There are Russian agents blackmailing users on every major social media site, creating assests

pimentel1

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/17/tech/russia-2016-election-social-media-report/index.html

You can say it is unlikely, but chances are, every userbase forum has a user working for Russia and is being blackmailed. Here, Resetera, the Root, Splinternews, Shacknews, Reddit— you are not immune. We hear how they recruited from organizations on both sides. We mostly hear stuff pertaining to Black Lives Matter, but we know it’s bigger than this.

When you see someone posting a question on a forum, such as, “What’s your dirtiest work secret” and such, know that there is a chance a Russian agent is trying to gain information on people. Don’t respond to it.

If you are still on Facebook get off. Your data, not even your private messages, are secure.

If you are being blackmailed, your best option is to do the very thing you are afraid of. Turn yourself in with the understanding that there may be some punishment, but it is far worse when officials come knocking and you wait. They will work with you to identify the blackmailer, and hopefully, one day, bring them to justice.

Finally, I want to add a little opinion here: It is sad and unfortunate that people have turned away from major media outlets and towards online sites and people such as Jon Stewart for their news. The bias on Fox and CNN had disillusioned people to the point where each side has decried the other as fake news. And to a certain extent, both sides are right. Not only that, but people want their news faster. They turn to online sites for news aggregation that major outlets can not do. I think a real step to restoring a balanced news system and one that would could gain the trust of the people is a joint network, between Fox and CNN, with oversight by the Daily Beast.

Side note: re: Jon Stewart. At least with him you got comedy with your fake news.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
so you are saying don't reveal personally damaging information to strangers on the internet?

seems like a reasonable rule. tbh you should follow this for anyone you interact with online, no need to tie this into some grand Russian conspiracy. this is just common sense netiquette.

hackers have long used social engineering to break into systems. be aware.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
so you are saying don't reveal personally damaging information to strangers on the internet?

seems like a reasonable rule. tbh you should follow this for anyone you interact with online, no need to tie this into some grand Russian conspiracy. this is just common sense netiquette.

hackers have long used social engineering to break into systems. be aware.
The other site is rife with these questions. And people respond like mad. I hope this notification goes up there and other sites as well. Because well, people naive.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Also don't send people nudes/jacking it.

Its a common scam/blackmail plot. Once they got those pics they will threaten to send them to everyone until you pay them off.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Thanks for the PSA.

To add something else:

If you get an email "From" yourself, claiming that your email has been hacked and the proof is that the email came "From" your own email account, it is a scam. Email spoofing is fairly easy to do but a lot of people panic and fall for it.

Dec 3, 2018
I prefer how Shareblue/Correct the Record does it where they just buy old, seasoned accounts that are run from a single computer using scripts, then install mods that slowly take over the moderation of various subreddits and forums. Blackmail is so trite. I'd much rather my online discourse be controlled through manipulation and authoritarianism, like /r/politics.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
More PSA.

You didn't win the lottery, there is no bank holding millions of dollars for you. Some rich dead person didn't identify you as his last heir nor is the UN holding funds for you.

Send those emails straight to your spam box. They make great reads for comedy purposes only.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I am the Russian hacker known as 4Chan. Fear me! You have been compromised.

Oh, and never reply to a spam email, either. Not even for giggles. 95% of those aren't trying to get serious replies, but if you respond it confirms you as an active email on their list. Then more spam commences.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
You have to be one hell of a deviant and dumb motherfucker to be blackmailed. I mean, you must have one hell of an ego and or way to worried about what others would think of you to let anyone whether it is a Russian or not blackmail you. Of course if it is something illegal that you are doing, well you are a really big dumb motherfucker.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
NSA swoops up everything you do online. . .

Perfectly acceptable, no cause for concern, "they keep us safe", etc.

Same spooks claim Russians do something at a millionth of the scale. . .

Everyone be afraid!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the mods don't check my IP address comr-, friends!

ToughestSoul

Dec 11, 2018
So besides the Russian agents, shills for companies and people who mistake gaming forums for political activist grounds, are there any 'normal' users left on gaming message boards? People who are just there to talk about games?

Last edited:

pimentel1

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
So besides the Russian agents, shills for companies and people who mistake gaming forums for political activist grounds, are there any 'normal' users left on gaming message boards? People who are just there to talk about games?
Go to the gaming section.

May 22, 2018
Step 1: Don't be a terrible human being and you won't be able to be blackmailed.

There is no step 2.

Last edited:

Scopa

Oct 27, 2017
your mind
NSA swoops up everything you do online. . .

Perfectly acceptable, no cause for concern, "they keep us safe", etc.

Same spooks claim Russians do something at a millionth of the scale. . .

Everyone be afraid!
It is obvious that only the very dense buy into these pathetic scare campaigns. Even someone with a modicum of intelligence should be able to see it for what it is.

It’s astounding that we’ve spent decades mocking the ridiculousness of McCarthyism and the second Red Scare and yet, here we are. Like sheep to the slaughter.

pimentel1

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
Idris Elba says, “The only people that should be afraid are those with something to hide.”

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Step 1: Don't be a terrible human being and you won't be able to be blackmailed.

There is no step 2.
So how is Pewdiepie a nazi in the media eye, despite being a sweet, innocent little Swedish man beloved by 77 million 9-14 year olds...

Clearly, the reality is...TOW THE IDEOLOGICAL LINE CITIZEN, or you will be falsely accused.

pimentel1

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
Let's all head over to the confession thread and "anonymously" reveal our darkest secrets!
That’s exactly what I’m saying. These question sensitive information threads should be shut down as there are people out there stupid enough to pist something really incriminating in these threads, on every forum. All these media cable tech companies share our info. It’s not hard for someone to buy this info I predict. And it’s not like they are always looking for high profile or rich targets. They want dumb people to go and prop up cages for “democracy is dead” campaigns, etc, etc. So, why do we allow these questions on these forums. “Tell me your secrets...”? We shouldn’t for the safety of the public.

zenspider

May 9, 2016
I'm glad to finally being in the dystopian cyberpunk future I used to read about.

1984 was way to bleak - this is an Orwellian nightmare by way of JG Ballard and a splash of Gibson.