• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One friends and party system is horrible

dralla

So neither PS4 or XB1 allows to send game invites from the OS like the 360? I don't understand how both companies could screw this up. The friend/party system on the 360 worked perfectly.

Natiko

Banned
WAIT. Parties are game-dependent? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! That's absolutely insane. So it's not even cross-game voice chat? Or am I hearing that wrong?

I don't find this to be true at all. I've been in a party with my friend while we've both been swapping in and out of separate games. Also, I'll agree that the navigation is terrible on the Xbox if you use a controller. It works really well if you just use kinect.

Oni Jazar

It's weird, they took one step forward and two steps back. You can join friends by opening up their profile and clicking Join Session if they're in a mp session.

But some things still vary from game to game. Killzone for example has zero in game voice chat, you have to use the OS party chat option to speak with people. AFAICT, the same applies to sending Killzone game invites. You have to make a party first and then you're presented with the option of inviting your party members.

I would hope that this is a launch day thing. If the PS4 supports it (and doesn't waste precious resources) then it should become standard.

Bgamer90

Banned
FYI, a little tip--

If you want to see your recent notifications while you're inside a game, hit the home button and then move up with the left stick or d-pad 2 times and hit "A". That will show you a streamlined interface for your notifications.

besides join and party chat I hate what Sony did to the friends stuff with PS4.

-No longer has online, offline notifications
- no longer says how long they have been offline
- no longer gives an option to show your friends that you are AFK like switching to not available (yellow dot) did on PS3
- offline ordered alphabetically instead of recent activity
- messages no longer have a headline in the notification, just "You received a message" now.

USC-fan

Banned
So neither PS4 or XB1 allows to send game invites from the OS like the 360? I don't understand how both companies could screw this up. The friend/party system on the 360 worked perfectly.

I agree, While the PS4 system is okay, it is still doesnt do some things that are just basic. Still a huge step over the ps3 and very usable.

- no longer gives an option to show your friends that you are AFK like switching to not available (yellow dot) did on PS3
- messages no longer have a headline in the notification, just "You received a message" now.
Also still no way to see a new message by a quick button press on PS4. You have to go to home and up to messages.

Bradf50

Haven't got any of the new consoles yet (29th!!!) Really annoying that both companies couldn't add previous functionality that worked perfectly fine last gen. Hopefully they both update it and streamline the invite/friends system.

Edit:

I agree, While the PS4 system is okay, it is still doesnt do some things that are just basic. Still a huge step over the ps3 and very usable.

Also still no way to see a new message by a quick button press on PS4. You have to go to home and up to messages.

Yeah I agree, they should link notifications to the PS button. That will go a long way to improving things.

Isn't it designed by the same architects since the first?

Honestly, it doesn't look like it at times, mainly in the UI department

I want one as I'm a Xbox fan but I just can't stand Kinect. I tried my friends XB1 on Saturday and just wasn't that impressed with the voice commands for the money MS want for it. Ryse on the other hand? Fuck me that game is stunning visually

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

I agree with all of this and I'd add that browsing the friends list isn't as smooth as it was on the PS3. Sometimes it randomly refreshes and instead of it being seamless like it was on PS3, it tosses you back up to the top of the friends list which is annoying if you happen to be in the middle of scrolling down the list.

Mullah88

I believe you can view new notifications by double pressing the ps button when the notification pops up

The physical box? Maybe. The foundation that the system was philosophically built upon? No way.

While I agree with nearly every complaint listed in this thread, I find it amusing that folks like yourself who don't own the system seem to have so much to say about a system that you don't own and likely haven't used.

Dukey

Banned
Isn't it designed by the same architects since the first?

Nope. Many of the actual gamers that designed the original Xbox and then the 360 are long gone. Replaced by guys like Don Mattrick. 'nuf said. I've never seen a brand get so tarnished so quickly.

Sounds like such a downgrade compared to the 360. Actually, those were the best features of XBL. And PSN doesn't sound much better either (though better than the PS4).

Iacobellis

While I agree with nearly every complaint listed in this thread, I find it amusing that folks like yourself who don't own the system seem to have so much to say about a system that you don't own and likely haven't used.

I can't speak my mind about a product? If I dislike a product, I don't see why I would go out of my way to own it.

There is some misinformation coming into this thread. Parties work as good as ever functionally. The voice quality is amazing now though.

The part they "ruined" if any is the UI to activate parties. It has more in common with PS4 parties then 360 which a lot of people find a step back. I find it not hard at all. It's just an adjustment after 5+ years of the guide on X360.

To start a party 1. hit xbox button 2. Click the button directly to the left of your home tile (Shows gamercard, Says Friends online, shows gamer pic). 3. Access your friend from list and invite them.

Dukey

Banned
I can't speak my mind about a product? If I dislike a product, I don't see why I would go out of my way to own it.

If I dislike a product, I dont spend much time thinking about it. Let alone constantly trashing it in an attempt to troll people that do like it. That's just me though.
There is some misinformation coming into this thread. Parties work as good as ever functionally. The voice quality is amazing now though.

Along with the friend follow system, the voice chat quality is what I'm most jealous of as a PS4 owner. Our voice chat in comparison is just dreadful.

Pain

Banned
Lots of these complaints were known beforehand. Did you buy it thinking it would be better by launch? Many of your complaints may never ever change...

BraXzy

I was going to make a thread about this when it took me and my friend half an hour to get into a versus match on Killer Instinct, something which should be simple, quick and easy. I think their current system is actually quite clever, it just doesn't quite work yet.

The way it works is, anyone in your party is considered possible 'playmates' so at any given time if you are on the same game, when you try to do something multiplayer, it automatically invites/adds them. For example, if you are in a party, and go on Battlefield 4, when you join a server your friend is added with you seamlessly. When you start hosting a Killer Instinct lobby, your friend who is also on KI gets a notification straight away saying a game is available.

I believe that the party system as we know it, no longer is intended to work how it used to. I think the party system is primarily a way to connect with your friends who you want to play with and play games without sending out invites constantly. In my opinion, Skype is meant to be the method Microsoft want people to communicate in a "party" online, hence the opt-in chat option in the actual party system. Now in theory, this is pretty clever, you can chat with your friends who are in various games via a multi-skype call, and even have people who are on other devices chat with you too. Then you set up a play party, ready to join multiplayer modes quickly and seamlessly.

The problem is, it needs fixing. If you are in a party with more than 2 people for example, and you want to do a 2 player multiplayer game, it doesn't work, or it even tells you that you just can't do it with the party size. This shouldn't be the case, the way I think it should work is, have any and all people that you plan on playing in your party (no need to be the same game at the same time) and then when you do initiate something multiplayer based that you want to do with your friends, have the ones that are on the game get an invite/auto-join, and ignore the others, or even send them an invite too. That way, you can chat with who you want on Skype, but also play with who you want on what you want without quitting and joining and changing your party all the time.

Oh and add the option to manually invite/join, because the lack of them is stupid. Give players options.

I agree with the OPs gripes but I don't think the way to solve it is an extra guide menu. Instead, the tiles to the left of the now playing box should be Friends, Messages and Party, and the friends button should pop up a friends list that is already populated and looks similar to the 360 in-game friends list (whereas the large friends tile now opens up an app that doesn't even go directly to the friends list). I think they are sorting by who is online already, but its just so poorly indicated-- 360 was much clearer.

In general that points out another problem with the OS-- a lot of fonts are small and the info on the screen seems formatted to a monitor rather than a TV. 360's design language (even in the more current metro style dashboards) just is more consistent, usable, and beautiful.

Dukey

Banned
Is there proof of this? I'm just curious.

J Allard and Seamus Blackley to name 2. The big changes came midway into the 360's life with Mattrick took over. Then it became all FPS and Kinect. And now we have the Xbox One. Despite their claims that the Xbox One was made by gamers for gamers, I'm not seeing it. Coincidentally both of these guys have been very outspoken about how bad the brand has become due to inept leadership.

Iacobellis

Well, two of the most important people behind the original Xbox were J Allard, and Seamus Blackley, and neither are there now.

To be fair, though, Seamus left before the 360 launched. Guys like Peter Moore and J Allard were truly the backbone for the 360.

J Allard and Seamus Blackley to name 2. The big changes came midway into the 360's life with Mattrick took over. Then it became all FPS and Kinect. And now we have the Xbox One. Despite their claims that the Xbox One was made by gamers for gamers, I'm not seeing it. Coincidentally both of these guys have been very outspoken about how bad the brand has become due to inept leadership.

Robbie Bach has left too

maomao

Banned
The guide is not needed since everything can be suspended.
Just press home and go to friends that I pinned, you can go back to the game at any time. Voice command also helps

I agree with the OPs gripes but I don't think the way to solve it is an extra guide menu. Instead, the tiles to the left of the now playing box should be Friends, Messages and Party, and the friends button should pop up a friends list that is already populated and looks similar to the 360 in-game friends list (whereas the large friends tile now opens up an app that doesn't even go directly to the friends list). I think they are sorting by who is online already, but its just so poorly indicated-- 360 was much clearer.

In general that points out another problem with the OS-- a lot of fonts are small and the info on the screen seems formatted to a monitor rather than a TV. 360's design language (even in the more current metro style dashboards) just is more consistent, usable, and beautiful.

I could see that "gamercard" tile being divided up. That would help eliminate number of clicks. Which is only thing either systems os is guilty of. Op has some valid points.

I think Xb1 and ps4 would be better off focusing on an android style notification center that actually takes you to what it puts in the list I.e. To the action described not a new app.

Iacobellis

I could see that "gamercard" tile being divided up. That would help eliminate number of clicks. Which is only thing either systems os is guilty of. Op has some valid points.

I think Xb1 and ps4 would be better off focusing on an android style notification center that actually takes you to what it puts in the list I.e. To the action described not a new app.

I wish Sony would incorporate the one click of the PS button to all notifications and not just Party invitations. The 360 had this down pat and was easily one of the small features that made me favor LIVE over PSN last generation.

Iacobellis

I fucking love that article. J is a true hero in my eyes. I totally miss the glory days of Xbox, from 2001 to like 2007. The Xbox I remember best was when it was all about cutting-edge hardware and catering to the late teen and young adult crowd. I was only a kid then, but Microsoft was able to perfect the image of the Xbox, making it seem like the true "hardcore" games console.

360 became a little bit more family friendly, but was still the best machine in 2005. Call of Duty 2, Full Auto, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Perfect Dark, etc.. I remember being blown away that the system acted like a computer, prompting me to create a profile upon initial boot. The Guide itself and then being able to theme the entire UI was unheard of on a games console. In fact, I'm actually listening to some of the songs that were preinstalled on launch machines.

Top Bottom