• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Series Will Remain a Turn-Based RPG Series Going Forward

SkylineRKR

Makes sense as the 2 IP can co-exist now. They could but they were ofcourse awfully similar.

I liked Judgment more than Yakuza anyway. Like a Dragon was a very fun game though. But I'm glad Judgment keeps the real time combat. Will play both IP.

Shouta

this. Like a Dragon was amazing and Judgement was amazing too. I feel like Judgement will have more wiggle room in it to improve the action combat too so I really like that they decided this.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
SaturnSaturn SaturnSaturn
Daisuke Sato was talking about remaking Kenzan and Ishin. (they'll without doubt be remaked sooner on day)

Would you be a little less disapointed if the samourai serie would stay a BTA ? (for sure they wouldn't change the system for this spin-off)

Last edited:

aisback

This to me is a fair balance.

I do prefer the brawler style as it allows me to rush through games but I did enjoy the strategy of LAD

Last edited:

Ryu_Joestar

Fine by me, i actually enjoyed the turn-based combat more than the regular beat 'em up, strangely enough turned up to be even more fun for doing a "step back"

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'll play it .... but I'd be a hypocrite if I cheered this on while complaining about all the turn based games that get discontinued or "evolved" into action games.

They should've made this the spinoff and kept the traditional gameplay for the fans that got them here.

No, its the only game series i still play other than football manager and indie and AA managment games, the industry is shit bro, there are no good new games, so for me its sad. I have no doubt Nagoshi, will make a great game he has never made a bad one, but it should not be mainline, i just dont get why fans went along with it, no other series would accept such a radical change, ever!
Play Souls

lachesis

After 6 games + bunch of gaidens with action - I see why not. Time to change up before it gets too stale.
Considering Yakuza games come out in rather quick successions - almost yearly basis - so I think it's a wise move to change up off and on.
Perhaps when LAD saga is over and done, perhaps they'll think of something else?

AGRacing

Gold Member
So I purchased Judgement on PS4 and didn't get too into it... I went to buy the PS5 upgrade for what I assumed would be 9.99 - 19.99 and there isn't one?! Are they nuts!?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm sure they'll switch it up again once the turn based systems get old like they felt the normal systems got old. Turn based might get old faster, or they may reinvent it rather than keep this DQ-esque one from LAD for more than a couple games, Idk.

I'm not sure how many games with that exact system I could stomach. I loved LAD but doing it all over again? We'll see when the first sequel hits I guess, how they'll try and make it feel fresh. Hopefully it won't be just the story that keeps me going...

Plz add a quest where you join a Virtua Fighter, Virtual On, and other such games' tournament or something SEGA, the arcade games are so underutilized with some super mini missions that consist of just getting a score or x wins in a row and stuff.

Last edited:
I told all you fucking morons that said "lol its just one of, the gameplay has gotten stale stop bitcing, no one cared about the gameplay anyway it was always shit, the minigames was the best" if you buy it its here to stay.
You stupid Yakuza 0 bandwagoners ruined my series, both with your homo-erotic fanfiction shit that injected majima into the kiwami games and ruined them, and this meme that "gameplay was never important looool"
Judgement should have been a jrpg and yakuza should have been a brawler, there are no fucking brawlers on the market now.

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans, bunch of insufferable retards. You would all be up in arms if mainline Forza games or Gran Turismo games suddenly turned into Managment games where you dont even drive, but its okay for Yakuza since you played to many to fast and got burnt out.

bawwww.jpg

e&e

Banned
Doesn't matter to me tbh, I play Yakuza's because of the world, the characters and the story.

I hope they'll keep Ichiban and his friends, they're a cool bunch deserving more than one game.
You don’t play the game for its....gameplay?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You don’t play the game for its....gameplay?
I enjoy both realtime and turn-based combat and both have been done well in Yakuza games, but it's not the selling point for me as brawlers and jRPG's aren't amongst my favorite genres. If this was a series of games from a studio like Ubisoft with boring settings, characters and stories I wouldn't have bothered playing them.

Last edited:
I told all you fucking morons that said "lol its just one of, the gameplay has gotten stale stop bitcing, no one cared about the gameplay anyway it was always shit, the minigames was the best" if you buy it its here to stay.
You stupid Yakuza 0 bandwagoners ruined my series, both with your homo-erotic fanfiction shit that injected majima into the kiwami games and ruined them, and this meme that "gameplay was never important looool"
Judgement should have been a jrpg and yakuza should have been a brawler, there are no fucking brawlers on the market now.

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans, bunch of insufferable retards. You would all be up in arms if mainline Forza games or Gran Turismo games suddenly turned into Managment games where you dont even drive, but its okay for Yakuza since you played to many to fast and got burnt out.
I personally feel fans are ruining a ton of games lately imo

Borderline making me take a step back from gaming in general.

Fair enough really. Anyone complaining, like there isn't enough in the classic style already. Change can be good. I've played the series for a long time and I'm okay with it. Shit does get stale if you keep making the same game over and over again.

I would still like to play Kenzan and Ishin in English though.
Turning it turned based is a lazy change though lol

How about more ambition in a live action combat system...but that would take time right?

This is whats wrong with gaming today, nobody wants to really revolutionize anything. We should be seeing a next gen evolved combat system, not one that looks like the same thing its been since ps2. And not a turn based combat system thats even less technically impressive.

Guess I’m done with Yakuza. On top of a gameplay change I don’t care for, the new one just looked lame and full of the wacky shit I don’t actually like about these games. Shame as I was excited about a new lead.

Judgement was cool though.

Turning it turned based is a lazy change though lol

How about more ambition in a live action combat system...but that would take time right?

This is whats wrong with gaming today, nobody wants to really revolutionize anything. We should be seeing a next gen evolved combat system, not one that looks like the same thing its been since ps2. And not a turn based combat system thats even less technically impressive.
I don't get how you can call it lazy. Nagoshi probably got burnt out and bored of making the same thing for years on end. You have 7 games of the classic style (not including the original 2 versions) in the main series. It's a beat em up. How much more can you really innovate with the genre? They remade 2 of the series which tells me there's a lack of fresh ideas. There's Judgement which is a take on the Yakuza style but a little different. I personally welcome the change. I've yet to play Like A Dragon but I'm definitely ok with it. The only issue I see people having (which isn't an issue) is that it's called Yakuza. It's not like the change in style has to be forever. There's plenty to play if you want the old style. I'd say it's more lazy to stick to the same formula every game. They're trying something different and I commend them for taking a risk and mixing it up. You may think it's less technically impressive but they've had 1 attempt so far. I just think you're scared of change.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't know how I feel about this. I'll wait to decide until I've played the next couple Yakuza games.

Also, Dead Souls remaster when? DO IT SEGA!

Xeaker

Turn Based was cool for a change and refreshing, but I prefer if they would go back to action battle. Felt better to beat the shit out of enemies...

Great lets make the series even more boring
If it's boring to you in the first place, fuck off and play something else then. Not hard is it.

"Full of wacky shit", "make the series even more boring", "Yakuza is dead". Fucking bitches in this thread man... If you want the same game every time, just play the fuckin' old ones. They're still there.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Not sure how feel about this.

I did really enjoy it.

But about halfway through, as you get more members to your party, it felt more and more like a poor man's Persona.

Camreezie

SaturnSaturn SaturnSaturn I get where you're coming from, honestly. There was awhile where Dead Rising was my favorites series, and watching what happened to that franchise was heartbreaking for me. It seemed like they slowly stripped away everything that made it unique and turned it into the most generic open-world zombie game possible to pander to the western market. No one wants to see their favorite games die so I sympathize, I just am personally a little more optimistic on the direction Yakuza is going since they're at least keeping their old gameplay alive through Judgement. Hopefully you're pleasantly surprised and it's not as bad as you are anticipating this change to be.
Bridges bro same here I was a die hard dead rising fan too. At least SaturnSaturn has an alive franchise even if they have shifted genre

Markio128

I can’t seem to muster the enthusiasm to finish Like a Dragon. It’s strange because I really enjoyed it at first, but now I’m just a bit fed up of the constant battles. A trip to the shop for a bottle of water consisted of 4 battles. Plus, I find it a little overwhelming when a game adds so many components, like running the business for instance.

TheKratos

It was obvious that Judgement would take over as the "classic Yakuza". They took the risk of turn-based gameplay on a franchise that already had a strong name, while their new franchise will cater to the old Yakuza fans. Win win for Sega I guess.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This is a bold decision, but one that was needed to be made. As an old timer with the series and an insanely lover for it (it's my favourite gaming series) it was clear to me the franchise needed some breath of fresh air after Y6.

They could have perfectly stayed in their confort zone and continue to do the same formula, however they took a gamble and twisted the series into an RPG. I was not a fan of such decision, but after playing Like a Dragon for about 20 hours (it's the game I'm currently playing) I gotta say it's quite possibly one of the most refreshing RPG's in recent years. Funny, challenging, content-packing, narratively interesting, it's an amazingly well crafted first try for them.

Having this and Judgment series focusing on the more traditional take, while also being able to refresh things on its own, it's the best of two world.

Just look at Lost Judgment, looks damn dope already.

I'm perfectly fine with both, and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's just shows once again why they are easily my most favourite Japanese studio.

Kudos to them for making these games happen.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

I get why you're upset, and I also thought if they wanted a turn based version they could just do that in a spin off like Judgment.

What I don't get though is the relation between this and Yakuza 0?

Keihart

I'm super ok with this, even before the turn based system was introduced i was calling this games rpgs, they mostly are. So i'm happy they finally embracing it, i just hope they don't settle by the system already in place and experiment more within what a turn based combat can be.

Top Bottom