:lol

Uh oh that's not normal, it definitely should be there. A little "W" should have appeared on the save file, you mightwant to redo the epilogue on normal to unlock it.

Did you save after the epilogue and those two pieces of art? I turned it off there because I assumed it must have autosaved my finishing the game or something. It didn't, it eventually asks you to save manually.

Hm, I let the entire game go through the epilogue and finish until it returned me to the very beginning screen, but i only remember one piece of art (the one with everyone on it where you can move the zoomed in screen around on the gamepad). Im at work atm but i could swear there was a "W" on the save file. Maybe i accidently played a couple missions on easy somewhere and thats whats causing it. Either of you know if you need to complete all the secret missions and the special battle areas (whatever they were called) or just beat all of the operations on normal to unlock it?

Mistouze

Either of you know if you need to complete all the secret missions and the special battle areas (whatever they were called) or just beat all of the operations on normal to unlock it?
Nah there's nothing like that, you just need to complete the game on Normal to unlock the Hard difficulty.

Nah there's nothing like that, you just need to complete the game on Normal to unlock the Hard difficulty.

ok, thats really making me think i probably accidently played a couple missions on easy then, probably at the very beginning of the game. Ill have to check tonight when i get home. Thanks for the help.

Fandangox

How many caps remaining? I'll try to close the gap while you're away.

Custom Block

GEARTH Slayer

You can hole up, but you can't hide

Operation Annihilation

Wonderful Hero (bet the game in 101%)

Get all Figurines

101 Bottlecap.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, I love that I only realized to try pronouncing the enemy names and thinking on it around halfway through. So many punny Japanese names I missed!

Also, I was thinking last night on how many little references to Nintendo/Clover/Platinum stuff found their way into the game, kind of like Bayonetta with the Sega/Clover stuff.

Off the top of my head, there's:
-All the stuff named Platinum of course, plus all the cherry blossoms and Clover Elementary.
I think a couple of the skills at least. Witch time and Hero time for sure, of course.
Circling the flower beds, and in a related manner the whole Wonder Liner is kind of an evolution of the Celestial Brush now that I think about it.
I've heard that at least Bayonetta is unlockable, but that's kind of straightforward.
Turning into a little dog or whatever in the solo fight as Blue made me think of Okami, at least, though I didn't get a great look at that one.
Then there's the obvious Punch-out references.
And the boss fight against a brain followed by escaping an exploding planet through tunnels made me think of Star Fox.

I'm sure there's others I'm missing, so anyone got anything else?

Proven

Oh yeah, I love that I only realized to try pronouncing the enemy names and thinking on it around halfway through. So many punny Japanese names I missed!

Also, I was thinking last night on how many little references to Nintendo/Clover/Platinum stuff found their way into the game, kind of like Bayonetta with the Sega/Clover stuff.

Off the top of my head, there's:
-All the stuff named Platinum of course, plus all the cherry blossoms and Clover Elementary.
I think a couple of the skills at least. Witch time and Hero time for sure, of course.
Circling the flower beds, and in a related manner the whole Wonder Liner is kind of an evolution of the Celestial Brush now that I think about it.
I've heard that at least Bayonetta is unlockable, but that's kind of straightforward.
Turning into a little dog or whatever in the solo fight as Blue made me think of Okami, at least, though I didn't get a great look at that one.
Then there's the obvious Punch-out references.
And the boss fight against a brain followed by escaping an exploding planet through tunnels made me think of Star Fox.

I'm sure there's others I'm missing, so anyone got anything else?

There's a bunch. Someone many pages and moons ago made a huge list of stuff.

And the dog is actually a reference to a boss fight in God Hand.

I hate action games, a lot I don't know why but they just don't do it for me. I played this game at a friends house and have to say that it is by far the best freaking game that has come out this year. Amazingly awesome in every aspect.

I'm still feeling high off of the end game. I know it probably sounds like a markish thing to say, but it really was worth the price of admission alone. Best way I can describe it is that it's everything you could hope for, everything you didn't know you wanted, and everything it could have possibly been. It's quite perfect, and really encompasses what makes gaming the special medium it is, though in a different way than other special titles. It's possible that they have ruined action games for me the same way Super Metroid ruined 2D exploration in that I can play others and enjoy them, but it just won't be the same due to how perfect this has come together and achieved it's own potential.

What a bunch of evil genius bastards you all are, Platinum.

There's a bunch. Someone many pages and moons ago made a huge list of stuff.

And the dog is actually a reference to a boss fight in God Hand.

Vorkken was a a reference to Another Joe right? That was the first thing I'd thought about, especially during the last encounter with him.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah. One more thing I was wondering about: is there any decent way to deal with the
Unite Bomb-esque effects that prevent any attacks inside them that some enemies can use? The best thing I could figure was to move back and use range, but since they last for a good chunk of time I wasn't sure. Felt a little inefficient whenever I did it.

And how's the multiplayer mode? I haven't gotten a chance to try it, but since I'm one of those types who actually draws on the pad for the most part, I'm having trouble imagining exactly how that controls.

Lenardo

Banned
finally started this last night, fun, Finally mastered multiple attacks, atleast with swords out.

one thing though, when do you get the gun/green guy? i just beat umm the scorpion thing but did not get the tail to drop. finally realized what the wonderfood was for (played the demo over and over and never used the food)

so far have bought the first two defensive things the jello mold and spring.

only played for ~hr.

Top Bottom