• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Lots of updates from D23 Parks & Resorts panel

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge official name for Star Wars land. Not to be confused with the Galaxy Edge phone from Samsung.
J7sCDGv.jpg

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway replacing The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios

2 new rides announced for Epcot: Ratatouille in France Pavilion and Guardians of the Galaxy replacing the Universe of Energy ride. What do you know? Peter Quill visited Epcot as a child. See? It fits perfectly.
They also announced a new space-themed restaurant and showed off some concept art of a new Epcot entrance.

Tron rollercoaster coming to Magic Kingdom, located right next to Space Mountain.

Fully immersive Star Wars Resort coming to Walt Disney World

Paradise Pier to turn into Pixar Pier at California Adventure. They also promised to turn the area around the new Guardians ride into a Marvel universe with Spider-Man & The Avengers. Yay.

Goldrusher

Don't forget Disneyland Paris' Hotel New York will be rethemed to Marvel.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-to-disneys-hotel-new-york-the-art-of-marvel/

”We're going to create a hotel at Disneyland Paris that would make Tony Stark proud," Bob said. ”I'm thrilled to announce that Disney's Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel will transport our guests to the action-packed, inspiring world of Super Heroes including Iron Man, The Avengers, and Spider Man among others!"

DLPHNYL678473896.jpg

Image_DLP_Hotel-New-York-Lobby.jpg

:')

Every resort around the world has like 10 actual new rides coming up.

Paris a bunch of posters in an old hotel.

OchreHand

My head is spinning from all the news coming out of D23

And with Nintendo World coming to Universal this is like the new golden age of theme parks

Half of all this stuff is absolutely disgusting.
At least im happy Orlandos tower of terror is safe and I like the idea of mickey and pals with the new retro look being the stars of the chinese theater, would have prefered a complete refurbishment of the original ride but it seem it has its days numbered and depending of how they handle the ride of mickey, is a good successor (and still about movie history, even if its animation)

Please Uni, kick disney ass with Nintendo world!
I really hope the ambitious ride of mario kart doesnt fail.

Is that where they're putting the marvel stuff? I'd be totally cool with that.
Bugs land doesnt make sense without the old tot so I dont even mind anymore they get rid of it. I have more of a problem with the 2nd refurbishment of pardise pier just to shoehorn ips when the first refurb was already great.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I have mixed feelings. A lot of cool stuff was announced, but I wish it wasn't mostly IPs & cloned rides from other parks. In theory, the Mickey ride sounds amazing, but I can't stand that art style. Why not use the classic animation style? Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot still doesn't sit right with me, and the Peter Quill polaroid was laughable. But I'm very excited for Ratatouille and Tron. I just hope they're not completely identical to the rides in Paris and Shanghai.

This Epcot concept art of the new entrance is pretty interesting. Hard to tell exactly what's going on, they didn't release a hi-res version. But it looks to be a drastic change. Removing both Innoventions/Communicore buildings and adding a lot more vegetation.

Glad to see WDW getting proper, meaningful investment, even if I am sad to see the GMR go. Hopefully GOTG in EPCOT means they're keeping their hands off the Tower of Terror.

Gartooth

The next 5 years of expansions feel like the biggest investment in WDW since the opening of AK. I'm planning to go in September to see Pandora, but after that I'm not sure whether to plan a trip for Star Wars or to wait a few more years and get to enjoy that plus all the other new attractions from the 50th anniversary. I'm especially excited for a GotG ride that isn't a ToT replacement and the Tron coaster. I think Mickey could really be a sleeper hit too.

Dyle

Star Wars looks all around great, my only real concern is crowd management, the model has tons of little alleyways that I could see mucking things up on busy days. Great Movie Ride leaving is disappointing, the mix of live actors with dark ride sets was a great idea that I would have loved to see them explore again, at least the Mickey ride concept sounds promising. Ratatouille is fine, GotG is meh, Mission Space restaurant looks sick, and the Communicore demolition should help the park feel futuristic again. Tron will be a nice addition. Pixar Pier is gross and presumably undoes so much of the work they already did to the area, hard to believe that DCA will briefly have 3 separate lands devoted to Pixar properties...

Overall it's great to see so much investment in WDW, I just wish that not everything had to be based on licensed properties

Disney's spent much of the past decade heavily immersed in the IP business, across all of its business ventures. We really shouldn't be surprised that the same is true of the theme parks.

Xun

It likely won't happen, but Universal Studios London is apparently being considered in the location that was going to be used for the now cancelled Paramount theme park.

zeemumu

Hiw much frozen they added? Lol

None, actually.

Some of the projection animations have been changed, the brooms were added into the initial Sorcerer's Apprentice section, Lion King was combined with the Jungle Book section, the Pinocchio part with the puppets is gone but the Monstro part is still there, Peter Pan is Pirates of the Caribbean with skeleton pirates, Aladdin and Jasmine were added to the beginning of the princess part and Snow White and her prince were replaced with Flynn and Rapunzel. Also the mirror's dialogue has been changed and Mickey shows up during that part. The villain section onward is more or less the same with some minor pyrotechnic and projection additions.

I saw Fantasmic last night and thought it was fine. I think I liked the Peter Pan scene on the Columbia more than Pirates.

Also, Happy Birthday Disneyland!

Disney must be hurting when it comes to resort dining to offer this;

Raised from 20%, guests can now get 30% off on regular price food and non-alcoholic beverages when dining for dinner prior to 6:30pm or after 8:30pm at the following locations:

Jiko at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Flying Fish at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort
The Wave…of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Citricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
The Grand Floridian Café at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Olivia’s Cafe at Disney’s Old Key West Resort
Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside
The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Artist Point at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Captain’s Grill at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

My guess is they are being cannibalized by the 3rd Party places at Disney Spring, so they are offering 30% off at their own places to drum up business.

OchreHand

Disney must be hurting when it comes to resort dining to offer this;

Raised from 20%, guests can now get 30% off on regular price food and non-alcoholic beverages when dining for dinner prior to 6:30pm or after 8:30pm at the following locations:

Jiko at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Flying Fish at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort
The Wave…of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Citricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
The Grand Floridian Café at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Olivia’s Cafe at Disney’s Old Key West Resort
Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside
The Turf Club Bar & Grill at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Artist Point at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Captain’s Grill at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort

My guess is they are being cannibalized by the 3rd Party places at Disney Spring, so they are offering 30% off at their own places to drum up business.

Best meal I've ever had on property was at Jiko. This was a couple of years ago and I'm still thinking about that steak.

drool.gif

Dump Her!

just kidding. That's too bad... AKL has soo many good places to eat from. I don't think the flavors are too out there.

She just doesn't eat red meat, seafood, or chicken, unless it's chicken breast.

She thoroughly enjoyed the famous bread service at Sanaa though.

So it looks like the Georgia Cyclone will be shutting down at SFOG for potentially an RMC treatment.
Good.
The last few years even on busy days it didn't have enough riders to fill half a train.

brerwolfe

New roller coaster coming to Universal Orlando in 2019:

A new generation of thrill ride is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in 2019! I can’t tell you everything about the new ride just yet, but here’s what I can share:

This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.

The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
Our award-winning Universal Creative team is once again collaborating with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films to bring this new coaster experience to life.

This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world. It’s going to be the perfect addition to Hogsmeade.

We’re permanently closing Dragon Challenge on September 5 to make way for this all-new ride. The last day of operation will be Monday, September 4.

Stay tuned to the blog or sign up for email updates – more details will be released in the future.

In the meantime, make sure you come out and take your last ride on Dragon Challenge before it closes.

aparisi2274

New roller coaster coming to Universal Orlando in 2019:

A new generation of thrill ride is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in 2019! I can’t tell you everything about the new ride just yet, but here’s what I can share:

This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.

The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
Our award-winning Universal Creative team is once again collaborating with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films to bring this new coaster experience to life.

This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world. It’s going to be the perfect addition to Hogsmeade.

We’re permanently closing Dragon Challenge on September 5 to make way for this all-new ride. The last day of operation will be Monday, September 4.

Stay tuned to the blog or sign up for email updates – more details will be released in the future.

In the meantime, make sure you come out and take your last ride on Dragon Challenge before it closes.

Rumors suggest it will be based on the Forbidden Forest and that the ride vehicles will look like the Weasly's car from Chamber of Secrets.

They will be missed.

From what I remember they were no longer running it as a dueling coaster, so it really didnt make sense any more. I just hope that its an actual thrill ride coaster and not something more along the lines of the Flight of the Hippogrif coaster...

Nintendo for 2020, then? ;)

Dragon Challenge is still fun, but it's time for it to go. Queue is a wreck, and the dueling aspect has been gone for what feels like forever. Back row on Fire still gives an incredible kick, but that's about it. The space will be much better utilized by this new ride.

RIP sweet prince.

U1NAwWw.jpg

edit - Goldrusher beating with me the pics, goddamn

Rumors suggest it will be based on the Forbidden Forest and that the ride vehicles will look like the Weasly's car from Chamber of Secrets.

Also been reading stuff about a possible motorcycle RV, complete with side cars. Will be interesting to see. Whatever it is, it certainly sounds nontraditional.

aparisi2274

Nintendo for 2020, then? ;)

Dragon Challenge is still fun, but it's time for it to go. Queue is a wreck, and the dueling aspect has been gone for what feels like forever. Back row on Fire still gives an incredible kick, but that's about it. The space will be much better utilized by this new ride.

RIP sweet prince.

U1NAwWw.jpg

edit - Goldrusher beating with me the pics, goddamn

Also been reading stuff about a possible motorcycle RV, complete with side cars. Will be interesting to see. Whatever it is, it certainly sounds nontraditional.

Nintendo 2020 is Japan. I believe Nintendo Orlando is more like 2021 or even 2022 at this point...

Gartooth

Crossing my fingers the coaster has no screens for the story scenes since the people I bring with me to parks get bad motion sickness.

aparisi2274

Crossing my fingers the coaster has no screens for the story scenes since the people I bring with me to parks get bad motion sickness.

That would require them to build a show building, since you cant implement screens on a ride that is out in the open.... I have a feeling there may be some AA's sprinkled about and possibly some smoke, fire, water, etc...

Gartooth

That would require them to build a show building, since you cant implement screens on a ride that is out in the open.... I have a feeling there may be some AA's sprinkled about and possibly some smoke, fire, water, etc...

Oh I assumed it was an indoor coaster like Mummy. lol

I'm going for a huge trip in the middle of September. I swear on my life if Universal or Disney announces one more flipping ride closure between now and the trip I'm torching Mickey and Woody Woodpecker as a goddamn sacrifice

aparisi2274

Pretty sure it will be.

Oh I assumed it was an indoor coaster like Mummy. lol

Hmmm, everything I've read so far has no mention of it being an indoor ride... especially if it is slated to open in 2019. That would mean that Universal would have to completely dismantle the Dragon coaster that is there now, level the land, then build the actual ride building, then put in the new ride system as well as theming and everything else in around a 2yr timeframe...

Thats a pretty agressive schedule if you ask me.

t hicks

Banned
Really hyped to see what they do with the Dragon Challenge space, have a lot of good memories with that ride but I'm excited to see what's next :) Forbidden Forrest indoor coaster would be fuckin amazing..

I rlly need to get an AP now lol

Hmmm, everything I've read so far has no mention of it being an indoor ride... especially if it is slated to open in 2019. That would mean that Universal would have to completely dismantle the Dragon coaster that is there now, level the land, then build the actual ride building, then put in the new ride system as well as theming and everything else in around a 2yr timeframe...

Thats a pretty agressive schedule if you ask me.

I would think it has to be indoors. Show scenes can be difficult to pull off outdoors, and IoA already a big problem with how many of its rides get shut down due to storms.

aparisi2274

I would think it has to be indoors. Show scenes can be difficult to pull off outdoors, and IoA already a big problem with how many of its rides get shut down due to storms.

I guess... I just assumed they were going to use smoke effects and some other AA's, but what you say does make sense with regards to weather and things like that. I guess if its a Forbidden Forest ride, they could hide the show building by planting an insane amount of tree's to give it the look and feel as if you are about to walk into the forbidden forest.

Gartooth

Yeah I'm in favor of it being indoors if only because I have been at IoA on rainy days and everyone just crowds the few indoor attractions.

I do wonder if they plan on adding more shops and dining options with this new ride. Dragon's Challenge sat on top a ton of land after all.

jtb

Banned
Wait Mean Streak is finally getting the RMC treatment? Thank god. Can't wait to see how that turns out

Also, they're tearing down Dueling Dragons? End of a fucking era. Those coasters were iconic, even if they're pretty boring without the synchronized starts anymore.

brerwolfe

Not just iconic, they're one of the original IoA rides. And I can't think right now, but have any other originals been torn down/replaced?

zeemumu

Does anyone here live in SoCal or Florida and have a Disney Annual Pass?

How often do you visit and what do you do there?

SoCal annual passholder here. When I got my pass the first time I went a little nuts. I was going whenever I had free time because the drive wasn't long and I had free parking. Now I go a couple of times a month.

The cool thing about it is that there's no rush to do everything within a single visit. No panic. You can just walk around and enjoy the stuff that you never do because you're trying to maximize your time. For instance I had never gone to see the Aladdin show in California Adventure (it's Frozen now) prior to getting a pass. It removes the pressure that you usually feel in planning a trip to a theme park.

Zackat

I don't have an annual pass atm. But I am a FL resident and used to. Basically I just went to the parks and did a handful of rides. We go and eat stuff we like at the parks, do stuff at the resorts, etc.

Instead of trying to cram everything in in one day you can just go there on a weekend for the day. It's pretty nice and I will probably get it again soon, especially once all the big construction stuff is nearing completion at Hollywood Studios.

I wonder how long it will be until The Lost Continent is completely gone. Poseidon's Fury wouldn't be a huge loss, but Sindbad is pretty neat. They should retool the show somehow before scrapping it. It could probably work just fine as a Harry Potter show. Maybe a Zelda show once Nintendo starts coming around. As long as people get thrown around and someone gets set on fire, I'd be happy.

Top Bottom