• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One is the least popular platform among indies by gamesindustry.biz survey.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...least-popular-platform-among-indie-developers

The Xbox One is the least popular platform among indies, according to a developer survey carried out at EGX Rezzed this year by GamesIndustry.biz.

Of the 61 developers surveyed, PC was the favourite with 47.5 per cent stating that would be their preference if they could release on any single platform.

Although the sample size isn't large enough to provide any conclusive evidence, the scope of developers surveyed is wide enough to act as a rough barometer for certain trends and preferences, providing a leaping off point for future investigation.

Despite having the lowest install base, the Nintendo Switch was the second-most popular choice with 32.8 per cent, followed by PlayStation 4 with 11.5 per cent.

Mobile and Xbox One came in as least preferable for indie developers with 6.6 per cent and 1.6 per cent respectively. However, none of our respondents chose to comment on why these platforms ranked so low for them, instead opting to discuss the benefits of the devices they preferred.

It is, of course, easier than ever for indies to ship games on multiple platforms, particularly as the leading engines support all platforms and some - such as Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - share similar architectures. Nevertheless, it appears the developers we spoke to would opt for Sony's console over Microsoft's if they had to make a choice.

Dlacy13g

This survey is pretty useless as is the articles leap to try and draw a conclusion. The question posed was "If you only had one platform to release on which would it be?" Seems pretty obvious any dev should / would be considering current market numbers and trends when they consider that question to pick just ONE platform. They didnt offer additional questions like: rank them favorite to least favorite, Ease of development, best support, etc... and a sample size of 61 with just one question asked is laughable from a research view point. Conclusion.... bollucks.

Edit: btw if there indeed were more questions asked that was not made evident hence my comment.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Why would the console with the smallest install base (at present) be the preferred target. Is Nintendo’s approval process the easiest or is it the simplest console to code on? I don’t get the choice here. What a shitty survey.

MaulerX

714x-1

So this was in response to "if they could only pick one" scenario. I'm not sure that this means anything tbh considering the Switch (with the lowest installed base) is almost triple that of PS4. The XBO being dead last is no surprise considering the question they asked.

TannerDemoz

Bad survey, but still - wasn't Xbox originally the go-to for indies? They were championing it back in 09/10 with the release of the indie giants like Super Meat Boy, Limbo, etc. Sad state of affairs if indies are going elsewhere, I wonder what happened.

Calibos

It is a terrible job on the survey. I would think that a sample of 500 plus would be needed for this.

Ignoring that though, all I can say is welcome to "No Shit" news.

The PS4 has double the amount of indies as xbox. roughly 1000 to 500.
Double the install base.
Double the goodwill on the interwebs.

...and yet, Xbox has two of the best Indies ever made. Ori and Cuphead so I guess there is that.

Allandor

It is a terrible job on the survey. I would think that a sample of 500 plus would be needed for this.

Ignoring that though, all I can say is welcome to "No Shit" news.

The PS4 has double the amount of indies as xbox. roughly 1000 to 500.
Double the install base.
Double the goodwill on the interwebs.

...and yet, Xbox has two of the best Indies ever made. Ori and Cuphead so I guess there is that.
also don't forget, sony seems to let everything on there platform these days. Just look one of the last jimpressions.
Quantity != quality. But well... there is so much junk on both platforms...

But if I would be an indy developer and have to choose one of the platforms I would go with the bigger audience. Just that simple.
Btw, the survey is crap.

That would be pretty obvious given the current market share.

Doesn’t mean a deal in reality though. Go on the Xbox store and there’s like a bazillion games on there. Plus any real successful indie game is going to find it’s way to all platforms.

Vawn

Banned
If I made games, I'd be all over the one that the more you charge, the more likely people will buy it. Especially if I was looking to port an old game.

Journey

Banned
Haha, if you could only pick one, why would anyone choose anything other than the higher installed base?

Here's another useless survey, not a direct analogy, but you get the point:

Survey: If you could only pick one, would you date a blond or a brunette?
Me: Umm, well if I have to choose one, then I guess a brunette.

Survey conclusion: I would only date a brunette.
homer.jpg

Last edited:
Why would the console with the smallest install base (at present) be the preferred target. Is Nintendo’s approval process the easiest or is it the simplest console to code on? I don’t get the choice here. What a shitty survey.

I read an article on how it was a huge focus of Nintendo to be more "indy-friendly" with the Switch so I'd imagine it's a reaction to that. The PS4 had a similar pro-indy campaign when it was first released and I think they ripped some indys from Xbox who had some annoying and stringent policies that indys weren't big on. (MS may have changed these since then but the damage has been done). Sony and Nintendo made it a priority when their new consoles came out and MS didn't. This survey doesn't say anything we didn't already know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom