• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it counts, it makes getting Pure Platinum on that level absolute hell. It just sucks.

Isn't it just a matter of memorization?

Did you see the video of Resonance somethings completion? He just leaves the Meiser in certain parts of the screen at certain times and just clears enough of the debris to not hit it

The shooter sections are way worse for me because visibility is so poor. (Sky blue projectiles on sky blue background) but I figure those are just a matter of memorization as well.

Fandangox

Oh it counts, it makes getting Pure Platinum on that level absolute hell. It just sucks.

Oh I see. I haven't tried to PP any stage yet except for 007A which I did as a test run and 001C which I got it while casually replaying it.

That last section of 009C was really frustrasting at first, but the more I played that stage the less frustrating it became and it became a lot more fun. Then again I really didn't worry if I got hit there, as I didn't need it when getting Platinum Paragon cause I could just do better in the rest of the stage.

I do imagine it must be really frustrating to have a perfect run and then just get hit in that part.

I really want to buy a Wii U just for this game and Super Mario World 3D, but man, I just can't justify a console for two games. I know I'll end up with one eventually for X, but I feel like I can wait for a price drop or a REALLY great bundle.

GAF, straighten out my thinking here.

popyea

Oh I see. I haven't tried to PP any stage yet except for 007A which I did as a test run and 001C which I got it while casually replaying it.

That last section of 009C was really frustrasting at first, but the more I played that stage the less frustrating it became and it became a lot more fun. Then again I really didn't worry if I got hit there, as I didn't need it when getting Platinum Paragon cause I could just do better in the rest of the stage.

I do imagine it must be really frustrating to have a perfect run and then just get hit in that part.

It'd be absolutely fine if there was a checkpoint, or at least a way to easily retry until you've mastered it. Playing those first 10 minutes of the boss over and over again gets really tedious.

Fandangox

I really want to buy a Wii U just for this game and Super Mario World 3D, but man, I just can't justify a console for two games. I know I'll end up with one eventually for X, but I feel like I can wait for a price drop or a REALLY great bundle.

If X is your most expected one out of the three then I'd recommend to just wait till it drops, it is likely Wii U would be cheaper by then.

If you just as interested in 3DWorld and W101 as you are in X I'd then say its a good time to jump in. Wii U also has some interesting eShop games and other good retail exclusives games like Pikmin 3 and ZombiU to check out.

D-e-f-

Banned

Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Toki Tori 2+, Wind Waker HD, New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Earthbound + improved multiplats. There's a lot more here than just two games. And there has JUST been a big price drop. Resistance is futile. :)

the TMO

This game is an awesome experience. It was like plaing Super Mario Bros for the first time.
There will NEVER and EVER be another game like this.

NEVER.

Team, Unite up! *Roger*

If X is your most expected one out of the three then I'd recommend to just wait till it drops, it is likely Wii U would be cheaper by then.

If you just as interested in 3DWorld and W101 as you are in X I'd then say its a good time to jump in. Wii U also has some interesting eShop games and other good retail exclusives games like Pikmin 3 and ZombiU to check out.

Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Toki Tori 2+, Wind Waker HD, New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Earthbound + improved multiplats. There's a lot more here than just two games. And there has JUST been a big price drop. Resistance is futile. :)

The improved multiplats don't do anything for me as I'll be playing those on PC. It's the exclusives that I want. I'd jump in if I felt as good about it as I did my 3DS purchase.

I have an unhealthy anticipation for X, so I think it's unfair to compare Mario World and W101. I also am interested in Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 - I just don't want to get burned in the future due to a lack of titles.

D-e-f-

Banned
The improved multiplats don't do anything for me as I'll be playing those on PC. It's the exclusives that I want. I'd jump in if I felt as good about it as I did my 3DS purchase.

I have an unhealthy anticipation for X, so I think it's unfair to compare Mario World and W101. I also am interested in Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 - I just don't want to get burned in the future due to a lack of titles.

Do/did you own a Wii? Your anticipation of X makes it sound like you might have played Xenoblade? But if not, then there's a gigantic library of awesome stuff there to get on the cheap and play when the new releases don't float your boat.

jacksrb

Finished the game (finally) last night.

This game.....Nucking Futs.

I think it was so varied that it felt uneven, but I loved the style, the story, and the core gameplay.

When you inhabit (200 of) the giant robots that were as big as a skyscraper in operation 1 to fight, that really made me smile.

Fandangox

Well W101 has a lot of replayability, so that should keep you busy if you like it.

Oh I guess there's also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
I got it on the last sale and its really fun with friends.

ciccione

I think that if someone is even barely interested in action games, the chance to play W101 is widely worth the purchase of the Wii U. This game is a pure gem. If you are not buying it you do so at your own risk.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This game is an awesome experience. It was like plaing Super Mario Bros for the first time.
There will NEVER and EVER be another game like this.

NEVER.

Team, Unite up! *Roger*
I believe in Hideki Kamiya and PlatinumGames. *salutes*

I have a question for you guys, if you could ge only ONE figure of a character/ennemy/element of this game, what would it be?

Personally?
It would the Vorkhen's Meizer, that shark ship looks so boss

JoeFenix

Isn't it just a matter of memorization?

Did you see the video of Resonance somethings completion? He just leaves the Meiser in certain parts of the screen at certain times and just clears enough of the debris to not hit it

The shooter sections are way worse for me because visibility is so poor. (Sky blue projectiles on sky blue background) but I figure those are just a matter of memorization as well.

You have to go through 12 minutes of 9-C just to get ONE try of this stupid section.

I haven't even bothered after trying 3-4 times originally, I just don't feel like it. It's certainly doable but it's not fun at all.

NEO0MJ

I have a question for you guys, if you could ge only ONE figure of a character/ennemy/element of this game, what would it be?

Personally?

For me, it has to be
Laambo and his brother, Waaltha Those two are for me the best design that came out of this game.

Is there a link to the full "artwork gallery" of the game? The concept art looks awesome!

Would love it if Nintendo released an artbook for this game.

I believe in Hideki Kamiya and PlatinumGames. *salutes*

Personally?

Platinum-Robo with Virgin Victory gun accessory.

Fandangox

Any deals going for this? I want something to play this weekend and Redbox doesn't carry Wii U games so I'll have to buy new.

Haven't seen any deals around, and the black friday gamestop ad didn't seem to have anything for Wii U either.

Either way for me this game was worth full price, it has lots of replayability.

IrishNinja

this game is cool but i am totally playing it wrong...im in the 2nd mission, and getting whupped up by those moving cannons with shields on them...clearly a war of attrition is not the best move!

a) i can make a large sword quickly so i mostly do that which is dumb cause it makes me slow
b) i cant draw a fist quickly but when i do pull it off it's a shitty small one that does like chip damage
c) the game mentioned having 2 teams work on different things but i totally didn't get that bit so they mostly stand uselessly by while we get mowed down
d) i have bought nothing in the shop cause i dunno
e) i think i got another shape/ability? not sure though

pls help

NEO0MJ

Man, this game bombed so hard. I should hunt down everyone who said they were gonna wait for the game to bomb.

I just started and beat the first three missions. This thing has Bayonetta's DNA all over it, I love it.

It's a pretty different beast IMO.

Any deals going for this? I want something to play this weekend and Redbox doesn't carry Wii U games so I'll have to buy new.

But it now, the game deserves it.

Shauni

I've been playing it off and on. Not been able to really sit down and play it like I want due to a lot of reasons, but I am loving what I've played thus far. I don't get the issues with drawing shapes. It takes a minute to get it down, but once you do it's insanely simple.

But I am stuck at Operation 3-B. When you're in the rotating ship and there's a big fire blocking your way. I thought maybe you had to glide through it, but it doesn't seem like you can.

this game is cool but i am totally playing it wrong...im in the 2nd mission, and getting whupped up by those moving cannons with shields on them...clearly a war of attrition is not the best move!

a) i can make a large sword quickly so i mostly do that which is dumb cause it makes me slow
b) i cant draw a fist quickly but when i do pull it off it's a shitty small one that does like chip damage
c) the game mentioned having 2 teams work on different things but i totally didn't get that bit so they mostly stand uselessly by while we get mowed down
d) i have bought nothing in the shop cause i dunno
e) i think i got another shape/ability? not sure though

pls help

Stop what you're doing, go to the shop, buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring. Use Unite Guts on the tanks to reflect the shots and their attempts to run you over.

a) Press Y to dissolve the morph to run normally and press A to attack. You don't have to draw each time you want to attack. If you make a giant shape, your character will have a aura or fire around them, which means if you press A again you'll instantly make a giant morph.

b) Spinning the right stick should give you a fist really easy, but hold L to help draw faster and bigger circles.

c) The two teams thing refers to two things where if you press X you'll launch your guys at an enemy and if you launch enough they'll immobilize the enemy so you can do more damage. You can also use them to do more Unite attacks. Draw the shape but instead of pressing A, press X and they'll make a Unite Morph to attack on their own. You can have up to four guys attack alongside you for five attacks going at once.

d) As said before, get Unite Guts and Unite Spring ASAP. After that you want to get one or two Custom Blocks. You want the one that recharges your Unite Gauge faster and Hero Time. They also have a block that allows you to make a bigger Unite Morph just by holding A. If you're having trouble making bigger shapes in the heat of battle, that's a good piece to get.

e) On the Gamepad Screen, there's a tab on the top that says "Quick Help" that'll show you all the tools you have available. If you got a new morph, it'll be there. I imagine if you're at the start of the game, it's Unite Gun. Draw a short line up then make a long one to the side like a right angle to make it.

But I am stuck at Operation 3-B. When you're in the rotating ship and there's a big fire blocking your way. I thought maybe you had to glide through it, but it doesn't seem like you can.

Unite Gun.

I don't know how you feel about the Lego series (I was never particularly a fan), but Lego City is a great game. The loading times are pretty bad and it's pretty easy, but the humor and characters are really great. Very enjoyable game that is worth checking out. I wouldn't consider it a system seller, but it's worth adding to the list.

More on topic, I personally do think if you are very interested in TW101 and SM3DW, the system is worth buying. I don't know how the release schedule will be, but the future lineup of exclusives is really strong imo.

probably been stated already, but as a lefty, I don' t have problems drawing shapes and getting them to work. Hold the stylus in left hand, draw tnen press x or a.

I can't believe I was worried about the controls. Got to find more time to play this game.

fred

Don't get it for just two games. There are 10 must-own games for the Wii U so far:

NSMB U
NSL U
ZombiU
Batman Arkham City
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Rayman Legends
Wind Waker HD

It had a very rocky start for a while but a console having 10 must-own titles before it's 11 months old is pretty impressive for my money. Buy it, you know you want to!

OryoN

Hey guys, wasn't there a link/post that listed all the requirements for platinum medals and other stuff. If so, can someone please link me to it. Thx!

Marjar

Banned
I finally tried out the demo for this game.

I gotta say, even though I'm not a Platinum Games fan in the slightest, I actually really enjoyed it. I think I'm gonna buy it, despite the fact that I suck complete and total ass at it.

Fandangox

I gotta say, even though I'm not a Platinum Games fan in the slightest, I actually really enjoyed it. I think I'm gonna buy it, despite the fact that I suck complete and total ass at it.

If you enjoyed the demo then you are going to love this game. Some were put off by the demo it seems.

The more you play it the more fun it gets.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Start in very easy snd enjoy the ride. You will play the game at least a second time in normal anyway, based on my experience.

Fandangox

I recommend to start in Normal.

Playing in easy or below enemies die to quickly for you to experiment attacks and combos approaches. The deep mechanics won't benefit from the easy modes.

Regiruler

I recommend to start in Normal.

Playing in easy or below enemies die to quickly for you to experiment attacks and combos approaches. The deep mechanics won't benefit from the easy modes.

If you know what your doing, that is.

You take less damage in Easy and enemies attack more slowly. It lets them get the feel of battle down and helps them develop an eye for attacks.

Fandangox

If you know what your doing, that is.

You take less damage in Easy and enemies attack more slowly. It lets them get the feel of battle down and helps them develop an eye for attacks.

Considering the only punishment for failing is a low overall score, thanks to the forgiving retry system and the game's autosaves, then I don't see any reason not to start on Normal. I'd say you would learn just as fast as in the other easier modes, hell maybe faster.

If the player is having troubles with it then they can switch to easy, but I don't see why not to start on normal. You can switch the difficulty at any times between stages anyways.

I just played my heart out on my second run in 003-A, got a whack load of golds and silvers (and a couple platinums I think too?), and yet I got a consolation prize. My jaw was on the floor. How is that even possible!? I was hoping for at least a silver.

Top Bottom