• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Gamestop batch of PS5 and Series X and guess what? -- Sold out within in 2 to 15 minutes. Stores need to come up with ways to fix this!!

Derktron

Banned
YES, THIS IS A RANT, I NEED TO GET SOMETHING OFF MY CHEST.

Okay let me start off with I was close to getting one, did the tips and tricks that was provided from a tweet, and was not lucky with the PS5 but for some reason, I got lucky with the Xbox Series X bundle, I did not want it because I already have the Series S and right now I don't think it's necessary for me to even get a Series, X. (Not going to lie, I was really close and clicking the final check out) But this is what I see wrong with all this that is happening, and what I think needs to change in order for the bullshit to end where people can still buy more than one system. How do I know this, well under the thread that was posted on Twitter? Some users were posting that they were able to get two systems and had screenshots of them. (You may be asking proof well I can't because some ended up deleing it because people reported them or attacked them and they probably ended up deleting it)

My point in this rant is that stores need to come up with ways to stop this madness and come up with ways to stop it. One major way this will stop is to force us to go to the store to ensure that we are real and to ensure that we only get one system. I'm sorry but at the rate, we are going with global supplies not picking upstream and could take more months. I think they need to do that. How is it still possible that a console that is available from the time of it being available goes out of stock in such a short time and keep in mind, some stores do waiting periods online to somehow stop the bots and people buying up more than one but at this time it needs to be sent to store and pick up. Until they are more widely available to purchase without all this damn headache.

End rant, I have given up on the search to get a PS5 and will just enjoy what I have in front of me and just wait till they become more available because this is fucking ridiculous. I don't know how anyone feels about it but it's sort of frustrating.

Roni

Gold Member
I want a new PC, but parts are really expensive where I live and just as unavailable as consoles. So the only way for me to achieve this is to save the money I need and then sit on it until the parts I want are available. It will be slow, but I'll get there. I've just made peace with it, honestly...

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yep, the struggle is real but unfortunately the only way right now unless you want to deal with bitch ass scalpers.

It took me close to 10 tries at several different online retailers before i finally got lucky and snagged a PS5 back in Dec in a Best Buy drop. Prior to that, several times i had it in my cart only for the page to not load when i went to checkout, or the worst one which was i made it to checkout, put in all my info, hit place order, and the site crashed and i lost it.

Sadly it's not going to get any easier either. I'd say it's next year before anyone is able to walk into a store and easily get a PS5.

NickFire

Okay let me start off with I was close to getting one, did the tips and tricks that was provided from a tweet, and was not lucky with the PS5 but for some reason, I got lucky with the Xbox Series X bundle, I did not want it because I already have the Series S and right now I don't think it's necessary for me to even get a Series, X. (Not going to lie, I was really close and clicking the final check out) But this is what I see wrong with all this that is happening, and what I think needs to change in order for the bullshit to end where people can still buy more than one system. How do I know this, well under the thread that was posted on Twitter? Some users were posting that they were able to get two systems and had screenshots of them. (You may be asking proof well I can't because some ended up deleing it because people reported them or attacked them and they probably ended up deleting it)

My point in this rant is that stores need to come up with ways to stop this madness and come up with ways to stop it. One major way this will stop is to force us to go to the store to ensure that we are real and to ensure that we only get one system. I'm sorry but at the rate, we are going with global supplies not picking upstream and could take more months. I think they need to do that. How is it still possible that a console that is available from the time of it being available goes out of stock in such a short time and keep in mind, some stores do waiting periods online to somehow stop the bots and people buying up more than one but at this time it needs to be sent to store and pick up. Until they are more widely available to purchase without all this damn headache.

End rant, I have given up on the search to get a PS5 and will just enjoy what I have in front of me and just wait till they become more available because this is fucking ridiculous. I don't know how anyone feels about it but it's sort of frustrating.
If you stay up late, check some of the big retailers around midnight Pacific Time. They sometimes restock when the day restarts without notice.

TBiddy

I still haven't seen a PS5 for sale anywhere here. I sometimes see a lonely XSX available for a short while - but only available physically - until that disappears as well.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah it does suck, and you would think there is some way to counter this.

I think one way is for the platform holders to try to put more pressure on them to come up with a better system. Because both Sony and MS can sale them thru their own websites.

Sony has the queue system and one per household limit. I think the household limit might help. The queue system does work, if you can get thru. And even with that there are ways to get better odds at getting thru the queue faster.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you stay up late, check some of the big retailers around midnight Pacific Time. They sometimes restock when the day restarts without notice.
100% true.

The other week, Walmart Canada got new supply of online stock in the middle of the night and it was active. If you're a night owl, you could had snagged one.

Makes sense in a way if 12 midnight is the reset time from a systems point of view as that is the start of a new day.

But for people (doesn't matter if it's west coast or east coast), most people aren't checking for stock at that time. A more logical time would be maybe 7am when stores open. Or make it a mid morning opportunity like when Ticketmaster sells tickets. They dont do it at midnight or 1 am. It'll be 10 am (or 7 am PST) which is a fair time IMO.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Don’t you guys get waiting queues?
That’s how it works down in Australia.
You put your name down and eventually you get it once you reach the top of the queue.

Cravis

I stopped bothering trying to even get one on big box retailers and stuck strictly with Sony’s PlayStation Direct. I eventually got one on there.

It’s frustrating as hell, though, I agree.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I went to gamestop and target stores and they said none of the stores will get them till after covid is over. Looking for my third unit for a friend.

Best way to get one is to open a Twitter account and follow the 2 restock accounts. You will need to most likely stay up late to get one. These 2 accounts have insider retail data and they are usually right.

NickFire

100% true.

The other week, Walmart Canada got new supply of online stock in the middle of the night and it was active. If you're a night owl, you could had snagged one.

Makes sense in a way if 12 midnight is the reset time from a systems point of view as that is the start of a new day.

But for people (doesn't matter if it's west coast or east coast), most people aren't checking for stock at that time. A more logical time would be maybe 7am when stores open. Or make it a mid morning opportunity like when Ticketmaster sells tickets. They dont do it at midnight or 1 am. It'll be 10 am (or 7 am PST) which is a fair time IMO.
This past weekend Amazon had new supply between 3-330 EST (12-1230 PST). I believe Target has done stealth drops around that time and around store openings EST (as they do a lot of pickups). You're right about how little it matters for most people, but those who chase do have their best shot in the minute or two before it gets tweeted out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You put your name down and eventually you get it once you reach the top of the queue.
Not that I've seen in Canada. If you're lucky you can buy something via pre-order, but even that sells out. Some places will give you opportunity to sign up for alerts its available. Then you got to rush and log in hoping it's still in stock.

A queue list like yours seems more like a pre-order list, but it sounds like a giant indefinite list anyone can sign up to no matter what.

bitbydeath

Not that I've seen in Canada. If you're lucky you can buy something via pre-order, but even that sells out. Some places will give you opportunity to sign up for alerts its available. Then you got to rush and log in hoping it's still in stock.

A queue list like yours seems more like a pre-order list, but it sounds like a giant indefinite list anyone can sign up to no matter what.
Yep and it’s carried out on an individual store basis and not a retail chain so you don’t have to wait that long unless you’re pre-ordering from a city.

Zeroing

Banned
I am still waiting and I am calm about it.... I still do not see a reason to get one yet

They need to institute a pre-order type ticket system. So when it's your turn to buy, you are notified instead of this first come first serve tripe.

one of the biggest stores here in Portugal do that. You give the money you get the receipt and when it´s available on stock it is yours... If in 15 days they cannot secure you a console, they will return your money or ask if you want to wait.

saintjules

Yeah, stores here in New York (at least in my area) aren't doing that. It makes a whole lot of sense. Take names down. As you get more allocations by Sony, call the individuals. They have 24 hours to get their unit or it goes to the next person.

Also

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Holy cow! You solved the problem! It's so obvious in hindsight. Contact Sony ASAP!
And? Of course it's obvious. Everyone knew there'd be low supply and more than likely we wouldn't be able to get a regular purchase until end of 21 or 22. People are still bitching because they can't get a luxury item. Yes there are bots that rapid buy them up, but that isn't new. Adding lotteries or whatnot still isn't 100% fool proof. Only thing anyone can do if they want one is to be on the look out for when things get restocked and be able to go from store to store on a moment's notice.

VAVA Mk2

Series X bundles were on sale still about 30 to 40 minutes later...if you wanted a $700 bundle. They are gone now.

NickFire

Yeah, stores here in New York (at least in my area) aren't doing that. It makes a whole lot of sense. Take names down. As you get more allocations by Sony, call the individuals. They have 24 hours to get their unit or it goes to the next person.

Also

I saw that reported somewhere else too. Not really a shock because its just calendar math. Even if they could meet the demand in another month or two, we would be getting close to Xmas again.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
For me they were available for awhile but it was that "All access" scam where they make you pay full price for GP. I already have it until 2024 so I bought the series X only elsewhere and I received it yesterday.

(looks over at PS5 on the desk I'm typing at)

charlton heston laughing GIF

But serious, I hope you get one soon buddy!

The rant seems misplaced the retailers aren't really responsible.

However, one solution retailers could implement to help calm the situation is to allow for post-launch pre-0orders that require a valid email, phonenumber, and registration login for Gamestop.com or Bestbuy .com etc

by doing this people can order ahead they can allocate the stock in order of request by date.

I don't fucking get this shit.

How difficult is it to have stock in store and have a limit of only 1 unit per customer. Have users setup an account prior to store visit, allot each customer a time slot for collection and let that be the end of it.

We'll be getting stock of PS5's in 2 months here in NZ. This next wave of stock better go smoothly or I'm going to lose it.

The rant seems misplaced the retailers aren't really responsible.

However, one solution retailers could implement to help calm the situation is to allow for post-launch pre-0orders that require a valid email, phonenumber, and registration login for Gamestop.com or Bestbuy .com etc

by doing this people can order ahead they can allocate the stock in order of request by date.
Also fucking THIS

Which is basically what I said LOL

Fucking scalper motherfuckers.

Last edited:

Susurrus

I want a PS5, but not enough to play these fuck-boi games of trying to track them down and figure the right time to click buy button or order at 3AM, much less buy from douchey scalpers. My backlog is stoopid large, so I can wait it out. Hell, I'm about 19 hours in on Move-enabled Okami HD on PS3.

nerdface

Banned
I was trying today, but I really can’t afford it this week, so I’m half-relieved.

I just try to remember it’s gonna happen. There will be day when they are everywhere again.

Exoil

Here in Sweden some stores a having a raffle where you sign up for the chance to get a code which lets you buy a PS5.

That seems like the best way to do it to counter much of the scalper issue I'd say.

Top Bottom