• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Remastered announced for Switch, PS4, and PC with Kickstarter campaign

Banned
Huh? Why? Steam is the most low rent drm there is. You can literally just download it then play in offline mode.

nothing keeping them from bringing it to GOG tho... and that would be preferable...
or a good old PC physical version that actually installs complete from Disc and needs no launcher. that would be really nice... all these kickstarters going with steam only (or worse, Epic... uhhrrggg..) is not only weird but also kinda sad.

Last edited:

Madonis

It will probably run very well on a modern PC, if the port is good, so hopefully that stretch goal is reached.

Fbh

You can pay 4500 bucks to get blocked by Kamiya on Twitter. Probably not that hard to get that done for free I'm guessing.

It's going up pretty fast but I wonder why they even bothered to do the kickstarter if they were only asking for $50k?

$50K is only the Switch version.

From communication/marketing standpoint I think a Kickstarter for The Wonderful 101 remaster as a whole is more exciting than " Kickstarter to bring the wonderful 101 remaster to other platforms besides Switch"

Ban Puncher

tumblr_n7gqylXrUP1s0jy0oo1_400.gifv

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Huh? Why. Steam is the most low rent drm there is. You can literally just download it then play in offline mode.

I don't want to back a Kickstarter for the game if there are any restrictions on usage. Even if it's as innocuous as Steam. I mean, if it only released on Steam, I'll buy it there down the road... just don't wanna support a Kickstarter for a distribution model I'm not a fan of.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Should easily surpass the $500K mark and probably double it. Since the game would be launching in April, my guess is that it's already done in regards to the actual porting. Just needs to be rated by ESRB and go through certification.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't understand why is it so hard for W101 to get port? I love TMS#FE but that game was also didn't sold too well on WiiU but still mange to release on Switch, so why not W101?

Also want to see No more Heroes 1&2 port as well since the 3rd is coming out.

VN1X

Banned
So can someone explain to me where that Tencent money went to? I actually believe they adressed this somewhere right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess the kickstarter will make more money than the game did when sold. Maybe more than bayonetta when all is said and done, lol. How can this be, it wasn't even their most popular game (yes, Wii U, but come on, games people actually wanted still sold on that system) and all their games are niche though they have been increasing in popularity in recent times due to the RPG collaborations and Bayonetta itself getting a second life thanks to Nintendo. Is it just the hype of a formerly "nintendo exclusive" going multi platform for some people? The hope that if it happens for this game then any other game is fair game too? The way temtem managed to sell so well while being shit just by convincing people it's just like the awesome pokemon or for some better than the outdated clumsy dodgy pokemon? Cool for Platinum, cool for me to get it on PC, just saying, it's weird to see there is such apparent demand for this, of all their games. Cool that Nintendo was gonna fund it but only exclusive and that they also let them have it multiplatform regardless, very gracious of them, but just because they said yes once, don't expect them to say yes to every other game too, lol (especially not an IP they deem worthy of supporting still like Bayonetta, maybe if 3 flops then they can talk) just like SEGA let Suzuki have Shenmue but they ain't giving him any more shit of theirs.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

zeorhymer

This is all shady. They want to "self publish" but they're getting money from Tencent and Nintendo. Considering that it's only an initial $50k for the port means that it's already been ported and they're using KS as a barometer to see if it'll sell further. But hey, more games to the PC is better!

Neff

So can someone explain to me where that Tencent money went to?

The actual making of the ports, and publishing duties. While only a fraction of the production costs of making a big game like TW101, porting is still expensive. Nintendo has seemingly granted them the use of the IP, but apart from that, PlatinumGames is going it alone with this.

Quite the opposite actually.

Nah. You could get faster and more accurate lines with the Gamepad, but overall it was more trouble than it was worth. I went with the Pro Controller/picture-in-picture after a few hours in and never looked back.

Last edited:
No it can sell badly on all platforms while removing the unique gameplay features the tablet brought. ;)

Also where' the Xbox version?

But seriously, an enhanced version with the camera closer to the characters allowing a 3D world view in some instances would be pretty cool for me and the 7 other people that may buy it.

Good on Platinum for so quickly reaching their initial goal.

For me, this campaign falls too much into the category of blindly preordering what, going by their projected fulfillment date, is a near finished product; and the current physical tchotchkes aren't enough of an enticement. They still have a month to sway me, but at the moment, I'm fine with waiting to make a purchasing decision, based on the finished ports.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nice!, PC version is already funded!!!

I don't understand why is it so hard for W101 to get port? I love TMS#FE but that game was also didn't sold too well on WiiU but still mange to release on Switch, so why not W101?

Also want to see No more Heroes 1&2 port as well since the 3rd is coming out.

According to the interview on Gematsu, Nintendo would have probably helped them bring it to Switch if it remained and exclusive. But they told Platinum they were ok with it releasing on other platforms if Platinum funded and developed it on their own. So they decided to do it this way so they could bring it to other platforms

I can imagine that since Fates has elements of a more "core" Nintendo IP like Fire Emblem they might be more protective with it and might not have been ok with it releasing on other platforms. Or maybe Atlus didn't care about releasing it on other platforms either way because they are weird like that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
This is all shady. They want to "self publish" but they're getting money from Tencent and Nintendo. Considering that it's only an initial $50k for the port means that it's already been ported and they're using KS as a barometer to see if it'll sell further. But hey, more games to the PC is better!

What's shady about it?

We've seen dozens of instances in the past of products that would have been released anyway and found a way to create hype and sales through Kickstarter.

Also where' the Xbox version?

Where's Scalebound?

LOL at people still crying about Scalebound. It was a dogshit game that got taken to the chopping block because it was a dogshit game....not because of some whimsical MS conspiracy

Javthusiast

Banned
LOL at people still crying about Scalebound. It was a dogshit game that got taken to the chopping block because it was a dogshit game....not because of some whimsical MS conspiracy

We don't know what it could have ended up being, but all public demos of it sure looked janky and slow.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I haven't pledged to a KS in almost 3 years but I'll break my streak for this. I didn't realize it was actually going to be a budget title. I assumed a full $60 but nope, about $50 shipped.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not crying but the one example of Platinum and Microsoft working together failed miserably, so i can see why they are maybe not interested on publishing on Xbox for now.

That said the main reason here is installed base: they chose the platforms with the biggest installed base, and that's Steam on PC.

Fbh

The kickstarted page reads "Estimated delivery April 2020" the port must be ready, this is a strange cash grab.

Meh, I don't really see as a cash grab. It's not like they are asking for free money, even the lowest reward tier includes the game and it's $30 which is a good price (as opposed to, you know, charging $10 more than the original release as other WiiU ports).

I'll admit that with the date being that close it does seem more like a weird preorder than a regular kickstarter though. Maybe they really wanted to make some extra goodies like a physical version and this was the easiest way.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They're gonna hit that PS4 pledge tier in less than 12 hours. It's already about to hit $400k (USD).

AdorableVacantDorado-max-1mb.gif

I'll be so happy to see this game on my 4K display without that awful aliasing. I think I'll go PS4 version. I loved playing the Wii U version on my big TV, it's a game that deserves the crispest visuals possible.

On an unrelated note, the rumors that Super Mario 3D World might getting a Switch port means I can finally shelve my Wii U until I need it. I played these two titles more than anything else which is why I kept it plugged into the main TV.

FranXico FranXico B-baka! You leave Fbh Fbh alone.

Danny Dudekisser

Already nearing $410k. Probably will pass it by the time I finish this post.

It's almost like people like cool video games and just didn't want the WiiU.

Jooxed

Gold Member
They're gonna hit that PS4 pledge tier in less than 12 hours. It's already about to hit $400k (USD).

AdorableVacantDorado-max-1mb.gif

I'll be so happy to see this game on my 4K display without that awful aliasing. I think I'll go PS4 version. I loved playing the Wii U version on my big TV, it's a game that deserves the crispest visuals possible.

On an unrelated note, the rumors that Super Mario 3D World might getting a Switch port means I can finally shelve my Wii U until I need it. I played these two titles more than anything else which is why I kept it plugged into the main TV.

FranXico FranXico B-baka! You leave Fbh Fbh alone.

Im so excited to try this game for the first time hearing you guys talking about it. But i am in for the switch version. Traitor.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I bought the game on Wii U and I liked it but I feel like I did my part buying it the first time. I would be in for an xbox version for achievements though...so that sucks lol.

Shifty1897

So here's the question:
Would touch controls and presumed stability on the Switch make it the best version, or would the PC's enhanced graphics and resolution options make it the best version?

Last edited:

Fbh

So here's the question:
Would touch controls and presumed stability on the Switch make it the best version, or would the PC's enhanced graphics and resolution options make it the best version?

I thought it played better with the analog sticks anyway so unless portability is a big factor I'd go with the better looking and performing version

PhoenixTank

Maybe they really wanted to make some extra goodies like a physical version and this was the easiest way.
Having physical stock that doesn't sell, or not enough are both rough situations to have. Knowing a minimum order probably helps a lot.
Next stretch goals are going to be DLC (included for backers), so there is a bit more on offer from the sounds of it.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
I guess the kickstarter will make more money than the game did when sold. Maybe more than bayonetta when all is said and done, lol. How can this be, it wasn't even their most popular game (yes, Wii U, but come on, games people actually wanted still sold on that system) and all their games are niche though they have been increasing in popularity in recent times due to the RPG collaborations and Bayonetta itself getting a second life thanks to Nintendo. Is it just the hype of a formerly "nintendo exclusive" going multi platform for some people? The hope that if it happens for this game then any other game is fair game too? The way temtem managed to sell so well while being shit just by convincing people it's just like the awesome pokemon or for some better than the outdated clumsy dodgy pokemon? Cool for Platinum, cool for me to get it on PC, just saying, it's weird to see there is such apparent demand for this, of all their games. Cool that Nintendo was gonna fund it but only exclusive and that they also let them have it multiplatform regardless, very gracious of them, but just because they said yes once, don't expect them to say yes to every other game too, lol (especially not an IP they deem worthy of supporting still like Bayonetta, maybe if 3 flops then they can talk) just like SEGA let Suzuki have Shenmue but they ain't giving him any more shit of theirs.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Holy shit. Bayonetta 2 is next, isn't it?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Im so excited to try this game for the first time hearing you guys talking about it.
Check out Saurian's series of videos, starting with this one:

While it might not fully apply to the Remaster version (maybe they'll have better tutorials?), it will at least enlighten a new player on how to use the flexible "Wonder liner" mechanic. It's seriously a brilliant way of handling a lot of problems in the character-action genre.

But i am in for the switch version. Traitor.
Imagine knowing ahead of time the PS3 version of Bayonetta was inferior but still preordering it
nZXp84.gif

Imagine playing Wonderful 101 Remaster on a 4K HD possibly with faster/smoother framerates
tenor.gif

Neff

Already nearing $410k. Probably will pass it by the time I finish this post.

It's almost like people like cool video games and just didn't want the WiiU.

People didn't want the Wii U, the game wasn't advertised, it was delayed to be launched alongside GTAV, its announcment was flubbed with a post-Direct reveal and didn't even have a title, and it reviewed poorly due to the press being on a cinematic gaming high at the time and unwilling to indulge things like reactions or observation. It never stood a chance.

g8sdU2.jpg

Fortunately though time and fans have been kind to it, and this volume of interest reflects that.

Danny Dudekisser

People didn't want the Wii U, the game wasn't advertised, it was delayed to be launched alongside GTAV, its announcment was flubbed with a post-Direct reveal and didn't even have a title, and it reviewed poorly due to the press being on a cinematic gaming high at the time and unwilling to indulge things like reactions or observation. It never stood a chance.

g8sdU2.jpg

Fortunately though time and fans have been kind to it, and this volume of interest reflects that.

Lol, yeah, it was a laundry list of dumb ideas.

Really glad this game is getting a second chance, though. I only played like... the first hour of it, but I liked it a lot. It's batshit insane.

Dane

*reaches 2 million

Employee: Boss, the backers reached all the goals (Xbox One port, extra content, Soundtrack and stuff) before we even update the image.

Kamiya: Ayy Lmao, first of all, you're blocked, and second, move those stretch goals to the 4 million mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom