• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are currently no concrete plans for FFXV for Nintendo Switch.

I don't understand why publishers allow talk like this if the don't have any concrete plans. Like why hint at FF15 Switch in that stream then flip flop everywhere to say you have no plans. Why not a definitive yes or a definitive no?

Double edged sword, you want to be close to your fan base and try and have a direct line of communication, but sometimes you get stuff like this too.

Tabata's bluntness has been refreshing at times and if you ask journalists they love interviewing him because he doesnt give typical PR answers, but its also hurt them. You can see a direct line between Tabata's promised cutscene patches and the review scores going down after that statement. Alot of people forget that XV was sitting on an 86 metacritic after the first 30 something reviews, it went all the way down to 81 after he talked about patching in cut scenes.

Double edged sword, you want to be close to your fan base and try and have a direct line of communication, but sometimes you get stuff like this too.

Hinting at FF15 on the Switch without having actual plans to bring FF15 to the switch is not anything but dumb. If you don't have plans say you don't. If you aren't sure just say nothing. You can communicate with people without straight saying dumb shit.

BigEmil

Anything with UE4 is guaranteed no doubt

UE4 is more optimised for Nvidia architectures (which is present in Switch hardware) than Amd architecture

KyleCross

Gotta love how Switch owners were excited with the rumor of it coming to Switch but now that it isn't they're all "Game is trash, I didn't want it anyway." Like, c'mon.

Auron

In my opinion it is coming and he just wasn't supposed to say anything. Between the "Rhymes with Twitch" and discussing the possible deal with Epic there is just too much smoke. Same with Dragon Quest XI.

1182zcO.png

OmegaDL50

That's now how this works, but ok.

Willpower alone can not overcome hardware hurdles.

Lest we forget Doom was a 60fps game on PS4/XB1 and is coming over at 30fps w/ significantly reduced fidelity - what would a port of a 30fps game look like? 360p? 15fps?

Some developers intentionally set a frame target with the emphasis on focusing on graphical fidelity. On the Pro there are two options a unlocked framerate 60FPS mode at 1080p and a 30fps mode at 1800p.

Do you not think Square would not lower the assets of the game accordingly to get it run on Switch if they intended to develop for it.

It's NOT a case of because it's 60fps on PS4 it must be 30fps on Switch. It does not work that way, that was the case then Skyrim for Switch which is based on the SE version would have been an impossibility.

OmegaDL50

World of Final Fantasy feels like a perfect fit.

Now this is something I can get behind. For a Switch version. It would be probably be closer to the PS4 version rather than the Vita release at least.

I think it's best to wait for the release of DQXI and Octopath Traveller to see what future support SE is going to provide to the Switch though.

Although now that I think about it, because of the recent DOOM and Wolfenstein II announcement, this might lead to some more credibility against the notion that some folks think that the console version of DQXI would be an impossible endeavour on the Switch.

zelas

I don't understand why publishers allow talk like this if the don't have any concrete plans. Like why hint at FF15 Switch in that stream then flip flop everywhere to say you have no plans. Why not a definitive yes or a definitive no?

If Nintendo only fans would get off these publishers' asses then it wouldn't be an issue. They don't give them a chance to figure out the technical and business side of things and end up reacting in the extreme one way or the other when nothing statements are put out. You can't say SE isn't trying. The extreme reactions should be pointed at the people who designed the hardware, not the publishers you're asking (and need) to adapt their business.

-Horizon-

Gotta love how Switch owners were excited with the rumor of it coming to Switch but now that it isn't they're all "Game is trash, I didn't want it anyway." Like, c'mon.
Other people, maybe. I can't speak for them.
Me? Nope, game was and still is bad since I finished it.
It would've just been bad on the go if it was on switch lol

OmegaDL50

There are some folks who own a Switch that may not have played the game were interested in actually trying the game. It's probably convenient to ignore the Switch owners who may be genuinely interested in the game and lump the dissenting opinions in regards to FFXV all under the same umbrella.

Have you actually stepped into any FFXV thread lately. It certainly isn't Nintendo fans slamming the game when it comes to issues of the games inconsistent story among other things, but hey say whatever you want to push that rhetoric saying it's just Nintendo fans being against the game just because they may or may not get it.

The game with the Luminous Engine does not seem to easily work with the other current gen systems. It is. As enough in that there is/was talks about porting the game to UE4 instead.
Being a difficult engine to make their game in, less easy than a mainstream engine like UE4, really has little to do with porting ease. To my knowledge Switch has all of the graphical capabilities as Xbox One (same shader-level feature support), so that shouldn’t pose a problem. Memory is the biggest issue, where Switch has 3GB available to developers, Xbox One has 5GB, but we don’t really know what the game’s memory requirements are.

Isn't it 900p for Xbox one?

Dynamic res that sticks to 720p for a good amount of time. The iq on the xb1 version was truly horrendous.

Being a difficult engine to make their game in, less easy than a mainstream engine like UE4, really has little to do with porting ease. To my knowledge Switch has all of the graphical capabilities as Xbox One (same shader-level feature support), so that shouldn’t pose a problem. Memory is the biggest issue, where Switch has 3GB available to developers, Xbox One has 5GB, but we don’t really know what the game’s memory requirements are.

Iirc they were hitting memory limits in duscae where they had to cut some animations to add others.
I suspect the storage to be another big problem. Unlike doom, you can ship this game split in half. Multiplayer included its already 80+gb on consoles and theres 1 dlc set arrive in December. Not to mention the mp size is just for the beta so expect the game to cross 100gb by the end of the year.
This excludes all the story stuff theyll be adding soon and another year's worth of dlc that theyll announce in november. When all i s said and done the game will be close to pushing 150ish gb on consoles.
So assuming they target the end of next year for the switch or later, fitting the entire thing will require you to have a fairly empty 128gb card at least.

Top Bottom