• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101: Remastered releases today on PC/PS4/Switch

Nixonomics

The Wonderful 101: Remastered, developed by Platinumgames, releases today on PC, PS4 and Switch for $39.99. Originally released in 2013 as a Wii-U exclusive The Wonderful 101 finally gets a second chance at life thanks to a successful kickstarter campaign ran earlier this year. Like most of Platinumgames' titles W101 is a character action game (in this case characters action game might be more accurate) where you vanquish your foes with style. I've never played W101 but as a fan of Platinumgames I'm excited to finally get a chance to sink my teeth in. From what I've heard this seems to be one of Platinum's most divisive titles - which makes me all the more excited to jump in and decide for my self. Anyone else excited to jump in for the first time? For those that played the original - what did you think? Does it live up to the Platinum name?

Trailer:

Original OT:

Polygon's review

Wonderful 101 Remastered review: A flawed action game gets a second chance

The Nintendo Switch’s success has given many overlooked Wii U games a second chance to find a new audience, and The Wonderful 101 Remastered deserves to be experienced by more players. So I’m thankful that Platinum is able to bring its most curious release to even more people — Remastered is out on PS4, Switch, and Windows PC — even if I’m part of the crowd that doesn’t remember The Wonderful 101 very fondly

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
How are the controls? It seems like the kind of game that would lose something moving from the Wii U

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still not out on Steam for me, what's happening... Stupid region stuff? At least I can visit the store page in-browser now (when not logged in) but it won't show up when I search for it on Steam :(

How are the controls? It seems like the kind of game that would lose something moving from the Wii U

All things considered, it's as smooth as butter! Even the second screen stuff isn't as bad as I thought it might be, the 2nd screen pops up in the instances it's needed, and goes away once it's not needed anymore. You can bring it up again with the select button if there's something you wanna see on the 2nd screen. It's pretty much the same implementation as the original Wii U release when you wanted to use other controllers besides the Gamepad, you'd have a similar set of options for having the 2nd screen display on the main screen by pressing - I think.

sol_bad

Still not out on Steam for me, what's happening... Stupid region stuff? At least I can visit the store page in-browser now (when not logged in) but it won't show up when I search for it on Steam :(

Can you see if via this link?

I can't find it via search on Steam either but it works through GGDeals. Which is weird.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can you see if via this link?

I can't find it via search on Steam either but it works through GGDeals. Which is weird.
Yes I can go to the store page online like I said, like if I just google Wonderful 101 the first result is Steam and I can see it (a few days ago that didn't work either so something changed since) but I can't get it in-Steam to actually buy it lol.

Last edited:
This felt so much like Viewtiful Joe design wise, and I loved every minute of it. Though it may not look like it, Wonderful 101 is more than comparable beyond the stumpy comic characters and whatnot. It's general gameplay flow is pretty similar, though the immediate input method is different.

Nixonomics

I'm having an absolute blast with this game. That intro level with the cheesy theme music had me rolling. My biggest surprise so far is just how much I like all the characters. It's so incredibly charming. I feel like a kid again watching saturday morning cartoons. There's so many mechanics to the combat too - and I feel like I'm still just peeling back the layers. Excited for my second run through.

I agree with ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle , it's really smooth playing on a controller. Drawing shapes with the analog stick is surprisingly comfortable and they have a really high tolerance for errors so your shapes don't have to be perfect.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It doesn't need its own thread, but W101 is getting a save-transferrable demo of the prologue + Operation 001. Also some special codes to unlock hidden team members. This batch is from Bayonetta. More on the way.

Vol. 1: Umbran GiftUMBRANGIFTTeam Member “Wonder-Bayonetta”
Vol. 2: Angel SlayersANGELSLAYERSTeam Member “Wonder-Jeanne”
Team Member “Wonder-Rodin”

Welp, considering how amazing Vanquish is (playing it in parallel with Demon's), I'll be adding this to my list. Not sure how I missed all these Platinum games. Bayonetta next, Nier eventually.

Welp, considering how amazing Vanquish is (playing it in parallel with Demon's), I'll be adding this to my list. Not sure how I missed all these Platinum games. Bayonetta next, Nier eventually.
It's pretty damn amazing. You will feel like it's a little disjointed at first, and that it doesn't flow as smoothly it should as far as mechanics go. That will change, and you will start doing things you didn't think were even possible. That not even mentioning the awesome events that take place. You're in for a ride 🤜🤛

Porcile

One of my favourites but not giving you the basic block and dodge move from the beginning was a weird thing.

Top Bottom