• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no pre-release review copies of No Man's Sky prior to launch

According to Opencritic, several major publications have reported to them that they won't be receiving No Man's Sky review copies prior to launch.

For a game like this I can understand why as they're making people avoid as many spoilers as possible. Sadly there's no reason as to why they aren't handing out review copies but I think that's the reason because spoilers are out there already.

Remind me if this is old

Source: https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/760174294978605056

Update: There will be review copies but in the case of advanced copies (Pre-Launch) there will be none as far as I know. However, there is a possibility that this could happen but I don't know.

0705b6ab99aa9e03943ced30d4778148.png

0eb6081629c5f3bcf62fa18e25dda631.png

Update 2: Opencritic is happy to confirm that No Man's Sky will indeed have advanced review copies planned for later this week

db5b13c913c86c2b22b2ddcdc42f13a8.png

Lanrutcon

Release is going to be a shit show, and it's not going to have anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

For some reason, people just go crazy where this game is concerned. I don't get it, man.

KOCMOHABT

I mean the whole "spoiler" thing is a bit ... weak? since the game is not really story driven, right?

Apart from that, because of all the hype and publisher marketing the game has the problem now that it's not really perceived as Indie / small budget any more and has to conform to higher standards. Which I'm not sure it does.

If spoilers (whatever they are) are already out there, what would be the point in withholding review copies to prevent spoilers from leaking? Doesn't this kind of situation usually happen because the publisher has no confidence in there being positive reviews?

Hm...

I could understand for a multiplayer game, or even DOOM which was galvanized prerelease. Maybe they are working on a day 1 patch?

Carl

If spoilers (whatever they are) are already out there, what would be the point in withholding review copies to prevent spoilers from leaking? Doesn't this kind of situation usually happen because the publisher has no confidence in there being positive reviews?

Spoilers is a stupid reason for holding back review copies anyway

Mattenth

The subject line is false. I guess nuance isn't possible on Twitter.

We aren't claiming there are NO review copies, just that many publications have been told they won't be getting them until launch day.

It's entirely possible that critics or publications that we don't have relationships with have received copies or will receive advanced copies. Though at this point, we cover several dozen publications.

Multiple sources confirmed this morning that Sony will be giving them a copy on launch day, which is concerning and thus the point of the Tweet.

But right now, all signs pointing to very limited pre-release reviews.

muzzymate

Most not even receiving review copies prior to launch? I can understand day of embargos for online games but damn, son.

Too be fair, Doom 4 didn't have review copies either. But that's the sole exception to the rule, pretty much.
Release is going to be a shit show, and it's not going to have anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

For some reason, people just go crazy where this game is concerned. I don't get it, man.
HsD3beL.gif

It's because every since Sony started hyping it at their conferences you have a lot of people acting like the people in panel 2 and a lot of people assuming it's going to turn out like the rest of the comic.

What's with the developer concern over spoilers? It seems strange that a game like this has "spoilers" considering the millions of possiblities that are out there.

N.Domixis

Banned
"I couldn't figure out what to do 1/10!"
-reviewer

lol jk, this has me worried. Will wait for reviews just in case.

CHC

This is false. I guess nuance isn't possible on Twitter.

We aren't claiming there are NO review copies, just that many publications have been told they won't be getting them until launch day.

It's entirely possible that critics or publications that we don't have relationships with have received copies or will receive advanced copies. Though at this point, we cover several dozen publications.

But right now, all signs pointing to very limited pre-release reviews.

Good to know.

I've seen enough from leaked streams to know I'll be getting the game as soon as it comes out, but it's too bad there won't be an abundance of official word on how things turned out. Even still, I'm sure there will be a few reviews. Unlike other people here I don't get the impression that Hello Games is ashamed of something or hiding a big dirty secret, it's probably more a case of them having a hard enough time self-publishing to worry about working this in.

Nzyme32

This is perfectly fine for PC. They haven't said a thing yet regarding it outside of the fact it will launch day and date with PS4.........

wait....

Top Bottom