• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

I don't know if you guys keep up with the Halloween revamps, but the Titans of Terror (Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface) & Knuckles Chucky are coming to HHN at Universal Studios Hollywood

zeemumu

What is USJ doing this year?
If they ever do Resident Evil again I have to go back.

Not sure if there have been any announcements from USJ

I do know that Orlando did a weird soul collector promotion on their website with a countdown timer and when it hit zero all those people got was a wallpaper and the ability to enter into a sweepstakes and it pissed everyone off.

Current lineup for Hollywood is The Shining, Ash vs. Evil Dead, American Horror Story Roanoke, and Titans of Terror

aparisi2274

So a friend of mine is down in Disney this week and I was asking him when he was going to hit up AK, to which he replied tomorrow, and so for shits and giggles I opened the WDW app on my phone and took a look at the wait time for Flight of Passage in Pandora, and holy shit it was up to a 240min (4hr wait) as of 10:00am ET.

Is that normal for a Wednesday? Or is the ride still suffering from operating in one theater only???

zeemumu

So a friend of mine is down in Disney this week and I was asking him when he was going to hit up AK, to which he replied tomorrow, and so for shits and giggles I opened the WDW app on my phone and took a look at the wait time for Flight of Passage in Pandora, and holy shit it was up to a 240min (4hr wait) as of 10:00am ET.

Is that normal for a Wednesday? Or is the ride still suffering from operating in one theater only???

It's that time of the summer when everyone's off so the lines are gonna be long regardless of what day it is.

Yeah I was there a couple of weeks ago and the line for flight of passage was routinely between 180-240 minutes. They have that 2 hour after hours period for hotel quests every night just for Pandora that they extended beyond July 4th because the lines are still insane. This is actually why I like fastpass+. I would find a bench to sit on and stare at my phone for 10-15 minutes and get fastpasses for 4 people no problem day of.

zeemumu

That's nuts.

If I go down in the fall for F&W and HHN, I'd assume lines would be much shorter since everyone is back in school.

Yeah, things should be a lot more relaxed during HHN hours because regular people aren't planning trips on days when the park closes early, so that just leaves the HHN attendees. Fall is a decent time to visit theme parks. The emptiness of spring off-season without everything being down for renovation.

Xun

I wouldn't be at all surprised given how little they care about cohesion these days.

DHS needs more added (despite the 2 new lands), so Indiana Jones makes more sense there.

aparisi2274

Doesn't Dinosaur use pretty much the exact same track layout and vehicles that Indiana Jones does??

If this turns out to be true, then its a nice win for Disney because they'll save money on not having to buy new vehicles or completely gut the building...

I would like to see what they do to the exterior... Maybe lots of dense jungle like in DL, or maybe they build a Aztec pyramid like they did over at TDS...

So apparently there's credible talk of Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom closing soon to make way for...Indiana Jones Adventure?

wat
Oh God yes please!
Absolutely. But replacing it with Indy in Animal Kingdom of all parks just seems super random.
it would initially seem random but if you think about it, Indy would kind of fit into the theme similar to Expedition Everest.
Potentially Dinoland could be rethemed into Central & South America with a Mayan pyramid facade built over Dinosaur for Indy.

Eh I like the coasts being different but I do like Indy a ton more than Dinosaur. I think it would fit well if they dump Dinoland all together and just expanded that part of Asia. They need to make it about animals somehow though.

Visited Pandora today. Flight of Passage is fucking incredible, but Disney's high on their own supply if they think that the river ride is in any way acceptable. It might not be fair to expect an E-Ticket, but people were waiting more than two hours for three rooms and an (admittedly impressive) animatronic.

So apparently there's credible talk of Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom closing soon to make way for...Indiana Jones Adventure?

wat

W-What? What does Indiana Jones have to do with animals, besides making people afraid of snakes? Will they be serving monkey brains in the gift shop? Build it where the Indiana Jones show is in Hollywood Studios.

I like Dinosaur, despite its assault on your body and stomach. The room with the Carnotaurus skeleton is awesome.

zeemumu

This year's HHN will be the last one with the Bill & Ted show.

I'm amazed it's lasted this long.

We've had Jabbawockeez in Hollywood's HHN for the past few years.

It's also worth mentioning that this year is the last year that Elvira will do her show at Knotts Halloween Haunt

brerwolfe

The Bill and Ted show is so, so bad. I've tried it a few times and each viewing is like being part of a club where everyone just learned cuss words exist.

The Bill and Ted show is so, so bad. I've tried it a few times and each viewing is like being part of a club where everyone just learned cuss words exist.

It's very much a love/hate show from what I've seen. I know so many people who swear by it, but I also know people who despise it. I'm certainly going to see it since it's my first HHN but I'm going in with no expectations

aparisi2274

I actually find the show (at least in FL) to be hysterical. They always take jabs at Disney and everyone has a great time... I am sad to see it go.

lush

Bill and Ted is fun for what it is, the humor is generally low hanging, crass, pop culture references that largely don't land but the dance numbers, variety of characters, and audience generally makes it a nice little reprieve from standing in queues all night. It being a Bill and Ted themed live show in the 2010s is fun in a nostalgic kind of way too. I wonder what they'll replace it with?

Hopefully they don't touch RHPS again for a while.

Mean Streak officially converted to Hybrid coaster called Steel Vengeance which break 10 world records

the world's FIRST hyper-hybrid coaster! Climb 205 feet over FrontierTown and then drop 200 feet STRAIGHT DOWN at 90 degrees as you reach speeds up to 74 mph!

Debuting in May of 2018, Steel Vengeance breaks 10 world records, including MOST AIRTIME on ANY roller coaster (almost 30 full seconds!), TALLEST hybrid roller coaster, FASTEST hybrid roller coaster, LONGEST hybrid coaster in the world at 5,740 feet and more!

https://www.cedarpoint.com/explore/steel-vengeance

Mean Streak officially converted to Hybrid coaster called Steel Vengeance which break 10 world records

the world’s FIRST hyper-hybrid coaster! Climb 205 feet over FrontierTown and then drop 200 feet STRAIGHT DOWN at 90 degrees as you reach speeds up to 74 mph!

Debuting in May of 2018, Steel Vengeance breaks 10 world records, including MOST AIRTIME on ANY roller coaster (almost 30 full seconds!), TALLEST hybrid roller coaster, FASTEST hybrid roller coaster, LONGEST hybrid coaster in the world at 5,740 feet and more!

As a promotion tie-in, Steel Vengeance has been added to Planet Coaster, the first real-world coaster officially added to the game.

the world’s FIRST hyper-hybrid coaster! Climb 205 feet over FrontierTown and then drop 200 feet STRAIGHT DOWN at 90 degrees as you reach speeds up to 74 mph!

Jesus Christ...that is intense.

The drool is pouring out of my mouth

Goldrusher

All 4 major announcements:

Cedar Point

Steel Vengeance
RMC hybrid

205 ft / 62 m tall
5740 ft / 1749 m long
74 mph / 119 kmh
90° drop
4 inversions

This Wild West thrill comes action-packed with a height of 205 feet above the prairie, a 90-degree initial drop down to the earth, almost 30 seconds of airtime (the most on any roller coaster on Earth), 4 head-over-boots inversions, ricocheting movements left-to-right, up-to-down and side to side...it's a roller coaster only Cedar Point could build – and you have the chance to saddle up and take the ride of your life beginning in 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ikwwja2Sc8

cp-steelvengeance-thumb.jpg

cp-2018cap-aerial-landingpage-bannerv2.jpg

Kings Dominion

Twisted Timbers
RMC hybrid

Twisted Timbers sits at the edge of Candy Apple Grove and gives riders a one-of-a-kind experience. Plummet down a 109-foot-tall barrel roll drop that sends you twisting across 3,351 feet of track with two more inversions and 20 airtime hills at speeds of 54 miles per hour. Hold on tight, because this is a ride with a twist... this is Twisted Timbers.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/explore/twisted-timbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqs_voKyFEo

kd-twistedtimbers-md-bannerv6.jpg

Silver Dollar City

Time Traveler
Mack Spinning Coaster

with a vertical drop, a launch and 3 inversions :eek:

The World's Fastest, Steepest and Tallest Complete-Circuit Spinning Roller Coaster

At an investment of $26 million, this is Silver Dollar City's Biggest Attraction EVER. We strive daily to continue that tradition through our rides, our festivals, our crafts and our food. That pursuit continues in 2018 with Time Traveler - a Revolutionary Coaster Ahead of Our Time."

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/timetraveler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6wSjDTL1M

key-art.jpg

Great America

RailBlazer
RMC Raptor

(mirror of Fiesta Texas' Wonder Woman, also opening in 2018)

RailBlazer will lift riders to a height of 106 feet before plunging them face down at a 90-degree angle. Throughout the 1,800 feet of track, riders will travel 52 miles per hour, experience an abundance of airtime and steeply banked turns, undertake three inversions and twist through a zero gravity roll.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/explore/railblazer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyke0pI4b98

ga-railblazer-landingpage-bannerv2.jpg

jtb

Banned
omg that mean streak redux looks fantastic (even if seems to stick pretty closely to the original's relatively dull track layout). I really hope it's the classic wooden coaster that Cedar Point needs... would be the final piece of the puzzle

omg that mean streak redux looks fantastic (even if seems to stick pretty closely to the original's relatively dull track layout). I really hope it's the classic wooden coaster that Cedar Point needs... would be the final piece of the puzzle

It's not a wooden coaster. The track is pure steel.

Cedar Point does need a good modern woodie, though.

This will most likely unset Maverick as my top coaster at CP, and probably sit nicely in the top 5 of the 150 different coasters I've been on.

Dyle

Oh man, Steel Vengeance looks fantastic, finally Cedar Point gets a respectable wood coaster. Too bad Cedar Fair can no longer give most of their coasters halfway decent names, the string of Rougarou, Valravn, and Steel Vengeance is godawful. Twisted Timbers is a step above Mystic Timbers although both are garbage tier names too. Railblazer is a good name though.

Time Traveler looks wild, the combination of launches, spinning, and inversions should make for a really wild ride

zeemumu

Shrek 4-D officially closed a few days ago. No word on when the revamp into Kung Fu Panda will be ready, but they're building something right next to it. I doubt it has anything to do with the attraction since they don't really need to add anything. Maybe another restaurant or store?

Also Saw was announced as a maze for HHN Hollywood.

aparisi2274

I have a feeling that all the Six Flags parks are going to get that single rail coaster system for next year... at least those are the rumors I've been hearing...

Goldrusher

And another one:

Knott's Berry Farm

Hangtime
Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster

https://www.knotts.com/explore/hangtime

(this ride replaces the Boomerang, which closed earlier this year)

HangTime will send riders up a vertical lift hill into a raised 96-degree drop - the steepest drop in California. The coaster's train will come to a halt once the highest peak is reached, and will leave riders suspended at the crest for several seconds at a 60-degree angle, giving the illusion of a disappearing track. Then the train will suddenly descend in a beyond-vertical drop, through 2,198 feet of steel track and five gravity-defying inversions. HangTime will be only the second rollercoaster in the Western Hemisphere to feature a negative-g stall loop, which gives riders the sensation of floating.

BHm8AVM.jpg

Top Bottom