• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Bumping because I thought some people would be interested in this: if you, like me, were interested in the Best of Theatrhythm CD included in the CE back when it came out but didn't want to pay the extra cash for it and be stuck with the bulky collector's box, the Square Enix store is offering the CD separately as a reward for using their store. It costs 100 reward points which I believe you can collect by making only two purchases (or at least that's how many I've made). You still have to pay for shipping once you redeem it, but I still got it because the song selection is pretty good. Thought it was worth sharing. :)

Wagram

Just started this after holding off for so long. Good god the music is amazing and the amount of songs is incredible. Might pick up some of the DLC (especially from Nier).

Anyone still playing from time to time?

eefara

Yeah, I play it still and do dailies, at the very least. The game's got great staying power. I'd definitely recommend the Nier DLC; I don't believe the the entire songs are represented, though, if that's a deal breaker.

Mepsi

I've finally got this game after months of hunting for it in local shops. However this game is driving me nuts with an issue that I can't seem to resolve.

If I play the quest medley mode after 2 songs the game will pop up an error saying I can't use spot pass because I have no SD card(even though I do). If I go to my home screen my DS complains it cannot access the SD card.

I have to restart my DS and delete the extra data for the game otherwise it complains it's corrupt, I have no problem with any other game on my SD card and I have quite a few.

This problem does occur playing the normal song mode but after 10 or so songs also. I've tried enabling and disabling spot pass to see what happens but I cannot for the life of me get this working and it's driving me mad because I cannot save my quest mode or high score data and it's really putting me off the game.

Has anybody had this problem, or have any idea how to fix it?

dLMN8R

Can someone help me wrap my head around some of the systems in this game?

I just started playing it yesterday and it's completely overwhelming how many systems and concepts they present to you up front. It's the worst kind of tutorialization where they just spew a bunch of text at you instead of teaching you things during the course of the game.

Basically:

• If Spells and items don't contribute to your score, what's the point of them? Do they only matter if you're not doing well in the song?
  • Is there any purpose to selecting different characters other than the fact that they expose different songs?
  • What are gems for? How do they work? How are they different from the experience I'm earning and other points I'm getting from completing songs?

My impression is that Theatrhythm is just a very basic rhythm game, but they've artificially wrapped it with so many layers of complex numbers just to give it the appearance of depth it doesn't really have. But results is just a confusing jumbled mess that's difficult to understand at first.

Spells and abilities can help out in a lot of ways:
- They can help kill monsters faster. More monster kills means more experience and more treasure. Once you start doing quest mode.
- They can heal you or keep you alive if you're doing poorly in a song
- They can make you run faster on Field songs, giving you more treasure

Different characters have different stats and abilities that can make certain stages more advantageous to run. Thief type characters usually have higher speed, making them more useful for Field stages. Other characters might fit your playstyle on Battle stages, based on how well you can play the game.

As for crystals, do you mean Crystarium Points? Those are just a running total to help with unlocks and other bonuses. You can get more CP by using characters in the same series as the song you're playing, or getting a full combo.

linko9

Can someone help me wrap my head around some of the systems in this game?

I just started playing it yesterday and it's completely overwhelming how many systems and concepts they present to you up front. It's the worst kind of tutorialization where they just spew a bunch of text at you instead of teaching you things during the course of the game.

Basically:

• If Spells and items don't contribute to your score, what's the point of them? Do they only matter if you're not doing well in the song?
  • Is there any purpose to selecting different characters other than the fact that they expose different songs?
  • What are gems for? How do they work? How are they different from the experience I'm earning and other points I'm getting from completing songs?

My impression is that Theatrhythm is just a very basic rhythm game, but they've artificially wrapped it with so many layers of complex numbers just to give it the appearance of depth it doesn't really have. But results is just a confusing jumbled mess that's difficult to understand at first.

1) The spells and abilities you should be using are the ones that (A) make your first character go faster in field music and (B) make you do damage in battle music. These will get you a lot more experience and cards and rhythmia. This is important because the numbers go up. I never use items because that causes a number to go down, and who wants that.

2) Different characters do not expose different songs, that's just based on the initial party you choose, you'll unlock all the songs soon enough, and it doesn't have to do with who's in your party. These principles should guide your party selection: (A) you want a party with a fast person in the front and (B) you want everyone to do a lot of damage. You change your party because at level 99, the number stops going up, and that's bad. You could alternately just reset their level, which makes the number go back to 1, but you get a shiny star, and the numbers can go up again. Also the number of skill points goes up for each level reset, which is obviously important because it allows the other numbers to go up faster.

3) If you're talking about the crystals: This is how you unlock new characters. If you're talking about rhythmia: that unlocks a bunch of other stuff. It's good to do things that increase the rhythmia you get, e.g. having a character from the song's game, having an all male/female party, playing good, etc., since this will make the number go up faster.

Your impression is I suppose correct, though I think the gameplay itself is actually really good, though its certainly easier than a lot of rhythm games. The draw of this game is the excellent FF music, and FF nostalgia. And watching numbers go up. If those things don't interest you, you're lost and cannot be helped.

dLMN8R

Thanks, all of that does help quite a bit.

I do enjoy the rhythm action, so I didn't mean to be reductive about the gameplay - just the stuff wrapped around that gameplay.

The main thing that the game does not teach is the fact that the length of a particular song and the number of enemies you face and kill during that song are not directly connected at all. That's why I was confused about abilities which claim to increase your power.

I thought you'd end up facing the same enemies on a given song every single time, unless you changed the difficulty. The game does a terrible job explaining that your experience on a particular song on a particular difficult could change quite a bit depending on the abilities you have and the levels of your characters.

pariah164

Necroing this thread for a couple reasons:

- If anyone cares about DLC, Real Emotion from X-2 is being delisted Monday, so get it while you can.

- Can anyone give me a map (not Extreme) that gives White Shards? Need them for one last character unlock.

MrDaravon

Necroing this thread for a couple reasons:

- If anyone cares about DLC, Real Emotion from X-2 is being delisted Monday, so get it while you can.

- Can anyone give me a map (not Extreme) that gives White Shards? Need them for one last character unlock.

The delisting is super random, what's the source on that?

I'll check tonight if I have any white shard maps.

MrDaravon

Dan Seto tweeted it:

https://twitter.com/dmseto/status/890945096102932485

I'm guessing licensing is the reason why.

Sweet, thanks.

Weird, I would have assumed S-E owned that outright.

Anyway I'm not sure what you mean by Extreme (difficulty or length?) but I have a level 99 Short Quest that gives 7 white shards that also has Yiazmat as the boss which IIRC is the only reason I kept it. I also have a level 69 Long quest that gives 9 white shards.

pariah164

Weird, I would have assumed S-E owned that outright.

Anyway I'm not sure what you mean by Extreme (difficulty or length?) but I have a level 99 Short Quest that gives 7 white shards that also has Yiazmat as the boss which IIRC is the only reason I kept it. I also have a level 69 Long quest that gives 9 white shards.
I meant difficulty, yes. I have a level 99 with white shards that I just cannot beat.

MrDaravon

This is random, and I don't know if anyone else is still subbed to this thread like me, but I just wanted to call out that this was a cool group and while it wasn't super active you guys and gals were alright ;). I still keep half an eye on the Gamefaqs and Reddit board for this game, and there's actually a relatively active discord for the game (that was posted publicly on both spots) here if anyone's interested at all: https://discord.gg/wFuTfvv

Godspeed everyone.

P.S. I keep hoping the arcade version of Theatrhythm gets announced for Switch or something :(

eefara

This is random, and I don't know if anyone else is still subbed to this thread like me, but I just wanted to call out that this was a cool group and while it wasn't super active you guys and gals were alright ;). I still keep half an eye on the Gamefaqs and Reddit board for this game, and there's actually a relatively active discord for the game (that was posted publicly on both spots) here if anyone's interested at all: https://discord.gg/wFuTfvv

Godspeed everyone.

P.S. I keep hoping the arcade version of Theatrhythm gets announced for Switch or something :(

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad to see people come back and update any interested; I was pretty surprised to see this thread active.

A version for switch would be so good, but so bad at the same time: I'd never be able to stop playing, hahaha.

Celegus

Godspeed everyone.

Yeah this community was so awesome back in the day!! Haven't played in a long time though, let my sister borrow the game a while back and she still has it. Switch version would be sweet too!

Top Bottom