• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Hypron

That's just the name of the weapons for Wonder-Sister if I remember correctly. Personally, I saw it more as a Paradisio and Inferno reference from Bayonetta. Her stance is essentially Bayonetta's too.

Heaven or hell is also a difficulty mode in the DMC games.

I fucking hate persistant glitches:

Speaking of glitches, I was watching some Let's Player play the game and he was using Wonder Beer and instead of a fist, he had like a karate hand just chopping away.

It seemed like a glitch but a karate hand in a game like this is one funny glitch because it seemed to go with the action though it was a useless move.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just realized that the
Shirogane Comet is essentially the space colony where Vanquish takes place

I thought it looked familiar but watching some of the cutscenes again made it pretty clear.

One of the shots even has the exact same framing, I love this type of stuff!

*spoiler* http://i.imgur.com/7c4AG8Z.gif *spoiler*

The whole story is Kamiya's meta commentary on Platinum Games as a developer and him as a twitter user versus legions of dumbass, jerky gamers.

Not really.

Maybe.

JoeFenix

zlCfzRJx5zEUGRoKem

Bayonetta, this is your time
You're gonna sparkle,
You're gonna shine
Girl when you fight,
it looks like a dance
You are magic, you're magic

TnK

I really enjoyed Jap dub, and I'll be playing through English next. I think it's good voice acting all round, with different cultural nuances. Jap one has completely different jokes and dialogue from english text sometimes.
So, if it is played with the Japanese dub on, there are different subtitles? I think it is worth going through the game on Japanese for the new jokes.
The game that keeps on giving.

Edit: Saw someone on Miiverse that stated a possible
Guilty Gear
reference with one of the Wonders you find. I took a glance and saw something about
Heaven or Hell
, but didn't read it fully since I had to leave. Any truth, or was he just looking too hard? I know that phrase is in the series, but I guess it could be anything really.
Heaven or Hell in Guilty Gear is by itself a reference to Black Sabbath's song, Heaven and Hell. Could be that W101 is referencing that.

The whole story is Kamiya's meta commentary on Platinum Games as a developer and him as a twitter user versus legions of dumbass, jerky gamers.

Not really.

Maybe.
I don't know why, but I laughed at this more than I should have.

NEO0MJ

So I need a little help with a boss.

Specifically the boss of chapter 2-C, the giant robot. How do I stop his drill missile attacks that he fires from his head? Also, can we stop the spiked bombs he fires from his chest before they land on the tower? Any other tips will help, I'm trying to beat him without using items.

Edit: Beat it.

Not really.

Maybe.

Stuff being a "meta commentary" is my favorite bubbling GAF meme. I laugh every time this is the answer for something.

And this game needs an OST release NOW. Please Platinum, I need properly end diplomacy in the real, and this music in my ears will help me achieve that.

Playing through again on hard mode, now with an pro controller. I definitely recommend picking one up. It changes your perspective on the system. Almost feels like youre playing an xbox, haha.

You'll actually want to have the rumble feature turned on when using the pro controller. It feels good, and makes the experience better. It doesnt feel over used, and has layers to how strong the rumble is. Seems like with the gamepad, its always on blast.

Fandangox

I think I will have access to the game again tomorrow.

I was on the middle of 101% I hope the week without playing didn't leave me too rusty.

NEO0MJ

How exactly does counter work? And what attacks can I counter? For example (mission 4 spoilers)

Can I counter Vorkken's boomerang/hammer/claw attack?

I fully intended to put it in this thread because Lowrule is a thing in this game. =P

Ha. I'm still at Mission 4 so I don't know of it.

Proven

How exactly does counter work? And what attacks can I counter? For example (mission 4 spoilers)

Ha. I'm still at Mission 4 so I don't know of it.
Wait, you mean Wonder Counter or Unite Guts?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Works exactly like MoMK in Bayonetta and you can counter/parry all of those attacks

Best option is to dodge into Hero Time for Boomerang though, as that's one of the few Unite Morphs Vorkken is still vulnerable during. So you can to ALOT of damage.

Unite Guts is best option for Hammer since it stuns

and Claws I just get out of the way. He's invul during it making hero time pointless and it lasts too long for parry to be worth the risk

NEO0MJ

Wait, you mean Wonder Counter or Unite Guts?

Wonder counter, though I guess it wouldn't hurt to provide more info on unite guts.

"I don't have any parents."
"Oh snap!"
Wonder Blue is pretty great.

"Cool Story, bro."

Best option is to dodge into Hero Time for Boomerang though, as that's one of the few Unite Morphs Vorkken is still vulnerable during. So you can to ALOT of damage.

Wait, what's hero time?

So, I've had it since launch, played with the Gamepad and was totally not feeling it. Here I am, a couple of weeks later after grabbing that $11 pro controller from Best Buy and the game clicked. Can't say for sure if the controller has swayed me or if I've simply acclimated to the game but I must say, damn, this is good.

JoeFenix

I've discovered some new tech that is just INCREDIBLY good.

Not sure how I feel about
Bayonetta though
will definitely have to experiement with her some more to figure out if I'm missing something.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if it's new tech, but today I figured out you could dodge cancel morph breaks while fighting the fast claw dudes.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You mean if you hit them while they're blocking and your morph breaks?

Yeah.

You have a window after a clash with an armored enemy where your move bounces back before it breaks. If you Spring during that window you cancel the rest of the animation and don't lose your members

JoeFenix

Yeah.

You have a window after a clash with an armored enemy where your move bounces back before it breaks. If you Spring during that window you cancel the rest of the animation and don't lose your members

Yeah, that definitely happened to me a few times, I never really took the time to test it out though. You can pretty much option select when using Guts by doing a Hero Counter while your Guts is active. It's useful in situations where you're blocking multiple things in a row and you're not sure if your Guts will stay active long enough or if you'll take damage.

Are you playing on 101% Hard yet? I'm finding that Unite Big is super good but not a panacea at all in terms of getting Pure Platinum. In certain situations it's definitely borderline broken but most of the time you use it to finish off enemies quickly when you're done getting combo points out of them. I'm definitely having alot of fun exploring the combat system and finding ways to get more combo quicker, I actually wish you could turn off the slowdown while drawing for every difficulty at this point.

Dammit. That's even more motivation, but I just don't think I have the skills to get there. Jesus that's awesome.

If you're motivated you can DEFINITELY get her, you just have to dedicate some time to it. You can get the Platinums on Very Easy if you need to and the only other challenging thing would be to finish all the Kahkoo-Regahs, that would require some practice and patience if you're not super proficient at the game.

It's definitely doable though, it's not as bad as it seems!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that definitely happened to me a few times, I never really took the time to test it out though. You can pretty much option select when using Guts by doing a Hero Counter while your Guts is active. It's useful in situations where you're blocking multiple things in a row and you're not sure if your Guts will stay active long enough or if you'll take damage.

Yep. It's a godsend during that one insane optional mission on....002A I think? I think you get some invincibility off of a successful parry as well so it can take off some of the pressure of being bombarded by offscreen projectiles so rapidly

Something I wanted to experiment with was seeing if it was possible to get the parry and the guts off a single move with this method but on most things I think it's one or the other. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get dodge and counter off of the same move though

Are you playing on 101% Hard yet? I'm finding that Unite Big is super good but not a panacea at all in terms of getting Pure Platinum.

Not yet. Haven't had the time. Hope to dig into a bit this weekend.

and yeah Unite Big I'm putting in game breaking territory. I don't want to use it too much in my PP runs. (I've also turned off attack liner to get off the crutch of using it and bomb to take out big enemies)

In certain situations it's definitely borderline broken but most of the time you use it to finish off enemies quickly when you're done getting combo points out of them. I'm definitely having alot of fun exploring the combat system and finding ways to get more combo quicker, I actually wish you could turn off the slowdown while drawing for every difficulty at this point.

You try Immorta's yet? It's the best one by far.

and yeah I'm right there with you. Still feel like there's so much to learn about this game even with people finally unlocking everything

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If it's quinntendopower I believe it.

Shame he got banned on here.

NEO0MJ

Just beat chapter 5, I now see why people go nuts after they play it. Don't know how they can top that crazy, though I know people say it does.

El Odio

Banned
Just finished up Operation 004-A. I wanted to stay out of this thread until I progressed a bit in the game and now that I have all I can say is HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING! Normally I'm not a fan of constant QTE's but every time the game stops for "Unite ____" I get excited cause I know it's probably gonna lead to an awesome moment. And the bosses! They have more content than most final bosses these days and I can't wait to see how much better and intense this gets.
Also Professor Shirogane is the best.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just finished up Operation 004-A. I wanted to stay out of this thread until I progressed a bit in the game and now that I have all I can say is HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING! Normally I'm not a fan of constant QTE's but every time the game stops for "Unite ____" I get excited cause I know it's probably gonna lead to an awesome moment. And the bosses! They have more content than most final bosses these days and I can't wait to see how much better and intense this gets.
Also Professor Shirogane is the best.
I just stopped at 009-C, I'll finish my first run tomorrow. Allow me to say you haven't seen anything. It's a constant escalation, it's the craziest game I've ever played.

fred

Really glad to see more and more people on here buying and playing this masterpiece. Going to be interesting to see whether the price cut and release of the Wind Waker HD bundle helps out with the sales of this game and others released previously.

Fandangox

Holy shiiiiiit!

I don't mind spoiling myself anyway, because I'll probably lose patience way before getting there.

Welp, maybe in a year or two. :p

Its actually very doable. The biggest barrier for me was that
Kahkooh-regah on the epilogue on hard.

It could also be hard to find all the hidden files and stuff in the game (some are very well hidden), but with enough scavenging they can be found.

Plus some of these bottlecaps can be achieved in any difficulty, if you are having trouble with it.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Its actually very doable. The biggest barrier for me was that
Kahkooh-regah on the epilogue on hard.

It could also be hard to find all the hidden files and stuff in the game (some are very well hidden), but with enough scavenging they can be found.

Plus some of these bottlecaps can be achieved in any difficulty, if you are having trouble with it.

I've just honestly been really bad at finding all the Hidden Missions. I barely encountered any Kahkooh-Regahs or secret areas in my playthough of the game. Feel like I'll have to rely on Guides when going back through on Hard, but that's kinda sucky.

Fandangox

I've just honestly been really bad at finding all the Hidden Missions. I barely encountered any Kahkooh-Regahs or secret areas in my playthough of the game. Feel like I'll have to rely on Guides when going back through on Hard, but that's kinda sucky.

The easiest way to find them is to try to wonder circle very thing you see and always backtrack a bit between missions.

There kahkooh regah that I found accidentally.
In 004A there's a mission in which you have to sink in the water to beat some enemies below, the mission start before you sink to the water. One of the times I was replaying that level I got distracted in that same spot without pausing, and when I came back the enemies had swan upwards to where I was, if you bet them without sinking to the water, you will unlock the Kahkooh regah that is a bit farther back.

Also has anyone tried to dodge right at the moment you repel an attack with unite guts? If timed right it will give you a hero time, it is pretty useful.

Top Bottom