• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

There will be no pre-release review copies of No Man's Sky prior to launch

DeathSparks

Aug 31, 2015
twitter.com
According to Opencritic, several major publications have reported to them that they won't be receiving No Man's Sky review copies prior to launch.

For a game like this I can understand why as they're making people avoid as many spoilers as possible. Sadly there's no reason as to why they aren't handing out review copies but I think that's the reason because spoilers are out there already.

Remind me if this is old

Source: https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760174294978605056

Update: There will be review copies but in the case of advanced copies (Pre-Launch) there will be none as far as I know. However, there is a possibility that this could happen but I don't know.

Update 2: Opencritic is happy to confirm that No Man's Sky will indeed have advanced review copies planned for later this week

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Release is going to be a shit show, and it's not going to have anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

For some reason, people just go crazy where this game is concerned. I don't get it, man.

KOCMOHABT

Nov 14, 2013
kosmonautblog.wordpress.com
I mean the whole "spoiler" thing is a bit ... weak? since the game is not really story driven, right?

Apart from that, because of all the hype and publisher marketing the game has the problem now that it's not really perceived as Indie / small budget any more and has to conform to higher standards. Which I'm not sure it does.

KingBroly

Banned
Mar 18, 2015
Yeah...never a good sign.

Although Doom was quite good despite no review copies before launch.

Dec 5, 2009
If spoilers (whatever they are) are already out there, what would be the point in withholding review copies to prevent spoilers from leaking? Doesn't this kind of situation usually happen because the publisher has no confidence in there being positive reviews?

BreezyLimbo

Banned
Jul 11, 2014
Hm...

I could understand for a multiplayer game, or even DOOM which was galvanized prerelease. Maybe they are working on a day 1 patch?

SuperBanana

Banned
May 22, 2015
After Jeff Gerstmann's not so subtle stab at the game for not having much substance this doesn't bode well.

Mattenth

Feb 10, 2014
San Francisco, CA
opencritic.com
The subject line is false. I guess nuance isn't possible on Twitter.

We aren't claiming there are NO review copies, just that many publications have been told they won't be getting them until launch day.

It's entirely possible that critics or publications that we don't have relationships with have received copies or will receive advanced copies. Though at this point, we cover several dozen publications.

Multiple sources confirmed this morning that Sony will be giving them a copy on launch day, which is concerning and thus the point of the Tweet.

But right now, all signs pointing to very limited pre-release reviews.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Aug 7, 2013
New York, NY
Too be fair, Doom 4 didn't have review copies either. But that's the sole exception to the rule, pretty much.
Release is going to be a shit show, and it's not going to have anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

For some reason, people just go crazy where this game is concerned. I don't get it, man.

It's because every since Sony started hyping it at their conferences you have a lot of people acting like the people in panel 2 and a lot of people assuming it's going to turn out like the rest of the comic.

Anton Sugar

Jul 26, 2007
What's with the developer concern over spoilers? It seems strange that a game like this has "spoilers" considering the millions of possiblities that are out there.

N.Domixis

Banned
May 30, 2013
"I couldn't figure out what to do 1/10!"
-reviewer

lol jk, this has me worried. Will wait for reviews just in case.

Shikoba

Sep 13, 2013
Not even for pc copies? Damn it! I hate this non existant information regarding the pc release.

CHC

Aug 24, 2012
This is false. I guess nuance isn't possible on Twitter.

We aren't claiming there are NO review copies, just that many publications have been told they won't be getting them until launch day.

It's entirely possible that critics or publications that we don't have relationships with have received copies or will receive advanced copies. Though at this point, we cover several dozen publications.

But right now, all signs pointing to very limited pre-release reviews.
Good to know.

I've seen enough from leaked streams to know I'll be getting the game as soon as it comes out, but it's too bad there won't be an abundance of official word on how things turned out. Even still, I'm sure there will be a few reviews. Unlike other people here I don't get the impression that Hello Games is ashamed of something or hiding a big dirty secret, it's probably more a case of them having a hard enough time self-publishing to worry about working this in.

Nzyme32

May 23, 2013
This is perfectly fine for PC. They haven't said a thing yet regarding it outside of the fact it will launch day and date with PS4.........

wait....