• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxSpirit

So yeah, as a few people may know, I have this slight obsession with silent hardware. Maybe because my 40GB PS3 turned into a in-my-livingroom jet-engine after about an hour of Uncharted 2 or other demanding titles. A truly deafening roar.

So if possible, I want to avoid running into a similar noise trap with my next console. The XBOne has me covered there, with a look like a swiss cheese and a cooling solution that can only be described as "ample".

20130514-xbox-one-tealvut4.jpg

So, any info on the PS4 would be really appreciated :)

Izick

Yeah, I think there's info out there on the sound and heat stuff, as those are my only two concerns, but I can't seem to find anything solid, so I'm hoping people will link to stuff here.

Zoator

I think part of the reason why the Xbox One is so large is to make it as quiet as possible (with a large, low RPM fan and plenty of ventilation). I think the PS4 will be louder comparatively, but still not as loud as a launch Xbox 360 or PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you heard impressions from people with a live Xbox one running a game? Because if not, both consoles are open for speculation. And size is no guarantee of quietness

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That's my concern with the slim design.

I hope that media playback will be handled in a low power mode by the secondary processor alone (most probably some ARM).

vg260

XOne has that huge top fan and the PS4 fan(s) would have to be smaller, so it definitely seems likely the One will be quieter.

Have you heard impressions from people with a live Xbox one running a game? Because if not, both consoles are open for speculation. And size is no guarantee of quietness
At least the disc won't be spinning while playing One games. My biggest issue with 360 before the optional installs. And don't even get me started on Wii U, disc spins constantly no matter what!

Jinko

So if possible, I want to avoid running into a similar noise trap with my next console. The XBOne has me covered there, with a look like a swiss cheese and a cooling solution that can only be described as "ample".

Just because you have more air holes doesn't automatically make it quitter.

I can certainly understand the concern for noise , but my reasoning stems from a purely different point of view. The louder the hardware, the more paranoid I get that its going to die / somethings wrong.

The PS4's size does seem impressive...yet concerning from a cautious or cynical standpoint.

EDIT: Does noise purely arise from lack of venting & fans? If so, does the PS4's rear vents do an adequate job, considering a lot of consoles go into enclosed cabinets / home theater setups.

Nobody can answer that question, OP.

Also I wouldn't trust any company what they say about their own product on that matter. You must wait and hear it for yourself.

Kerub

Banned
Noise has never been a problem to me..I could even handle the old 360 models that sounded like vacuum-cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom