• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst Inventions of All Time?

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
geKa63w.png

What do you think, GAF, are the worst inventions ever? All [unpopular] opinions welcome.

I'll start. I was just driving back home from work to realize that the car has to be the worst invention ever. I'm always miserable in them and they do so much harm to the environment it is crazy. There was a part of my life where I used to walk everywhere and I was notably much happier given the absence of maintenance obligations and leaving early enough to be on time everywhere. Feels really good not to drive.

Kadayi

Banned
Social Media is probably up there, especially Twitter. I don't really feel the need to explain why.

The Shake-Weight

Edit

Vuvuzelas. PTSD from the World Cup

Edit 2:

Pre-order bonuses and platform exclusive DLC

Hardwood floors (in small apartment buildings). Lady above me has hardwoods and stomps around at 3 AM alllllll the time

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Tired of darkness behind you? Well we have put an END to that.

The Anal Flashlight, your butt is good for more then you think.

No more sneaky neighbors coming up behind in the dark. Light never felt so good.

Papa

Banned
If I could go back in time and stab one person in the eye, it would be whoever decided that these should be the standard urinals in a country where everyone wears thongs 24/7.

Edit: flip flops for my amerikkkano friends.

800px-GOMA_toilets_02.jpg

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
gotta go with social media. suddenly every dumbshit in the world thinks they should be famous.

I had it's uses....

The worst invention was Debt.

I love EVERYTHING about this post :messenger_heart:

And that gif proves (to me at least) that the shake weight can be a wonderful thing.

Anyways I was going to say Credit Checks. But saying Debt is just cutting right down to the heart of the problem. And what an awful thing Debt is :messenger_astonished:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If I could go back in time and stab one person in the eye, it would be whoever decided that these should be the standard urinals in a country where everyone wears thongs 24/7.

Edit: flip flops for my amerikkkano friends.

800px-GOMA_toilets_02.jpg
Nothing like going to a music festival, going into one of these and being shoulder to shoulder with 20 blokes whilst wearing shorts and thongs. It’s like taking the worst shower of your life.

Papa

Banned
Nothing like going to a music festival, going into one of these and being shoulder to shoulder with 20 blokes whilst wearing shorts and thongs. It’s like taking the worst shower of your life.

Who goes to festivals these days though?

Orpheum

I'm right in there with social media. Instagram and Twitter are cancerous.

oh a lot of people do. I enjoy it once a year or so but mostly smaller ones with not more than 2000 people. We sometimes perform there as well. Not a fan of the huge 50k plus people festivals

Papa

Banned
I'm right in there with social media. Instagram and Twitter are cancerous.

oh a lot of people do. I enjoy it once a year or so but mostly smaller ones with not more than 2000 people. We sometimes perform there as well. Not a fan of the huge 50k plus people festivals

Less than 2000 people? That's a gathering, not a festival!

Purple hair dye
I like and raise you...the 50 other genders
When you need a manual to figure out things then something’s amiss
Genderbread-2.1.jpg

Pro tip...in life you should never label yourself
Not everyone falls in the same bucket but it doesn’t mean you need to make new buckets

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Social media, specifically with mobile phones which limited discourse due to piss-poor input, because it has turned people into complete retards.

Orpheum

I assume everyone is naked at a European festival

I wanted to say no first but then i remembered dozens of people running around naked with glowing sticks around their dicks and tits :( Yeah...a lot of people run around naked there

Papa

Banned
I like and raise you...the 50 other genders
When you need a manual to figure out things then something’s amiss
Genderbread-2.1.jpg

Pro tip...in life you should never label yourself
Not everyone falls in the same bucket but it doesn’t mean you need to make new buckets

Why the fuck are these idiots coming up with discrete categories from continuous scales?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
how about nuclear weapons mr serious
I thought about that, but nuclear weapons were used less and the intention behind that invention was not specifically to exterminate whole people. But yes, it is not exactly a good invention.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why the fuck are these idiots coming up with discrete categories from continuous scales?
Discretisation is an important step in computer science. E.g. if you analyse timed automata, it is instrumental to create regions, which are discrete categorisations, from continuous scales. If you do not, you have to consider too much data which still is functionally equivalent, to be able to come to any meaningful conclusion. In principle, defining discrete categories from a continuous scale is sensible, depending on the context. Now, whether it is sensible to claim that biologocial sex is a continuous function in two variables is another question (to which I, as a layman in biology, would think the answer is "no").

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
At our age? True. I did get roped into going to the V8s (shudder) because the Chili Peppers are playing and I’m not sure if I’ll ever get to see them again. So, I’m gonna be hanging with bogans and probably pissing in a trough like we described, just so I can see a band. The things we do.

Purple hair dye
Lol. It’s funny coz it’s true.

Grinchy

Banned
Touchscreen keyboards. Go from typing 100 words per minute to 20 and still end up with the wrong words in the end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
debt, credit, whatever you want to call it

"you don't have to pay me now, it's just going to be something i will hold over you for the forseeable future, also im going to increase the amount you will need to pay me back"

eff that

Top Bottom