• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One controller is LOUD

Piggus

I've been using an Xbox 360 controller for PC gaming since 2005, and with it finally starting to wear out, it was only natural that I upgrade to an XB1 controller. Let me first say that overall it's a pretty awesome controller. I love the triggers, and ergonomically it's fantastic.

But holy fucking shit, it is the loudest controller I've ever used.

Let's start with the rumble. I don't know what kind of motors they're using for this thing, but every time it vibrates, it makes a sort of weird cooing sound. It's pretty damn distracting if the volume isn't cranked up, especially compared to the DS4 and 360 pads.

Then there's the buttons. The d-pad has a pretty nice click to it, but the face buttons (ABXY) are so obnoxiously loud that I actually had to stop sprinting while playing GTAV out of fear that the rest of my family thinks I'm in my room intermittently beating off.

There HAS to be some kind of replacement buttons or a way to make the buttons quieter. So I've made it my goal to find a solution.

Reactions: TLZ

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Never thought that way. The triggers are actually super silent, and the vibration is nothing compared to the horribly loud one on the Wii U.

_woLf

I agree, OP. The trigger rumble is wayyyy to loud on all of my controllers. Sounds cheap and not well-built, imo.

Piggus

Never thought that way. The triggers are actually super silent, and the vibration is nothing compared to the horribly loud one on the Wii U.

Weird, I haven't had any issue with vibration noise with my Wii U controllers.

I actually enjoy the crazy rumble feedback

My DS4 has louder face buttons than my XB1 pad tho- ?

The DS4 buttons feel a little mushier and therefor not as noisy, whereas the Xbone buttons have a sharper feeling. I like how they feel, but the noise is annoying...

eMpTy23

I agree, OP. The trigger rumble is wayyyy to loud on all of my controllers. Sounds cheap and not well-built, imo.

I love that. I love it so much. It's great to just throw down a Soapstone in DS while waiting to be summoned, go AFK, then when I've been summoned, the vibrate notifies me. It's really nice, and not something I could miss when focused on other stuff.

As someone who spends a lot of time with a Gamecube controller this is very amusing. I am often afraid I am going to wake my housemate despite wearing headphones just from the sound of its triggers.

I've had my One since November and I've never even tried the rumble triggers. I always turn vibration off in every game right off the bat. That shit eats batteries and I've never really seen it as a useful feature.

RdN

It's louder than the competition, absolutely.

But that's the price of having those really powerful rumble motors, including the triggers.

Reminds me of my A button on my 360 controller... it's too loud compared to the other ones. I could take it apart and fix it, I tend to do a bad job putting controllers back together so I'm iffy about it.

clav

The joysticks on the controller suck.

Whose controller doesn't suffer from the clicking/popping syndrome after using it for one year?

Oynox

Regarding the loud sound while it rumbles: Send it to M$, they will replace it. I had two controller with this issue and exchanged both of them and got one controller gifted.

Besides of that: Yes, they are. Even the new controller is not exactly quiet, nor well processed in comparsion with the 360 controller. The plastic at the sides seems kind of loose again, which makes little squeaks.

However, I heard the PS4 controller is supposed to be poor made as well.

Cidd

I actually enjoy the crazy rumble feedback

My DS4 has louder face buttons than my XB1 pad tho- ?

The complete opposite to my experience, the buttons on the Xbone controller are noisier compared the DS4 minus the triggers.

The bumpers are especially the noisiest, it's very clicky and annoying.

My launch day xbox one controller has rather quiet rumble but the bumpers and dpad are clicky as fuck, sounds like i'm clashing dice together in my hand when playing fighting games.

RyudBoy

The controller being "loud" as you say should be the least thing to complain about it.

D-pad gave me a blister.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Of all the strange things to notice/complain about over a controller. This is right up there. Have never noticed a single controller of mine being "loud" on any console. I think maybe one of my 360 triggers squeaks a little. But barely noticeable.

I've had my One since November and I've never even tried the rumble triggers. I always turn vibration off in every game right off the bat. That shit eats batteries and I've never really seen it as a useful feature.

They are great in Forza, can really feel the car slipping going around corners and can just feel when to change gear. Hard to explain, but it just feels right.

jholmes

I have to agree, I think the Wii U GamePad rumble is way noisier than the Xbone controller rumble. That said if I were laying them both on a table, the Xbone rumble might be louder then. It goes crazy on a hard surface.

Docpan

Ive been playing with it a lot and the more I use to more I have to say.... the dpad is horrendous for anything other than toggles in an fps game. It's terrible. But the sticks and trigger context sensitive rumble are game changers. The perfect controller for fps games bar none.

aro52

Typing messages with the D-pad is annoying to even me, as the one doing it.

CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!

DJ_Lae

I've never noticed its rumble being overly loud.

The face buttons are very audible, though. Not a huge fan of them.

I like my buttons to be loud and click-y. Mushy buttons feel cheap.

I've never noticed any loud rumble noise from any controller.

I've never noticed its rumble being overly loud.

The face buttons are very audible, though. Not a huge fan of them.
Agree with this, rumble is fine but the abxy buttons are in fact surprisingly loud. Not loud enough that they bother me though, just louder than other controllers I've tried.

I have never once thought about the noise of any console controller. The only thing that used to be super loud was the Nintendo 64 back in the early mario party days. Now that looked and sounded like beating off.

Of all the strange things to notice/complain about over a controller. This is right up there. Have never noticed a single controller of mine being "loud" on any console. I think maybe one of my 360 triggers squeaks a little. But barely noticeable.

The dpad clicks like a light switch every time it's used, it's annoying but i'm willing to deal with it since the dpad works.

I've owned about seven controllers now, and for the most part, rumble has been fine noise-wise.

I did have one controller where the rumble began to rattle and get increasingly louder after about two months of use. Thought for sure the rumble was going to go, but the controller died to drift (which has been my bane this gen) before the rumble motors did.

I never noticed any noise on my Xbox one controller or my ds4 that wii u game pad tho I have to look at my phone because I think I'm getting a call or a txt especially when Im playing smash bros

Ivan

I agree.

Rumble motors are too loud, bumpers are lound and clicky, dpad too. Very loud and annoying.

zinder

Then there's the buttons. The d-pad has a pretty nice click to it, but the face buttons (ABXY) are so obnoxiously loud that I actually had to stop sprinting while playing GTAV out of fear that the rest of my family thinks I'm in my room intermittently beating off.

I guess you don't use a mechanical keyboard lol. I love the Xbox One controller, the trigger are the best I've seen on any controller. Not sure how one can complain on a controller being loud.

nikos

When I had an Xbone, there was an audible beeping sound when face buttons were pressed. Found that to be a bit odd.

SegaShack

I love the hardcore rumble effect. Most controllers these days are too tame. It's much more satisfying when your actions give you a nice kick.

LowSignal

I REALLY want a revision of the Xbox One controller to come out at e3. the triggers need to be improved and the audio jack needs to be build in without needing an adapter.

Yeah the vibration motors are pretty high RPM and physical sounding

The best sound the XONE makes is one of the best (if not The Best) sounds produced by game console hardware. It is the sound when you push the eject button. It is so crystalline and pure sounding. It's as though there is an actual crystal glass behind the plastic that is being tapped and the most pleasingly high frequency sound. So beautiful.

Piggus

I guess you don't use a mechanical keyboard lol. I love the Xbox One controller, the trigger are the best I've seen on any controller. Not sure how one can complain on a controller being loud.

I should probably just start using headphones more often. Though that doesn't change the fact that sprinting in GTA or playing fighting games probably sounds like furious masturbation to anyone near my room.

Top Bottom