• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a non-consumer SSD that is faster than the PS5 SSD

Lanrutcon

pc's where allways behing consoles if you compare specs of those , console could evolve on same specs where on pc you allways need to upgrade your damns specs to go anywhere .
now pc's wont be even on same level as next gen consoles.

I'm sure there's a point in that post somewhere. I'm just not willing to wade through the copious amounts of stupid to get to it.

I'm just going to assume you're drunk and your parents were murdered by a spellchecker when you were young.

Dargor

pc's where allways behing consoles if you compare specs of those , console could evolve on same specs where on pc you allways need to upgrade your damns specs to go anywhere .
now pc's wont be even on same level as next gen consoles.

Wut? No, this isnt true at all. Console's role is much more significant and it has nothing to do with being superior.

What consoles do is set the norm. PCs for a long time have had the best of everything, but thats in the high end space, so its almost never actually used in a meaningful way, since the majority of pcs are also the worst things. (notebooks and pcs with no gpus for example).).

When a new console gen comes around it takes some of these things and puts them in the forefront. In this particular gen its ssds (amongst other things, but lets focus on ssds due to the thread were in), they have been available for ages, but most games dont use them since consoles and most pcs still sport a hdd.

When this gen comes around though, it will set the bar higher, people are gonna need to start upgrading their hdds to ssds and everyone is gonna benefit, specially the people that already have ssds in their pcs, that are being underutilized by most game engines.

B_Boss

Just a little reminder OP ( LadyBernstakel) was banned from Era because of console warring

So i was thinking she was repeating what she used to do there in here

Unfortunately Lady Burn hasn’t posted since his/her opening post?, so it almost seems like a.....well....a drive by type post? I was interested in seeing his/her thoughts about the article itself and/or motivation for posting the topic.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just a little reminder OP ( LadyBernstakel) was banned from Era because of console warring

I joined ERA on April this year and was banned for trolling the very same day. And I joined GAF 5 months before you.

CbGEbHI.png

AUoQZ7X.png

1RctlM3.png

GH2rkF0.png

4vsoiz2.png

9ct5POS.png

The fact that you are posting this means you know what happened there. No need to lie here.
pVR9af7.png

3svsM2F.png

All this happened within 24 hours. And after 2 days they changed it to perma-ban

OJOqTeI.png

Nice try.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Unfortunately Lady Burn hasn’t posted since his/her opening post?, so it almost seems like a.....well....a drive by type post? I was interested in seeing his/her thoughts about the article itself and/or motivation for posting the topic.
What do you think this thread is tagged with ? I founded this while searching the web about Phison controllers and also saw Linus cover it. Didnt find a thread on GAF, so posted it here.
Should have just made a thread about this.
I think they see the argument about simply more TF without removing the bottlenecks is like a Elephant pulling a bear. Lots of power, but much of it relegated to doing processes that hinders it's ultimate speed and power.

As for the OP, What exactly is he saying? Tim and Cerny lied about PS5 having the fastest SSD? Really now, PS5 is a gaming device you will get for $500, so what do they do, they get a few SSD's in raid to push throughput, a setup not for gaming like PS5 is, not setup for gaming IO, a setup which does not have a DMAC for gaming like PS5, but is instead a random setup costing an arm a leg set up for enterprise and not gaming, we have no idea how it will function playing a game or vs a PS5, which can hit 22GB/s with proper coding.....Try getting this in a PC setup for $500...…..Try getting PS5 SSD speeds in any off the shelf SSD you can find right now.....Yeah Tim and Cerny are lying about that surely, because Tim has not been one of the bigger proponents for the PC space since we've known him forever...…. Sometimes we go too far with this, it's like XBOX fans are calling every tech icon liars or people who don't know what they are talking about.....Think about this for a minute, before we continue down that path. Enjoy Series X for what it is, no need to fabricate and attempt to besmirch icons because they have more favorable things to say about the box you do not favor....
I didnt say anything. The quotes and the original title were from the article. There was no commentary from me.

This is just 8 M2 SSD's duckedtaped together with stripe (raid0) config.
So not exacly a fair comparison. No games would take advantage of it, so all you get is faster loadtimes.

Not even faster load times on PC. It will have the same load times as $70 Sata SSD because of the lack of proper I/O.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I joined ERA on April this year and was banned for trolling the very same day. And I joined GAF 5 months before you.

CbGEbHI.png

AUoQZ7X.png

rwhagBk.png

1RctlM3.png

GH2rkF0.png

4vsoiz2.png

9ct5POS.png

The fact that you are posting this means you know what happened there. No need to lie here.
pVR9af7.png

3svsM2F.png

All this happened within 24 hours. And after 2 days they changed it to perma-ban

OJOqTeI.png

Nice try.

He was right though. Gears is an icon of the xbox hardware.

It’s worth a ban for trying to argue anything else lol

Bernkastel

He was right though. Gears is an icon of the xbox hardware.

It’s worth a ban for trying to argue anything else lol
Do you see the same reaction to a new Gears game and a new Halo or Forza game ? There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to just those two franchises. Halo and Forza have a dedicated community who would always love a new game in that franchise, Gears does not. This is why there are so many rumours and even hints from Coalition about a new IP, but not from 343i and Turn 10.

B_Boss

What do you think this thread is tagged with ? I founded this while searching the web about Phison controllers and also saw Linus cover it. Didnt find a thread on GAF, so posted it here.
Should have just made a thread about this.

I didnt say anything. The quotes and the original title were from the article. There was no commentary from me.

Ahhh so I see. I clearly saw what the thread was tagged with but of course, that in no way is a substitute for your own thinking on the matter or, say, your motivation for creating the thread. Do you feel that many gamers (in particular) are misunderstanding (or perhaps spreading misinformation) about the PS5's SSD? I definitely think that anandtech article would've been interesting to start a thread on but certainly your comments and thoughts on the article itself would be preferred personally. I think the key takeaway is that we really shouldn't consider the PS5' SSD without the accompanying I/O engineering that really helps the SSD shine or perform to its full potential :messenger_beermugs:.

Enough already. Get over the SSD.

Why lol? Do you understand how the SSD works with the I/O engineering? Who would want to get over that? Its very fascinating, perhaps even revolutionary in some ways for a gaming console.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I have to sort of agree with this , this feels like a driveby post just to stir things up for the sake of her getting some sort of validation of her blatantly obvious favorite console brand.
What exactly is the point of bringing this up if non-consumers can’t by them?
Trolling at it’s finest.

iHaunter

Ahhh so I see. I clearly saw what the thread was tagged with but of course, that in no way is a substitute for your own thinking on the matter or, say, your motivation for creating the thread. Do you feel that many gamers (in particular) are misunderstanding (or perhaps spreading misinformation) about the PS5's SSD? I definitely think that anandtech article would've been interesting to start a thread on but certainly your comments and thoughts on the article itself would be preferred personally. I think the key takeaway is that we really shouldn't consider the PS5' SSD without the accompanying I/O engineering that really helps the SSD shine or perform to its full potential :messenger_beermugs:.

Why lol? Do you understand how the SSD works with the I/O engineering? Who would want to get over that? Its very fascinating, perhaps even revolutionary in some ways for a gaming console.

There's already SSDs for PC that is a lot faster than it. It's going be awesome and I'm pre-ordering PS5. But I'm tired of seeing hype without actual full-blown gameplay.

magaman

Banned
Enough already. Get over the SSD.

Disagree. The PS5's SSD is one of those rare occasions when I think it's safe to get excited for a new generation. Most gamers (at least console gamers) haven't experienced what a SSD can do.

Imagine booting up your console and loading Skyrim or GTA5 in 4-5 seconds. You might not care, but the millions of gamers who sit on loading screens for 2 minutes will.

You also may be tired of hearing about it, but it's the most exciting news to come out of any console announcement within the last two generations. So put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

theclaw135

Banned
SSDs don't have to be faster than RAM (if that's possible). Just fast enough to be able to feed data directly into the CPU and GPU, eliminating the middle man.

B_Boss

There's already SSDs for PC that is a lot faster than it. It's going be awesome and I'm pre-ordering PS5. But I'm tired of seeing hype without actual full-blown gameplay.

Faster? Again, you’re considering merely the SSD without the I/O engineering behind it. As far as I’m aware there is nothing quite like the PS5’s architecture at this moment of this post AND for the price (the price I am speculating about but surely the PS5 will be no more than what 500-600 at the most?).

It is not about mere SSD speeds with the PS5, it never was.

keram

Maybe you have not realized yet but it is not only about the SSD but also custom I/O.

This combination of custom SSD+I/O makes the PS5 faster than any PC, in terms of streaming from the SSD to RAM.

If you just want to move data form one place to another place on a SSD only, then you are rigth.

Vroadstar

I have to sort of agree with this , this feels like a driveby post just to stir things up for the sake of her getting some sort of validation of her blatantly obvious favorite console brand.
What exactly is the point of bringing this up if non-consumers can’t by them?
Trolling at it’s finest.

I agree with you and poster you quoted. Have you noticed all the recent threads the OP started? That's dedication :messenger_tears_of_joy:

iHaunter

Faster? Again, you’re considering merely the SSD without the I/O engineering behind it. As far as I’m aware there is nothing quite like the PS5’s architecture at this moment of this post AND for the price (the price I am speculating about but surely the PS5 will be no more than what 500-600 at the most?).

It is not about mere SSD speeds with the PS5, it never was.

There will never be anything like the PS5 Architecture or the XSX Architecture because they're designed with a signal purpose. All consumer-based PC hardware is designed to be piecemeal. This fact is true on a technicality.

I'm a huge PS fan and love my PS3/PS4 Pro. I will stay up to pre-order PS5 on Day 1. SSD in a console is huge and new. But PC will always dominate due to the low cost of the console. There is already PCI-E 4 available. Look up Gigabyte AORUS Gen 4.

LinusTech already did very interesting testing with it. Think at one point they hit 29 GBs per second Read/Write speed. Almost 6 times faster than PS5. Again the I/O on PS5 makes theirs more efficient.

Last edited:

ToadMan

LinusTech already did very interesting testing with it. Think at one point they hit 29 GBs per second Read/Write speed. Almost 6 times faster than PS5. Again the I/O on PS5 makes theirs more efficient.

But this was already discredited both by Tim Sweeney - pointing out the lack of bottlenecks in the PS5 architecture, and indeed Linus himself stepped back.

SSD is one part of the puzzle. One has to consider the decompression hardware, DMA to VRAM, optimized I/O systems., cache utilization, O/S.

Those things aren't going away in the PC space just by installing a faster SSD, not to mention that PC SSDs aren't sustaining those peak figures yet.

I also find PC comparisons to be faintly ridiculous - yes technology advances, there will always be something better... but for some reason people seem to think that declaring "PC will be better in future!" is some kind of killing blow to improving console tech.

It clearly isn't - consoles are still here and more popular gaming platforms than ever. PC hardware comparisons seem to be driven by FOMO from PC fiddlers. A year or so into the gen it all goes quiet until the next gen when PC tech heads suddenly wake up and join the party, but they aren't invited...

iHaunter

But this was already discredited both by Tim Sweeney - pointing out the lack of bottlenecks in the PS5 architecture, and indeed Linus himself stepped back.

SSD is one part of the puzzle. One has to consider the decompression hardware, DMA to VRAM, optimized I/O systems., cache utilization, O/S.

Those things aren't going away in the PC space just by installing a faster SSD, not to mention that PC SSDs aren't sustaining those peak figures yet.

I also find PC comparisons to be faintly ridiculous - yes technology advances, there will always be something better... but for some reason people seem to think that declaring "PC will be better in future!" is some kind of killing blow to improving console tech.

It clearly isn't - consoles are still here and more popular gaming platforms than ever. PC hardware comparisons seem to be driven by FOMO from PC fiddlers. A year or so into the gen it all goes quiet until the next gen when PC tech heads suddenly wake up and join the party, but they aren't invited...

All I'm saying is, do not expect anything too revolutionary from the start. We'll see what happens on release.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
he made his point very clearly if your brain wasn't prewired in defense mode, no? Right...Because no.
He did make his point clearly about the technical aspects and mocking both sides of this debate. Linus is mostly sorry for the inadvertent personal attack that implies Sweeney is a shill. Sweeney is an astute marketer and promoter, but he's not a shill. He can't be when his company is as multiplatform as his.

(timestamped)

Your brain is in defense mode by immedately assuming that Linus was trying to be misleading.

Was his point to be misleading? Because he contradicted himself, bashing Sweeney because some PC drives have a higher peak read speed, but then eventually also mentioning that gains become CPU bound - the point of the IO complex - without ascribing that very point to the PS5 trying to work around that.

Linus portrayed both sides of the argument, and he did elaborate why both the hypertechnical interpretation is "correct" and the Sweeney hype is "correct" in their respective contexts. That is the opposite of trying to be misleading. Where Linus fucked up was not drilling down to the verbatim quote and implying that Sweeney is a shill and pissing off a giant player in the industry for no good reason.

Degree

Banned
I don't think LordofChaos is handling this well.

One thing is certain. Cerny's bodycount continues to rise. Miss OP already.

oh. As soon as the games arrive - and when the finally realize that the games will look and run better on PC and XSX - all those dead bodies will rise again.
We will see soon enough

plip.plop

Why do people constantly try to compare consoles to PCs? These things aren't in the same class, It's like comparing fighter jets to sports cars. Yes, Sony has one of the fastest SSD's for now. But this is crazy to think PC gamers will not get something that matches its or outperforms it sooner rather than later.
I'm not a PC gamer nor have I ever been as the cost for a badass rig being a barrier to entry is a big reason but these guys spend more on a graphics card than you would spend buying all 3 consoles. And that is just one component of their rig.

KingT731

There will never be anything like the PS5 Architecture or the XSX Architecture because they're designed with a signal purpose. All consumer-based PC hardware is designed to be piecemeal. This fact is true on a technicality.

I'm a huge PS fan and love my PS3/PS4 Pro. I will stay up to pre-order PS5 on Day 1. SSD in a console is huge and new. But PC will always dominate due to the low cost of the console. There is already PCI-E 4 available. Look up Gigabyte AORUS Gen 4.

This is likely the line of logic Tim Sweeny was taking about: Theoretical vs real world performance when it comes to PC.

iHaunter

This is likely the line of logic Tim Sweeny was taking about: Theoretical vs real world performance when it comes to PC.

Yeah and I'm sure PS5 will be optimized for it's use to start too. Just saying it's out there. But the cost is high. you will need everything upgraded to PCI4. CPU, Mobo, etc.

Elog

Yeah and I'm sure PS5 will be optimized for it's use to start too. Just saying it's out there. But the cost is high. you will need everything upgraded to PCI4. CPU, Mobo, etc.

This is incorrect. You cannot get a technical solution today on a PC which allows for high throughput and low latency streaming of graphical assets into VRAM from an SSD. VRAM needs to be preloaded regardless of hardware you have.

This is what TS is saying. And that is what Linus realised as he dug deeper into the topic after his initial gut reaction.

Hopefully it comes to the PC world but the problem is that not a single party owns the I/O standard - it is shared - and updating the I/O standard for motherboards require collaboration between multiple parties. Hopefully the PS5 and UE5 can push this to happen.

psorcerer

Banned
Hopefully it comes to the PC world but the problem is that not a single party owns the I/O standard - it is shared - and updating the I/O standard for motherboards require collaboration between multiple parties. Hopefully the PS5 and UE5 can push this to happen.

Not only that. Loading of the assets in graphics drivers is also not optimized for low latency high bw operation.

iHaunter

This is incorrect. You cannot get a technical solution today on a PC which allows for high throughput and low latency streaming of graphical assets into VRAM from an SSD. VRAM needs to be preloaded regardless of hardware you have.

This is what TS is saying. And that is what Linus realised as he dug deeper into the topic after his initial gut reaction.

I think you misunderstood what I said. "Eventually" it will happen. More likely a company that does all the components will do a series of hardware that support. Though I doubt it'll be as efficient as the PS5.

Top Bottom