• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are now over 6000 games on Steam

Haunted

That's much higher than the number of games available on consoles (with a much higher frequency of ongoing releases as well).

That's much lower than the number of games available on mobile (with a much lower frequency of ongoing releases as well).

Just for comparison's sake: 15000 new games were uploaded on the ios app store last month ( http://www.pocketgamer.biz/metrics/app-store/app-count/ ), bringing the total count to 396000 games on ios. I'm sure we have someone here with the games count of WiiU/PS4.

Haunted

Perhaps a more interesting metric would be "what percentage of PC games released since a given year are currently available on Steam?"
Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms - what are "released PC games?". I assume you're aiming at different storefronts here. So gog.com and origin and uplay... does Desura count? Probably. What about Kongregate? Newgrounds? Gamejolt? itch.io? You can buy games on itch.io and gamejolt. Do free games count? What about F2P? What about the thousands of games that are part of game jams like the global game jam, or ludum dare?

Depending on which ones you allow and which one you don't, Steam could have 90% of all PC games released, or 5%.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms - what are "released PC games?". Does Desura count? Kongregate? Newgrounds? Gamejolt? itch.io? What about the thousands of games that are part of game jams like the global game jam, or ludum dare?

Depending on which ones you allow and which one you don't, Steam could have 90% of all PC games released, or 5%.

Is it really that big a spread?

devonodev

Surprised it's so little to be honest, especially when we're in a world of app stores with over 1 million apps.

Quality over quantity though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really that big a spread?
Yeah, there are lots of Flash game sites (Miniclip, Armor Games, Kongregate) with tons of titles within. There are also web-only games, like Cookie Clicker and Agar.io (which now has a mobile version, but I don't think there's a downloadable one on PC). If all of these count, then the percentage will go down a lot.

ramparter

Banned
A lot of games were removed from the store. Like lincesed games or old version (like Sleeping dogs)

Knowing my luck, I'd do that only for a grand piano to fall on me the moment I step outside.

Not all games are distributed indefinitely (licence expirations are the most common thorn), plus some titles are exclusive to retail (e.g. the region-specific versions of Football Manager). At least ~330 games have been yanked over the years (the list isn't exhaustive).

Unless Steam search is giving me wrong numbers, the top guy has that many through delisted games

6002 is what is available right at this very moment
OK thanks

Qassim

me too. lol

was thinking numbers will be in tens of thousands. This is nothing.

Eh, if you put it in some sort of context, iirc it's more games than the last decade of home consoles combined (PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii, WiiU) by a reasonable margin (probably a difference of 1500+ games).

Edit:

No. Xbox 360 alone have thousands of games available on the indie channel. Over 3000 last time I looked. Add Arcade and physical games to that and I think it's above 5000 total. Or at least close..

EDIT: Yep. More than 3300 games on the Xbox indie channel (as of nov 2014), more than 1100 retail releases and more than 700 XBLA games (some will overlap with the retail category, as they are also released on disc) according to Wiki.

Ah, totally forgot about those and those weren't counted, my figures were the retail + XBLA. My mistake.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Choice is nice. Steam js the main driver I'm the PC space and I wouldn't be as involved without it.

I think PC gaming would still be fine but it's hard to imagine PC without Steam taking off.

Qassim

Choice is nice. Steam js the main driver I'm the PC space and I wouldn't be as involved without it.

I think PC gaming would still be fine but it's hard to imagine PC without Steam taking off.

It's a driver of a certain segment of the PC market, but it's not all of it. As a percentage of players, the biggest games aren't even on Steam with the exception of DOTA2 and CSGO.

95 percent of the last 3-4000 games added on steam are greenlight shovelware :\

Not that steam doesn't still have 5 times as many good games released on PC every year than there are on the 3 consoles combined:p

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Here are my stats from SteamSpy:

Games total: 6,567
Games with tags: 6,405

But it includes unreleased games and games that were removed from the store.

Deques

I think you're over exaggerating; you would be saying that at least 3001 games on Steam are from greenlight.

I did make it sound like more than 50% are greenlight games, but I didn't check how many greenlight games there are.

OPjNeNL.png

Over 700 greenlight games are available for sale. It's almost 1/6 of the available games

You make it sound like all game greenlighted are bad games, which would be quite the ignorant statement ^_~

Not all greenlit games are bad, but most of them are

jetsetrez

As huge as the number of games on Steam is, I'm kind of more surprised that I own over 10% of all of the games on the platform. I guess those Humble Bundles add up.

rhayader

Neo Member
God damn... 1964 games have been released on Steam in 2015 so far.

I've filtered it to only list games for Windows OS by release date and had to scroll back 78 pages to reach january 1st 2015. That's like 8 new games per day on average.

Edit: To those claiming it's mostly garbage, consider that 65% of Steam's library gets a favourable rating, which means people were glad of their purchase. Doesn't that count for something?

L.O.R.D

I did make it sound like more than 50% are greenlight games, but I didn't check how many greenlight games there are.

OPjNeNL.png

Over 700 greenlight games are available for sale. It's almost 1/6 of the available games

Not all greenlit games are bad, but most of them are

those greenlit games don't have store page yet
if they acutely released , there will be more then 10000 games on steam

Tybolt

Banned
6,000 games with the vast majority of them app store tier garbage and RPG Maker games (edit: and indie movies, too). What a wonderful time to be a user of Steam.

Chao

The advertising at the bottom of this thread was both hilarious and relevant, maybe this is the reason why we have 6000+ games

jPSsela.jpg

L.O.R.D

Apps != games

EDIT: Durr, they actually filter them by games. What is their definition of a game?

most of them are clone games
like at least 200 clones of flappy bird and 5000 clone of bejeweled with micro transaction
don't forget the games that can't run on ios above 7 or 8

bede-x

Eh, if you put it in some sort of context, iirc it's more games than the last decade of home consoles combined (PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii, WiiU) by a reasonable margin (probably a difference of 1500+ games).

No. Xbox 360 alone have thousands of games available on the indie channel. Over 3000 last time I looked. Add Arcade and physical games to that and I think it's above 5000 total. Or at least close..

EDIT: Yep. More than 3300 games on the Xbox indie channel (as of nov 2014), more than 1100 retail releases and more than 700 XBLA games (some will overlap with the retail category, as they are also released on disc) according to Wiki.

Haunted

Apps != games

EDIT: Durr, they actually filter them by games. What is their definition of a game?
Yeah, according to the site, the total amount of active apps is near 1.4 million, with 400k games. 43k new not-game apps last months, 15k new games last month. That's 1,875 new apps PER DAY. I assume they get their numbers from the app store API, like Steamspy does for Steam.

edit: looks like they use top level categories of the app store itself to classify apps.

StevieP

Banned
"App Store tier garbage"? People seem to forget: the healthier the market, the more people trying to get into that market. Healthy markets have "shovel ware". PC is very healthy. Mobiles are extremely healthy.

Console? Not so healthy

Qassim

Ah, totally forgot about those and those weren't counted, my figures were the retail + XBLA. My mistake.

Top Bottom