• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The xbox 360 2008 (slated!) Thread!

Quazar

Just some more small news on MS in 08:

"Interactive Data Visualization has announced it has licensed its SpeedTreeRT foliage software to Microsoft Game Studio into 2008, and the technology will be appearing in a number of Microsoft products yet to be announced.

IDV also revealed that Microsoft's Project Gotham Racing 3, as well as PGR 4, both make use of the SpeedTree technology.

SpeedTreeRT is used to create trees and plants, aiming for realism with adjustable wind effects, user-configurable LOD transitions, and an included library of hundreds of tree, plant and marine models representing more than 200 core species. SpeedTreeRT also includes SpeedTreeCAD, a Windows application used to create and edit animated trees in real-time.

IDV president Michael Sechrest said, "Our partnership with Microsoft ensures that their customers will continue to experience richer, more enjoyable gaming worlds. We are very grateful that our technology will be included with Microsoft’s offerings.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17252

Quazar

Gamasutra has a nice piece with MGSs Shane Kim. I personally like Shane Kim and want his job! Anyways, here's one small piece from long interview. Click link to see the rest :D

Gamasutra said:
The IP Stable

In terms of those exclusives, Scheisel told Kim he doesn't think 2008-2009 are "as stacked" as previous years, to which Kim replied, "Oh, I think it's very stacked, but you just don't know about it!"

As far as titles that have been revealed, Kim said, "Fable 2 will be one of the biggest titles of the year, Halo Wars... Alan Wake is in the future... The other thing to remember is that over the course of the last four years, we've built a lot of franchises people really care about. That's been part of our mission... People don't look at them as just another sequel coming out. But we can do more."

Given that Halo is one such franchise, Scheisel asked what its future looks like. "That is our most valuable and important IP," Kim said. "We're looking forward to see how we can nurture and grow it. We have the collaboration with Peter Jackson... We need to make it more appealing to other people. Halo Wars is another example to introduce the world and the story to people who may not have played an FPS."

Kim highlighted the importance of maintaining a platform that's rewarding for third-party publishers. "The vast majority of software sales is going to come from third parties," Kim noted. "We don't have the dominant share on our own platform - that comes from third parties. And if you look at the results for great third-party platform titles, we're outselling other platforms 2:1, 3:1 and so on."

So are 30 to 50 million dollar exclusivity deals what's to be expected going forward? "I'm not involved in the third party group, so I cannot confirm or deny that figure," replied Kim. "I don't think you are going to see a lot of deals... GTA is very, very unique. We believe passionately that Xbox 360 and Xbox Live are the only place you can get the entire GTA4 experience." "you'll see us continue to work closely with [third parties] but whether we're doing deals of that magnitude and what form those deals take, who knows?"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17292

I'm sure there was a thread but just got home from working so don't feel like checking.

Quazar

goldenpp72 said:
Would be nice if they started showing games now :p

I think starting GDC we'll be getting a nice flow of announcements. It's been pretty boring news wise for awhile now.

goldenpp72

Indeed it has.. E3 was ages ago and that only recapped what we all knew about sans I think scene it, it's 2008 now and we don't even know what's coming out this year aside the stuff releasing in the next month or so..

Superfrog

Just spotted this thread for the first time - awesome work!!

Some updates on the posted retail game information:

Left 4 Dead
Publisher: Valve

Elveon
Developer: 10tacle Studios Slovakia

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
Developer: Codemasters Surrey

Race Driver: Grid
Developer: Codemasters Surrey

Saboteur
Publisher: EA

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Publisher: Koch Media

Salazar

Anerythristic said:
When was Project Offset announced for consoles and as a "Only on 360" titlle for that matter?

Months back, when they did the big website update. This has led some people to believe that MS has wrapped its tentacles around the game or the team, and will in time be revealed as the mystery publisher. This seems to me like a reasonable point of view, and I am hoping that it is one of the secret things in the pipeline that Shane Kim has been talking about.

Many think the game won't come out. Many others just don't seem to care or know about it. Blast them.

Quazar

So what's going on with Bringing it home from MS right now? Checked few hours ago didn't see any content up. Guess I'll go look again.

Dina

Hammer24 said:
I´m really curious how this turns out. If halfway decent, it could surprise a lot of people.

I agree. Sacred 1 surprised me and I'm looking forward to Sacred 2.

Salazar

Dina said:
I agree. Sacred 1 surprised me and I'm looking forward to Sacred 2.

After some of the latest videos ? I'm not being down on the game, and I will probably look into it no matter what, but some of that stuff looked genuinely odd.

Hammer24

Banned
Bonfires Down said:
Yeah, we all love halfway decent games...

;-)

It´ll probably end up in the Two Worlds category: nice gameplay ideas, some bad execution - some´ll love it, some´ll hate it.
But I´ll buy it anyways... :/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Router said:
:lol

I'm looking to buy more games this year than I did last year. I got 33 for the 360 last year. This is going to be another great year for it.

Dina

Salazar said:
After some of the latest videos ? I'm not being down on the game, and I will probably look into it no matter what, but some of that stuff looked genuinely odd.

I haven't seen those yet. Are they on GameTrailers?

BakedPigeon said:
I cant fucking wait for Alan Wake and Fable 2....

It's been way to quiet on the Alan Wake front. I expected a big announcement during last GDC. No such luck. Can we still expect this game to materialize this year?

Agent Icebeezy said:
:lol

I'm looking to buy more games this year than I did last year. I got 33 for the 360 last year. This is going to be another great year for it.
How many new vs. used?

Either way, that's quite a bit of money. You must have a better than decent job.

szaromir

Banned
Too bad it's yet again a situation when onslaught of AAA titles begins in August and lasts only until late November. It's a good thing we have Ninja Gaiden 2 in June though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Green Shinobi said:
How many new vs. used?

Either way, that's quite a bit of money. You must have a better than decent job.

I don't buy used. I'm a release day buyer.

goldenpp72

Bump for new message. A few people have pmed me asking to update this thread but unless gaf makes a couple minor alterations I cant.. I can't even edit the second half of this thread. The new thread I designed (read op) covers almost everything that happened from e3 while trimming out more crap games and delayed ones, its great though :)

Ariexv

goldenpp72 said:
Bump for new message. A few people have pmed me asking to update this thread but unless gaf makes a couple minor alterations I cant.. I can't even edit the second half of this thread. The new thread I designed (read op) covers almost everything that happened from e3 while trimming out more crap games and delayed ones, its great though :)
Can you PM the new thread to me?

Top Bottom