• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are more Epic Store exclusives coming over the next 2 years than have released so far

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There haven't been many Epic Store exclusivity announcements recently, which got me wondering if Epic might be winding down that part of its strategy. Nope. According to Epic, the opposite is the case.

"We have more exclusives coming in the next two years than we have published to date," a company representative told PC Gamer when asked about its exclusivity strategy for the near future.

Kagey K

Banned
They seem to have made a lot of inroads with PC players in the last year, so you can’t blame them for continuing to do that.

How else are they going pull players away from Steam?

Still don't understand why people hate a launcher. I know that exclusivity on PC is basically what the platform stands against but it's usually timed anyway so just wait for Steam release if it bothers you that much.

Kagey K

Banned
Still don't understand why people hate a launcher. I know that exclusivity on PC is basically what the platform stands against but it's usually timed anyway so just wait for Steam release if it bothers you that much.
It’s like console wars, but you fighting against a console you already own.

Steam vs EGS is like PS vs Xbox, but you don’t have to buy extra hardware, and hate the hardware you already own.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

You're funny.

Anyway, fuck this exclusivity shit, it's bad enough on consoles but tenfold worse on an supposedly open platform.

Last edited:
You're funny.

Anyway, fuck this exclusivity shit, it's bad enough on consoles but tenfold worse on an supposedly open platform.
Idk man. If I want to play WoW, I need its launcher. If I want to play LoL, I need its launcher. And so on and so on. This has been kinda standard on PC since forever. It's not that big of a deal.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Idk man. If I want to play WoW, I need its launcher. If I want to play LoL, I need its launcher. And so on and so on. This has been kinda standard on PC since forever. It's not that big of a deal.
I agree. It's a bit of a hassle for someone who prefers Steam or just doesn't want to install multiple launchers, but it doesn't seem like that big of an issue to not play a game you're hyped for.

Plus, Epic gives tons of free games + a bigger cut to developers + IP ownership to devs in many scenarios. I don't get the hate.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, that's fine, but now you switched from an admitted general consensus to an personal opinion (both valid btw). Everything is not a big deal if you take a few steps back and zoom out - Even the things you care about in your biome. Not knowing which launcher to start for each game may not be a big deal in some scenarios, but it's still shitty usability in 2021 and not particularly consumer- and price friendly either. Creating artificial silos is not in the wholesome spirit of what makes the PC platform great.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Good. The less games for me to buy, the more money will be saved each individual year to buy something else.

Also, those who opt for "Epic", cleadly don't have confidence in what they're making and for it to be succesfull, that's all there is to it. Getting money now is more important, so it's all about making money first and worry about the game's wider success among people later. Hell, some of those so called exclusives are not even worth playing, let alone waiting for them additiional year, they're just mediocre or meh at best and soon will end up being Game Pass / PS+ games anyway.

You "still don't understand" or do you pretend to not understand the absolute shitshow that the Epic exclusives program really is? There are a million plus people on reddit/GAF/twitter/facebook/ every community you go, explaining this to people like you in the past (you= people like you who think "it's just another launcher", not you alone) what enormous damage this does to the platform, and you people still post this SAME one liner in every argument against Epic exclusivity? Take your time, and at least google it once maybe? Takes less than 5 seconds.

If you haven't noticed yet (or once again, pretend to not notice), WoW, Overwatch and Diablo (the older Diablo games are even on GOG, but just for argument's sake let's continue your vision) are owned by Blizzard. Just like Half-Life, Left 4 Dead and DoTA are owned by Valve. See any similarities or con-incidence? Hmm?

Shenmue 3, Samurai Shodown, Borderlands 3, Hitman 3 etc, are not owned by Epic Games.

I'm pretty sure 2 or 3 months from now, you will be posting this SAME "Still don't understand" rhetoric and feigning ignorance about this practice in another thread.

You "still don't understand" or do you pretend to not understand the absolute shitshow that the Epic exclusives program really is? There are a million plus people on reddit/GAF/twitter/facebook/ every community you go, explaining this to people like you in the past (you= people like you who think "it's just another launcher", not you alone) what enormous damage this does to the platform, and you people still post this SAME one liner in every argument against Epic exclusivity? Take your time, and at least google it once maybe? Takes less than 5 seconds.

If you haven't noticed yet (or once again, pretend to not notice), WoW, Overwatch and Diablo (the older Diablo games are even on GOG, but just for argument's sake let's continue your vision) are owned by Blizzard. Just like Half-Life, Left 4 Dead and DoTA are owned by Valve. See any similarities or con-incidence? Hmm?

Shenmue 3, Samurai Shodown, Borderlands 3, Hitman 3 etc, are not owned by Epic Games.

I'm pretty sure 2 or 3 months from now, you will be posting this SAME "Still don't understand" rhetoric and feigning ignorance about this practice in another thread.
You are mistaken, I know what the problem is. It's just not a big deal to me personally.

You are mistaken, I know what the problem is. It's just not a big deal to me personally.

If you know what the problem is, why do you (I'm generalizing here, so not just you, but people like you who do this on a regular basis) post that you "still don't understand" in threads related to epic exclusivity, when someone who's voicing their opinion against it?

It has legitimate reasons why it's an absolutely egregious practice that is slowly killing the platform.

If your answer is going to be "it's not a big deal to be personally", do you fully understand why people are against this or still think it's because people don't like to double click another .exe file on their PC's?

If you know what the problem is, why do you (I'm generalizing here, so not just you, but people like you who do this on a regular basis) post that you "still don't understand" in threads related to epic exclusivity, when someone who's voicing their opinion against it?

It has legitimate reasons why it's an absolutely egregious practice that is slowly killing the platform.

If your answer is going to be "it's not a big deal to be personally", do you fully understand why people are against this or still think it's because people don't like to double click another .exe file on their PC's?
I understand the problem, what I don't understand is the amount of outrage this problem generates. I also don't see how it's killing the platform.

martino

Fine...maybe with enought exclusives and games funded valve will move at some point and it will get us something else than ftp with loot system and mtx....

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
They seem to have made a lot of inroads with PC players in the last year, so you can’t blame them for continuing to do that.

How else are they going pull players away from Steam?
Joke post?

Their numbers are terrible they havent made inroads at all

Philfrag

Banned
I never truly fell on one side of the argument until I realised how badly having the epic launcher opened affected performance. My first run through of red dead 2 on steam was a stuttering mess until a year after I finished it when I heard having the epic launcher open can cause this. I’m now replaying red dead 2 and having a way better experience since knowing to always close this garbage launcher. Another game that was affected by this was breakpoint, for ages I was experiencing slight stutters that drove me crazy. Turn off the epic launcher, no longer an issue. It’s crazy that this is a thing. I wouldn’t care for exclusivities if the platforms competing are actually competing. The epic store though, is a joke. I couldn’t believe my eyes how bare bones the store pages for each title was either. There’s barely anything on them that exhibits what product your buying.

I’ll take the free games though....thanks Tim

Interfectum

If you rely on any of Steam's features, EGS becomes a needless headache to navigate around. I use Steam Link all the time. I played almost the entire Hitman 2 game over it. Now Hitman 3 is off of Steam, so no easy way for me to remote play, no Steam friends competitions (contracts, achievements, etc) and other shit.

Is it a deal breaker? No. Can I find workarounds? Sure. But the point for me is my gaming life is disrupted because Epic is trying to force me to use their shit and they don't even have 1/10th of the feature parity of Steam. It's frustrating as hell.

Kenpachii

And how is it slowly killing the PC platform?

Spitfire098

I bought a couple games on epic last year because they came there first. Don't really regret it since I also use gog and ubisoft connect.

Skifi28

They keep paying for exclusives and giving away free games while people don't really seem to buy from the store. I wonder how long they can keep it up.

Sentenza

Store exclusives are great because they actually do foster price competition, unlike console exclusives.
Uh. No, they don't.
That's exactly why they are exclusives: because they are only available from one source so there are not competing prices on the same product.

Anyway, at this point I genuinely stopped caring. It was annoying the first time, but then it turned out that one year flies by and you won't even notice it. And sometime in the end you are just saved from a compulsory purchase you were going to regret later.

Still amusing to see that coprophagy is going strong and there are people actually cheering for them on this very forum.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Uh. No, they don't.
That's exactly why they are exclusives: because they are only available from one source so there are not competing prices on the same product.

Competition between stores leads to better overall sales and, just as importantly because this isn’t just about who buys the games, it promotes competition for the developers work and that puts money in their pockets. Like Epic cutting a much better deal on the dollar for devs.

Sentenza

Competition between stores leads to better overall sales
No, it doesn't.
Stop making convenient shit up out of nowhere.

EDIT: In fact if anything the recent numbers seem to stress that the exact opposite is true.
Since Epic debuted with their shitty store their sales have been abysmal, the PC market shrank by few percentages point for the first time in years and piracy rates surged after years of steady decline.

69623_235_aaa-games-earn-record-breaking-19-billion-2020_full.png

Last edited:

Interfectum

If Epic brought something new to the table with their launcher, things would be different. The type of competition they are bringing to Steam is not healthy and we are pretty lucky Valve isn't interested in playing Epic's game of snagging exclusives otherwise this would be a lot worse.

JCK75

If their gimmick to get people on board was the free games I'm cool with that, the exclusivity drives me away from it.. I don't like that nonsense on consoles I sure as hell don't like it coming to PC.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's totally different when they're selling their own content, not paying others to not release games on other platforms. One thing is to compete and the other is to sabotage.

Also their store is lacking features I get in Steam like Steam Controller for my generic controller or Switch pro controller mapping. Others may miss other features like achievements, etc.

The excuse of "how are they gonna compete?" is basically saying they are right to sabotage because they are "inferior" somehow, see how GOG is competing in their own way, Humble too. If they want to compete, they have to offer something Steam don't have that benefits players, the 12% cut was a good start but paying devs to not release games on other platforms is just malicious and it affects players.

Yes, we can just install their shit store on our PC but I'm not doing so given how CPU heavy it is and untill I'm sure it's not sending my data unrelated to gaming to them.

Also, it's not exclusive to EGS, many PC gamers have been complaining of Origin, Uplay and other stores that want to put another layer over Steam, limiting resources and adding an extra hasle just for playing a fucking game.

Top Bottom