• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking on buying the Playstation Gold Headset for Xbox One. How it works?

borges

Banned
Basically that. Im going to start playing with a friend Elite Dangerous, so Im needing a good headset with mic.
Right now just around the corner of my house theres a shop with this on a really good offer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVBPRUO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Question... how they work with Xbox One? Am I able to use chat voice? Do I need any additional adapter if my One controller has the 3.5M input?

Thanks!

Be careful. I bought one of these for use with my PC, and it snapped after a few months. Got a replacement (with difficulty) through Sony, and that one snapped even quicker. I take good care of my stuff, too. So just be warned, these headsets are a little pricey considering the short lifespan.

borges

Banned
Be careful. I bought one of these for use with my PC, and it snapped after a few months. Got a replacement (with difficulty) through Sony, and that one snapped even quicker. I take good care of my stuff, too. So just be warned, these headsets are a little pricey considering the short lifespan.

Thanks. Ill ask for a warranty on the shop then ;)

Glix

I recently got a set of Golds and I like them a lot. I have used the wired for my PSVR and everything works fine.

I have heard here on gaf that the band is not well made and will snap at some point, but I am keeping my fingers crossed as I really like the headphones both in terms of sound and comfort.

borges

Banned
I recently got a set of Golds and I like them a lot. I have used the wired for my PSVR and everything works fine.

I have heard here on gaf that the band is not well made and will snap at some point, but I am keeping my fingers crossed as I really like the headphones both in terms of sound and comfort.

Yeah, I heard good things about it, but just want to be sure everything works ok with an Xbox One he.

I have it but really dont like it.

Teh main reason why I dont like it is because it does not have mic monitoring. Hearing myself is something I must have. It's not something for everyone, but it is for me.

I rarely use my PS4, so I have no urge to replace it with something better.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Im amazed by these posts i use mine daily since they launched only issue i have is the pleather wearing off

Im amazed by these posts i use mine daily since they launched only issue i have is the pleather wearing off

Then you got some miracle pair. I've never had a pair of headphones snap on me before, and two of these did within 3-4 months of purchase.

Caayn

I used one through the 3.5mm jack on the controller (XB1 sadly doesn't support USB audio), worked fine. However the plastic band isn't strong, mine snapped after a year.

Jakabok

I have it but really dont like it.

Teh main reason why I dont like it is because it does not have mic monitoring. Hearing myself is something I must have. It's not something for everyone, but it is for me.

I rarely use my PS4, so I have no urge to replace it with something better.

If you have a recent ish controller with a 3.5mm jack and plug it directly into the controller, you can enable mic monitoring in the console audio settings. Works great!

wilsonda

Been using mine with xb1 and ps4 for years now, works great. I know most folks have issues with the baND snapping but just take care of it and you should not have issues

Dolobill

I'm not sure about Xbox compatibility but I can't recommend these due to the build quality alone. Mine lasted a couple years but I only used them occasionally and handled them pretty delicately. I think there are much better options out there for just a little more money.

ufff.. so many comments regarding the build quality makes me doubt now...

If it's a store with some kind of "care plan," I'd say pay the extra couple of bucks, because there's a good chance you'll need it. Sounds like some people manage to keep theirs intact, but it's clear even before you put them on that the band wasn't designed with any kind of flexibility in mind. I treated mine gingerly and they still snapped in the end.

dedhead54

Been using mine with xb1 and ps4 for years now, works great. I know most folks have issues with the baND snapping but just take care of it and you should not have issues

Same here. Coming up on 3 years with it and mine is perfect condition after daily use.

Yeah, top of mine snapped quite early on but a liberal application of superglue and it's still going strong a year or two later.

Build quality is suspect but they're pretty damn comfy.

EDIT:

dwDVa1u.jpg

Urkyyit.jpg

Was pissed off when it happened but as I said, plenty of superglue and it's still going despite daily use. There are more cracks forming over time so it's not going to last forever but whatever, they're comfy enough that it's not something that has bothered me too much.

Depends on your tolerance for this kind of thing tbh.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
How about the new 3D sound ones? But honestly ive had mine since launch ive moved 3 times & taken them on a 5000k round trip visiting relatives etc

They work just like any other headset that uses the 3.5mm headphone jack on the Xbox One controller. The headset will be in a passive state though, so everything from volume, mic mute, and chat/game audio balance will have to be done through the Xbox One UI as opposed to directly on the headset itself. The old Xbox One headset adapter makes this a lot easier by putting those buttons right at your finger tips, I'd recommend it if you can get it for cheap.

As far as build quality goes, well I've had mine since 2014 and they're still in one piece. Not saying anything to discount the experiences of others, just sharing my own experience. Take it as you will.

I paid $69.99 Canadian so I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth.

Hyper X Cloud 2 are a great pair. I think those are around the same price.
OP said there's a local shop around the corner that has the Golds for a good price.

Why don't you go for the platinum headset?

That's a shame. Must have been a bad batch.

My friend bought a Sony platinum headset on launch and his one is still working as intended.

Good sound quality for the current price. I use mine often to listen to music with on my laptop, too. I still use them regularly as back-up headphones (since on gaming binges my main wireless headsets always end up dying) or just as an extra pair for work.

That said, gotta reiterate the build quality. Mine are cracked to shit in hundred places and only held together by tape lol. Never really dropped them, maybe once they rolled off the couch -- no visible damage after. They began to crack before that. They just crack from general putting them on-and-off. Guess it depends on the size of your head but just be gentle with them when you put them on and off as a general rule. Probably depends how often you use them, too. I used them while working at home on laptop, so sometimes I'd put them on-and-off probably 10+ times a day. If you're just using them once a day to game that probably does limit the wear TBH.

ZOONAMI

People always rag on them snapping or whatever but I've had mine for 2 years and it's fine. It honestly seems rather well built imo. Maybe a bad batch or maybe some are just better than others.

Honestly it's meant for use with the ps4 though as I think you'd only get stereo using it on Xbox and not virtual 7.1 surround.

Lamptramp

There were similar complaints about the old PlayStation Elite ones too, which I shrugged off until after someone asked for recommendations on GAF, I chimed in with "mine are fine still going strong", double checked and found them to be cracked and poised to snap (naturally I rescinded the recommendation). Aside from the build quality they were comfortable and great to use, but as someone that cares for my gear it made me seriously think twice before dropping any more money on Sony headphones, at least unless there were fewer/no reports of poor build quality. I think the golds generally have similar poor reports. I'm not sure if the newer platinum ones have the same inconsistent quality.

I'm sure someone may have other recommendations but I replaced mine with Philips SHP9500 with a V-MODA BoomPro and never looked back, those are truly going strong since Dec '15. I use them on PC/PS4/Xbone without issue.

If it's a store with some kind of "care plan," I'd say pay the extra couple of bucks, because there's a good chance you'll need it. Sounds like some people manage to keep theirs intact, but it's clear even before you put them on that the band wasn't designed with any kind of flexibility in mind. I treated mine gingerly and they still snapped in the end.
I was the same with the Elites, and it wasn't even as if I was using them excessively.. Seeing the question of build quality raise its head again makes me think I'll try and repair the elites with some glue again, the first time didn't work and aside from the snapping they were a great set to use.

Megatron

I bought them in early 2014 and use them on my xb1 once a week with no issues. You will have to use an audio cable but will never have to charge it

Pure Garbage

Bought the first pair at release. Never dropped it and after Destiny never used it. I picked it up one day and the left plastic was straight broken. Like wear and tear broke. It didn't last 6 months.

I'm dumb because I thought it was a fluke so I bought another one.

Rarely fucking used it. Started using it to stream audio for Horizon while the family slept. The fucking left side of the plastic broke! What the fuck? I have it all taped up so it's usable but it won't last much longer. This one was hardly used. Never dropped. I mean pure garbage.

Sound quality is good.

I do not recommend.

People always rag on them snapping or whatever but I've had mine for 2 years and it's fine. It honestly seems rather well built imo. Maybe a bad batch or maybe some are just better than others.

They are not well made. A good headset design is this

411AaAQLwlL._SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

metal frames instead of plastic garbo

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I love mine.
They developed cracks on the hinge and I put super glue and it worked for another year.
Then the glue and plastic came off so I chopped up an old debit card and superglued that on the hinge.
Still rocking them. The sound , mic, and comfort for my big head are top notch.

I know they have a good deal BUT you have better options around the same price I presume considering the Golds are $100 retail.

HyperX Cloud Core is $60
Astro A10 is $60
HyperX Stinger is $50

All will have good audio quality, a better mic (the mic on the Golds is not great) and will work on everything. You’ll have to use the included cable with the Golds on Xbox anyway.

Also the Stinger and A10 have in line (on the ear up on the Stinger) volume controls which is way easier then going into the settings each time. The Astros seem to have the best mic quality but they fit my ears tightly. Clouds have the best audio quality and way better then the Golds IMO.

With the Clouds you pay more for extras (extra earcup cushions, inline audio controls, case, USB sound card) but headset wise it’s all the same. They are based off of Takstar headphones which are good clones of a Beyerdynamic set of headphones. The mic can actually just be removed and they are basically normal headphones.

I’ve used all of the above headset besides the Stinger but reviews are great, I haven’t had any issues with my Golds breaking but they do feel loose, I didn’t want to turn into another “they break easily” post

Clouds personally are some of the most comfortable headsets I’ve ever used second only to the Steelseries Arctis line.

borges

Banned
I use my PlayStation wireless headphones on my Xbox One just fine. Use the cable that comes with them. Works great.

Ok, just bought it :) Definitely the band looks not so strong.
Have you been able to use the wireless dongle on the One? Or wired to controller is the only option?

Top Bottom