• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is now a Bethesda.net launcher (a la Origin, Steam, uPlay, Battle.net, etc)

What's your favorite PC game launcher client/store?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't see a thread on this, but thought some people would be curious.

No store up yet, but imagine it can't be too far off given there's a Redeem Code button here.

bethesdatzsy2.png

_id1461748204_3431786wxtr.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow, Bethesda, the publisher whose reputation basically boils down to "spotty quality control and bugs", launching an ugly and totally superfluous vanity PC games service to do literally nothing you couldn't do on other platforms. Also I'm totally confident this won't end up being a security mess.

I really have to wonder about the analysis that goes into the decision to launch one of these. Can anyone make a convincing case that uPlay has been a worthwhile endeavor for Ubi once you account for opportunity cost?

Mivey

Every respectable AAA publisher needs their shitty Steam clone/ add on. It's just good etiquette at this point.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh no.. Not more of these clients.

Please at least be good if forced upon us like uPlay.

I wonder if this client will drop trough my hard drive. Seems to be a common 'Thesda thing.

Wow, Bethesda, the publisher whose reputation basically boils down to "spotty quality control and bugs", launching an ugly and totally superfluous vanity PC games service to do literally nothing you couldn't do on other platforms. Also I'm totally confident this won't end up being a security mess.

Don't worry, mods will fix it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I really have to wonder about the analysis that goes into the decision to launch one of these. Can anyone make a convincing case that uPlay has been a worthwhile endeavor for Ubi once you account for opportunity cost?

Unlocked 100(u) UPlay Action Units: Replied on a forum to try to make the argument that Uplay Ubisoft Club Le U-Zone Par Yves Guillemot is a useful service.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
What I always wondered about is why these third party launchers don't interface with the Steam authentication API to give you a basically one click option to create an account in their system directly tied to your Steam account and then never have to bother with their launcher again by having it automatically log in when accessing it through Steam. That would at least make them less of a hassle if you bought their game through Steam.

Corpekata

Banned
Is this possibly because of a lead in toward console mods, which will seemingly need a curated space for the mods? Do consoles allow these sort of things?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Security issues are part of the launcher's character. It's imperfection makes it more believable. Launchers are complicated and dynamic pieces of software, so you can't have the same expectations that you'd have for other software. I am also looking forward to the funny YouTube videos these security issues will inspire.

In any case, eventually mods will fix the launcher.

Spaghetti

That first post is gold.

But also tragically true. Bethesda is one of the last companies I expect to do anything worthwhile with their own launcher.

hlhbk

For fucks sake. Before anyone says this is good for PC gaming how is having 5 different stores and launchers make pc gaming more accessible for new comers? This is worst than the PC gaming space prior to Steam.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Cynical Prediction Time!

It's a client that will be forced to run whenever their games are started on your PC. Maybe not their already-released games, but definitely going forward.

It will also be used to "subscribe" to mods like with Steam Workshop.

At some point in the future, only mods that go through this system will be allowed to alter the games. This will be justified by the argument that "players get the same experience across consoles and PC", and that it stops "pirated" or "copyright infringing" free versions of paid mods to protect users and creators.

Add non-steam game. Again. Good that playing on PC makes all of this redundant anyway.

Good for you Bethesda, keep those margins up and make sure all your shit continues to work with steam. Everyone's happy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Add non-steam game. Again. Good that playing on PC makes all of this redundant anyway.

well sure except if, for example, they stop having steam workshop support and try to run mods through this while limiting them, or if they stop supporting steam client-level features, or force matchmaking to go through their service rather than using existing social networks, or...

RK9039

Cynical Prediction Time!

It's a client that will be forced to run whenever their games are started on your PC. Maybe not their already-released games, but definitely going forward.

At some point in the future, only mods that go through this system will be allowed to alter the games. This will be justified by the argument that "players get the same experience across consoles and PC", and that it stops "pirated" or "copyright infringing" free versions of paid mods to protect users and creators.

Damn.

Odrion

Banned
only steam and origin left on my system I uninstalled the others.

You're still using the Uplay client when you use the Steam version. Ubisoft has even gutted Steam functionality out of some of their titles like The Crew to bring the features over to Uplay. In that case the only thing you're getting out of buying a Ubisoft game on Steam is that it saves you the hassle of using Steam's"Add non-steam game to library" feature.

Although one added benefit is that Uplay games can go on sale for dirt cheap.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Cynical Prediction Time!

:eek:
Whoa

Odrion

Banned
Cynical Prediction Time!

Yup. Although I wouldn't be surprised if modders figure out a workaround.

Dynasty

I think they look at the long term potential benefits. They don't see the reason to pay 30% to Valve on each sale when they could start their own service, sure they'll have a smaller amount of sales in the short term if they keep there games exclusively to that platform but eventually in the long term they could potentially make more money since they are getting 100% profit as the amount of users grow. They also will make even more money if they attract other third party and indie devs to there storefront.
Personally if I was one of these publishers I would be doing the same, starting my own storefront but I would imagine I would release the store in a better condition.

jelly

I think the 30% is a side show considering the upkeep they would need to offer these services, it's the bigger thing of directly connecting with users across all platforms and then exploiting that, the extra revenue opportunities are nice but it's more than the 30% slice of cake for them, they want to build a larger cake that they can sell to everyone wherever they are. If they start removing games from other store fronts, that would suck but nothing so far.

Eusis

Wonder if Steam sharing is a factor here, actually? Uplay and Rockstar Social Club nip that in the bud, and I know I played quite a bit of Fallout 4 via sharing with my brother (but then got it and the season pass for myself via a sale.) Probably just A factor versus keeping a reign on mods or trying to keep customers tied to them or whatever.

well sure except if, for example, they stop having steam workshop support and try to run mods through this while limiting them, or if they stop supporting steam client-level features, or force matchmaking to go through their service rather than using existing social networks, or...

I know, but it's Bethesda. They won't be able to. make anything that actually works. It's kinda like the Epic launcher that came with Shadow Complex Remastered. That took the PC community 1 day to strip out and consign to history.

Nokterian

Cynical Prediction Time!

Just like Uplay only worse and my guess is you are right with that. I am pretty much done with so many launchers..only 2 i have open is Steam and Battle.net.

finley83

Banned
You're still using the Uplay client when you use the Steam version. Ubisoft has even gutted Steam functionality out of some of their titles like The Crew to bring the features over to Uplay. In that case the only thing you're getting out of buying a Ubisoft game on Steam is that it saves you the hassle of using Steam's"Add non-steam game to library" feature.

Although one added benefit is that Uplay games can go on sale for dirt cheap.

It also saves you having to download patches from Ubi's dodgy servers. Also if you're like me, you just buy single player Ubisoft games on Steam, then download a crack so you don't have to install Uplay at all. Worked fine for Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 3 etc.

Top Bottom