• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theres gonna be less 1st Party PS5 exclusives in 2022 then 2020 and 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloko85

Atm it seems like 2022 will have no PS5 1st Party exclusives. Whereas in 2020 and 2021 we got some great games.

In 2020 there was: Demon Souls, Astrobot ( Aswell as other Crossgen/PS4 1st party exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Spider-man MM, Sackboy etc )

In 2021 we got Returnal, Ratchet & Clank and Destruction All Stars (2021) all are PS5 1st party exclusives.

But in 2022 all the 1st party games announced are Cross gen games. God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2 and Gran Turismo 7.
Even though Gran Turismo 7 was later made crossgen unlike GOW-R and Horizon 2 were built up cross gen.

Is this the first time its happened in console history?

Not gonna lie, Ive prefered the start of the PS5 generation way more than PS4’s slow start.
Better 1st year exclusives and being able to play the crossgen and PS4 games I left out ( Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spiderman, TLOU2, Final Fantasy 7 remake etc ) on 60fps/ faster loading has been great. But I think out of everything this is the dumbest move by Playstation to not have any 1st Party PS5 Exclusives in 2022.

Yes theres gonna be plenty of exclusives like Final Fantasy 16, Forspoken, Sifu, Stray etc but they really need some 1st party PS5 only games. Will there be any 1st party surprises?

NahaNago

Well that's weird. I would have figured at least one straight up next gen 1st party exclusive would happen. Probably something small that hasn't been annouced yet or vr.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But I think out of everything this is the dumbest move by Playstation to not have any 1st Party PS5 Exclusives in 2022.

The PS5 has been out almost a year and they're still selling out every restock. The dumbest move ever would be to leave behind the install base of over 100,000,000 PS4 users who still can't even get a PS5. They aren't losing hardware sales by having more games go cross-gen.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Atm it seems like 2022 will have no PS5 1st Party exclusives. Whereas in 2020 and 2021 we got some great games.

In 2020 there was: Demon Souls, Astrobot ( Aswell as other Crossgen/PS4 1st party exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Spider-man MM, Sackboy etc )

In 2021 we got Returnal, Ratchet & Clank and Destruction All Stars (2021) all are PS5 1st party exclusives.

But in 2022 all the 1st party games announced are Cross gen games. God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2 and Gran Turismo 7.
Even though Gran Turismo 7 was later made crossgen unlike GOW-R and Horizon 2 were built up cross gen.

Not gonna lie, Ive prefered the start of the PS5 generation way more than PS4’s slow start.
Better 1st year exclusives and being able to play the crossgen and PS4 games I left out ( Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spiderman, TLOU2, Final Fantasy 7 remake etc ) on 60fps/ faster loading has been great. But I think out of everything this is the dumbest move by Playstation to not have any 1st Party PS5 Exclusives in 2022.

Yes theres gonna be plenty of exclusives like Final Fantasy 16, Forspoken, Sifu, Stray etc but they really need some 1st party PS5 only games. Will there be any 1st party surprises?
its covid, and short of PS5 supply, i mean what can Sony do?

Topher

Gold Member
Personally, I'm looking forward to Horizon Forbidden West and God of War more than I was to the PS5 exclusives we've had so far. But I'm also not fussed about cross-gen games that much at all, frankly.

Last edited:

martino

You're making a big deal of something unimportant imo....
And i'm confident horizon/god of war will look better than those ps5 exclusives.
(and i still think DS can release on ps4 )

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They aren't losing hardware sales by having more games go cross-gen.

Having exclusives is a great reason to buy a new console.
I dont remember Sony still releasing cross gen 1st party games in PS3’s 3rd year while PS2 had a 155m install base.

Why not make Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet & Clank Cross gen too in that case?

Woopah

Its a matter of popularity.

GoW2, Horizon 2 and GT7 are all way bigger than any PS5 exclusive so far. There could be a PS5 exclusive if something smaller gets announced between now and the end of 2022 (which is certainly possible).

Kokoloko85

So you don’t mind the whole of the next gen being cross gen friendly?

I don’t think Im making a big deal, its just an observation. Its not like Im not gonna buy these games.

Just wish there was some PS5 1st party exclusives like how PS1,PS2,PS3 and PS4 did it. And probably every other console before

Kokoloko85

And i'm confident horizon/god of war will look better than those ps5 exclusives.
(and i still think DS can release on ps4 )

Im sure they will look better and play better for sure. Ive felt the difference with titles like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Death Stranding being on the PS5. Glad I waited.

But its important to have PS5 only exclusives too. Especially coming into the 3rd year

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I dont remember Sony still releasing cross gen 1st party games in PS3’s 3rd year while PS2 had a 155m install base.

Why not make Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet & Clank Cross gen too in that case?
you are right, but PS5 is in shortsupply, and don't forget, with all these crossgen games, PS5 still in high demand, Sony has no reason do release all games on PS5 only

martino

I don’t think Im making a big deal, its just an observation. Its not like Im not gonna buy these games.

Just wish there was some PS5 1st party exclusives like how PS1,PS2,PS3 and PS4 did it. And probably every other console before
I was and am always in team thing will scale until major engine changes are ready using more shader/ML/RT approach
and i still think it will happen late in the gen
Until then cross is not really a problem

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Gt7 was crossgen probably from the beginning according to latest interview with Kaz

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It is, but exclusives are not what's currently keeping the PS5 out of stock. Most people don't care, they just want a hardware upgrade after ~6 years with the same machine. My boss just snagged a PS5 and is currently playing... FIFA and COD. If a game comes out on PS4 before they can get that upgrade, they'll buy it, and maybe even pay the $10 upgrade fee on games like GT7 and GoW2 to replay it later.

Those 3 games were more than likely too far along into development to just "make them" cross-gen since they always seem to have been planned as full exclusives. I'm not sure if you even could make RnC work properly on a PS4, we're all speculating - but it does feel very much as though the stock shortage made Sony reconsider a few games that were early enough in development that they could tell the developers to start working on simultaneous PS4 versions.

Exclusives are important, but they're not that important, especially if they're still being played in the same family. Microsoft don't give a shit that I won't buy an Xbox because they have me subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate for PC.

mejin

Too early to say anything.

Sony covered the 1st half with delayed games, the 2nd half is still open.

It could be a year where the partners will be the star for PS5, timed exclusive or acting as 2nd party.

But we do know Sony usually doesn't launch any big game after september and they also work to complement the 3rd party support.

All in all, 2022 will be really strong for PS5, but you're thinking too much on "it doesn't count list" imo.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
To be fair most of the games I'm playing in my PS5 are just improved versions of PS4 games.

I do wish God of War and Horizon Forbidden West where not being limited by the older hardware though, Sony have essentially created a situation where they have the same issue as Microsoft having the Xbox Series S going forward.

KAL2006

Banned
I think it's rather stupid to compare a previous generation to the current generation. Every generation is different. This generation is one of the first times where we are using the same architecture as the previous generations so cross gen will naturally be more prominent. Also Sony has already released a few next gen only games this year. And I assume next year they will use 3rd party deals to cover next gen only games with Forpoken, Final Fantasy 16 and Ghostwire Tokyo, even though all those games look like they can run on PS4. You also have to consider alot of games such as Gran Turismo 7 should have released this year but were delayed to next year. And I assume some of the next gen only stuff next year has shifted to 2023. So covid has had a impact on release schedule.

Topher

Gold Member
To be fair most of the games I'm playing in my PS5 are just improved versions of PS4 games.

I do wish God of War and Horizon Forbidden West where not being limited by the older hardware though, Sony have essentially created a situation where they have the same issue as Microsoft having the Xbox Series S going forward.

Disagree. I think the Series S thing is overstated personally, but that isn't the same at all. Sony has not committed itself to PS4 like Microsoft has committed itself to Series S. There will be PS5 exclusives and Sony will leave PS4 behind at some point. Microsoft is not leaving Series S behind and there will be no Series X exclusives.

Last edited:

Closer

Maybe it's Sony stopping annoucing games years ahead of its release. Either way, I'm not counting on Sony being idle, so I'm sure games are coming.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Disagree. I think the Series S thing is overstated personally, but that isn't the same at all. Sony has not committed itself to PS4 like Microsoft has committed itself to Series S. There will be PS5 exclusives and Sony will leave PS4 behind at some point. Microsoft is not leaving Series S behind and there will be no Series X exclusives.

I remeber when Microsoft said they where not leaving the kinect behind and that's why it was included with every xbox one, including my launch day console.

Maybe Microsoft won't leave the S behind officially but I won't be surprised in a year or two when games are unplayable on the S console just like Nintendo 3DS titles when they played fine on New 3DS but where essentially unplayable on the older model (10-15 FPS on base 3DS despite being regular 3DS game in regular 3DS box)

However right now Sony are essentially Gimping there new launches by forcing PS4 versions, ratchet and clank, demon souls and returnal look fantastic for a reason.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Most people don't, a game not being on PS4 adds nothing to my enjoyment of it on PS5. Like, do you really think a ~720p30fps (and with longer loading times obviously) PS4 port of Demon's Souls' remake or Returnal would make the games suddenly less enjoyable? What's in it for you? What do you get out of more than a 100 million people being locked out of a game? It makes absolutely no sense for me... Like, at all.

Because we are at the point of diminishing advances between generations, there's much more reason to make cross-gen games now. The difference between PS3 and PS2 was much bigger than a PS4 and a PS5. Think about the past year, and how many times people have complained about "THIS is supposed to be next-gen?". Most recent example is Deathloop.

Topher

Gold Member
I remeber when Microsoft said they where not leaving the kinect behind and that's why it was included with every xbox one, including my launch day console.

Maybe Microsoft won't leave the S behind officially but I won't be surprised in a year or two when games are unplayable on the S console just like Nintendo 3DS titles when they played fine on New 3DS but where essentially unplayable on the older model.

Ok....but this isn't like Kinect where they simply removed what should have been an add-on in the first place. I really don't see how Microsoft can regress on Series S support even a little and not get raked over the coals by the gaming community. Their PR for Series S has been clear. Same capabilities at simply a lower resolution.

However right now Sony are essentially Gimping there new launches by forcing PS4 versions, ratchet and clank, demon souls and returnal look fantastic for a reason.

Miles Morales looked as good if not better, imo.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Covid is a thing and it has effect a lot of the industry. Loads of great games still to come and it could make this gen slightly longer for it

Skifi28

An exclusive is an exluisive. Being ps5 only or cross-gen makes little difference other than certain people's egos.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok....but this isn't like Kinect where they simply removed what should have been an add-on in the first place. I really don't see how Microsoft can regress on Series S support even a little and not get raked over the coals by the gaming community. Their PR for Series S has been clear. Same capabilities at simply a lower resolution.

Except alot if the differences in the Series S don't "just" effect resolution the RAM speed and more importantly size differences will be the big limiter, yeah bump down the textures and your golden but that will only goes so far for specific huge open world games before you need to compromise on map size if you don't plan for any load zones. A good example of this is FFXIV for the PS3 they had to drop support because otherwise they where limiting both PC and PS4 too heavily. Not because they couldn't just down the resolution but because they had to restrict the game heavily on a design level due to the weaker hardware, its why PS5 owners are pissed that the next gen exclusives have a PS4 version, because it limits the game design due to a weaker console, compromises will have to be made.

They where raked over the coals for the Kinect early adopters where pissed. essentially being stuck with a camera that was 3rd of the price of the console that nothing going forward would use, they just PR'd it away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom