• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Autosaving and checkpointing are two different things I think

LGom09

It's insane how much content is in this game. I just beat it for the first time and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
It's insane how much content is in this game. I just beat it for the first time and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
We know that FEEL.

Biggest "I need to keep playing this" feeling, I've ever had after finishing a game. TW101 just keeps on giving.

Just finished the game minutes ago, and holy shit that was fun. This is definitely in my Top 3 GOTY spots, next to MGR and something else.

Glad I can finally go through this thread and not worry about spoilers, and get to more of the meat of the game.

Edit: I was very tired when I finished this last night, and honestly my what I wrote should be typed up in caps to show my excitement for how much I loved about it. I just did a marathon run through this thread and HOLY SHIT at all the things to experiment and to come. W101 being the culmination of PG and so many other references is incredible.

Also knowing the idea for this game was originally full of Nintendo characters, I'm trying to think of who'd be who.

Wonder Red = Mario
Wonder Blue = Link
Wonder Green = Starfox?
Wonder Yellow = Donkey Kong
Wonder Pink = Samus
Wonder White = Sheik?
Wonder Black = Ash?

LGom09

Is there any way to uncover the ???? in some of the achievements? I thought it would be progress based but I'm still seeing a lot after beating the game.

Epcott

Loved playing the demo. I may have to buy this instead of Killzone SF.

Though, I'm confused by the way you assign characters, whats the purpose? Its like playing The Last Guy on acid, directed by Michael Bay.

NEO0MJ

Loved playing the demo. I may have to buy this instead of Killzone SF.

Though, I'm confused by the way you assign characters, whats the purpose? Its like playing The Last Guy on acid, directed by Michael Bay.

Buy this! Killzone can wait.
As for the purpose of assigning characters, it's to raise their levels. As the level of the characters who use the same weapon rise they unlock new moves for the weapon.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm far from an expert at the game right now, but from what I've tried, the "tricks" to Vorkken are:

1) Knowing what you can and can't guts. Block what you can and get out of dodge when he's morphed into something you can't block.

2) Don't go overaggressive. He'll counter fast. This especially applies for Vorkken's guts, since he tends to follow it up with an unblockable cyclone attack of some sort. If he goes guts, get out.

3) The dodge mine is ridiculously good in that fight, if you have it/can buy it. You don't even have to go out of your way to make it work. Just dodging regularly while fighting will get in a ton of damage.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If your reactions are good enough you can PP Vorkken fights just spamming wonder cyclone with the sword or something.

His equivalent to trip kick with Jeanne I guess

Edit: I guess this might not work as well on 101% but it works on everything but

leroidys

Thanks for the tips. I ended up beating it just by cheesing from distance with the whip - seems the way to go to avoid damage.

Man, 004-B was a pretty big difficulty spike. I've pretty much been getting silver on everything without trying so far, and got a consolation prize with 4 continues on this one.

D-e-f-

Banned
So... should I get this, Rayman Legends, or Wind Waker HD? I've never played the original Wind Waker, so keep that in mind.

This needs the sales more ... Wind Waker is easier to recommend because it's easier to get into. This is probably a more rewarding and fresher game. Rayman Legends is probably more immediately pleasant.

Question is: do you know WHAT this game is and that would like these kinds of challenging and rewarding games?

jakomocha

This needs the sales more ... Wind Waker is easier to recommend because it's easier to get into. This is probably a more rewarding and fresher game. Rayman Legends is probably more immediately pleasant.

Question is: do you know WHAT this game is and that would like these kinds of challenging and rewarding games?
Yeah. I know a lot about TW101. I'm not very good at challenging games (to be completely honest, I'm awful at them) but nonetheless I still often like/love them. Of TW101 and Rayman Legends which has more entertaining multiplayer? Obviously Rayman Legend's is more involving, as you can play the whole game in multiplayer, but which is more fun?

Slixshot

Banned
Just bought a wii u on cowboom for $200. Bought W101, Pikmin, and Zelda Hd on target with the buy2g1. BRING ON THE KAMIYA!

CkUPeb8.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looks like Saur has closed his channel in protest of Google. Guess we won't be getting that next system breakdown. :(

Oh man... that sucks. Fucking Google, stop ruining YouTube!

Hopefully ChipCheezum's eventual LP will serve as a good substitute (he did confirm he plans to LP some time).

Looks like Saur has closed his channel in protest of Google. Guess we won't be getting that next system breakdown. :(

Damn, that sucks. He was my main combat guide for W101. Hope he posts the videos elsewhere.

What's up with Google and YT lately? Sounds like I missed something important.

Well it's been nearly two months but I finally got all the bottlecaps.

What an awesome ride. Definitely one of my top 10 games. I really should compile that at some point...

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah. I know a lot about TW101. I'm not very good at challenging games (to be completely honest, I'm awful at them) but nonetheless I still often like/love them. Of TW101 and Rayman Legends which has more entertaining multiplayer? Obviously Rayman Legend's is more involving, as you can play the whole game in multiplayer, but which is more fun?

Probably the same answer as before :D

In TW101's mp you need to actively communicate to get all the bling for points and manage your heroes between each other ("Hey you stole half my group!!" -"Sorry, needed a bigger sword!") but ultimately it's just an arcadey challenge mode. Rayman Legends gives you the asymmetric multiplayer option with Murphy and you can go through the entire game together. Do you have friends who would get into the mechanics of TW101 with you? People who wouldn't mind just going nuts and learning the draw-mechanics to go for high scores in the crazy scenarios? Or would you just casually want to play and have instant fun? That's not to say the TW101 mp can't be immediately fun, the silliness is definitely present from the get go but if your playmates (excuse the kindergarten term^^) can't deal with the R-stick drawing it might get frustrating?!

Anbec7

I just finished this amazing game this weekend.

Careful! last part spoilers!
I almost lost because of the "save the earth" sequence, I laughed so hard!

It's truly a lovable experience :)

Any tips for the Pure Platinum? ): I had trouble in Normal but I want to get better

Proven

Sadly no. The ???? stay there until you actually do it. Frustrating I know.

If you select them it'll give you a hint as to how to get them. A bunch of them are just trying to do something you already did in one of the Operations but better.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
All of the achievements are listed online so there's always that

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

my personal take on it:

W101>WWHD>RL

I've never liked Rayman games and I have never really understood why, as I love platform games in general. It's something about the mix of controls and art style that just don't appeal to me.

WW(HD) is a great game, but obviously no mulitplayer. It's easy to play and to get into.

W101 is goty candiate for me, but a complex and demanding game, that you have to invest time and effort in to really enjoy.

RL has probably the most enjoyable multiplayer part though, I've never even tried W101's multiplayer part.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pixel-Otaku Review:
http://www.pixel-otaku.com/a-wonderful-review/
The Wonderful 101 is a game that will gain a hardcore and dedicated fanbase for years to come. In a gaming scene where originality can truly suffer behind something uninspired, The Wonderful 101 stands out as a beacon of hope. Colour, dedication and discovery are what drives this game and it should be well rewarded for it. It’s a game you must not only see, but play and experience for yourself. A must own for anyone with a Wii U and one of my favourite games of not only 2013, but of the past 10 years.

traveler

Not Wario
Finally had time to finish this. I'll probably go into detail yet, but I think this is honestly my favorite Platinum/Clover- and maybe even action- game to date. Constantly one upped itself and that ending was just flat out amazing. Not usually a big fan of QTEs, but that final one was so worth it.

Now, to actually master the game. Made it to chapter 8 before I even remembered you could dash cancel attacks. So much out there to still unlock too. On to Hard mode!

LGom09

Finally had time to finish this. I'll probably go into detail yet, but I think this is honestly my favorite Platinum/Clover- and maybe even action- game to date. Constantly one upped itself and that ending was just flat out amazing. Not usually a big fan of QTEs, but that final one was so worth it.

Now, to actually master the game. Made it to chapter 8 before I even remembered you could dash cancel attacks. So much out there to still unlock too. On to Hard mode!
I've wasted so many batteries dodging out of attacks instead of dashing. Got to get over that muscle memory.

Dereck

Im buying this on Friday and looking forward to giving up within an hour.
You sound like me. I recommend you download the demo and replay it over and over again until you get the gameplay down. Please use the analog stick to draw things.

If you're gonna buy the game I recommend doing the same thing within the first few missions or so.

Andrew.

Banned
You sound like me. I recommend you download the demo and replay it over and over again until you get the gameplay down. Please use the analog stick to draw things.

If you're gonna buy the game I recommend doing the same thing within the first few missions or so.

Is the stylus or using your finger really that faulty? And will a regular Wii pro controller work well?

Is the stylus or using your finger really that faulty? And will a regular Wii pro controller work well?

It's not faulty by any means, it's just that the game is far too fast-paced that shifting your hands around like that is extremely cumbersome. The face buttons that you'll actively be using are very awkward to use while using the touch screen and the ZR button (your dodge button) is all but completely inaccessible. The touch screen also limits the size of the morphs you can make.

The right stick is simply more accurate, practical and faster to use.

I'm not sure about the regular Wii Pro Controller but if it works and you decide to go that route, remember to use the (-) button to swap screens because there are segments where the action shifts to the smaller screen. I'd still recommend using the Wii U gamepad because of the small screen segments but also because it allows you to manage your Wonderful 1's much easier when you want to start leveling them up to learn new moves.

BatDan

Right stick is almost always recommended.
Stylus/finger isn't faulty, but using the right stick is faster and more efficient for racking up high combos (which are needed for Pure Platinum rankings).

And yes, the Pro Controller is a good alternative. Though you'll sometimes need to pick up the Game Pad as there' segments that require you to use both the TV and Game Pad screen.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a mile

Dereck

Sometimes, when the game does a QTE drawing, I notice that when I draw using the analog stick, the actual drawing has such a thick brush that it actually goes off screen, that's when I used the stylus because I kept dying.

Andrew.

Banned
Thanks guys. I dont really care about PP rankings (yet). I just want to have a good romp on Normal mode and see what all the talk is about. Im glad the gamepad is the reccomended choice.

JoeFenix

I did most of my first playthrough exclusively on the gamepad and then bought a pro controller. Never looked back, the sticks on the pro feel so much better to me.

If you don't plan on using the touchscreen then I would recommend getting a controller pro. Better sticks, better button spacing, 20x the battery life and better rumble.

Gamepad is more than decent enough and drawing with the touchscreen is a totally viable way to play the game but I personally love the way the pro controller feels.

Andrew.

Banned
I did most of my first playthrough exclusively on the gamepad and then bought a pro controller. Never looked back, the sticks on the pro feel so much better to me.

If you don't plan on using the touchscreen then I would recommend getting a controller pro. Better sticks, better button spacing, 20x the battery life and better rumble.

Gamepad is more than decent enough and drawing with the touchscreen is a totally viable way to play the game but I personally love the way the pro controller feels.

I'm just gonna try it with the gamepad and Wii Classic Pro and see what feels better. I need the pad for certain sequences though?

JoeFenix

You never outright need it, the - button gives you a picture in picture view of what you would normally only see on the gamepad.

I just put the gamepad on its little stand on the desk next to the monitor I game on and use that as a second screen.

BatDan

I was reading Kamiya's Twitter, and one person asked how much involvement he had in TW101's localization. He responded with "a lot". That explains why it's so damn good.

leroidys

This game just keeps getting better and better - I'm at 006-C and it's becoming one of my favorite 3D nintendo titles ever. The Wii U may not have many games, but between this, Pikmin 3, and by all indications SM3DW, it has seriously had one of the best years ever in terms of quality.

It's an absolute travesty how this game was reviewed. I admit, I've been so conditioned by the 4 hours of unskippable tutorials in every game nowadays that the first couple times I got my ass kicked, my kneejerk reaction was "this game sucks!", but spending just a little while trying to learn the combat system and explore menus (and go into the store! derp), and everything started to fall into place. I think the bottom line is that most players don't even want to have their intelligence respected nowadays.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This game just keeps getting better and better - I'm at 006-C and it's becoming one of my favorite 3D nintendo titles ever. The Wii U may not have many games, but between this, Pikmin 3, and by all indications SM3DW, it has seriously had one of the best years ever in terms of quality.

It's an absolute travesty how this game was reviewed. I admit, I've been so conditioned by the 4 hours of unskippable tutorials in every game nowadays that the first couple times I got my ass kicked, my kneejerk reaction was "this game sucks!", but spending just a little while trying to learn the combat system and explore menus (and go into the store! derp), and everything started to fall into place. I think the bottom line is that most players don't even want to have their intelligence respected nowadays.
Obligatory "You ain't seen shit yet son" post.

TW101 replaces the 4 hour tutorial by a first run tutorial though.

Despite hating the demo, I bought this since there was nothing else I wanted to play at the moment..

I'm not good at it any way, i don't feel 100% comfortable in a fight unlike VJ, Bayonetta or DMC...but the game has grown on me. It's style, presentation and whimsical setting just invite you in.
I just wish I could get a grasp of battles more, plus i just lose sense of what's going on when everything degrades into a melee of hundreds of bodies.

Been having an itch to grab an action game, and my Wii U has been gathering dust, so i figured i'd finally give this game a go. Is it very likely this game will be discounted on black friday? I might just grab it off amazon if not, since it's $10 off there.

Top Bottom