• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be a save file issue with Death Stranding on the PS5

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
You'll have too many of them and you won't be able to delete them.
One of the biggest issues with Death Stranding on the PS4 was the save files. The game
constantly makes save files and it does not overwrite any of them, so instead of deleting old
saves and making new ones, it will keep all the saves until you can have over 50 save files that
takes 1GB just for one game.

The issue wasn't really a major problem on the PS4 because you could just go into the save
data folder and choose individual files to delete. This isn't possible on the PS5. On the PS5, you
can't delete individual save files of a game. So if you choose to delete a PS5 game save file, it'll
delete everything in the folder.

Unless they patch the game so that you can manage and delete save files in the game itself,
prepare to have multiple undeletable saves that can really balloon your save data storage both
on your PS5 and the PS Cloud online storage, especially if you like making manual saves.
I iust started a new game, only a couple hours in and my save data for Death Stranding is
already taking up 860mb

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well now we can install an additional SSD, so the console storage isn't a huge scare. Clogging up your cloud storage though could be a problem.

tommib

zveiAPi.jpg
Yeap, mine’s already at 600 mb.

tommib

Holy shit.

Is that after playing or is that just from transferring your save? I transferred my save and that's it last night. I should check it later.
After transfer. No idea how much it was before. I was at 30% trophies on PS4 if that helps.

Last edited:

nowhat

Holy shit.

Is that after playing or is that just from transferring your save? I transferred my save and that's it last night. I should check it later.
I got Driveclub when it (finally, in a very limited form) arrived on PS+. Played honestly like a couple of races, wasn't really my thing. The save was 400+ MB, that's just insane.

Aenima

Only works for PS4 games. For some reason native PS5 games save files cant be individual selected. For example if a game has 10 manual save files stored, on PS4 you can select and delete 1 by 1, on a native PS5 game you will only see 1 safe file and if you wanted to delete 9 of the manual save files to keep just 1 manual save file to save space, you cant. You either delete it and lose all ur save files for that game or u keep it.

This is something that should be adressed because some games go crazy with the auto save files and by the time u finish ur game you dont really need so many save files taking up space.

The good thing is that the cloud storage is now bigger since you have 100GB for PS4 games and another 100GB for PS5 games since they are stored in separate.

Last edited:

tommib

Well I'm hoping the game starts to delete old saves. There has to be a cap on the save file size/number of saves, right?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Well I'm hoping the game starts to delete old saves. There has to be a cap on the save file size/number of saves, right?
There isn’t the game never Overwrites any old saves and they game has 2 automatic save files types auto save and checkpoints plus everytime You do a manual save it’s a new save while keeping all your old ones

Skyfox

I've just started this for the first time on PS5 and memory is expensive. This could make the game essentially unplayable. There must be a fix!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Yea I saw this concern on Reddit.

I believe this will be an easy fix via updates.

skit_data

I deleted the autosave file yesterday from save management in system settings (my GF wanted us to play it together and I started playing all by myself) and I did notice it was pretty big. It was around 170mb large and a prompt came up ”do you want to delete all of these files?” which I hadn’t experienced before.

A bit strange to have the option for one and not the other in the same OS
The PS5 OS has no folders, so nothing like this surprises me at this point.

I would have preferred it if they added the PS5 libraries in the backend of the PS4 OS and shipped out with a new skin... That would have prevented regressions like these, I mean even the store is strange now.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Well now we can install an additional SSD, so the console storage isn't a huge scare. Clogging up your cloud storage though could be a problem.

Here's something some people may not know about cloud storage on PSN, even though you have 100GB or whatever, you actually have a file limit of 1000 files.

I hit it a few week back

Withnail

A bit strange to have the option for one and not the other in the same OS

PS5 saves are a new format, probably because the PS4 save format was completely compromised by hackers.

Same reason PS5 games couldn't read PS4 save files until Sony updated the SDK with a translation library.

Hopefully the same save management utilities will come to the PS5 but it's not a copy and paste job from what they had before.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't ever use save transfer options... I play the game to replay it. Achievements and stuff carry over anyway.

Top Bottom