• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are a lot of remakes being made - Is this a positive or negative for the industry?

Is the growing tendency towards remakes a positive or negative to you?

• Positive

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 43.2%
  • Neutral or no opinion

Votes: 50 23.5%

• Total voters

Raven117

As long as its not taking many assets away from the big time studios making new games...then...its fine. Not for me...but its fine.

Knightime_X

Aggressive? Please show me which part of that post was aggressive toward you. I'm listening. Stop being a softy.

You however omitted any argument entirely and went for misdirection and moving the goal post to gaslighting lol thats way more mean spirited :,(

anyway back on topic. Wanted to add that also, that another argument against resolution not being the reason for the delays is that some of those titles were actually more ambitious than titles coming out now so them being "sub HD" isnt the issue.

Now you can either retort that, or just say that I must be hurt or something. Not my style but maybe its yours. People usually do that when they have nothing to say anymore...
You're wanting objective answers to a subjective straw man argument.
If resolution was the only thing you had to increase...

Low resolution
wPp5jz8.png

Slightly higher resolution:
zjAVpmJ.jpg

Last edited:
You're wanting objective answers to a subjective straw man argument.
If resolution was the only thing you had to increase...

Low resolution
wPp5jz8.png

Slightly higher resolution:
zjAVpmJ.jpg
What? They are increasing way more than resolution in that comparison.

And once again, I dont see say..elden ring as entirely a more ambitious achievement than say...what the original mass effect was aiming to achieve at the time. Or more recently the witcher 3 which had ps4/xbone releases

Longer development times started around the end of 360/ps3 into ps4/xbone era. Which resolution was still 1080p. So resolutoon has little to do with it. It's business practices, expenses, and monetized gaming strategies prolonging life cycles i.e. GTA V and VAlve

Last edited:

Knightime_X

What? They are incressing way more than resolution in that comparison.

And once again, I dont see say..elden ring as entirely a more ambitious achievement than say...what the original mass effect was aiming to achieve at the time. Or more recently the witcher 3

Longer development times started around the end of 360/ps3 into ps4/xbone era. Which resolution was still 1080p. So resolutoon has little to do with it. It's business practices, expenses, and monetized gaming strategies.
There is definitely more to development time than resolution.
You said it yourself, but included monetization practices which most definitely isn't true for all games.

But what does any of that have to do with remakes and remasters as a whole?
Games you mentioned in 2007 were the product of technology moving forward.
There is nothing wrong with a company wanting to add new paint and even remodel old favorites with much more modern technology.

You might not like it, but that's a you problem.

Last edited:
There is definitely more to development time than resolution.
You said it yourself, but included monetization practices which most definitely isn't true for all games.

But what does any of that have to do with remakes and remasters as a whole?
Games you mentioned in 2007 were the product of technology moving forward.
There is nothing wrong with a company wanting to add new paint and even remodel old favorites with much more modern technology.

You might not like it, but that's a you problem.
I dont mind it when its not relied upon and were recieving a great output of ambitious titles.

I think mgs 3 for example is a fine candidate for a remake.

But it should be sideware in comparison to whats coming out. Not the case right now...

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Too many games are stuck on platforms where you can't get them, so remakes for those are a good thing.

Also, i doubt anyone working in remake would be working in GOTY contenders otherwise, so...

Knightime_X

I dont mind it when its not relied upon and were recieving a great output of ambitious titles.

I think mgs 3 for example is a fine candidate for a remake.

But it should be sideware in comparison to whats coming out. Not the case right now...
The development of Resident evil 4 remake didn't slow down the development of Resident Evil 8, Street Fighter 6, Monster Hunter, megaman 11, Devil May Cry 5 and onwards.

In many cases, remakes and remasters are not even done in house, or at the very least not always with the same team.
Companies like Capcom have multiple teams doing various projects.

Demon Souls remake had no impact on Elden Ring.
Demon Souls remake wasn't even done by From Software at all.

wolffy71

Banned
It's 100% a complete negative. The only reason people want to play these to any real extent is the lack of good titles. Even a good single player game that takes 12 hours to beat leaves a lot of time for other games and they just exist.

The development of Resident evil 4 remake didn't slow down the development of Resident Evil 8, Street Fighter 6, Monster Hunter, megaman 11, Devil May Cry 5 and onwards.

In many cases, remakes and remasters are not even done in house, or at the very least not always with the same team.
Companies like Capcom have multiple teams doing various projects.

Demon Souls remake had no impact on Elden Ring.
Demon Souls remake wasn't even done by From Software at all.
Well i mean Capcom is doing good in terms of output overall. Putting other devs to shame. More proof that its the developers rather than the technology itself.
Im speaking in terms of it's emphasis overall, I dont like the way naughty dog for example is doing things, i also dont think games from the ps3/360 gen need re-releases or even remakes right now.

Ps2/xbox/GC era is as recent as it should get. IMO. Ps3/360/ps4/xbox one games being remade feels redundant and like a cash grab.

Because unfortunately...ambition and gameplay itself hasnt drastically improved since those gens at all. Hence why tlou part 1 remake is mainly a graphical one, because otherwise gameplay systems havent evolved much since tlou.

You also have psnow, and gamepass if you want to plstrean or play older titles on your current box.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Well i mean Capcom is doing good in terms of output overall. Putting other devs to shame. More proof that its the developers rather than the technology itself.
Im speaking in terms of it's emphasis overall, I dont like the way naughty dog for example is doing things, i also dont think games from the ps3/360 gen need re-releases or even remakes right now.

Ps2/xbox/GC era is as recent as it should get. IMO. Ps3/360/ps4/xbox one games being remade feels redundant and like a cash grab.

Because unfortunately...ambition and gameplay itself hasnt drastically improved since those gens at all. Hence why tlou part 1 remake is mainly a graphical one, because otherwise gameplay systems havent evolved much since tlou.

You also have psnow, and gamepass if you want to plstrean or play older titles on your current box.
So in the case of Naughty Dog remaking a game like TLOU, that's an odd one.
In their defense, they probably wanted to really nail down their true vision of the game, and the ps4 slightly enhanced remaster didn't do it justice enough.
In my case, I never played TLOU or even its remaster so it's a win for me, and I can see how it would annoy those who have already played the game once or twice with both ps3 and ps4 versions.

Though, you can say that will all remasters\remakes.
Some take it a bit further than others.

As far as cash grabs go, you either take it or leave it.
You're not forced to buy anything and as much as you would like a new game from company X you just have to wait or do something else until they feel like doing something new.
Ooooooor become the CEO\Publisher and force them yourself.

Madflavor

It’ll become a problem if most of them become low effort, cash grabs. So far we’ve been lucky. A lot of these Remajes have been stellar. I think Silent Hill 2 Remake might break the winning streak we’ve been having.

So in the case of Naughty Dog remaking a game like TLOU, that's an odd one.
In their defense, they probably wanted to really nail down their true vision of the game, and the ps4 slightly enhanced remaster didn't do it justice enough.
In my case, I never played TLOU or even its remaster so it's a win for me, and I can see how it would annoy those who have already played the game once or twice with both ps3 and ps4 versions.

Though, you can say that will all remasters\remakes.
Some take it a bit further than others.

As far as cash grabs go, you either take it or leave it.
You're not forced to buy anything and as much as you would like a new game from company X you just have to wait or do something else until they feel like doing something new.
Ooooooor become the CEO\Publisher and force them yourself.
Or just acknowledge that gaming isnt as good as it was as far as output, and dont just consume whatever they put out because you still want to believe your hobby hasnt been infiltrated by a more capitalistic mindset.

I dont really buy these games, but that doesnt make anything better for me personally. Naughty Dog is still releasing those instead of new IP's for example, so it does still hurt me regardless.

Being vocal, and voting with your dollar would actually encourage more emphasis on new titles. But you have to compare to years like 2007 to have a standard on what you want to achieve.

Otherwise I'd rather retire and leave games to the 2000 kids who dont even know that gaming is lacking in outpit and ambition in tech.

Knightime_X

Or just acknowledge that gaming isnt as good as it was as far as output, and dont just consume whatever they put out because you still want to believe your hobby hasnt been infiltrated by a more capitalistic mindset.
The reduced output is fine, it's not like I have that much free time to play that many games anyways. There are multiple companies making games, so it's quite ok.
I dont really buy these games, but that doesnt make anything better for me personally. Naughty Dog is still releasing those instead of new IP's for example, so it does still hurt me regardless.
There are plenty of games out there, and more on the horizon.
Mountains of games readily available that you probably never even touched and have no clue what you're missing out on. Be it a small indie game or otherwise.
Being vocal, and voting with your dollar would actually encourage more emphasis on new titles. But you have to compare to years like 2007 to have a standard on what you want to achieve.
There will always be that one guy who constantly wants new games and nothing else.
Otherwise I'd rather retire and leave games to the 2000 kids who dont even know that gaming is lacking in outpit and ambition in tech.
Nothing is stopping you from doing so.
As someone who starting gaming in the 80's may I recommend playing Doom 2 on PC using zDoom and mods.
The game that keeps on giving.

Fbh

While I'm personally not much into remake (except for stuff like FF7R which is more like a reimagining), I think it's only a problem when it gets in the way of studios releasing new games.
Which so far isn't really the case. We still got RE8, Square is still releasing tons of new stuff, ND has factions comings, etc

Also in some cases the remakes are nice for preservation. Games like Nier were trapped on the Ps3/360 at terrible resolution and framerates, having a modern version of the game playable on current gen consoles is nice.

Negative outcome in a tough and changing industry chasing online service money.

I bought the original Dead Space at launch and enjoyed it. I liked the concept and feel of the original and would dearly love a new experience in the guise of the original since it went garbage quickly. I'm not moved to replay it or buy a remake though and I think it's good to update older titles for a newer generation. Even better would be a new ip to get the juices flowing.

Thing is Dead Space as obvious as it sounds was once new and fresh and exciting, hence why I bought it at launch. Assassins Creed new exciting and bold game only for next gen consoles on PS3/360, I bought that back in the day as well. Where is the new ip replacements? We also had Bioshock and Gears of War. God of War.

Even Kojima was referencing Gears of War when it launched, huge new ip that captured many. Gears 6, no thanks. God of War whatever number, no thanks. I want that feeling of buying the original God of War, a fresh exciting new ip I couldn't wait to play and feast on. Not that interested in Resident Evil 27 but christ what a great new ip it was from 1-4 as was.

Dead Space today is quite interesting, we get a remake and a one dimensional b copy when what really should be happening is a new ip or a new Dead Space experience yet I doubt the skills or money is there so it's reverse engineer the past.

It reminds me of classical architecture, a lost knowledge, appreciation and skill. What you get later is awful McMansions.

Naked Lunch

how many actual remakes can you think of that have come out in the past 3 years?
There's like, RE4 Remake, RE3 Remake, Dead space, TLOU Part 1, uh....... what else?
Really?
FFVII, Links Awakening, Tony Hawk, Demon Souls, Destroy all Humans, Yakuza 1 2, Nier, Raiden III and IV - I could go on and on.
Whats worse is all the upcoming remakes - the train is heading to overdrive.

The industry is creativly bankrupt - just remaking everything. Its a joke. If you werent around to play those in the first place - then fine - but otherwise - No, im not excited for it.

WoJ

My opinion on this has changed in the last couple of days to be honest. In general I've been lukewarm to negative on remasters/remakes. But the other day I was working through my NG+ playthrough of the Dead Space remake and decided to pop in on my the Dead Space 2008 save I last played which was early on in a NG+ playthrough. The difference between the games was jarring. I was blown away at how much better the remake looked and played. These were both on Series X BTW.

Then I fired up DS2, which I only played a couple years ago for the first time and while not as jarring as comparing the original DS to the remake it was a noticeable difference in quality. And that's to be expected since it's a 13 year old game. But I have largely thought the graphical difference between current gen and the PS360 era to not be that different.

So I don't know. I'm kind of in the middle but moving more towards thinking remakes can be good. Especially on older games. Like stuff from the PS1 era I am totally on board with remaking because of how far games have come technically. The PS2 and PS360 era are more of a gray era for me, but I think can be a net positive overall.

EDMIX

The industry is supposed to be making money so I don't see anything negative about this.

That's like trying to say if there's a negative thing about a rerun of a show airing.....

In regards to this exaggeration over remakes, I find that when you actually look at that number it's nowhere near as much as the new games that are actually releasing.

The fact that you had to pad the shit out of this list with remasters doesn't entirely help your point.

So I want you to take a look at Electronic Arts and Capcom look at the full list of games they released last generation...Are you sure that's something that's negatively impacting the industry? Lol

Only a small fraction of what EA or Capcom put out was a fucking remake to really act as if this is some industry shattering shit. In fact, so little remakes release, if we got NEW FUCKING GAMES at the same rate as remakes, you'd be fucking crying over getting so little releases.

Think clearly about this folks.

We got RE2 and RE3 remake last gen......sooooo if we just got 2 new games from Capcom, but shit zero remakes, that would be better or something?

kicker

Banned
Okay, EDMIX EDMIX since you seem to be talking to me, this is how it could be a negative: the trend of frequent remakes suggests a change in the expectations of publishers that might not be a positive for the industry.
How exactly?

There are two parties to a remake:
- The publisher who ordered it developed (it's almost always the publisher that wants them made)
- The players who want to play it (you, me, and everyone who would join us to get excited for the max payne remake trailer)

Remakes are not new, they've existed for decades now, but never in history have we had so many of the big publishers putting this much money into so many remakes in this short a time period.
"Why is this an issue? Everyone wants to play their favourite games, but even better" - it's because it suggests that publishers are at an all-time low in terms of confidence in new games that might lose them money

"You can't tell that just from more publishers producing more and more remakes" - sure, I can't. But that fact coupled with the facts that
- games cost more to develop than they ever have
- games take way longer to develop than they ever have
- the industry is still adapting to newer, far more lucrative streams of income than traditional gaming (gacha mechanics, live service cash shops, simple and cheap mobile gaming)
With all of the above, isn't the fact that publishers seem to be looking for immediately guaranteed sales a little worrying to you?

"We still get far more new games than remakes" - Of course, there will never be more remakes than new games. What a lot of remakes all at once suggests is the issue, not the remakes themselves. The trend behind the wave of remakes, not the remakes themselves.

"The developers want to make them, we want to play them, how can it be a negative for the industry" - I disagree that the developers want to make them. If you gave the average development team a choice between funding for a remake or funding for a new ip with whatever ideas they may have, which do you think they would pick. I believe the publishers decide what gets remade. Also, I believe if the developers were given the opportunity, they would remake the games that were poorly received also, as devs always give gdc talks about how they would have corrected some obvious mistakes if they could do it again.

"Remakes don't cost as much and don't take as long to develop" - They cost funding that could have been put to more smaller budget new games like hi-fi rush or sifu, or funding support studios to make bigger budget games come out fasted. And again, the remakes themselves are not the problem, the suggestion of the trend of a lot of remakes at once is.

"Just play indie games if you think the aaa scene is so afraid of innovation or new ips" - that's the equivalent of burying your head in the sand. There will always be indie games to play with far more exciting ideas than most aaa games, but the difference is the budget. I would like both my big budget experiences and my indie early access roundabouts to be equally great, fresh, exciting experiences.

The point is, I'm not saying gaming is dying tomorrow and remakes are somehow killing games. They just seem to suggest that the people who decide what big budget games get made don't really want to put too much into new ideas.
But, hey, at least we'll always have the console wars to push devs into making big budget games for their console overlord of choice.

The industry is supposed to be making money so I don't see anything negative about this.
You don't care *how* the industry makes its money, or what those trends suggest for the future of the industry?

The fact that you had to pad the shit out of this list with remasters doesn't entirely help your point.
I don't have a source for this, but I'd be willing to bet that we've seen far more remakes, remasters and reboots in the past 3 years than in the past entire decade of gaming, and we still have more of them on the way

Only a small fraction of what EA or Capcom put out was a fucking remake to really act as if this is some industry shattering shit. In fact, so little remakes release, if we got NEW FUCKING GAMES at the same rate as remakes, you'd be fucking crying over getting so little releases.
Nobody would be crying about remakes or even thinking about remakes if we kept getting fresh, good games all the time. We would be playing the NEW GAMES so much we wouldn'tbe thinking "man, I wish I could be playing a rezzed up version of that game I played 10 years ago instead".

Do you think when the original re4 came out in 2004 people were crying for a remake of re2 from 1998? No, they just played the new game because it was a new idea that pushed the industry into standardized 3rd person shooting

Think clearly about this folks.

We got RE2 and RE3 remake last gen......sooooo if we just got 2 new games from Capcom, but shit zero remakes, that would be better or something?
Yes. At least that way there's a chance you get another re 2005 moment, instead of just replaying older games

Last edited:

EDMIX

Not enough remakes are even made by publishers each generation to be crying this hard about this shit..... Look up how many games Sony put out last generation, Of all the games they put out only shadow of the colossus and medieval was remade

Look at how much game's Capcom put out last generation , I don't know what the fucking tell you or how to make this any clearer, Not enough of the thing you're complaining about is being made to pretend there's some slippery slope or dangerous turn where about to head into and regards to the overall industry. I mean shit, you are crying over the 2 or 3 remakes that get made by publishers that put out hundreds of games a generation?

You don't care *how* the industry makes its money, or what those trends

This isn't a moral fucking argument, how they are making money isn't illegal regarding remakes and remakes are not a "trend" as we've been getting them for generations.

I don't have a source for this, but I'd be willing to bet that we've seen far more remakes, remasters and reboots in the past 3 years than in the past entire decade of gaming

And? We've had more games that have released than any other time so of course we would see more remakes as time goes on because more series fucking exist to be remade you're arguing a moot point.

Nobody would be crying about remakes or even thinking about remakes if we kept getting fresh, good games all the tim
We have more new games that are releasing factually. Your opinion if you think those games are good or not has no relevance to any of this and clearly this new goal post is being made as you obviously understand we are not getting more fucking remakes then actual new games, now suddenly its about your feelings on "fresh" games lol

A remake not happening didn't mean the game that the studio makes instead was going to be good or "fresh" or any of that shit. A remake, remaster, new game, sequel, new IP etc all can be flops and trash.

I'm not sure why you thought that was an either or lol

Yes. At least that way there's a chance you get another re 2005 moment, instead of just replayin

The deep, deep lolz, my god I think you're gonna need to read that a bit more slowly my friend Capcom released more than 2 fucking new games last generation ....

the thing you're talking about is not an either or, we got 2 remakes of Resident Evil games we also got 2 brand new ones with 7 and 8 last gen.

So I don't know how you could understand this any better but the remake not existing does not mean a new game would magically exist in its place or that it would be fresh and good etc, as in we were not going to fucking get 4 brand new mainline Resident Evil games last generation if zero remakes existed or something lol

When you have Sony put out almost 100 games on PS4 and shit, 2 of em are remakes and you are crying over this, this sounds like a giant overreaction. A remake is way to generate funds sure, but all games are, consumers have no issues with them and they are amongst of the rarest releases in gaming and the amount of brand new titles being made, shows zero evidence that we would have had MORE if 2 fucking games didn't release.

Its not only absurd, no evidence exist to even remotely support this, unless you think Groove Street Games was going to make the greatest GTA game of all time and ohhhh shucks, we didn't get it cause a pesky remake =)

Fake

As much I like a proper remake, most of them or lack competence to make a new game or never have interess of respecting the source material.

Well, at least he sti have Japan devs to do games. Their art direction/imagination are top at this moment in comparison with west bs.

Gambit2483

Well ideally we should have games out that smoke the old ones. If the medium is progressing the way it should...

Gamers didnt want to even play gta 2 when GTA 3 was out. Mosy didnt really need to play half life 1 when half life 2 came out.

The progression was strong enough where the remake wasnt necessary.
I hear you and agree to an extent but I don't see why we can't have both.

It's not like they are remaking games like Turok or Manhunt.

Remaking decades old genre/generation defining games for a new audience/generation (while also making new games) can't possibly be a "bad" thing, imo at least

kicker

Banned
Well, I'll copy whatever applies to your points from my earlier posts, but I think I'll simplify where I think we differ:
My point: I think there have been a lot more remakes than usual releasing recently and I also think that suggests publishers are not very confident in newer games. I don't like that clear trend.
Your point: There is no trend of more remakes and even if there were, it says nothing on the state of the industry. You don't care about that imaginary trend.

Is that it?
If that's it, then nothing I can type will convince you
If you're actually trying to understand why I'm saying all this apparently random shit, then I'll try to explain again:
----------------------
Not enough remakes are even made by publishers each generation to be crying this hard about this shit..... Look up how many games Sony put out last generation, Of all the games they put out only shadow of the colossus and medieval was remade
This isn't about sony or a single publisher but all of them at once. But even if you wanted to use a single publisher as a metric, it still stands we have far more remakes these days then before. If you're going to use the fact that there were only 2 (out of 62 exclusive) "sony" remakes during the 7 years of the ps4, then wouldn't you say the 3 (out of 10 exclusive) sony remakes we've had just in the past 3 years so far (FFVIIR, Demons Souls and TLOU) of the ps5 suggests something? Maybe a trend of some sort?
----------------------------
Look at how much game's Capcom put out last generation , I don't know what the fucking tell you or how to make this any clearer, Not enough of the thing you're complaining about is being made to pretend there's some slippery slope or dangerous turn where about to head into and regards to the overall industry. I mean shit, you are crying over the 2 or 3 remakes that get made by publishers that put out hundreds of games a generation?
I am not suggesting publishers will stop putting out new games. I am suggesting they are less confident in them. Why? Because we are factually getting fewer aaa games than before while also recently getting more safe remakes than before.
--------------------------------
This isn't a moral fucking argument, how they are making money isn't illegal regarding remakes and remakes are not a "trend" as we've been getting them for generations.
You pointed out that the industry getting money is automatically a positive, I pointed out that the way it gets that money matters, meaning, for example, If they get all the money from mobile games sure they would still be getting money, but I don't think it would automatically be a positive. That was my point with the 'how' they get the money.
------------------------------
And? We've had more games that have released than any other time so of course we would see more remakes as time goes on because more series fucking exist to be remade you're arguing a moot point.
We. are. verifiably. not. having. more. games. releasing than ever.
There are fewer big budget games and more of them are remakes than ever before. When was the last time you looked forward to so many remakes at the same time?
-------------------------------
We have more new games that are releasing factually.... you obviously understand we are not getting more fucking remakes then actual new games, now suddenly its about your feelings on "fresh" games lol
I did not state any where that we are getting more remakes than new games. Not once in this entire thread. This was even in my first response to you:
"We still get far more new games than remakes" - Of course, there will never be more remakes than new games. What a lot of remakes all at once suggests is the issue, not the remakes themselves. The trend behind the wave of remakes, not the remakes themselves.
---------------------------

Your opinion if you think those games are good or not has no relevance to any of this and clearly this new goal post is being made ... now suddenly its about your feelings on "fresh" games lol
I will assume you only read the op (which is fair, and reply to that). The point in the op isn't that we are getting more remakes than new games, since I never said that. I said
The risk in developing new games is always higher than remaking an already popular game ... but what it means when developers are increasingly falling back on guaranteed sales is that they really want to follow the money with as little risk as possible.
how did you get "we're getting more new games than remakes" from that?

-----------------------------------
A remake not happening didn't mean the game that the studio makes instead was going to be good or "fresh" or any of that shit.
Of course not, but I would rather have Hi-Fi rush and Forspoken over the evil within remake and a final fantasy 15 remake. Even if one ends up shit and one ends up great. Do you see the point I'm trying to make?
A remake, remaster, new game, sequel, new IP etc all can be flops and trash.
Of course new doesn't automatically mean good, but I would much rather publishers take a chance than be constantly looking for how they can make as much money with the safest play. Like I said in the op, that's what's worrying, the trend of the remakes and what they suggest.

----------------------------------
The deep, deep lolz, my god I think you're gonna need to read that a bit more slowly my friend Capcom released more than 2 fucking new games last generation ....

the thing you're talking about is not an either or, we got 2 remakes of Resident Evil games we also got 2 brand new ones with 7 and 8 last gen.

So I don't know how you could understand this any better but the remake not existing does not mean a new game would magically exist in its place or that it would be fresh and good etc, as in we were not going to fucking get 4 brand new mainline Resident Evil games last generation if zero remakes existed or something lol
"Of course new doesn't automatically mean good, but I would much rather publishers take a chance than be constantly looking for how they can make as much money with the safest play. Like I said in the op, that's what's worrying, the trend of the remakes and what they suggest."
"Remakes don't cost as much and don't take as long to develop" - They cost funding that could have been put to more smaller budget new games like hi-fi rush or sifu, or funding support studios to make bigger budget games come out fasted. And again, the remakes themselves are not the problem, the suggestion of the trend of a lot of remakes at once is.
-------------------------------------------------

When you have Sony put out almost 100 games on PS4 and shit, 2 of em are remakes and you are crying over this, this sounds like a giant overreaction.
1. Why do you keep mentioning sony. They don't "put" anything out, they are one publisher (of many) who paid to publish 62 games (apparently) solely on the ps4. But let's use sony as an example: if we already have more remakes (with more incoming) in 3 years than the ps4 had, while also expecting the ps5 to have far fewer than 62 games at the end of the generation, what does that suggest? More big budget remakes are being made than ever before, no?
2. What's this crying talk about? I'm not the one carrying the ashes of his dead-by-his-own-hands diamond dogs on his face.
3. Is it an overreaction to say that I don't see the increasing pace of remakes as a positive for the industry?

------------------------------
A remake is way to generate funds sure, but all games are, consumers have no issues with them and they are amongst of the rarest releases in gaming and the amount of brand new titles being made, shows zero evidence that we would have had MORE if 2 fucking games didn't release.
"You can't tell that just from more publishers producing more and more remakes" - sure, I can't. But that fact coupled with the facts that
- games cost more to develop than they ever have
- games take way longer to develop than they ever have
- the industry is still adapting to newer, far more lucrative streams of income than traditional gaming (gacha mechanics, live service cash shops, simple and cheap mobile gaming)
With all of the above, isn't the fact that publishers seem to be looking for immediately guaranteed sales in remakes a little worrying to you?
--------------------

Its not only absurd, no evidence exist to even remotely support this, unless you think Groove Street Games was going to make the greatest GTA game of all time and ohhhh shucks, we didn't get it cause a pesky remake =)
No, gsg were asked to remake gta trilogy because rockstar probaly knew that gta 6 has taken too long and they realize they need more reliable ways to make money (gta online, more remakes) than the 10 YEARS AND COUNTING it takes to make a current gta game. I don't care about the gta trilogy, I care about rockstar maybe not being so confident in making GTA 7 or 8 after noticing that they need more reliable ways to make money than waiting a whole decade for that new GTA when they could just instead be updating GTA online like fortnite, apex, etc. That's what's worrying. What the trend suggests.

Don't fight the trend, man, it's coming for you

fart town usa

Gold Member
Most of them seem to be relatively meaty single player games.

I have no issue but I sometimes question the necessity of certain ones. It is what it is.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
then wouldn't you say the 3 (out of 10 exclusive) sony remakes we've had just in the past 3 years so far (FFVIIR, Demons Souls and TLOU) of the ps5 suggests something? Maybe a trend of some sort?
that still isnt enough to be anything major when they've also published Miles Morales, Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, Kena, Stray, Sifu, Rift Apart, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima in that time as well. 10 games comprising of sequels and new ip. 3 remakes. These are not a frequent industry wide trend, theres just a few more of them now bcz many publishers are testing the waters by reviving old ip these days.

Astral Dog

positive, people have a way to relive those timeless classics that shaped their childhood in a fresh look(and not like Disney/Hollywood today but actually conserving all that made those games good) , and people who never had the chance to play a title at the time can join the fun i mean how special is that Metroid Prime is being discovered by gamers right now?or that Resident Evil 2 and 4 have been launched again? And all are such high quality
images

Last edited:

Pelao

I only care that they are good games.
The best scenario is if they are remakes that reimagine the gameplay, as in the case of the Resident Evil remakes.
I don't care if the story is reused, as it is the least important element of a game, as long as the gameplay is different enough to make it a new game.
If it's mainly just graphical changes, then it better be to old games that ran poorly on their original platforms, and present an aesthetic update that justifies its existence, as in the case of the Bluepoint remakes.
In my opinion, the worst example of a recent remake is Last of Us, a game that doesn't change the gameplay and already had a remaster that ran in Ultra HD, HDR and 60 fps on PS5.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I prefer a good remake over modern GaaS crap.
Too few really good games are released these days, so filling the blanks with remakes of classics is good in my book.

Last edited:
I feel sometimes this is good for the industry. Like for devs to take a breath and refresh on new ideas. Hopefully in the next 10 years we will start seeing a new golden age.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If the remakes are good and respectful of the originals, then it’s better to have one such remake than a new game that costs a lot and fails at too many things.

The AAA industry has backed itself in a corner. The return of investment for many of those games requires the game to be an absolute masterpiece, and that’s too often not the case. Games released in an unpatched state also suffer from early impression bias, with people not buying at release and not returning to check a game after it’s been fixed because more stuff has released in the meantime.

With remasters and remakes you’ll always have a good number of people opening their wallet no questions asked. Look at the numbers of RE4 remake, a game that has been ported to slightly less systems than Doom and most people bought at least twice. That’s a safe bet for devs and publishers, and if the money goes into making new good stuff, it’s win-win for everyone.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think its a negative thing all things considered. I personally dont mind playing older games but more importantly studios arent innovating and trying new gameplay experiences, new stories etc by remaking older games.

kicker

Banned
The AAA industry has backed itself in a corner. The return of investment for many of those games requires the game to be an absolute masterpiece, and that’s too often not the case. Games released in an unpatched state also suffer from early impression bias, with people not buying at release and not returning to check a game after it’s been fixed because more stuff has released in the meantime.

With remasters and remakes you’ll always have a good number of people opening their wallet no questions asked. Look at the numbers of RE4 remake, a game that has been ported to slightly less systems than Doom and most people bought at least twice. That’s a safe bet for devs and publishers, and if the money goes into making new good stuff, it’s win-win for everyone.
As you said they're backed in a corner, they don't want to take the risk to develop new games as often as before.
You're saying at least we get remakes out of it, but to me it just looks grim.

Forspoken is the perfect example. Spemd so much on it, it takes so lomg to come out and then massively underperforms. If they suddenly asked that studio to just produce a remake instead, what are the chances we would ever get a forspoken 2 or a new ip from them? And what are the chances the publishers start looking to more guaranteed sources of income in gaming? That's where I see the negative.
I would like to believe it, but I really don't think the money they get by safe bets (remakes) will keep being put immediately into unsafe bets (sequel, new ip that takes 5 years to develop) if they're suddenly not in a betting mood (backed into a corner, in your words)

It's just a potential outlook for the industry, but it's worrying

I hear you and agree to an extent but I don't see why we can't have both.

It's not like they are remaking games like Turok or Manhunt.

Remaking decades old genre/generation defining games for a new audience/generation (while also making new games) can't possibly be a "bad" thing, imo at least
I agree. I think alot of the games that were remade or remastered barely needed it. Screamed more cash grab IMO looking at GTA V and Naughty Dog. Hell, why is deadspace getting a remake before so many classic ps2 games?

Recency bias...and its less work. Nothing should be remade from the ps3/360 era IMO. (Allthough a GTA IV or gears 2 ps5 remake would be cool)

Hell re4 was pushing it even for me for some reason, maybe because its original gameplay is borderline still too modern lol

Remake shenmue, turok, metal gear 3 etc

I had no issue with re2 or final fantasy 7. Because those really take work...

Really?
FFVII, Links Awakening, Tony Hawk, Demon Souls, Destroy all Humans, Yakuza 1 2, Nier, Raiden III and IV - I could go on and on.
Whats worse is all the upcoming remakes - the train is heading to overdrive.

The industry is creativly bankrupt - just remaking everything. Its a joke. If you werent around to play those in the first place - then fine - but otherwise - No, im not excited for it.
Alot of people dont want to say how old they are in these threads. I feel, personally it would make alot of peoples stances make more sense. In this particular case if you are in this thread and you are sub 23 yrs old....you're input on this is affected by that.

Like...you were 4 when re4 came out...4 when half life 2 came out...and you probably werent able to process what was a good game until what...11-13 years old? And even then you're still immature about it. When they were 13 bioshock was already 5 years old to them lol crazy.

Normally thats natural right? Normal shit, but problem is that unlike our parents who came before us, gaming hasnt progressed much since then in creativity, complexity, or from an ambition standpoint. In fact they've lowered.

Theres only a few devs that actually try and have the resources to push the envelope. So younger gamers actually think right now
...is dope lol

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I understand people wanting new games, but look at it this way: there’s plenty of excellent games stuck in a technological past that a lot of people can’t be bothered or convinced to go back to, no matter how good the experience is. Even self-professed hardcore gamers won’t go back to the tech we had 10 years ago, while anyone can pick up a movie from 40 years ago or a book from 100 years ago and enjoy it. Remasters and remakes are a necessary evil of a medium that’s inextricably tied to the tech of the time.

Quite hypocritical of most gamers to shit on remakes considering maybe 0.001% of people prefer REmake to the original RE, too. Somehow that one was never a problem, and it came out 6 years after the original, not 20.

Top Bottom