• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are eight gaming persona's - which one is you?

What persona are you?

• Ultimate gamer

Votes: 37 22.4%
  • All round enthusiast

Votes: 34 20.6%
  • Cloud gamer

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Conventional player

Votes: 77 46.7%
  • Hardware enthusiast

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Popcorn gamer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Backseat viewer

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Time Filler

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Newzoo

Slide1.png

Details on the eight persona's here: https://resources.newzoo.com/hubfs/Newzoo_Gamer_Segmentation.pdf

Image_2_Ranking_of_the_Eight_Personas_Among_Men_and_Women.png

Quiz here (halfway down page): https://newzoo.com/insights/article...ed-how-women-and-men-alike-engage-with-games/

Ivellios

From these options, id say im a conventional gamer.

Im sure the poll results here will be very different from the OP, since Neogaf is a enthusiast forum.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

After taking the test, I turned out to be a conventional gamer, and the website called me "old". Something about being an average gamer from 10 years ago. Ha ha. (Which is true, but still funny.)

I am surprised that I am the least common type of gamer. Only 4% ?

Reactions: TLZ

stickkidsam

I feel like "The conventional player" who wants to make time to be an "Ultimate Gamer". Gotta learn to spend my money better though so I can use it on things that I enjoy in the long term instead of food, booze, and dank weed.

bati

What a weird classification. I guess I'm closest to conventional gamer, except I only own a PC. I also tend to go balls deep into my favourite genres and I tend to minmax most games I play, or play on Ironman if it's available. However, RL obligations take precedence and my play times are not the longest these days, which I guess makes me a casual hardcore? I also don't get Twitch and never will. Why the fuck would I spend what precious little free time I have watching some asshole with fake persona play games.

I guess I'm a backseat viewer. I tend to not really be interested in games till I watch others play it so without that dynamic I would probably not play many games at all anymore.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The quiz is shit, though of the types available it still picked the one I match best (conventional player). Why is the quiz shit?

Which of the following statements applies most to your gaming habits?

Gaming is an important part of my life and I spend a large amount of my spare time gaming. I enjoy immersive action-packed games the most and like to play online against or with others.
I play games regularly, favoring immersive games. I do not spend great lengths of time gaming and do not spend a large amount of money on it. However, if I would have more spare time I would probably spend more time and possibly money on games.
Although I enjoy games, my time spent or interest in them is limited. I mainly play games to pass the time and don’t invest a lot of money in them.

None apply at all

My interest in game video content and time spent watching it is limited. I mostly watch to kill time, watch it when other people are watching, or when I am not able to play games myself.
I enjoy watching game video content and regularly watch, even though I don’t watch it in great lengths. I have some connection with the people or (esports) team I watch, but do not specifically follow them.
Watching game video content is an important part of my lifestyle and I spend a significant part of my spare time watching gaming-related videos or streams. I would consider myself a fan of one or multiple of the people or (esports) teams I watch.

None apply at all

What kind of game content do you watch (e.g. on Twitch, YouTube or Facebook)? Please select all that apply.

Other players playing games
Let’s Plays or walkthroughs
Gaming reviews
Tips and tricks for games
Esports content (e.g. events, tournaments, and leagues)

One answer is required, I watch none.

Which of the following statements applies most to you regarding gaming hardware (including devices, components, and peripheral products)?

The hardware I buy is not specifically made for gaming or sold as gaming hardware. Hardware in general does not play a big role in my overall gaming experience.
Although hardware is important to my gaming experience, I only spend money on hardware when I feel it will significantly improve my gaming experience or is required to play a certain game.
Hardware is an essential part of my gaming experience. I frequently spend money on upgrading my gaming set-up to have the best gaming hardware available.

None apply, I only buy hardware when a game I want is not available on the hardware I have.

Kadayi

Banned
Enthusiast gamer. I like to try out a lot of different things and have a general passion for the medium but I'm not hardware obsessed.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Where the hell is retro gamer

Or, where do I fit on the chart when my past 2 weeks of gaming were primarily short sessions of modded GBA versions of Doom I & II running on a Game Boy Advance SP via flashcart?

EDIT: this patch for Doom II is the one I recommend, makes the GBA version pretty decent to play

EDIT2: I'm not taking their marketing survey

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yes put people in boxes yes that will work

UACCOHPBT+

in short for all 9

there is only one kind of gamer.

a gamer

cringe

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm apparently an Ultimate Gamer, but that's probably due solely to Overwatch League jacking up the watching videogames metrics. OWL is basically the only thing I watch; I am about as disinterested as you can get in youtube personalities, let's plays, etc.

I guess these days I'm somewhere in the space in between "The Ultimate Gamer" and "The Conventional Player" with a splash of The Hardware Enthusiast (although that doesn't only apply to gaming for me - I'm a huge tech geek). I definitely used to be 100% the ultimate gamer, but now I'm leaning much more towards the conventional.

A little disheartening (although not surprising) that the "The Cloud Gamer" is first amongst males and second amongst females in the original source. We're all a dying breed here folks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
conventional covers it. i don't watch others play games much outside of some review channels & people like Dunkey. i own lots of hardware and love playing on different systems, but i don't necessarily have to have the latest and greatest.

bottom row is, outside of the hardware nut, like, spectators, people that never play baseball but go to games, i guess? or social media personalities/journalists lol.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Pretty stupid quiz. I play a lot, watch a ton and have spent a lot on games this year already (2k+ €, no ingame-garbage or subscriptions or whatever, just pure games), yet I'm a "Cloud Gamer". Only the hardware part applies because I haven't bought anything really in the past three years.

Top Bottom