• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a Petition to remove the Washington Post 4/10 Review from Metacritc

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They posted a review I don't like! Burn them! BURN THEM ALL!"

That's what the description on the petition sounds like to me.

In all fairness, as much as I disagree with the review and respect that it's just one mans opinion - I have to ask - where does Metacritic get the "40" score from? I have no issue with the review (despite, once again, heavily disagreeing) I just question the way Metacritic got it's score.

Ein Bear

Oh fuck off.

UC4 is great, but people who care this much about reviews need a hard slap around the face.

Kouriozan

Did Metacritic ever remove a score?
I know that when a review update their scores, Metacritic keep the old one so it looks like they won't bother.

In all fairness, as much as I disagree with the review and respect that it's just one mans opinion - I have to ask - where does Metacritic get the "40" score from? I have no issue with the review (despite, once again, heavily disagreeing) I just question the way Metacritic got it's score.

I think there is even another review on their site, but they gave it 4/4 ? I am confused myself.

Edit: Here is the 4/4 review https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...6beb2a-1773-11e6-971a-dadf9ab18869_story.html

Figments

giphy.gif

Reviewers are paid to give you their opinions. They aren't paid to validate yours.

So yeah.

What is the absolute minium score the petition proposes? 70? 80? 90?

110/100

When I read through it, I didn't see a proposed score.

Troy Baker seems to be on that Uncharted 4 train since his Twitter has been promoting the game a lot recently. Though this petition seems like a joke...well it's a petition so it's a joke anyway but this can't be taken seriously.
Also:
Reviews
Game Journalism
Smash 4 sucks
Metacritic

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Who cares? They can give it whatever score they want.

Also, absolutely hilarious that OP just assumes that everyone on NeoGAF is only thinking about Uncharted 4.

Wubbys

If someone thinks the game is a 4/10 thats their opinion. An opinion that seems to be a small minority. Im not going to get my pitchfork out.

DrKelpo

Banned
I didn't really follow that... but was the WP review a real, honest review?
And if yes, what were the points of criticism that justified such a score?

No wonder people outside the game industry don't take videogames seriously.

Criticism is a healthy thing to have in any entertainment medium. This fact eludes far too many people.

Elios83

Is it a satiric review not meant to be serious?
In that case it should be removed.
If not and it's their actual opinion deal with it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think it's stranger that a 4/10 didn't affect the metacritic score. So why have it removed if it didn't bring the score down?

Don't abnormally low scores usually bring the metacritic score right down?

conman

No one but publishers should care at all. That actual consumers care in the slightest shows just how much they have let their brains be taken over by corporate-think.

Stupid petition. Doesn't affect the litany of 10s the game has already received and the reviewer actually makes some valid points. People need to get a grip. The article was short and didn't touch on anything other than story really but nonetheless I actually found myself agreeing with some lines, so there ya go...

its a good review. where did the 4/10 come from though?

I think there has been a confusion. They gave UC4 a 4/4, but metacritic has said that reviewers are submitting the scores themselves. Here is the 'real' review again https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...6beb2a-1773-11e6-971a-dadf9ab18869_story.html

I'm prety sure the review Metacritic's used isn't the actual Washington Post Uncharted 4 review. This is.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end/critic-reviews?dist=negative

After reading the petition it really comes off as a parody or something.

I mean come on:

"It harms the Flawless reputation of the game for absolutely no reason. A review is not about what you think a game is , its about what a game is. Objective measures are applied."

GAZhims3lv

Neo Member
"My opinion is right, yours is wrong."
The reviewer can have the opinion but this review just smells like a small fight between him and someone from Naughty Dog/Sony. Also, you can bitch on the concept but don't tell me it's a bad game.

Edit: Oh, the other article confused me..

What is it about video games that causes this asinine behavior?

Is it because they cost 60 bucks? How do people react to reviews they don't like in say, the automotive community, then?

DrArchon

That's what I'm wondering. Did someone at Metacritic look the review over and say "Yeah, that reads like a 4/10"? Did they get confused somewhere along the line? It's baffling that Metacritc seemingly assigned a random number to this review.

But, if anyone can point out where this is labeled a 4/10 review, I'll gladly support it staying on Metacritic. It is a review of the game, and Metacritic is an aggregate of reviews, so I see no reason not to include it.

Jonm1010

Banned
What is the absolute minium score the petition proposes? 70? 80? 90?
Such a weird enthusiast circle this hobby is sometimes.

A subset of people demanding a change to a score to help a aggregate rating that at this point past release will have probably zero effect on anything except on the people that care about this in the first place and already have their minds made up about the game so the reviews ultimately don't even matter to them.

Talk about wasted energy.

Loris146

Lol... Anyway this guy is hilarious. Look at this article : " Is Dark Souls II The Worst Game Ever Made? "

This quote is amazing :
Released this week for PCs, Dark Souls II is the sequel to what I have long thought of as the worst game ever made

udivision

"Don't they know what'll happen to the mets critic score!?" Comes to mind.

I feel like that's a line from a Mega64 video.

its a good review. where did the 4/10 come from though?

Washington Post has two Uncharted 4 reviews up.

One is a 4/4 (10/10) and the other is a 4/10. Everyone thought the 4/10 review was a satire piece or something (it reads like one) and that the other review was the real one. But apparently the 4/10 one is the one that they submitted to MC.

EBE

I think there has been a confusion. They gave UC4 a 4/4, but metacritic has said that reviewers are submitting the scores themselves. Here is the 'real' review again https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...6beb2a-1773-11e6-971a-dadf9ab18869_story.html

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end/critic-reviews?dist=negative

i see
both pieces are well written
kinda like the 4/10 one a bit better though. its interesting anyway and i dont think the points it makes should be dismissed offhand

Wubbys

After reading the petition it really comes off as a parody or something.

I mean come on:

"It harms the Flawless reputation of the game for absolutely no reason. A review is not about what you think a game is , its about what a game is. Objective measures are applied."
Wow, that is so untrue. Its all about the feels. Reviews are So subjective not some hard science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom