• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you didn't know about Twilight Princess

did anyone notice that Ashei's coat seems to be made from a dead female yeti?

speaking of which, I really hope we get to see more of her and the other guys from telma's bar if we ever get a TP direct sequel

ABBN

For the first time in a Zelda game, all the Hylian text is stylized English. It's left to right readable in the GCN version, but flipped in the Wii version.

Wind Waker, and I think some others had Hylian based off Japanese. Speaking of which, the tombstones in Twilight Princess are still in that style and say "People of the plains" or something. I forget.

Anyways if you roam around Hyrule you can make sense of what things say. Such as the old village, the signs say 'Welcome to Old Kakariko'. The new Kakariko sign, albeit broken, says Kakariko. And in the Sacred Grove, near the temple it says something like Stone Sword Sacred Grove something or other. Again, it's been a while.

Johnas

- There's a rumour that if a blue chu and a yellow chu run together, they will form a green chu. Green chu's likely existed to refil the magic meter, a feature that was eventually dropped from the game. The magic meter can still be seen in a screenshot on the back of the box.

I'm looking at the back of the GC case right now and don't see a magic meter anywhere. Is it only the Wii version?

I didn't know about quite a few of those things. You gotta love the attention to detail.

Armitage

Johnas said:
I'm looking at the back of the GC case right now and don't see a magic meter anywhere. Is it only the Wii version?

I didn't know about quite a few of those things. You gotta love the attention to detail.

I've got a magic meter on my wii case, it's in the picture of Link fighting an Iron Knuckles in
the temple of time
, I think.

TiVo said:
- Oocca are inspired by M.C. Escher's painting "Other World"

That's awesome. I loved the whole city in the sky dungeon—the best in the game imo. I can definitely see the inspiration here.

argon said:
That makes no sense. Stars are supposed to move in the sky at night, due to the earth's rotation. They should all pivot around the north star (or south depending on the hemisphere).

Obviously, but even still, I think that's really neat.

R0nn

the thoroughbred said:
Riding Epona is really well done. The horse is way better than oblivion's. The way Epona is controlled and everything. If you stand still on Epona, then start moving, Link will always click his heels into Epona, which I thought was amazing too.

You should go play SotC. The horse physics and animations in that game competely obliterate even Epona's. It's one of the most impressive aspects of that game.

That makes no sense. Stars are supposed to move in the sky at night, due to the earth's rotation. They should all pivot around the north star (or south depending on the hemisphere).

Flat Hyrule confirmed!

Johnas

Armitage said:
I've got a magic meter on my wii case, it's in the picture of Link fighting an Iron Knuckles in
the temple of time
, I think.

Huh, it must just be the Wii version then. There definitely isn't one on mine. It'd be right under the life meter, right?

I actually found the little dipper (I think) when checking out the sky one time. Pretty cool they'd give the sky that much concern.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
- When going in to a group of enemies on Epona, you can do a quick dismount, and Link will hop off with a backflip. Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

ok this one may not be bullshit but i havent been able to pull off this 'quick dismount backflip'

- You can grow pumpkins by pouring water on them, which improves the items they give. You can also pour water on certain people for a reaction. These appear to be the only use of bottled water in the game.

Bullshit. i poured water on a bunch of pumpkins and they stay the same size.

- Fire a bomb arrow in to the sky for an instant firework!"

bullshit, it just explodes

andthebeatgoeson

xir said:
- When going in to a group of enemies on Epona, you can do a quick dismount, and Link will hop off with a backflip. Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

ok this one may not be bullshit but i havent been able to pull off this 'quick dismount backflip'

- You can grow pumpkins by pouring water on them, which improves the items they give. You can also pour water on certain people for a reaction. These appear to be the only use of bottled water in the game.

Bullshit. i poured water on a bunch of pumpkins and they stay the same size.

- Fire a bomb arrow in to the sky for an instant firework!"

bullshit, it just explodes
I've seen the backflip. I can't get it to happen all the time but it's there.

Totalriot

- On the way to the first dungeon, you can steal lantern oil and red potions from the bird. If you run off without paying, the bird will attack you next time and call you a thief. This is a reference to Link's Awakening.

If you talk to him as Wolf Link he tells you about the theft and says he replaced the lantern oil with water as a surprise if the thief returns :lol

Unison

R0nn said:
You should go play SotC. The horse physics and animations in that game competely obliterate even Epona's. It's one of the most impressive aspects of that game.

You think so? I thought it was so much better in TP.... The landscape itself in SOTC is so cruddy. The horse gets hung up on polygon edges, and the frame rate chugs, giving the whole game a half-finished feel.

argon

One cool thing I noticed:

You can fish in the dungeons, and catch those skeleton fish enemies. But Link will say it's nasty and throw it back.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
xir said:

As people have said, on the cube hold R then press A. On the wii, you have to be near enemies to do a quick dismount.

Also, I found riding Epona had a better feeling than riding the horse in SOTC.

mrkgoo

About Escher...and this is why I thought TP was a little bit disappointing overall...I was really expecting some mindblowing dungeons. Multi floor puzzles and the like...a full blown Escher, rotate dungeons 90 degrees, upisde down etc. That would've been awesome. You know, kind of like the Stone Temple from Majora's Mask (although it ahs been avery long time since I played that).. Other stuff like having teh boss at teh entrance of adungeon, and mixing things around...that was the Hallmark of the Nintendo I knew. But alas, TP is just an excellent use of the 3D zelda formaula - awesome, but not mind blowing.

Supervlieg said:
No they werent, they were kind of an accidental design based on a doodle by a designer of Nintendo. It pretty much went into the game unchanged. Go here and search for "ooccoo". Interesting read altogether by the way: http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v3_04.html&expand=1&l=enGB

Also found squatting in a corner of Telma's bar, muttering about food.
Later in the game he is also found at the back of the Goat stable in Ordon Village.

Also, when you chop up wooden signs, pick them up and throw them in water, they will float.

Has anyone noticed that at the bottom of the Iwata Asks.. interviews for volume 6: Wario Ware: Smooth Moves part 1, in the footnotes, the part about Rhythm Tengoku.

Iwata Asks said:
Rhythm Heaven is a game that was released in Japan earlier this year, but has yet to be released in Europe and North America.

I assume Rhythm Heaven is Rhythm Tengoku. Maybe its on its way. I sure damn hope so.

There's a rumour that if a blue chu and a yellow chu run together, they will form a green chu. Green chu's likely existed to refil the magic meter, a feature that was eventually dropped from the game. The magic meter can still be seen in a screenshot on the back of the box.

Sounds like something made up just to **** with people. I can't even think of a place in the game where there's both a yellow and blue chu together without there also being about a dozen purple ones right next to them, making any attempt at proving/disproving this practically impossible.

Top Bottom