• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There won't be 3DS or Vita versions of FIFA 16

Vashetti

Banned
Yesterday, EA announced that FIFA 16 would be the first title in the series to have women teams. That's not the bad bit, by the way, that's very good.

Afterwards, we reached out to EA to find out if we can expect FIFA 16 on handhelds and mobile. The response won't please you.

"With regards to FIFA 16 there isn't a Vita or 3DS version," an EA representative told us.

"We don't have any further detail on the mobile version but will be sure to share with you when we hear more."

There was both a 3DS and PS Vita version of last year's FIFA 15. So this means that EA has made the decision to avoid releasing the series on those two handhelds starting this year.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/FIFA+16/news.asp?c=65623

oldmario

don't you mean FIFA 12 op?

everything after 12 was just a roster update so it was pretty much the same game

flohen95

They've only made roster update ("Legacy Edition") versions since Fifa 12 anyway, no? Not like many people would miss this then.

TomShoe

Banned
Gee, I wonder why. I wonder how simply updating the rosters and uniforms and releasing it digital only would not be worth the cost.

don't you mean FIFA 12 op?

everything after 12 was just a roster update so it was pretty much the same game

oooooh kill em

EDIT: BTW is the online mode for the most recent FIFA that had online mode working?

Well, I play football game every year but I never wanted to play it on my Vita. Football games are better with joystick and TV imo.

cyba89

No point supporting legacy devices.

51GDHjoFW7L._SY300_.jpg

TheMoon

But are they still doing a Wii version? FIFA 15 (Legacy Edition aka FIFA 12) still landed on Wii ...so how 'bout dat FIFA 12-IV? :)

Takao

Banned
It looks like EA has retired the "Legacy Edition" releases for FIFA this year. It makes sense, I suppose. The big marketed addition to this year's game is the women's teams. That's not a gameplay change they can just wave off. That would actually require them to spend money to insert them into the 3DS, Wii and Vita builds. So the options are spend the money to include them in versions of the games EA couldn't care less about, release it without the women and potentially face backlash for that, or just not release a version on those platforms.

But are they still doing a Wii version? FIFA 15 (Legacy Edition aka FIFA 12) still landed on Wii ...so how 'bout dat FIFA 12-IV? :)

Doesn't look like it.

Ok so no 3DS and Vita, but what about a Wii one?

If I were Nintendo, out of sheer pride, I would've never granted EA the licensing to release a legacy edition FIFA for Wii when they were skipping the goddamned WiiU altogether! And this happened twice with FIFA 14 & 15: Wii was in, WiiU was out.

That's gotta be a punch in the gut for Nintendo and their "unprecedented" partnership with EA.

Bruno MB

FIFA 14 was the last title in the series for the past generation of dedicated handheld consoles since it was still released on PlayStation Portable. FIFA 15 was the last title for the current generation, it's quite amusing when you think about it.

Afrikan

why not chage $10 for DLC/patch with Roster updates and abilty to still play online?

Probably because they would want to charge $20+ :/

Ok so no 3DS and Vita, but what about a Wii one?

If I were Nintendo, out of sheer pride, I would've never granted EA the licensing to release a legacy edition FIFA for Wii when they were skipping the goddamned WiiU altogether! And this happened twice with FIFA 14 & 15: Wii was in, WiiU was out.

That's gotta be a punch in the gut for Nintendo and their "unprecedented" partnership with EA.

Legally they can't stopb them, there has to be a standard set of procedure that any publisher can follow

PS2 still selling in poorer countries, no way they leave that money on the table.
Even konami release a PS2 PES and they don't even want to support current gen anymore.
FIFA 14 was the last one on PS2 though.

That's 14 FIFAs, not counting World Cup editions, released uninterrupted on a single home console. Compare that to the measly 6 FIFAs the Gamecube got! That PS2 record I don't see anyone breaking anytime soon.

Eila

That's 14 FIFAs, not counting World Cup editions, released uninterrupted on a single home console. Compare that to the measly 6 FIFAs the Gamecube got! That PS2 record I don't see anyone breaking anytime soon.

It's been on PC since 96 :p but I don't think you can run FIFA 16 on windows 95.

Santiako

I could see FIFA 20 on the 360. That'd make 15 FIFA main games.

Skyzard

Banned
Not too bummed, fifa 13 is really good on Vita. 14 was a re-skin iirc. Didn't even know there was a Fifa 15 on vita but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

You could probably get by with the demo for it if you're not big on the teams and players aspect.

Arzehn

The Show is next.

Actually the vita version has more ratings (reviews on psn) than the ps3 version:

PS4 - 2764 Ratings
PS3 - 114 Ratings
Vita - 277 Ratings

It's not the best judge and sometimes the ratings reset back to 0, which could have very well happened, but it's something. 10% of the PS4 ratings is probably a decent ratio.

Oersted

Not too bummed, fifa 13 is really good on Vita. 14 was a re-skin iirc. Didn't even know there was a Fifa 15 on vita but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

You could probably get by with the demo for it if you're not big on the teams and players aspect.

They were all reskins of the first entries.

Skyzard

Banned
They were all reskins of the first entries.

Yeah, I totally forgot there was Fifa Football on vita, before fifa 13 but iirc the performance was improved quite a bit in 13, but yeah didn't have the big advancements that the console versions got - I think some ball control physics improved for consoles that the Vita didn't get.

Top Bottom