• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things from the past that you miss

Bullet Club

It can be anything from the past that you miss, but generally it would be less serious stuff like junk food/toys/shows etc.

Toobs

A saucy Australian snack.

Bjn3LwT.jpg

2Unxj8z.jpg

80s/90s Video Game Stores

I miss going into stores and seeing rows & rows of new 8-bit and 16-bit games.

z5nDs9X.jpg

90s Game Magazines

It used to be so great getting a new EGM/Amiga Power/Super Play/Die Hard Gamefan back in the 90s. Seeing all the new game and system previews and the ads. Obviously you were getting fairly old news by the time the mag arrived but it was still exciting.

KEl0mnN.jpg

So what old things are you missing?

brap

Banned
Game magazines
R-rated horror movies that weren't hipster trash
Wrestling that wasn't made for babies
Pokemon poptarts
large.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Fuck yeah to the Jurassic Park pics.

I miss:
  • The excitement and mystery of exploring a new game as a kid before the internet ruined everything. I'm thinking mostly of RPGs like Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger.
    • Being yelled at by my mom to go downstairs for a home cooked meal while playing said games (with the aroma already filling my bedroom).
  • Being able to stay awake all night and sleep all day with zero repercussions.
I'll add lighter things later if I can think of any. I'm pretty dead inside so it's hard to find things I care about.

Video games magazines for sure.

It's refreshing as hell to go back to them nowadays, no political spin, no anti-gamer BS, just good old fashioned content by gamers for gamers that was first and foremost concerned with what games would give you the greatest times and no pretentious political obsessions.

Just the whole culture surrounding video games used to be so much fun, it's really hard to take how ruined it's been now.

And tied in with that is quality websites, both gaming and otherwise, sites like the old AV Club, the old IGN, back when internet websites were about being informative and not social engineering.

Basically, I miss when the entertainment industry was about what YOU, the paying customer, wanted, now it's about what THEY want you to have.

Papa

Banned
Any Aussies here that used to subscribe to PC Powerplay? I used to love it back in the day. I noticed it's still around and was thinking about re-subscribing to see if it's any good.

Bullet Club

Any Aussies here that used to subscribe to PC Powerplay? I used to love it back in the day. I noticed it's still around and was thinking about re-subscribing to see if it's any good.
I used to get it. Still got a bunch of early issues out in the garage. Haven't read it in years though.

I used to enter their competitions in the late 90s. I won an X-Files pack which had the PC game and some VHS tapes, a South Park pack which was a watch and some VHS and another pack of stuff which funnily enough also had VHS tapes in it, things like Predator.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I used to get it. Still got a bunch of early issues out in the garage. Haven't read it in years though.

I used to enter their competitions in the late 90s. I won an X-Files pack was the PC game and some VHS', a South Park pack which was a watch and some VHS and another packof stuff which funnily enough also had VHS tapes in it, things like Predator.

Nice, that's awesome. I used to obsessively follow the changes to the Beast components and dreamed of the day that I could afford to build it. Then when I got there, I realised that it wasn't worth spending $10k on a gaming PC and settled for the Excellent rig from logicalincrements.com.

brap

Banned
Video games magazines for sure.

It's refreshing as hell to go back to them nowadays, no political spin, no anti-gamer BS, just good old fashioned content by gamers for gamers that was first and foremost concerned with what games would give you the greatest times and no pretentious political obsessions.

Just the whole culture surrounding video games used to be so much fun, it's really hard to take how ruined it's been now.

And tied in with that is quality websites, both gaming and otherwise, sites like the old AV Club, the old IGN, back when internet websites were about being informative and not social engineering.

Basically, I miss when the entertainment industry was about what YOU, the paying customer, wanted, now it's about what THEY want you to have.
>ywn go back to reading opm as a kid, adult jokes going over your head, half naked women, all those edgy nu-metal and hip hop ads, all those funny reviews for shitty games because nobody cared about being professional
:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
>ywn go back to reading opm as a kid, adult jokes going over your head, half naked women, all those edgy nu-metal and hip hop ads, all those funny reviews for shitty games because nobody cared about being professional

Getting a letter published in OPM as a 13 year old was pretty much the greatest thing that ever happened to me in my life up to that point

Also had the Asian lady editor from PSM respond to my letter about being stuck in Alundra.

Oh man those were the days

Last edited:

Raynes

nintchdbpict000345526185.jpg

cadbury_marble_king_copy.jpg

nintchdbpict000345525244.jpg

Taz-Bars.png

This and they need to change the Galaxy chocolate recipe back to the original and I think they changed the Cadbury's caramel recipe so change that shit back too.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I think Lipton bought out the company and fucked up their formula but there use to be this ice tea from the 90's that was so good.

You could only find at gas stations because they weren't big enough as a company to be in grocery stores. It was called Jamaican Ice Tea and it was delicious.

Last edited:
Definitely late 80s and 90s gaming mags. That's a good pick. I have been watching some youtube videos of a guy flipping through some issues and going into detail about them. It brings back so many memories.

I had tons of them too but they were all thrown out in a rush to move out of a place in 2013.

Raynes

MSN Messenger and its sound effects:

MSN days were the best. I feel blessed to have lived my youth through MSN. Also when I heard that new message sound after so so many years, I could feel the remnants of the dopamine neural pathways activating XD Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
maazines. mostly videogame magazines but also the weekly world news.

video stores. going to rent a movie or game with mom and my brothers was a weekly tradition. yes we have red box and a million other things now but that tactile browsing experience is second to none.

arcades. again, i can now play every arcade game ever, for free, with unlimited credits. but there's nothing like those old arcades, packed full of people, all the machines making noise over each other, creating an ambient wave of classic videogames.

BBSes. it was a lot weirder than the internet, and i loved the ASCII art. no pop up ads. all the anarchist text files. all the demo scene .exes. good stuff.

missing a lot of venues. feels like every art gallery, music venue, etc. that i used to frequent when i moved to this city ~15 years ago is now gone, in it's place an artisinal cupcake store. progress!

lil puff

I miss the old style 70s-90s sitcoms.

Miss when I used to love and be able to sit in a room and just draw.

70-80s vehicle style

Mike Tyson fights - that era of boxing in general

The friends I grew up with.

Listening to cassette tapes, splicing and dubbing songs together to tape

Miss arcades as well. our dad used to drop of us with a lot of money, whenever he wanted to go off and do something 'extracurricular'

dorkimoe

Going outside and playing as a kid
Orbitz (the drink)
Lime Skittles
Video game Magazines (pre internet)
AIM

lil puff

Going outside and playing as a kid
This one always brings back the best memories.

Playing basketball near friends house until it was so dark, you couldn't see the rim.

Then you start smelling their mom's chicken and get invited over for dinner.

Run home and tell your folks your eating at friends.

They say NO.

G-Bus

Banned
Childhood and the lack of responsibilities.

Had some really awesome years before I was 10. Sounds silly but I grew up in a small town, parents were pretty relaxed about letting me go explore and play. My best friend was my neighbour and we got up to all sorts of crazy shit.

Elfstar

Lack of social media
Thougher entry barriers to deny mainstream audiences access to the internet
Arcades

Last edited:

MC Safety

Writing and editing for game magazines was great work, and I may never do anything that cool again.

I miss Roy Rodgers, the fast food place. They sold chicken and burgers, and the chain folded (mostly?). I think there are still a few operating in New York City.

I have fond memories of going there with mom for lunch and with friends from school. The food was very good, too, for fast food.

Catphish

Video stores
Drive-ins
Phones attached to walls
Phone booths
Record shops
Corner grocery stores
Arcades
Dollar movie theaters
Floppy disks (the actually floppy ones)
LAN parties

I grew up in a rural area, and I miss the night sky full of bright stars. With all the light pollution now, it's not the same.

TFGB

Less road traffic.
Summers down the BMX track.
Lack of social media and less celebrity culture.
Happy Eater.
Crash Magazine.
Popping in to London when it wasn’t such a shithole.
The cockney accent/before all this Multicultural London English bollox.
KP Skydivers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Before all the iced coffees came was this. I remember drinking this in the early 90s. Not cheap either. It was I think $1.50 (cdn) and I only found them in variety stores.

18113L.jpg

Last edited:

OPM was amazing and so hilariously politically incorrect by today's standard.

The vibe was unapologetically male oriented, to the point where they would have things like a sidebar blurb explaining what movies to watch if you want to see Angelina Jolie naked above an article talking about the second Tomb Raider movie, hilarious stuff like that, you might as well be reading a magazine from the 1800s for as far removed it is from the gaming press today.

But even back in 2003 they got a letter from someone complaining about that stuff and they more or less told them to buzz off.

As a teenage boy at the time, yeah, I dug it.

Getting a letter published in OPM as a 13 year old was pretty much the greatest thing that ever happened to me in my life up to that point

Also had the Asian lady editor from PSM respond to my letter about being stuck in Alundra.

Oh man those were the days

Can you remember what issue and what letter to be exact?

Top Bottom