• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Xun

Having watched it, and having ridden the Disneyland version of ToT, it looks totally fine. I actually thought it looked fun. Just, don't touch WDW's Tower.
bob-chapek-disney.jpg

Hopefully not.

OchreHand

GOTG ride tower looks very cool at night. I especially like the green sparks. IIRC the Florida ToT at one point had actual sparks coming off of it but was removed.

And of course I fly out today, one day before the ride opens.

Some videos of Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!

Sitll looks horrible, and having watche the joe rohde tour, the lengths he has to go to make excuses for the ride being a reskin is absurd. Having to hammer to the audience the thing about the power outage and the shitty tubes all around the building at every minute becuase they are bad design decissions.
California based imagineers despise the tower, like Tom Morris, that was one of the lead designers on the complete amazing ovrhaul Califronia Adventure had some years ago.

I'll be at D23 in July and then going to WDW right after so I'm actually looking forward to riding both towers. As someone who travels to both coasts frequently, I'm an advocate for differing experiences. Which is why the huge updates at DHS don't seem all that great to me because when it's all said and done, they will have two Toy Story rides and whatever Great Movie Ride will be that you can't get at DLR. Well, now that Muppetvision is permanently closed at DCA, there's that too.

Kinda a dumb question but I don't really know where to ask or look.
Im planning a solo Disney World trip later this year before a big family trip next year.

Im finally making good money with my job so I can actually go in pretty easy on gifts and merchandise for once.

Is there any sort of guide (official or fanmade) with the more limited or specific items?
Especially talking about limited stuff like cups specific to certain restaurants and such.

zeemumu

Kinda a dumb question but I don't really know where to ask or look.
Im planning a solo Disney World trip later this year before a big family trip next year.

Im finally making good money with my job so I can actually go in pretty easy on gifts and merchandise for once.

Is there any sort of guide (official or fanmade) with the more limited or specific items?
Especially talking about limited stuff like cups specific to certain restaurants and such.

I don't know about a universal merch guide but there's a pin blog for all of the new pin releases and the Disneyland subreddit tends to post about new stuff. I think they still sell the Red Rose Tavern cup in the Be Our Guest restaurant, and the Jolly Roger Funko Pop and Pirate Stein are likely hanging around somewhere so it's best to be on the lookout for those as well.

Regiruler

I heard Sea World got a new coaster, and the (absolutely fantastic) Kraken is getting a VR component. How is the latter for anyone who has tried it?

JonnyKong

I heard Sea World got a new coaster, and the (absolutely fantastic) Kraken is getting a VR component. How is the latter for anyone who has tried it?

Has the vr component been installed now? For some reason I didn't think that was until next year.

I love Kraken (even if I did lose my phone on it), I'm not sure I'd want the vr part of it.

Ouch, since it was my idea and I offered to pay I finished looking up my part of the trip.
$3000 for just tickets and a hotel for me, my mom and my little brother for a Friday to Friday Disney World trip, before food, gas, etc.
Though can't finalize it till I know when my other brother, sister and her fiance can go.

It isn't too bad I guess.

I have only read about it with fallon, but whats the downsides to it? Seems good to me, can explore other parts of the park while you wait.

It works for Fallon because it's only one ride with moderate demand from guests. If you throw virtual queuing on a bunch of rides in the park (and popular rides, at that) you run the risk of clogging up pathways and inflating the wait times of other attractions.

It works for Fallon because it's only one ride with moderate demand from guests. If you throw virtual queuing on a bunch of rides in the park (and popular rides, at that) you run the risk of clogging up pathways and inflating the wait times of other attractions.

I think we'll only see it on a new rides where they dont have room for queues. Doubt they would do it on existing rides.

JonnyKong

Out of interest, how does virtual queuing work? Do you get given a time on an app to come back?

Because that sounds an awful lot like the Disney fastpass which obviously run out of slots pretty quickly..

brerwolfe

Out of interest, how does virtual queuing work? Do you get given a time on an app to come back?

Because that sounds an awful lot like the Disney fastpass which obviously run out of slots pretty quickly..
I did the Jimmy Fallon ride by going into the Universal Orlando app and selecting a time I wanted to ride (which I wanted in the next 5 minutes and it was available). After selecting a time, the app flashed up a QR code and I got it scanned and walked in. It was fine.

It's been tested on Rock N' Roller Coaster, and a few other Disney attractions.

That is why I said full scale.
The parks can't handle that many people walking around, eating and doing other stuff with literally no lines.

It will work in Volcano Bay for example because you have 2 or 3 major attractions that last as long as people want and have almost no maximum capacity.

Heading to cedar point friday, hoping the lines arent crazy. Saw theres a brew and BBQ event going on at the same time which will be cool

So there seems to be a Nintendo-themed stage under construction at Universal Studios Japan. Maybe a more detailed Super Nintendo World announcement is imminent? It should also reveal quite a bit about what's due in the U.S.

aparisi2274

Wow... Toy Story Land at DHS is going to be larger than I first thought...

Here is a nice pic I found on twitter showing off the progress of the area, with the coaster at about 75% installed...

DBfQ8uhXoAIyMny.jpg

Cant wait to see the finished product...

They announced that Kung Fu Panda will be replacing Shrek 4-D at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2018

Kinda surprised it took them that long.

Of all the times I went, the lines were always dead. In fact, that's the only ride at Universal Hollywood that I haven't gone on haha. I just don't care.

How is it?

zeemumu

Kinda surprised it took them that long.

Of all the times I went, the lines were always dead. In fact, that's the only ride at Universal Hollywood that I haven't gone on haha. I just don't care.

How is it?

It's no Terminator 2 3D. Basically a one and done. If you're curious about the experience, just watch the video while sitting in a rocking chair while occasionally spraying water in your face.

It's no Terminator 2 3D. Basically a one and done. If you're curious about the experience, just watch the video while sitting in a rocking chair while occasionally spraying water in your face.

Lol.

T23D is still so good. Hope it's not on the chopping block in Orlando.

Oh man, I really hope that or E.T. never leaves either. If I ever hear of it closing, I'll have to plan a trip down there and see it one more time.

Gartooth

So there seems to be a Nintendo-themed stage under construction at Universal Studios Japan. Maybe a more detailed Super Nintendo World announcement is imminent? It should also reveal quite a bit about what's due in the U.S.

I would love an official announcement of the attractions!

I wonder if they are timing an announcement close to E3? Although hopefully not during the Direct since there would be meltdowns. lol

zeemumu

Oh man, I really hope that or E.T. never leaves either. If I ever hear of it closing, I'll have to plan a trip down there and see it one more time.

E.T. always struck me as a more elaborate version of Peter Pan's Flight at Disneyland, except it probably has a significantly shorter wait time.

Seriously though what's up with Peter Pan's wait time? It averages 30+ mins.

Saw on Twitter the Nintendo groundbreaking event is being reported to take place tomorrow (Japan time) which should be sometime tonight (?) for the U.S.

No clue if they'll announce attraction details, but the stage suggests something a bit bigger than a simple groundbreaking photo-op with Uni/Nintendo personnel holding shovels or whatever. Guess we'll see.

edit - Early 2020 opening date for Japan also being reported.

Zackat

Saw on Twitter the Nintendo groundbreaking event is being reported to take place tomorrow (Japan time) which should be sometime tonight (?) for the U.S.

No clue if they'll announce attraction details, but the stage suggests something a bit bigger than a simple groundbreaking photo-op with Uni/Nintendo personnel holding shovels or whatever. Guess we'll see.

Trying to get it in time for the Olympics?

Gartooth

Its probably going up on Nintendo's Youtube channel then with all the elaborate set design.

So mid 2020 in Orlando? I saw a rumor that construction starts after HHN this year which puts them 6 months behind.

Trying to get it in time for the Olympics?

Yes. Previously it was announced that the expansion would open before the 2020 Olympics. It's apparently just been narrowed down to "early 2020".

Its probably going up on Nintendo's Youtube channel then with all the elaborate set design.

So mid 2020 in Orlando? I saw a rumor that construction starts after HHN this year which puts them 6 months behind.

Conversion on Orlando United (now Inside Universal) seems to be going that way. Late Summer 2020 in Orlando definitely seems possible if construction works at a similar pace as in Japan.

aparisi2274

Is it true they axed the DK Mine Cart Coaster? Been hearing lots of rumbling about that on twitter.

in the groundbreaking ceremony video, the only attraction they mention is Mario Kart. Not sure if there will be others announced at a later date, but as of right now, seems to be just Mario Kart.

Gartooth

Is it true they axed the DK Mine Cart Coaster? Been hearing lots of rumbling about that on twitter.

Mario Kart is the only official ride at the moment. DK was only ever rumored for Orlando though so it is safe. Japan is supposed to be getting Yoshi as the second ride.

Well I sure hope they announce something for it soon...

I am still wondering where they are going to fit it at UniORL. Are they going to revamp the kiddie section where ET currently is? Or put it somewhere else entirely...

Yes, since day 1 the rumors have suggesting Kidzone getting demolished. ET is likely to also go if Yoshi moves in.

Not sure when Orlando will announce it. They tend to wait until very late to announce anything.

Top Bottom