• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ishisoft (Johnny Platform dev) is bringing another of it's freeware games, Treasure Treasure, to Xbox:

Treasure Treasure: Fortress Forage: Extra Edition
It’s a fairly straightforward port, no fancy colours or HD remix or anything, but as the name suggests there will be one or two extra bits.

Boxart.png

PC version info/screens:
Trixie and Troy need to combine their talents, think carefully and blow things up to find all the treasures hidden in an abandoned castle.

This is a two player split-screen puzzle/platform game, with local co-op only.

ttff01.png

ttff03.png

Gowans

Ohh done nice stuff to look forward too, I'll have to remember.

End of the month Toy, looking forward to your next thread.

Fuck, that's gorgeous.

I've just about finished the new monthly thread which I'll post up later, and which will see this thread stop.

Post that stuff in the new thread when it arrives!

Alpha Squad reveal trailer

And PC demo!

Alpha Squad is a hybrid Shooter/Adventure/RPG game. Think if Smash TV and Zelda had a love child.

A team of mercenaries become unlikely heroes when a simple contract turns into betrayal. Play the role of Alpha Squad: Clint, Jin, Lynx and their disposable sidekick, Lackey as they hunt who betrayed them.

This is a limited contest only version of Alpha Squad. A number of features are locked and details on the stages are still being worked on. Look for the final version of Alpha Squad on the Xbox 360 this fall.

This demo features the entire first stage of the game (some objects still being worked on) and an Arena Mode, where you try to rack up as many points as possible before dying.

The final version will also feature up to four players (local or online) in the Story Mode and Arena Mode for complete networked integration.

For more information you can visit the studio website at www.dragondivide.com

This is the game with music by Metroid Metal's Stemage.

HadesGigas said:
Alpha Squad reveal trailer

And PC demo!

This is the game with music by Metroid Metal's Stemage.

Looks to have unusually high production values for an indie game but I'm not entirely sure I like the way that video looks. Enemies soak up way too much damage for what they're billing as "Smash TV meets Zelda". Too much time is spent dodging incoming enemies. You think of Smash TV and Zelda, and those first few enemies went down in two hits max. Not, you know, four seconds of constant fire.

Feep

Banned
I just submitted a build of my game to important people at Xbox Live Arcade.

Jesus Christ, I'm nervous.

Someone say nice things to me.

Ventron

Feep said:
I just submitted a build of my game to an associate producer of Xbox Live Arcade.

Jesus Christ, I'm nervous.

Someone say nice things to me.

Wait, as in full-on Xbox Live Arcade? How did you manage to get contacts for that?

Feep

Banned
Ventron said:
Wait, as in full-on Xbox Live Arcade? How did you manage to get contacts for that?
It's a long story that starts with me, alone, on the street in downtown San Diego.

(I'm fucking serious.)

Scott

Kafel said:
What's your game again ?
He's making that Rhythm/RPG hybrid "Sequence," which seems like a hodgepodge of Amplitude (or Rock Band Unplugged, to be more current) style track-switching and RPG questing. Here's an older post of his about it.

I think it looks really neat, and I'm definitely always up for experimental and/or new ways to approach the RPG genre (I've had a long, torrid love affair going with Puzzle/RPGs for that very reason :p). It's pretty exciting that this may be getting a full-fledged release, as I think a lot of titles end up selling themselves short on the Indie Games service, so the more titles that can break through that barrier and get 'published' (for lack of a better term), the better.

I wish you luck, Feep; I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this goes well. Though, to be honest, I'll likely support you with a purchase either way. :p

Does Prismatic Solid have the most polys ever rendered on a 360 at 60fps? I just got to the level with the hundreds of smooth spheres on the ground and particles/fire going on. If that added up it has to be an incredible amount of triangles.

God, even the title screen is poly packed. Those are not regular boxes or octagons, they have smooth beveled edges. The rendering engine is insane.

Warm Machine said:
Does Prismatic Solid have the most polys ever rendered on a 360 at 60fps? I just got to the level with the hundreds of smooth spheres on the ground and particles/fire going on. If that added up it has to be an incredible amount of triangles.

God, even the title screen is poly packed. Those are not regular boxes or octagons, they have smooth beveled edges. The rendering engine is insane.

Yup, I love the way this game looks. Incredible game, considering the price point.

nextgeneration said:
Yup, I love the way this game looks. Incredible game, considering the price point.

He could have and should have charged more for the game. I feel bad buying it for 80 points. After MS takes their cut I gave him 68 cents for it which is impossible to make a profit on. It has been worth about 400 points so far.

I'd have bought it earlier if I knew it was out and who developed it. Those guys have had cool XNA demo material for a while.

Warm Machine said:
He could have and should have charged more for the game. I feel bad buying it for 80 points. After MS takes their cut I gave him 68 cents for it which is impossible to make a profit on. It has been worth about 400 points so far.

I'd have bought it earlier if I knew it was out and who developed it. Those guys have had cool XNA demo material for a while.

Agreed. This game is worth FAR more than just 80 points. Had this been 400 points, I would have had no problems buying it for that many points.

Sydle

Noogy said:
Hi all. We've been having a colorful discussion regarding certain types of games on the service, and the motives behind them. Since the question has been brought up regarding what 'consumers want', I ask the question.... is this what 'you want'?

http://forums.xna.com/forums/p/58507/358984.aspx#358984

I'd love to know your thoughts, and if you'd like, I suggest contacting the developer ( http://jforcegames.com/ ) about it.

Ugh. If it weren't for GAF and the XBLI threads I probably wouldn't bother sifting through all the garbage. The free marketplace approach is really hurting the service.

On another note, where is Dust? Am I missing an official thread with updates? I was looking forward to it and then it just disappeared.

Noogy

Paco said:
On another note, where is Dust? Am I missing an official thread with updates?

There hasn't really been an official thread, and it's safe to say that for now I'm going dark. In case you missed it I did announce the game as an XBLA release some time ago. I mostly just post on my Twitter account regarding development as NoogyTweet.

Noogy

Stumpokapow said:
I don't buy shitty massage apps, and I'm not going to buy his shitty twin-stick shooter when it does get released.
Thank you. I'll probably gather up a bunch of these quotes and kindly forward them to the dev.

Kafel

Banned
Noogy said:
Thank you. I'll probably gather up a bunch of these quotes and kindly forward them to the dev.

I've read this thread before you posted the link here and I already thought that it was going to be nasty. In the end these guys do what they want, they obviously don't have the same targets as others in the XNA community and this whole "debate" looks like neighbors' fights.

So why do you bring it here ? Can't you mind your own business ?

Noogy

Kafel said:
Can't you mind your own business ?
Selling XNA-developed games IS my business. And I'm not offering an opinion either way. The developer claimed that they knew what gamers wanted, and I wanted to see if they were right.

If this becomes successful for them, you can take a wild guess what other developers might do.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kafel said:
So why do you bring it here ? Can't you mind your own business ?

What you have to realize is that the XNA community is a community. People help each other. Games have to pass peer review, so every game maker is also a game tester for others. The community collectively provides a lot of input to Microsoft, which has shaped the decisions they've made since release. Developers share their sales figures, successes and failures, work to help each other with box art, titles, marketing, etc.

So it's not like this is Miyamoto calling out Kojima here. Noogy's part of that community, as are all the people in that thread, and the purpose is to call out a developer for what they see as a really selfish move, and one that regardless of whether it helps the developer, is destructive to the community as a whole.

Feep

Banned
I feel that these types of "games" are damaging to the service. Most gamers (myself included) don't roam around the Indie Games channel, because it's filled with a remarkable percentage of substandard titles. I intend to RELEASE on this channel, and I *still* don't care. I peer review occasionally, but that's it.

That said, this is the nature of the beast. The draw of XBLIG is the open nature of the platform, and if we start to let only "proper" games in, well, it becomes another XBLA. That channel exists as a bar of quality and value. XBLIG exists for openness.

I can't really blame the guys for taking advantage, even if they are jerks, or clever marketers. It's a shame, but I don't think anything can be done.

Except submit to XBLA oh god please call me back soon, guy

Stumpokapow said:
I don't buy shitty massage apps, and I'm not going to buy his shitty twin-stick shooter when it does get released.

Hopefully you guys can keep it in peer review for as long as possible. Wading through the masses of crap can be a real pain especially since there's some real gems on the platform now. Thankfully GAF actually has the best indie game resource going with its monthly thread and game awards which are excellent. Microsoft need to do something similar. Heck just copy those posts wholesale and stick it on Major Nelson's blog, it'd be a start.

Gowans

Feep said:
It's a shame, but I don't think anything can be done.

Except submit to XBLA oh god please call me back soon, guy

It would be great if there could be a section added to the Indie Games (get rid of IGN Picks) with a mark of quality of something that peer reviews can issue along side there current scoring.

Good Luck

Kafel

Banned
These guys want to make easy money and instead of staying in the shadows they come out and say "Look we have a real game coming out too !". Maybe they felt that they had to explain themselves so actually they don't spend years in peer review.

Now Noogy everyone knows they're being clumsy and ashamed, moreover of course it's not what gamers want. It's what a part of the crowd on the 360 wants. But since the Indie Games are for everyone I don't see why you had to bring this shit here so we can blame them even more because for sure you'll find people here to do that.

They chose to spend time on another massage app and it would hurt the service ? Just like another shitty shooter I think.

Noogy

Part of it is me hoping that it gives them a little 'non-developer' perspective on these decisions they've made. It's very hurtful when they approach both their peers and competitors with that sort of attitude, and secretly I hope they realize what they are doing, and instead focus on their 'real' game.

I just don't like the idea of someone putting their heart and soul into a game for a year, only to have it bumped off the new releases because someone else spent a few days on a cash-in. That said, I don't think it'll be passing peer review anytime soon.

And I agree... the Indie threads on Gaf are some of the best and most informative around. Even I learn about some hidden gems through here, and for that I'm thankful.

segarr

I wish MS would just purge the channel, take the 50 or so best games hand-picked by someone like toythatkills, Gowans, or Kafel, and refund the subscriptions of all the Creator's Club members. It's radical but I think you would have at least 50 games that are actually worth buying and none of the junk to turn everyone off with. Obviously you would let everyone keep what they already bought but just please take the crap off the marketplace for chrissakes. There are over 1000 now! After that, end the service or vet each new game by panel.

People went wild with $$ signs in their eyes with this thing. You don't see that on the PC with developers releasing competent games for free every week. I said from the beginning the second MS made the channel for pay, they changed the whole nature of the indie developer. Now at least half of the people are just trying to find something that sells by doing the least amount of work possible and it's embarrassing.

N.A

Banned
segarr said:
I wish MS would just purge the channel, take the 50 or so best games hand-picked by someone like toythatkills, Gowans, or Kafel, and refund the subscriptions of all the Creator's Club members. It's radical but I think you would have at least 50 games that are actually worth buying and none of the junk to turn everyone off with. Obviously you would let everyone keep what they already bought but just please take the crap off the marketplace for chrissakes. There are over 1000 now! After that, end the service or vet each new game by panel.

People went wild with $$ signs in their eyes with this thing. You don't see that on the PC with developers releasing competent games for free every week. I said from the beginning the second MS made the channel for pay, they changed the whole nature of the indie developer. Now at least half of the people are just trying to find something that sells by doing the least amount of work possible and it's embarrassing.

So instead of letting 10+ great games and dozens more that are worth trying come out every year you would just get rid of the whole thing? If there is any judging on the quality of games it just becomes a second tier XBLA.

What they really need is a much better interface for finding games. A custom storefront like what they are doing with Destination Arcade could really help.

segarr

N.A said:
So instead of letting 10+ great games and dozens more that are worth trying come out every year you would just get rid of the whole thing? If there is any judging on the quality of games it just becomes a second tier XBLA.

What they really need is a much better interface for finding games. A custom storefront like what they are doing with Destination Arcade could really help.
Yes, judging by quality is exactly what I'm arguing for. I just think it's fairer for the people who put some actual effort in. Right now, this is like unrestrained capitalism; I'm calling for more regulation ;)

Kafel

Banned
I went to marketplace.xbox.com to sort the games by their marks and I'm not really "surprised" by the results. I don't see why it's such a difficulty for people.

Indie developers tend to rely too much on this "newly released" list and complain about it. If your game doesn't sell it's easy to point fingers at the apps that take most of their sales because they're in this list (hello massage apps !). But if you've released a true good game and you've done the right MKG choices then it should be able to age well and stand where gamers actually look for it.

segarr said:
I wish MS would just purge the channel, take the 50 or so best games hand-picked by someone like toythatkills, Gowans, or Kafel, and refund the subscriptions of all the Creator's Club members.

Well there's a dumb idea. The problem is that the methods available for browsing content aren't good and games on XBIG don't get marketed in an effective way, not that the service is succeeding in its goal of allowing anyone to develop an independent game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kafel said:
I went to marketplace.xbox.com to sort the games by their marks and I'm not really "surprised" by the results. I don't see why it's such a difficulty for people.

Indie developers tend to rely too much on this "newly released" list and complain about it. If your game doesn't sell it's easy to point fingers at the apps that take most of their sales because they're in this list (hello massage apps !). But if you've released a true good game and you've done the right MKG choices then it should be able to age well and stand where gamers actually look for it.
You're right, to some degree. Regardless of this, seeing Baby Maker Extreme and Try Not to Fart in the top two spots of the Most Downloaded games list every week (along with pretty much everything in that list) has to be a huge demotivator for anybody not developing pure garbage. It's EXTREMELY damaging to the entire service to have these types of games on there.

segarr

charlequin said:
Well there's a dumb idea. The problem is that the methods available for browsing content aren't good and games on XBIG don't get marketed in an effective way, not that the service is succeeding in its goal of allowing anyone to develop an independent game.
When I clean out a fridge, I empty the thing and start over. I don't just rearrange the crap in a different way.

karobit

segarr said:
When I clean out a fridge, I empty the thing and start over. I don't just rearrange the crap in a different way.

This is an appropriate analogy. Games are just like perishable goods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom