• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are currently no concrete plans for FFXV for Nintendo Switch.

Jubenhimer

Never really expected the game to come either way. Even if down-scaled, it looks a bit too much for the Switch to handle. And plus, trying to port the whole game over to Unreal Engine 4, then port that to a console less powerful than the Xbox One would be expensive, time consuming, and needlessly complicated on Square Enix's part.

I'd still say a Switch exclusive spin-off using a few assets ported to Unreal 4, but with all new content that's better suited to the Switch hardware would be the better route for Square Enix to take.

EDarkness

So you think it's a Dragon Quest XI on NX sort of deal.

Yep. I could understand if this was started with some rumor that didn't really have a source and they were being cagy about it, but this started with him in front of an audience. We wouldn't even be thinking about this if he wouldn't have started the discussion on Twitch.

Malyse

If the Switch does gangbusters this holiday and third parties can actually move their games (aka if Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 and Octopath sell crazy above SE expectations), then they'll get FF15 on Switch and jump through whatever hurdles necessary. The capabilities of the Switch literally have fuck all to do with them porting the game. If they want to get FF15 on Switch or rather, if they think they can sell enough copies of FF15 on Switch to offset the cost (or if Nintendo pitches in to help pay for it) then it's happening.

It's really that simple. If cost to port < probable profits made, then port happens.

People always seem to forget that video games are first and foremost a business.

I think they are indeed looking into it, seeing how much work it would be to port the game over. There are no “plans”, because if they say there are plans people will expect the game and may not purchase other versions, and it may never done to be. But if they are even working on a mobile version of the game, there’s no way they aren’t looking into a Switch Version for that much more potential audience.

Malyse

I'd rather they get KH3 working on the Switch instead.

The other thing that people always seem to forget is that SE has multiple teams and that the FFXV team has literally no impact on the KH3 team. I don't think they are even in the same city.

If the Switch does gangbusters this holiday and third parties can actually move their games (aka if Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 and Octopath sell crazy above SE expectations), then they'll get FF15 on Switch and jump through whatever hurdles necessary. The capabilities of the Switch literally have fuck all to do with them porting the game. If they want to get FF15 on Switch or rather, if they think they can sell enough copies of FF15 on Switch to offset the cost (or if Nintendo pitches in to help pay for it) then it's happening.

It's really that simple. If cost to port < probable profits made, then port happens.

People always seem to forget that video games are first and foremost a business.
That’s now how this works, but ok.

Willpower alone can not overcome hardware hurdles.

Lest we forget Doom was a 60fps game on PS4/XB1 and is coming over at 30fps w/ significantly reduced fidelity - what would a port of a 30fps game look like? 360p? 15fps?

You're severely downplaying hardware capabilities. Regardless of how much they think it will sell, SE will not spend huge resource to port a game that will end up being below the kind of quality they deem acceptable for said game.

Malyse

That’s now how this works, but ok.

Willpower alone can not overcome hardware hurdles.

Lest we forget Doom was a 60fps game on PS4/XB1 and is coming over at 30fps w/ significantly reduced fidelity - what would a port of a 30fps game look like? 360p? 15fps?

You're severely downplaying hardware capabilities. Regardless of how much they think it will sell, SE will not spend huge resource to port a game that will end up being below the kind of quality they deem acceptable for said game.

unnamed__5_.0.jpg

But please, continue on about how they would never down port to hit the Switch's specs.

unnamed__5_.0.jpg

But please, continue on about how they would never down port to hit the Switch's specs.

Weak. Using a cheaply made mobile version of the game as an example of why they will port the game to Switch just doesn't hold up. If they cannot port the game to an acceptable level of quality, which is entirely possible, then they will not port it.

Instead they will look to bring other games to the system. Games that don't have the baggage of Luminous Engine, for example.

Like I said twice before now, at the very least they should try and ensure that Kingdom Hearts III can be ported down for Switch.

THE GUY

Banned
They should try to get it on there if they can. I'm sure they could sell another 1-2 million copies pretty easily considering there's like five interesting games on the console in the first place. More publishers should be taking advantage of that.

There's so many options for people to play FF15 already

I vastly prefer catered experiences like Octopath coming to Switch instead of watered down ports

I'm not knocking anyone who wants this, just my opinion

Not surprising. It'd be a ton of effort for what would likely be a tiny return on investment (or maybe no return on investment). Porting Luminous and FFXV to switch or porting FFXV to Unreal -- both seem like daunting, expensive tasks.

Better Investment would be more DLC and finally releasing the PC Version.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly this is good news. While FFXV is a great game I'd rather SE focus on future projects for the Switch. They're excited about the platform and I'm excited to see what they bring.

EDarkness

Weak. Using a cheaply made mobile version of the game as an example of why they will port the game to Switch just doesn't hold up. If they cannot port the game to an acceptable level of quality, which is entirely possible, then they will not port it.

Instead they will look to bring other games to the system. Games that don't have the baggage of Luminous Engine, for example.

Like I said twice before now, at the very least they should try and ensure that Kingdom Hearts III can be ported down for Switch.

I don't know, man. There should be no doubt that FFXV is coming to the NS in some fashion. He wouldn't have started this mess if that wasn't the case.

Looks like this Rollercoaster may have come to an end.

https://s.famitsu.com/news/201709/24142632.html

From what I've gathered from Google Translate, it seems that Tabata and crew were just doing testing on whether the Luminous Engine or the Unreal Engine 4 would be a better fit to use for the Switch, but that somehow got translated as FFXV coming to Nintendo Switch.

In this article he says that there are currently no plans for FFXV on Switch.

He did say that UE4 performed well so there may be hope for other games from Square.

This news doesn't cancel out what was said before. They can still analyze and do tests with FFXV on Switch and still state that there are no plans (at the moment.) I doubt this is the end of this, but I still would doubt we will get FFXV for the original version of Switch due to the how much that they have to get done.

Due to KH3 and FFVII still being in development and utilizing UE4, those games definitely have a higher chance on getting to the Switch in some form.

Not surprising. It'd be a ton of effort for what would likely be a tiny return on investment (or maybe no return on investment). Porting Luminous and FFXV to switch or porting FFXV to Unreal -- both seem like daunting, expensive tasks.

Better Investment would be more DLC and finally releasing the PC Version.
Why would it take a lot of effort? What exactly is it about Luminous Engine that would be a daunting, expensive task to port to the Switch?

We're just starting to see reality slip through for what is possible On Switch. If you can half the frame rate and downgrade the resolution, then on a well optimised engine you can. Otherwise the chances are much much slimmer.
I don't think there was much of a question that they will be compromises with porting a game down to the Switch. I thought the biggest arguments was:

1) is it possible without gutting and remaking the game? (Current answer: Mostly yes. Games with the Luminous Engine seems to the only documented exception to the rule so far. )

2) Will any third party company feel that it is worth the effort to port it. (Current answer: Probably not for most cases, but there have already been surprises this year.)

Why would it take a lot of effort? What exactly is it about Luminous Engine that would be a daunting, expensive task to port to the Switch?

The game with the Luminous Engine does not seem to easily work with the other current gen systems. It is. As enough in that there is/was talks about porting the game to UE4 instead.

Switch struggles to handle Breath of the Wild already. What makes you think it can handle Luminous?

BOTW shouldn't be used like this due to several reasons that I don't feel like listing at this time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
A 30fps PS4 game of this complexity is not going to just scale down to the Switch, by simply turning the fidelity sliders to the minimum.

The capabilities of the Switch literally have fuck all to do with them porting the game.

You need a hopium intervention.

There's been a few topics of reason and statements about a possible/impossible version for the Switch since the Twitch stream that I no longer care about this game coming or not to the Switch. This went from a almost definite day one on the Switch to a they're going to have to sell me this on the Switch because of this back and forth PR BS.

Cathcart

Can’t really say I’ve ever been happy to hear that a game wasn’t being released for a console but yeah this really does it for me. FFXV was a real pile of garbage.

Azuran

Banned
Tabata could literally take a piss on a Switch and there would still be people saying there's a chance FFXV could end up on the system.

People thought ffxv was coming to switch because they said they were looking into how it would run on Switch using UE4?

If it was actually coming we'd get a proper announcement not just some quote that has to be translated. It was fairly nothing news back then and it's fairly nothing news now. FFXV on Switch is very much just a wait and see kind of deal.

EDarkness

Tabata could literally take a piss on a Switch and there would still be people saying there's a chance FFXV could end up on the system.

What are you talking about? This whole damn discussion started with him teasing the game for the system a few weeks back. Before then no one was even talking about it.

Not to say that it is coming

But dq11 was announced for nx

Then it wasn't announced for nx

Then it was announced for switch

Clearly SE is very seriously considering ways to port ff15 going forward. We have mobile/tablet exclusive versions in the works and talks of porting the game to ue4. Feels like it could go either way with Switch getting the big version of ff15 down the road. If I had to bet money I'd say it'll come eventually.

conpfreak

Switch struggles to handle Breath of the Wild already. What makes you think it can handle Luminous?

*rolls eyes* The PS4/Xbox One struggled with Just Cause 3 too. Doesn't mean that there aren't significantly better looking games with just as much going to that run near a locked 30fps.

Anyway, FFXV can be ported to Switch with downgrades. If you played FFXV, you'd know that there isn't TOO much going beyond the the draw distance, character models, and lighting. BotW physics are more impressive than any dynamic non scripted event I've seen in FFXV.

The issue is whether that's the best approach to FFXV being on the platform. IMO, it's not and their better served doing a spinoff in UE4 with similar graphical fidelity and work from there. Therefore they don't have to exactly mirror graphical assets meant for much more powerful consoles, but achieve a very similar look. If they were using a more scalable engine I would say it would be worth the port but not on Luminous, as it struggles on the base PS4 an Xbox One.

They've got plenty of plot holes to fill and a spinoff would be a great place to start. There is very likely to be a Switch revision out in two years to to Nintendo's access to NVIDIA's Tegra chips, so they could wait until then and take advantage of the extra power that introduces if that happens in time

I don't understand why publishers allow talk like this if the don't have any concrete plans. Like why hint at FF15 Switch in that stream then flip flop everywhere to say you have no plans. Why not a definitive yes or a definitive no?

Top Bottom