• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about playing Final Fantasy XIV, I have questions

I keep seeing online that FF14 has a great story/characters/world etc. I’ve literally never played an MMO before. I usually stick to single player games occasional online sports or FPS game with friends.

I’m considering trying FF14 and had some questions for those with experience with the game.

If I’m playing mostly for the story/world like an open world rpg, how long is the game to go from the beginning to the current expansion? I’ve read estimates of like 100-400 hours?

Is the game fun and do-able if I don’t know anyone playing it online? None of my friends would ever play it.

Lastly, is there a ton of filler and grinding between the story segments. Like will have to go do 20 fetch quests to advance the story?

Thanks

You don't need to know anyone online to play. There are story quests that require a party of other players, but the game will match people for you.

There are tons of fetch quests, especially early on. The game gets better each expansion. Honestly, the first part of the story until you beat the base game is the weakest part.

Overall, even playing it like an offline game, it's still one if the best games in the franchise.

Chakker

Neo Member
The game is absolutely doable without friends playing with you. Most of the story content is intended to be done solo with an occasional dungeon you have to run as a group. But the matchmaking works well and after a dungeon its usually another 50 quests of solo content before you run another.
However there is a lot of filler. They contain a bit of story and dialogue but the actions youre doing on filler quests can still be somewhat inane.
How long it takes really depends on how much you focus on the main story vs doing any other content, but doing nothing but MSQ or any one thing in the game can become a drag. Mixing it up helps keep things more entertaining.
I played a lot of FFXI back in the day as well and I can easily say that FFXIV does a much better job of being a fun game as well as an MMO. The presentation and story is great.

Also they have recently revamped a big portion of frustrating quest grinding between the first story climax and first expansion to be a lot less tedious.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game has a very generous free trial. One of the limitations of the trial is that you can't join a party with your friends, but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you. In the trial you can go up to level 60 now and through the end of the first expansion, story wise. That's probably 60+ hours of story just in that, and it won't cost you a dime.

Download it and try it out for free, at least then if you decide it's not for you then you can ditch it without much worry.

Top Bottom