• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief 4 - First 'Screenshot'

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It still remains to be seen if we can cycle between first and third person, the image only shows the character in third person but one can hope since of the previous title having this feature.

StuBurns said:
I've looked at the shot plenty now, and I have literally no idea what it is, I can't see a guy, I can't see a bow, nothing.

Bow is horizontal, I think the thing in the corner is his elbow. maybe.

Gorgon

DaBuddaDa said:
Of all game series, the Thief series is the antithesis of everything modern, hand-holding game design is all about. I am extremely nervous about the dumbing down of this property.

You make it sound like Thief was the pinacle of game complexity.

ZombieFred said:
It still remains to be seen if we can cycle between first and third person, the image only shows the character in third person but one can hope since of the previous title having this feature.

Preferred 3rd person in Deadly Shadows honestly. One of the best visuals in the game was garrett's model and the light bouncing off of it. The rest of the environments/NPCs were so so

Gorgon said:
That's why I didn't like it. Oh, and the fucking survailance cameras. Whoever got that idea should have been shot.

First one still the best.
I loved both, but the furnace-powered robots made for some of the best moments in T2, IMO.

feel

Please be a proper stealth game with very little handholding and deep gameplay, this gen has been lacking in what probably is my favorite genre (a few great sneaking segments in MGS4 is all I can remember from this gen).

GreatSage

Banned
miladesn said:
No, he is not, he is the producer of Deus Ex HR. There are many ex-Ubi Montreal staff working at Eidos Montreal though.

Yes, you're right. For some reason I conflated David with Mario Aguera.

In the words of the immortal bard, "my bad".

RyanDG

Gorgon said:
First one still the best.

I may have agreed with you aside from the completely random forced combat sections that tried to turn the first thief into a first person shooter/slasher. The simple fact that the second game was completely designed around the principle that all encounters should have an alternative path (rather than through combat) and that the use of combat often times made the encounter harder rather than easier, meant that the second Thief's design was definitely more actualized and was by far the better game, regardless of your feelings of the inclusion of technology. I mean fuck, it's a steampunk world anyway. Through your expectations of what should be included out the window.

szaromir

Banned
Thief series has such glorious level design.

20sa8f9.jpg

This level was when Thief went from "fantastic" to "one of the best games ever". So good.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
AgentOtaku said:
Preferred 3rd person in Deadly Shadows honestly. One of the best visuals in the game was garrett's model and the light bouncing off of it. The rest of the environments/NPCs were so so

The game surely had some great visuals that still look fine today. One little detail I love was the light reflecting through the glass panels and how the lighting affected the area around with the guards patrolling the premises. Now if the team can deliver with the lighting and sound, something they already mentioned for their GDC event, then we should have a clear picture what to expect coming.
Now if we can get the same voice actor for Garret, then it’s all good.

Zeliard

Gorgon said:
You make it sound like Thief was the pinacle of game complexity.

Relative to how most games are today, it was. We've seen a clear trend away from complexity and depth and into streamlining and accessibility. I mean look at what's happened to the once-glorious Splinter Cell series.

Gorgon

RyanDG said:
I may have agreed with you aside from the completely random forced combat sections that tried to turn the first thief into a first person shooter/slasher. The simple fact that the second game was completely designed around the principle that all encounters should have an alternative path (rather than through combat) and that the use of combat often times made the encounter harder rather than easier, meant that the second Thief's design was definitely more actualized and was by far the better game, regardless of your feelings of the inclusion of technology. I mean fuck, it's a steampunk world anyway. Through your expectations of what should be included out the window.

Huh? I never slashed my way through any part of the first Thief.

Gorgon

szaromir said:

20sa8f9.jpg

This level was when Thief went from "fantastic" to "one of the best games ever". So good.

Is that "sorceres's house" level? Wher you have to
steal a sword
? Don't really remember that part but I remember the level and it was fucking ace.

RyanDG

Gorgon said:
Huh? I never slashed my way through any part of the first Thief.

I am almost 99% postitive that there were 2, maybe 3 points in the first Thief which weren't solvable by any means other than combat. I'll look it up to see if I can find it when I get home. Or reinstall the game maybe. ;)

I can possibly be completely off my rocker, but I really thought that was the case.

Gorgon

Zeliard said:
Relative to how most games are today, it was. We've seen a clear trend away from complexity and depth and into streamlining and accessibility. I mean look at what's happened to the once-glorious Splinter Cell series.

Sure, but there was nothing "complex" about Thief. Use of shadows was top notch, but not really "complex" in any way. The guards movement was totally predictable too, it was just a matter of observation and patience. The game was pretty acessible in every possible way. I can't think of anything that could possibly be "streamlined". Unless we have different concepts of "streamlined".

Gorgon

RyanDG said:
I am almost 99% postitive that there were 2, maybe 3 points in the first Thief which weren't solvable by any means other than combat. I'll look it up to see if I can find it when I get home. Or reinstall the game maybe. ;)

I can possibly be completely off my rocker, but I really thought that was the case.

OK, but I really doubt that there was any forced combat situation in the game at all.

szaromir

Banned
Gorgon said:
Is that "sorceres's house" level? Wher you have to
steal a sword
? Don't really remember that part but I remember the level and it was fucking ace.
Yes, that one.

Sure, but there was nothing "complex" about Thief.
Level design was quite complex and required focus player's focus for navigation.

szaromir said:

20sa8f9.jpg

That bit was so fucking freaky the first time i played it (in my gaming noob years), never forget it :D

Ceebs

MightyHedgehog said:
What do you mean? AFAIR, electricity already was part of the series' technologies, though more sparingly used.
The bow to me looks like a more modern composite bow. I guess the screen is like an inkblot test cause it looks like the guy is wearing a big parka with the hood back and a beanie as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Game looks visual super hot.

Seeing as how I own the Thief trilogy, I really should play through them (only ever played the demo levels).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
From The Dust said:
Damn it feels good to be a thief

Are the other three games worth playing? I hear 3 isn't as good as the first two. (and are they even on steam?)

Every Thief-game is worth playing.

Gorgon

szaromir said:
Level design was quite complex and required focus player's focus for navigation.

Hum, you're right about that one. I can see an automap feature beying added to Thief 4 lol.

szaromir

Banned
Ogs said:
That bit was so fucking freaky the first time i played it (in my gaming noob years), never forget it :D
At first I was "ZOMG why am I in space?" Then it turned out it's just a night sky and if you look below you'll see pavement.

As I said, anyway to get ThiefIII to recognize the 360 controller?
I remember is mapped perfectly to a Logitech twinstick pad back in the day....

Ceebs said:
The bow to me looks like a more modern composite bow. I guess the screen is like an inkblot test cause it looks like the guy is wearing a big parka with the hood back and a beanie as well.

Yeah, the image is messy as hell and could be depicting a lot of things. Composite bows are cool, though, and a gnarly mechanical compound one with pulleys 'n shit would be neat. It might also hint at more mobile bow combat and an opportunity for Garret to upgrade or choose from different bows during the game. I think it would fit in with the steampunk/burgeoning industrial age-like trimmings of the world.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Gorgon said:
Sure, but there was nothing "complex" about Thief. Use of shadows was top notch, but not really "complex" in any way. The guards movement was totally predictable too, it was just a matter of observation and patience. The game was pretty acessible in every possible way. I can't think of anything that could possibly be "streamlined". Unless we have different concepts of "streamlined".

Thief's level design still allowed the player to give a selection of options than most games today lack - giving a very linier route from point a to b, little exploration and risk vs. reward, and a more casual system that isn’t as robust.
Most scenarios in thief allowed the player to get to their objective on different floor levels/layers rather than a one straight path. Or in some cases, with some exploration you could find a route that would help bypass a locked door or a room of guards where you might have to fight your way through and loose that perception of being a ghost. You had to really pay attention to where you were going and listen or you could easily be detected. Most games today tend to not have that and just point the route for where the player had to go.

Gorgon

Ceebs said:

I'm afraid it really does look like a parka and a benie. If that is the case I'm fucking out, honestly. A few years back some artwork was released for a Thief 4 project supposed to be set in modern times and the project generated a shitstorm on the nets. If Eidos went the same route they're realy asking for another one.

Zeliard

Gorgon said:

I don't know that a game that focuses almost purely on staying away from enemies, in a gen where we've had so many "blow up whatever the fuck is in front of you" games, is terribly accessible to that many.

Pure stealth (or at least a very dominant focus on stealth) is a lot to ask for these days - that alone is going to make it somewhat non-accessible, if not entirely uninteresting, for a lot of modern gamers.

It's not that Thief is the pinnacle of complexity - it's that the type of patience it asks for is a crapshoot to ask from a lot of gamers nowadays. As a modern example, look at all the complaints leveled at Demon's Souls due to the patience it demands out of the player in navigating the environment, where it asks you do so slowly and with consideration for your surroundings.

Gamers as a whole have lost a great deal in the capacity for actually learning a game's systems, as well as traversing levels that aren't A ---> B corridor linearity. Hopefully this won't compromise this version, but I can't get my hopes up for a legitimate stealth game these days (MGS4 didn't quite cut it, and let's not even speak of Splinter Cell: Conviction).

Gorgon

From The Dust said:
Damn it feels good to be a thief

Are the other three games worth playing? I hear 3 isn't as good as the first two. (and are they even on steam?)

They're all worth playing. First is the best, imho. Second is along the same lines, almost feels like a separate expansion more than a whole new sequel, same controls, same (great) atmosphere, etc, but I didn't like it as much because they went overboard with the steampunk by adding robots but specially survailance cameras. It really is a matter of taste though.

Thisf 3 is more like 1 in terms of the Steampubk elements, and it IS a very good game. Some people didn't like it so much becsuse of some changes, but it is a very good game, and it has one of the best levels in the series in it too.

Gorgon

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Looks late 19th century to me.

Hum...I'm a sucker for Victorian Age settings and there are too few of those. Shit, if it is Victorian I may actually bite!

Gorgon

ZombieFred said:
Thief's level design still allowed the player to give a selection of options than most games today lack - giving a very linier route from point a to b, little exploration and risk vs. reward, and a more casual system that isn’t as robust.
Most scenarios in thief allowed the player to get to their objective on different floor levels/layers rather than a one straight path. Or in some cases, with some exploration you could find a route that would help bypass a locked door or a room of guards where you might have to fight your way through and loose that perception of being a ghost. You had to really pay attention to where you were going and listen or you could easily be detected. Most games today tend to not have that and just point the route for where the player had to go.

Well, I would't exactely call that as "complex" per se. The big levels with no automap yes, I have to agree they required focused attention from the player in a way that is not seen these days. The different paths and so on isn't realy anything I would call complex per se.

In general, the Thief games were pretty accessible and streamlined as they were. But then again, just my opinion.

Kunohara

I should get around to playing the Thief games. Always looked good to me, but for some reason never picked them up. I do love stealth games.

Top Bottom