• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox + Bethesda 2021 E3 Showcase & Discussion Thread

How many games will they show at Xbox E3 2021?

• 20 games

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • 35 games

Votes: 48 19.1%
  • 50 games

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • 60 games (same as 2019)

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • 85 games

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • 100 games

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Over 100 games

Votes: 72 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It’s not a big year from MS. But I will find enough to play. It helps that 27 of these are coming to gamepass. Hopefully next E3 we start seeing the fruits of their acquisitions a bit more.

This made me up the sub I had for Gamepass that GameStop forced on me when buying Series X through next holiday season. I’m in for Flight Simulator, Forza, plenty of interest in Redfall, will give a go to Sea of Thieves again with the Disney content, … and some others all using Gamepass.

I now have the feeling I knew was missing at Series X launch… that… once again for the first time in a long time there is a reason to own both consoles (or PS5 and PC).

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Dr Dre Reaction GIF

Finally watching it. That horizon.... great showing by Xbox. I'm surprised.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Timed ... in what sense? Coming to PS5 later? I don't see anything on the site mentioning anything about it being timed. Do not care in the slightest about GP. I would buy it.
Yeah, most likely, but they haven't explicitly said it, of course. Any title that started with "Console Launch Exclusive" is timed exclusive that would likely come on other platforms after that period. For instance, we know from leaked documents that Stalker 2 is a three-month timed exclusive for Xbox. After that, it may come on other platforms.

420bits

What's even worse on the PS Store is the default advert for each new game is invariably the premium edition at £80 plus.

Maybe we're just stung by exchange rates at the moment, but PS5 prices are off the charts in the UK. It's just too much money.

Buy from US psn, that's what i do on new stuff.

Ratchet & clank ps5 - regular edition is 849 SEK, that's 102 USD here in sweden.

If I pop over to the US store I could get it for 69 USD (~600SEK) which im fine with.

EDMIX

Considering everything that happened this year in the year previous I think they did a pretty good job.

Definitely getting Starfield day 1, I love the Sci-Fi look of the spaceship, Battlefield 2142 gameplay was looking awesome as fuck but I thought they were going to do something much deeper considering they made a big deal about being at the show....day 1

Stalker 2 and Far Cry 6 are also games I'm definitely going to pick up.

The rest......meh lol

Welcome to the MS conceptions of videogames. Hope to be wrong but I have the bad feeling most of their exclusives will be like this.
Halo Infinite has a huge single player campaign, Forza Horizon has a campaign, Red fall has a single player campaign, Starfield has a single player campaign. I know you have a history of being pro PS but at least get your facts right before posting.

Shubh_C63

Considering everything that happened this year in the year previous I think they did a pretty good job.

Definitely getting Starfield day 1, I love the Sci-Fi look of the spaceship, Battlefield 2142 gameplay was looking awesome as fuck but I thought they were going to do something much deeper considering they made a big deal about being at the show....day 1

Stalker 2 and Far Cry 6 are also games I'm definitely going to pick up.

The rest......meh lol

Somerville and Replaced is easily the best surprise out of the obvious blockcusters.
After playing Inside I can't wait to play them.

Replaced looks EXACTLY like The Last Night.

EDMIX

Somerville and Replaced is easily the best surprise out of the obvious blockcusters.
After playing Inside I can't wait to play them.

Replaced looks EXACTLY like The Last Night.

Oh I didn't know that was done by that team.

I'm more interested in it now with that context lol

Shubh_C63

Oh I didn't know that was done by that team.

I'm more interested in it now with that context lol
I meant Inside like experience. Don't think playdead are the devs for those two.

Yup.
Somerville - new dev Jumpship
Replaced - new dev Sad Cat studios

but I guess the template is out there what playdead mastered. Really disappointing if they couldn't atleast do this.

EDMIX

Halo Infinite has a huge single player campaign, Forza Horizon has a campaign, Red fall has a single player campaign, Starfield has a single player campaign. I know you have a history of being pro PS but at least get your facts right before posting.

Well.....maybe. I see where they are going here.

Let me play devil's advocate here I want you to consider people have the same exact criticism against Electronic Arts so telling me something like Halo in Forza have single-player campaigns is like me telling you Electronic Arts cares about single player did you know Battlefield have single player Need for Speed and I proceeded to tell you a bunch of games that have questionable single-player modes?

It's not to say the thing you're saying is not a single player mode it is to say that the community feels they are forced, cheap, tacked on and not considered the same thing as a genuine focused single player game and more so some sort of multiplayer game with a tacked on single player type thing.

It's not even to say that's what we're talkin about regarding ALL the games that you mentioned cuz I'm pretty fucking positive Starfield is going to be an absolutely amazing single-player experience coming from that team but the rest of the games that you listed are not necessarily from developers that I think people even trust regarding single-player titles any longer and in red Falls situation everything that we're seeing screams it's some Co-op multiplayer loot box type game. So maybe I'm wrong on this and to be honest with you I would love to be wrong because I really do hope redfall is a deep single player only game that is focused on some big RPG mechanics or something like that but I'm simply saying this based on how the perception of such modes can be seen by other gamers based on the publisher or development team.

So i've stated this many times to people funny enough in EA's defense. During 2018 when Activision released a Call Of Duty with no single player, EA puts out a Battlefield with a single player.....as they have for a long time, yet it was EA that was being told "didn't like single player games"

Never mind that shit with Need For Speed, never mind anything done with Battlefield, Battlefront, Mirrors Edge, Star Wars Fallen Order, Titanfall 2 etc. The public perception was simple. EA doesn't like single player games and the games talked about are MULTIPLAYER GAMES with questionable single player modes (keep in mind, they are not that far off as no one is really playing a Battlefield and Need For Speed like they'd play Demon Souls or Bioshock or Dead Space etc)

At the least, see it from that perspective. I think Forza Horizon is a great series, same with Need For Speed, but that shit doesn't need a single player mode. Let it be what it is as solely a racing thing vs "here is da new storyz". It just seems like the main focus on many of those games revealed are as multiplayer experiences with SP tacked on.

Last edited:
Well.....maybe. I see where they are going here.

Let me play devil's advocate here I want you to consider people have the same exact criticism against Electronic Arts so telling me something like Halo in Forza have single-player campaigns is like me telling you Electronic Arts cares about single player did you know Battlefield have single player Need for Speed and I proceeded to tell you a bunch of games that have questionable single-player modes?

It's not to say the thing you're saying is not a single player mode it is to say that the community feels they are forced, cheap, tacked on and not considered the same thing as a genuine focused single player game and more so some sort of multiplayer game with a tacked on single player type thing.

It's not even to say that's what we're talkin about regarding ALL the games that you mentioned cuz I'm pretty fucking positive Starfield is going to be an absolutely amazing single-player experience coming from that team but the rest of the games that you listed are not necessarily from developers that I think people even trust regarding single-player titles any longer and in red Falls situation everything that we're seeing screams it's some Co-op multiplayer loot box type game. So maybe I'm wrong on this and to be honest with you I would love to be wrong because I really do hope redfall is a deep single player only game that is focused on some big RPG mechanics or something like that but I'm simply saying this based on how the perception of such modes can be seen by other gamers based on the publisher or development team.

So i've stated this many times to people funny enough in EA's defense. During 2018 when Activision released a Call Of Duty with no single player, EA puts out a Battlefield with a single player.....as they have for a long time, yet it was EA that was being told "didn't like single player games"

Never mind that shit with Need For Speed, never mind anything done with Battlefield, Battlefront, Mirrors Edge, Star Wars Fallen Order, Titanfall 2 etc. The public perception was simple. EA doesn't like single player games and the games talked about are MULTIPLAYER GAMES with questionable single player modes (keep in mind, they are not that far off as no one is really playing a Battlefield and Need For Speed like they'd play Demon Souls or Bioshock or Dead Space etc)

At the least, see it from that perspective. I think Forza Horizon is a great series, same with Need For Speed, but that shit doesn't need a single player mode. Let it be what it is as solely a racing thing vs "here is da new storyz". It just seems like the main focus on many of those games revealed are as multiplayer experiences with SP tacked on.
A racing game is primarily MP really so having a campaign I think is a huge positive. Halo Infinite is a game of two halves, a massive story driven campaign continuing Chief's story and is definitely not tacked on. Starfield is obviously single player and Red Fall just going by its introduction from Phil is playable alone, presumably with exactly the same content if you played it in cooperation. The fact all these games can be played by yourself or with friends is a positive.

Many games these days are just single player games with no longevity after playing through once or twice. Nothing to keep you coming back, even the best games TLOU2 for instance is now gathering dust and has been for over 6 months. Battlefield is now just MP which is again a step back not forward. Halo Infinite has everything from the start and that's the direction Microsoft is continuing when others are only doing one or the other 👍

EDMIX

A racing game is primarily MP really so having a campaign I think is a huge positive. Halo Infinite is a game of two halves, a massive story driven campaign continuing Chief's story and is definitely not tacked on. Starfield is obviously single player and Red Fall just going by its introduction from Phil is playable alone, presumably with exactly the same content if you played it in cooperation. The fact all these games can be played by yourself or with friends is a positive.

Many games these days are just single player games with no longevity
after playing through once or twice. Nothing to keep you coming back, even the best games TLOU2 for instance is now gathering dust and has been for over 6 months. Battlefield is now just MP which is again a step back not forward. Halo Infinite has everything from the start and that's the direction Microsoft is continuing when others are only doing one or the other 👍

I'm not saying that its not, simply that how it can be seen makes sense based on how people feel about EA's situation right now, it can easily be stated about MS as well. Imho, Need For Speed having a single player story thing was not a massively positive thing in terms of shit quality, I see the same crap from Forza, its a great open world racing game, lets just leave it at that instead of forcing something in like we saw from Need For Speed.

I'd rather have a quality FOCUSED single player game ,then something forced, tacked on, great value quality lol I'm at that point where if it can be done well, fucking just focus on the mode that they are talented at and I'm not one to be pissed if its JUST 1 thing. I play many games that way and I'd argue some of the best games I've ever played have been focused on 1 mode vs 4 or 5 lol They just spread themselves thin and end up having a great single player and a shitty multiplayer or vice versa. So I'm not playing Starfield for "longevity", I want what they are creating in terms of a single player and I'm 100% ok on a focused 40 to 50 hour RPG experience. So no, its not going to be some massive 400 hour thing like I do with all Battlefields or something, it doesn't fucking mean I play ALL GAMES FOR "longevity" or anything weird like that.

I take each genre as they are, I don't try to force that idea with all titles or something, why the fuck would I be playing something like Resident Evil 2 remake for 400 hours? I enjoy what I got from its SP, I moved on. Forcing Multiplayer simply means I'll play the SP and ignore the MP (and vice versa). I'd say most gamers see thru this, they don't fall for this whole "oh its both" lol, they get that the team PRIMARILY does 1 or the other and we are getting some lessor in one of those modes. So not saying if its good or bad, simply that we can see that and the thing being stated by the person you quoted I feel is a justifiable concern.

The Last Of Us 2 is now also the fastest selling Playstation game in history with the most awards in history. I'm 100% ok with what I got and likely won't play that MP portion that comes out lol I love ND and its my personal GOTY, but shit even my comment shows MOST simply don't do BOTH 100% well.

My comment regarding Battlfield is based on 2018 as an example (not sure why you are even cherry picking that to bicker, the example was used simply to show you how the community sees this type of thing) I'd argue ,the fact that Battlefield gamers like myself are ok with such a choice shows we don't always want a fuck ton of modes if they are just going to be shit.

So...the fact that I'm telling you I love The Last Of Us 2 and its my GOTY and I only play Battlefields MP mode should tell you something. Its not that I hate SP, DICE can't do it well and we all know this, its not that I hate MP, ND simply isn't on the level of a team like DICE. Not saying any of those games are going to be shit, but I 'm sure most of us can tell that some games are not on the level of some Bioshock, Dead Space, Half Life 2 experience and more so like a short, tacked on 7 hour campaign type thing. Thats how a lot of this looks and I can't fault that user for feeling that way.

That is the very thing many people see with EA. When they say EA hates single player games, bring up Need For Speed having a single player and see if they will just accept that =) Having a SP doesn't automatically mean its good, that its the focus etc.

Last edited:

shubik

Can´t lie... I was excited about the show. What I liked:

- Forza looks fantastic (only real next-gen game. of the show I would say)
- STALKER looks sick (hope the 3 months exclusivity is correct and it will launch directly on the PS5)
- HALO looks better but Is this really it? Xbox´s big system seller looks like a cross-gen game at best. Ratched just showed us what a true technical marvel first-party games should be...
- Starfield piqued my interest but I can´t say I´m hyped yet.

That being said: What the fuck Microsoft? This was an easy home run and THE chance to show people what true next-gen looks like and that's all you got? I mean I understand that most of the bought Studios are just in pre-production for their new games... but you gotta give the people a little bit more.

I keep looking for a reason to buy a series s... so far xbox hat not given me one.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
UK dollars here.

£659.40 at RRP for 5 years of Game Pass Ultimate (Gold, Game Pass, Game Pass for PC, EA Play and xCloud included)

Vs

£699.90 for 10 games at RRP on PS5, plus £249.95 if you want to play online for those 5 years. Total cost £949.85.

Regarding Xbox, I’d pay for Gold anyway for Halo and Gears, so the question becomes do I spend £249.95 just for 5 years of online play and buy the games separately, or pay an extra £400 for the 5 years worth of first and third party games.

Well it's pretty wild how shit PS5 game prices are in the UK; not even sure WTF Sony is thinking, seen a lot of folks pretty pissed off.

Anyways, I'm not trying to say that Gamepass isn't a great value to some people.. my point is that in the end it's not particularly cheap, and it doesn't necessarily match how many people play games. People generally don't play dozens of different games a year... they play a few; and it's not just because of cost.. it's because of the time investment, and how narrow many people's genre preferences are (and again, due to the time investment, they aren't really looking to even expand on that.)

People get different value out of different products.. GamePass is no different, and at it's actual full price.. it's an investment.

Last edited:
Surprised that some were negative about this show. I thought it was terrific, especially considering Covid.

Getting Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Age of Empires 4, Halo Infinite and Psychonauts 2 all in 2021 is just absolute dynamite to me. Flight Sim and FH5 were the games I bought an XSX for so getting one in July with a fighter plane ugrade and the other for the holiday is huge. Halo SP not being shown was a little worrying, but that's the game I'm least interested in and the multiplayer looked good so whatever.

The games shown therein are not bad, far from it: Most, if not all of them will review really well. What dragged the conference down is the absence of any surprises (I can not fault MS, everything that they work on gets leaked, but still...), of any "Wow!" moments, and, though some will disagree with my take, of an optimal arrangement of the sequence of what was unveiled; They should not have closed with the Arkane title, especially in its CG form. Why not go with Forza Horizon 5, which looks gorgeous? 'Or, seeing as the company does not object to having CG trailers (another issue in this day and age), why not put together a new CG trailer for Hellblade 2?
That is why it is a 7/10 as far as I am concerned. Still, Replaced, FH5 and that game from the creator of Limbo are some of the best things that came out of this stinking E3.

Last edited:
People laugh at starfields release date and give Sony an a+ on their showing with literally a wallpaper for Ragnarok and gt7 trailer without a release date
By the time gt7 releases motorsport will release aswell
They are literally releasing flight sim , Forza 5 and halo this year and people still think it's a weak year for Ms , the hypocrisy is mindbogling

NickFire

It did not match the hype IMO. I know games take a while to make, but for 7.5 billion I expected something (anything really) to be announced as arriving fairly imminently and which would make everyone say they wished they had a Series X right now / before Xmas. Some of the leakers were helping reset expectations in the final run up to the show but I still expected something more like Starfield gameplay at a minimum, and something to make people say Halo looks like a must have.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wonder if the Wolfenstein series will continue? I didn't play the last one with the daughters. I heard it was mediocre.

CAB_Life

Eh, you honestly think what he posts on twitter is what he really thinks? This is just good guy marketing.
Totally, but I think there's some professional respect in there too. You see the same when Sony smashes it with sales or critical acclaim for GoW or the like.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No it doesn't the PS4 has around 3300 games. Yes PS4 has more games than Xbox One but you said 4000 v 1000. Bit of a difference.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: 4000 vs 1000 thank you for challenging that blatant misinformation. I don’t get the need to lie about that, crazy behaviour.

Joey.

Hades coming to GamePass is great too
I haven't played it before but it looks fun.

This is why GP is great...I probably would've never forked over $70 for Hades or other games like Psychonauts 2 or even games like 12 Minutes (which looks super interesting) but with GP I'm definitely trying them out

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What was the space flight game they showed last year? It had some horror elements I think? That looked neat. Another one absent.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Do you have data on those numbers? Anecdotal evidence and all that but people I know who play videogames don't buy less than 5 a year
Attach ratios.

Which are even more revealing considering what hardcore gamers who buy more than 5 games a year do to those numbers.

If the average person bought 5 full priced games a year Sony would be doing $30 billion a year in just software sales. They aren't because they don't.

They are much closer to the number you'd get if the average person bought only a couple of games a year.

reksveks

Do you have data on those numbers? Anecdotal evidence and all that but people I know who play videogames don't buy less than 5 a year
Switch game to console ratio is 6:1 and think the PS4 ratio was something similar or closer to 4( or 5) :1.

Now onto something else, where is the two korean games that we saw last year; the kart one and crossfireX?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Switch game to console ratio is 6:1 and think the PS4 ratio was something similar or closer to 4( or 5) :1.

Now onto something else, where is the two korean games that we saw last year; the kart one and crossfireX?
Last thing we know about crossfireX is that it was pushed to 2021.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys, I am a little confused about the exclusivity phrases Xbox used in the E3. Does anybody more familiar with this have any insight or information on this?

They used the following terms:
  1. Xbox Exclusive (for games like Starfield and Redfall)
  2. Xbox Console Exclusive (for game like the Avalanche game)
  3. Xbox Console Launch Exclusive (for games like Stalker 2)
Xbox Console Launch Exclusive seems pretty straightforward; it's timed. But what about the other two? I can't seem to find any difference b/w the two terms.

Also, I don't believe that the Avalanche game (an XGS published title) would be anything less than a full, permanent exclusive. But they once used the same term for The Medium (which should have been Xbox Console Launch Exclusive, right?).

Were the two separate terms, Xbox Exclusive and Xbox Console Exclusive, just marketing errors? And there should have been only one? Or are they really different?

Shubh_C63

Guys, I am a little confused about the exclusivity phrases Xbox used in the E3. Does anybody more familiar with this have any insight or information on this?

They used the following terms:
  1. Xbox Exclusive (for games like Starfield and Redfall)
  2. Xbox Console Exclusive (for game like the Avalanche game)
  3. Xbox Console Launch Exclusive (for games like Stalker 2)
Xbox Console Launch Exclusive seems pretty straightforward; it's timed. But what about the other two? I can't seem to find any difference b/w the two terms.

Also, I don't believe that the Avalanche game (an XGS published title) would be anything less than a full, permanent exclusive. But they once used the same term for The Medium (which should have been Xbox Console Launch Exclusive, right?).

Were the two separate terms, Xbox Exclusive and Xbox Console Exclusive, just marketing errors? And there should have been only one? Or are they really different?
Maybe they are using Xbox Exclusive for first party games, Xbox Console Exclusive for second party?, and yeah launch exclusive pretty straightforward.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd link it here. Xbox Game Showcase Extended 2021 starts 10AM PST, or about 20min...

This special showcase, hosted by Gamertag Radio's, Parris Lilly, will feature behind the scenes details and up close and personal conversations with developers to dive deeper into their recent announcements. You'll hear from 343 Industries, World’s Edge, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, our talented partners from around the world, and more.
I don't know how to contact @mods to see if they want to pin it as a live event. 5 minutes until start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom