• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Gamestop batch of PS5 and Series X and guess what? -- Sold out within in 2 to 15 minutes. Stores need to come up with ways to fix this!!

Tmack

For me SONY and MS should have an official sale of overpriced consoles to couter re-sellers.

Consoles whould still be sold at MSRP but people whould have to donate X for charity.

Example, you could by anytime go to their official store and buy a PS5 or Series X for 900 USD.... but 400 would go to charity.

That way you reduce re-sellers sales and help those in need.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Few months back i used StockX to get a 3D Pulse headset and had no issues at all. Got my product within 4 days too. Paid $129 instead of $99, but honestly i didn't think was that big of a deal to get what i needed hassle free.
I am seriously considering this route when they come down to mid $600 or less. This year doesn't look that good in the supply chain, and I'm no longer a late night owl to randomly check drops.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No they don't....

The store needs to come up with a way to fix people buying stuff? Oh the store needs to fix how much Sony and MS send them?

Nah..... that is out of the hands of Gamestop. I see no way they can be blamed for something like this....

sn0man

My point in this rant is that stores need to come up with ways to stop this madness and come up with ways to stop it. One major way this will stop is to force us to go to the store to ensure that we are real and to ensure that we only get one system.
Yeah for all the video cards, xboxen, and PS5s it would be very simple if you could just go to the store, present some ID and put down a reservation for one. I’d have done that months ago and been happy to wait until now or even summer to get one.

SegaShack

The rant seems misplaced the retailers aren't really responsible.

However, one solution retailers could implement to help calm the situation is to allow for post-launch pre-0orders that require a valid email, phonenumber, and registration login for Gamestop.com or Bestbuy .com etc

by doing this people can order ahead they can allocate the stock in order of request by date.
Scalpers would just get in on this too. Method doesn't matter unless they want to do 1 per person IN PERSON only.

As long as its online people will have no problem making new emails and buying forwarding addresses etc.

YES, THIS IS A RANT, I NEED TO GET SOMETHING OFF MY CHEST.

Okay let me start off with I was close to getting one, did the tips and tricks that was provided from a tweet, and was not lucky with the PS5 but for some reason, I got lucky with the Xbox Series X bundle, I did not want it because I already have the Series S and right now I don't think it's necessary for me to even get a Series, X. (Not going to lie, I was really close and clicking the final check out) But this is what I see wrong with all this that is happening, and what I think needs to change in order for the bullshit to end where people can still buy more than one system. How do I know this, well under the thread that was posted on Twitter? Some users were posting that they were able to get two systems and had screenshots of them. (You may be asking proof well I can't because some ended up deleing it because people reported them or attacked them and they probably ended up deleting it)

My point in this rant is that stores need to come up with ways to stop this madness and come up with ways to stop it. One major way this will stop is to force us to go to the store to ensure that we are real and to ensure that we only get one system. I'm sorry but at the rate, we are going with global supplies not picking upstream and could take more months. I think they need to do that. How is it still possible that a console that is available from the time of it being available goes out of stock in such a short time and keep in mind, some stores do waiting periods online to somehow stop the bots and people buying up more than one but at this time it needs to be sent to store and pick up. Until they are more widely available to purchase without all this damn headache.

End rant, I have given up on the search to get a PS5 and will just enjoy what I have in front of me and just wait till they become more available because this is fucking ridiculous. I don't know how anyone feels about it but it's sort of frustrating.
Yeah Sony and MS are going to get a lot of us, like myself not even caring any more. I was a big PS fan, but since my ps4 broke and couldn't get, and still can't get a ps5 i said screw it and built a new pc (got the gpu 2 days before the shortage started). Now I am not even looking and may wait a year if they don't start getting their shit togeather.

I am damn sick and tired of:
SCALPERS --- GREEDY Fn Scalpers- - F yourselves.
Miners - Go get a real job, stop mooching off someone elses electricity to earn $5 a /day.
Bots - Gobots were lame, go jump off a cliff assholes.
Retailers- Your online stores suck donkey d. Improve your webesites, offer queue systems and call backs like eVga does for graphics cards. How fn hard is this?
Sony, MS, AMD, Nvidia. --- stock the damn stores already. You are just as guilty. Stores are open, don't let scalpers and bots take advantage. If you stock stores and limit 1 per customer, guess what Scalpers can't pull their shit as easily. Maybe people like me and op will actually get one.
Buyers -- You are just as much to blame. STOP BUYING FROM SCALPERS!! you are part of the problem. Stop buying multiple consoles, let others get one greedy sobs.

These companies maybe racking up the dough now, but it's going to bite them when real gamers can't get products and games stop selling. What good is x ps5s or 3000 series cards when most are sitting in scalper homes or warehouses for sale instead of in actual gamers hands? I also predict the attach rate is horrible. Who is going to buy a bunch of games on day 1 when they are having to spen 1k plus for a console.

Yeah, Im mad. I mad that I have tried every drop since pre-order and get it in my cart everytime only to have it taken away by a bloody asshole scapler. Walmart is the worst. Amazon i never see stocked, nor best buy.

Last few drops I didn't even bother. It's nto worth wasting a whole day trying every 30 minutes to get jack shit.
If it wasn't for demons souls (my fav game) and my broken ps4 and games I can't play, want to finish ghosts of tushima, etc... I wouldn't even care.
Going back to playing on Switch and PC and Quest 2.

Last edited:
Yeah it does suck, and you would think there is some way to counter this.

I think one way is for the platform holders to try to put more pressure on them to come up with a better system. Because both Sony and MS can sale them thru their own websites.

Sony has the queue system and one per household limit. I think the household limit might help. The queue system does work, if you can get thru. And even with that there are ways to get better odds at getting thru the queue faster.
What queue system. I haven't seen shit. Someone told me to go to the the sony store or ps store site, but it just shows the bloody things sold out. no sign up button anywhere.
I have been a ps plus member since ps3/psp era. They should of emailed me about this shit, as i heard others got emails, but I guess I am old school and not their fortnite/microtransaction/woke audience so they could care less.

The rant seems misplaced the retailers aren't really responsible.

However, one solution retailers could implement to help calm the situation is to allow for post-launch pre-0orders that require a valid email, phonenumber, and registration login for Gamestop.com or Bestbuy .com etc

by doing this people can order ahead they can allocate the stock in order of request by date.
I don't understand why this isn't done.

I loved how gamestop handled ps4 launch. I paid for it 3 months a head of time in store. They put me down as paid. On launch day, I showed up as I was guaranteed a spot for doing that, and I was in and out at 12 midnight and back home in 30 minutes setting up my console. They didn't do shit this time. They could of done this. Should do it now. Have a queue, Evga does it. You may wait months, but at least you don't have to spend hours wasting time on walmart.com for false hope when things drop and they steal from your cart.

The reason why you barely see them in-store compared to online is due to the absolute crazy demand. Whenever my store would get a batch in, and I mean about 3-5 systems, we would have dozens (if not around 100) people waiting outside just before we opened. To which we would tell people we only had a handful but of course This leads to fights (there was four total at my store since launch). And as an associate I would get harassed daily “oh you’re just hiding them in the back!” “You guys are assholes and have ruined our Christmas” “I don’t believe you, I want to speak to your manager”

it was fucking hell before it switched to online only.
Wait your store only got 4 units. WTF.

I was going to say the same thing. The MSRP should have been much higher out of the gate. Instead of being $400 and $500, the price should have been something like $600 and $800.

Even better, the MSRP should have been $700 and $900. I'm sure that would have discouraged most people from buying the system with the intention of reselling it. Less resellers = console much easier to obtain.
I would of told them to F off and not even bothered. Thats pc money, and I already have that. Thats one way to loose the console war for sure and piss off buyers. I take it you don't remember the ps3 launch?

would it be the same if everyone wasn’t stuck home because of covid?
No I doubt it.
What do you mean, thats been long done. The roads are full of traffic everyday. I haven't stopped working 1 day. No one I know is out of work anymore. IF you were talking last summer I would of agreed but not now.

Sejan

For me SONY and MS should have an official sale of overpriced consoles to couter re-sellers.

Consoles whould still be sold at MSRP but people whould have to donate X for charity.

Example, you could by anytime go to their official store and buy a PS5 or Series X for 900 USD.... but 400 would go to charity.

That way you reduce re-sellers sales and help those in need.
The easier solution would be for Sony/MS to allow back ordering consoles through an active PS or MS account. If everyone one knew they could order one at MSRP and receive it in a few months, it would really cut into the market of scalpers. It would force prices down more and faster than anything else.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s a dumbass myth to think any more than a small fraction are going to scalpers.

They are largely going to gamers.. who pay more attention to things than the people failing.

Sounds fair to me.

Last edited:

soulbait

They need to institute a pre-order type ticket system. So when it's your turn to buy, you are notified instead of this first come first serve tripe.

But how does that benefit the store who does a system like that? To the stores, they make the same money either way. It takes money to create systems like these, and new consoles are only every s so often, so the ROI on building a system like that does not seem that big for them. I work in the e-commerce field. Building systems like these are not the cheapest thing to do.

Look, I get it that this all sucks, but unless the business knows that somehow creating these custom systems would give them an uptick in business in the future, they really have no need to create them: they will sell the consoles either way. With more and more games being sold digitally, goodwill from a system like this really isn't going to result in more game sales for that store.

Scalpers suck, and I hope something can happen that will make it a lot harder for them, but not sure how much a business is willing to invest in something like this without any guarantee that they will make more money from it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What is their incentive to do so? They will sell the consoles either way, so what do they gain by creating a system like that?
Yes they would sale more because it would stop customers for looking for it elsewhere and it would gain mind share with their customers.

Allforce

It took a little effort to get my first PS5 (I think mine arrived Xmas Eve) but after that it has seemed to get much easier with each drop to grab one.

It's honestly been a needed boon these last few months, can make a decent chunk of change with little effort besides being able to hop on a PC when the time comes.

Top Bottom