• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Remastered announced for Switch, PS4, and PC with Kickstarter campaign

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Backed it and will get the PS4 version.

Going to have to pull out the Wii U and download the demo for this to see if I personally enjoy it. (I didn't realise it had a demo),
Judging by the demo on the Wii U, the game is horrible. I really never understood its appeal.
I heard that you are better off getting it if you are playing the game from the beginning though.

PhoenixTank

Judging by the demo on the Wii U, the game is horrible. I really never understood its appeal.
I heard that you are better off getting it if you are playing the game from the beginning though.
Sounds like the demo is not a good slice of gameplay, then? Unfortunately that ship has somewhat sailed for me either way. My Wii U is failing... a deadly case of bad memory blocks.

On topic: Pace seems to have dropped on this campaign, but that isn't unusual. 29 days to go!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I backed only the physical version, and I saw the most recent update (update no. 4). Does this tier also include the comic and abridged soundtrack too?

Mista

Banned
New $2m stretch goal

PUVmNsc.png

New $2m stretch goal

PUVmNsc.png

Scummy practice. Just keep adding goals innit. Guess they can and all, I'm not stopping them, although I wouldn't fund it, I'll probably buy the PC edition in a sale later. They should add the Xbox version at least. How these poor devs cope, eh?

Last edited:
Yeah as long as there're dumb cunts that are paying more money then why not?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but of course people and fans of the game can do what they want, I'm all for that, but still. Don't they already have everything done as someone already mentioned? Like, how does it cost a quarter of a million for a remix when there are sites out there like OCReMix and it will be on MP3? Guess I'm the bitter gamer cunt innit, sorry!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I'm not sure if you're serious, but of course people and fans of the game can do what they want, I'm all for that, but still. Don't they already have everything done as someone already mentioned? Like, how does it cost a quarter of a million for a remix when there are sites out there like OCReMix and it will be on MP3? Guess I'm the bitter gamer cunt innit, sorry!
Yes I am serious mate. The game already got funded on three platforms and they kept on adding rubbish stretch goals. What makes anyone support this more? You've done your job already as a fan and you should've stopped right there

Take me for an example, I supported Shenmue 3 kickstarter and kept checking the progress everyday. But when they started adding bollocks stretch goals I simply stopped. Does that make me a cunt? Definitely not, I supported the game more than anyone can imagine

cireza

New $2m stretch goal

PUVmNsc.png
What a joke. It looks like they are throwing random stuff. You don't see that many respectful Kickstarter projects actually. This one really makes me feel like they are taking fans and supporters for milking cows, and not even trying to hide it.

Kickstarters should have rules that force you to state at launch all stretch goals, and that's it.

Last edited:

LiamR

Hope it's cool for me to post this in here. I just did a long-form video on the history of The Wonderful 101. You can get a look at early prototypes they worked on for it and more info on earlier, scrapped ideas for it:

Last edited:

Kazza

I'm confused as to why some people are angry about the added stretch goals. I'm not going to back this game, so have no reason to defend the devs, but let's look at this logically.

Say that I had already backed a digital copy for £28, before these new stretch goals were announced. I backed in expectation of getting a basic port of the game on my platform of choice. Now, assuming these stretch goals are met, I will not only be getting the basic port I backed, but will also be getting extra content on top of that, and at no extra cost to myself. Why in god's name would that make me as a backer angry? Now, if they took away content they had promised at the time I backed them, then I could understand being pissed off, but being enraged about them giving me free extra stuff ?!?! And even calling the devs "scummy" for giving me extra stuff that I neither expected nor paid extra for?

Am I missing some evil intent here? As far as I can see, this just Platinum saying "Hey, this port looks like it is going to make us much more money than we expected. If we really do make it to the $2 million mark then we will throw in two new levels and a remixed soundtrack as a thank you to our backers"

Can someone explain to me what is "scummy" about that? How are the individual backers getting scammed in any way, shape or form?

PlatinumGames Admits Wonderful 101 Kickstarter Had Nothing To Do With Raising Funds

"It was more about gauging interest"

In an interview with Gematsu at PAX East, PlatinumGames' Atsushi Inaba finally admitted what many had suspected – the Kickstarter wasn't anything to do with raising funds, but more to gauge interest in such a project:

Well the actual reason we decided to do a Kickstarter campaign was not for funding at all, it was more about gauging interest in The Wonderful 101. This is a game we’ve always wanted to revisit at some point in time, so we thought it would be a good opportunity to bring the fans together—to unite them—and gauge interest. And in essence, to release the game. So it wasn’t really about the amount of funding at all, it was about self-publishing, bringing fans together, and revisiting The Wonderful 101.

When asked what the Kickstarter funds would be used for, Inaba added:

First off, the money is going towards the production of all the goods—I don’t know if you’ve seen all the tiers and their rewards, but those cost money to produce. The rest of the money is going towards the additional content that will be added to the game. All that costs money, and it takes time and work to port the game to the additional platforms. I want to clarify that we didn’t do the campaign to ‘get money’ or anything like that—that wasn’t the point of it. The main goal was to bring the fans together, gauge interest, and find a good way to revisit and release the game.

Ma-Yuan

This Kickstarter campaign is an absolute shit show.

My game arrived on June 25th in Germany still haven't got it and if it miraculously shows up I have to pay import duties.

Platinum Games and their useless partner Yetee ignore all complaints coming from all non US and Japanese backers who I guess are around half the backers.

They shipped the games with a non traceable cheap option. It can't be traced after it entered the destination country WTF!!!!

They were hiding the fact that you have to pay duties. They added this later after many including myself already backed the game and not as part of the reward information.

Yetee does not respond to any complaint. 3 weeks no answer from them Platinum Games is dead silent on the issue as well.

Honestly I love platinum games but this is an absolut unacceptable shit show on PGs end. And they don't have the balls to make it up to their biggest fans who supported this fraud since I am 100% sure they game which came out earlier then the backer version would have been released without Kickstarter as well.

Last edited:
This Kickstarter campaign is an absolute shit show.

My game arrived on June 25th in Germany still haven't got it and if it miraculously shows up I have to pay import duties.

Platinum Games and their useless partner Yetee ignore all complaints coming from all non US and Japanese backers who I guess are around half the backers.

They shipped the games with a non traceable cheap option. It can't be traced after it entered the destination country WTF!!!!

They were hiding the fact that you have to pay duties. They added this later after many including myself already backed the game and not as part of the reward information.

Yetee does not respond to any complaint. 3 weeks no answer from them Platinum Games is dead silent on the issue as well.

Honestly I love platinum games but this is an absolut unacceptable shit show on PGs end. And they don't have the balls to make it up to their biggest fans who supported this fraud since I am 100% sure they game which came out earlier then the backer version would have been released without Kickstarter as well.

That sucks.
Personally I can't complain. I got my copy on July 4th (Germany as well).

The holographic cover looks really good and the game is (as it was on the Wii U) a blast.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

That sucks.
Personally I can't complain. I got my copy on June 4th (Germany as well).

The holographic cover looks really good and the game is (as it was on the Wii U) a blast.

You mean July 4th? Because I thought they just started shipping in June. I consider my copy lost right now . . . But the fact that Yetee and PG ignores all complaints is the worst thing ever. I mean PG is not a nobody . . . And their comment section on Kickstarter right now ist just a dumpster fire with complaints in regarding to shipping and hidden extra costs!

Miles708

You mean July 4th? Because I thought they just started shipping in June. I consider my copy lost right now . . . But the fact that Yetee and PG ignores all complaints is the worst thing ever. I mean PG is not a nobody . . . And their comment section on Kickstarter right now ist just a dumpster fire with complaints in regarding to shipping and hidden extra costs!

For all the bad buzz around the Shenmue III Kickstarter, I have to say that the shipment went very smoothly (albeit slowly) and they even sent me an additional paper-sleeve on my request free of charge, since one of the 2 copies I backed did get a little damaged during shipment.

That is to say, I would be so pissed and disappointed if the post did end up losing my kickstarter copy, too.
I hope they are not responding because they've been caught off-guard (usually it's safe to assume incompetence instead of malevolence), but they should 100% send you another copy without complaining.

If all comes to worse, make a fuss on twitter too, and write to some online magazines. They're good at making noise, so that'll come to your advantage.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

For all the bad buzz around the Shenmue III Kickstarter, I have to say that the shipment went very smoothly (albeit slowly) and they even sent me an additional paper-sleeve on my request free of charge, since one of the 2 copies I backed did get a little damaged during shipment.

That is to say, I would be so pissed and disappointed if the post did end up losing my kickstarter copy, too.
I hope they are not responding because they've been caught off-guard (usually it's safe to assume incompetence instead of malevolence), but they should 100% send you another copy without complaining.

If all comes to worse, make a fuss on twitter too, and write to some online magazines. They're good at making noise, so that'll come to your advantage.

Already happened with no results. Their answer is a joke since they added the vat/duty part later and you can't see the costs in the tiers or general description which is against Kickstarter rules according to many complaints on the w101 Kickstarter message page... I really don't know how they can behave like this. I think nearly all non us / Japan backers would not have backed this project knowing this.

Top Bottom