• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theresa May: Donald Trump told me to sue the EU

BraveOne

Theresa May has revealed that Donald Trump advised her to “sue the European Union” rather than negotiate with the 27-country bloc, in a private conversation that the US president referred to during his visit to the UK on Friday.

The prime minister was asked on the BBC’s The Andrew Marr Show what the “brutal” Brexit negotiating advice was that Trump had talked about in their joint press conference outside the prime minister’s Chequers country retreat.

Revealing it for the first time, May said: “He told me I should sue the EU.” After being prompted by a surprised Marr, May repeated: “Sue the EU, not go into negotiations with them, sue them.”

I wont put it past May and her shambolic government to crash out of the EU with no deal. But to sue the EU.. its almost laughable

iP42wHz.gif

luigimario

Banned
Bu' ma sovrentteeeeeee!!!1!!!

Brexit was such a shambles, no we will have a much worse deal with the EU than we had before.....

TheMikado

Banned
Perhaps she doesn't realize that "sue" is a legal form of "negotiations", but okay.
Well not really, it implies an overarching government court which both parties agree to adhere to or the court and government will issue punishments.

“Suing” the EU doesn’t make much sense on a global level because you’d have to have an agreed upon court and the someway to enforce it.

In other worlds what court system would you use to sue the entire EU? I suppose you could use he EU courts, ignoring of course the obvious ramifications of using the same court system you are suing or he general lack of enforcement.

Overall the effort it would take to even produce a court system for them to even begin the process of suing is far more trouble than a simply straight negotiation between countries. In actual effect it doesn’t make any real sense.

BraveOne

14 minutes after the reee thread, guess we know where OP gets his news

Lol okay ..

I guess only reset are the only news outlets. God forbid someone has a news app on their phone

p.s it was 1hr and 14 mins after the reset thread .

Last edited:

Ke0

To this day I'm still wondering how Saudi Arabia is not a "foe" to America. It's a rhetorical question to be clear.

He should've told her you can be rich and live comfortably without the EU. Plenty of countries don't need to be a part of it to be successful.

Shifty

14 minutes after the reee thread, guess we know where OP gets his news
And? Providing that they don't bring the reee and drama along with it or insist on namedropping the place and insta-derailing before a thread even begins, I don't see the issue.

Last edited:

Nicktendo86

I've not actually read it but I saw an article claiming he does actually have a point, I will see if I can find it...

Edit: here is is, behind a paywall so I will quote a few bit of the detail. Basically When Trump made the suggestion it was around the time the sequencing of talks was agreed, article 50 states that the negotiation on withdrawal should take into account the future relationship. The EU insisted that the talks should be sequenced with the terms of withdrawal sorted first (any 'divorce payments', issues around the Irish boarder etc) and only when 'sufficient progress' has been made on that could the talks move onto future arrangements (trade etc).

This does seem, on the face of it, against the wording of article 50 which doesn't mention separating the talks into different parts. It also put the UK at a massive disadvantage, we basically had to agree to pay £40billion for no guarantee of a trade deal and agree a backstop for the Irish boarder which is, at best, lunacy. Many argued at the time we would be crazy to agree to the sequencing and, in his resignation letter, former Secretary of State for Exiting the EU David Davis said he disagreed with giving it the all clear at the time but Prime Minister Theresa May overruled. Some (including me to be honest) say this points to more evidence that she wanted to scupper the whole negotiations from the off. but that's another matter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...t-theresa-may-could-sue-eu-get-better-brexit/

Legal experts said the President’s exhortation to Mrs May during her visit to the White House in January last year to take Brussels to court was based on legal foundation.

Martin Howe QC, a leading expert on EU law, said when Mr Trump gave the advice to Mrs May last year the UK could have taken action over the “phasing” of the talks.
Britain then had just agreed to the EU’s timetable of agreeing terms on the bill to be paid to leave, the Irish border and the terms of the exit, before moving to future trade talks.
Mr Howe said: “Quite serious legal commentators have argued that the phasing of the negotiations was contrary to EU law because Article 50 says the withdrawal agreement has to ‘take account of the framework for the future relationship’. How can you take account of that framework until you have talked about it?”

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
And Trump continues to show that he is a moron with no real plan or intelligence.

I for one am shocked.....

Top Bottom