• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Apple Event, "One More Thing," announced for November 10th - ARM Macs

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to seeing benchmarks. I've got a fully spec'd 2019 MacBook Pro 16", so won't be upgrading for a while, but I might be interested in picking up a 13" model or even a MacBook Air for my wife. She's still rocking a 2013 model that's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Pagusas

Elden Member
wowzers, if they pulled that off.... damn. No fan on the air, macbook pro just lapping Intel's best mobile chips over and over again. I'll be curious to see third part benches, but given apple doesnt really lie about their performance numbers, I'm pretty damn impressed they were able to pull this off so fast. I feel like the PC market just got put on notice.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So when does the Apple store usually come back online after these things, am I wasting my time F5'ing now?

Live now:

Edit: Orders start the 17th.

Last edited:
seems like apple is off to a great start, I wish they would make a Microsoft surface studio like desktop which a big 4k-6k screen and the ability to use apple pencil for drawing, sketching, editing photos.

Too bad big sur does not support touch. :messenger_crying:

McCheese

Sweet, with student discount, got the Air for £898. Not having to worry about a fan or air-vents will make it ideal for coding/surfing in bed. Was tempted to get a Pro but by the time you've gone to 16GB ram and a decent HDD, it's just getting close to "gaming PC" prices. Surprised the Pro doesn't start at 16GB of ram to be honest.

belmarduk

I'd been hoping for a new MacBook 12 as my 2017 one kind of frizzed out a few months ago.. but the new Pro seems to good to pass up, so I ordered one. Really impressed by the new chip.... a mac you can game on? yes, please!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly I am not very much happy with the outcome:

The mac mini has been crippled: from 64gb ram (user upgradeable) to 16gb embedded in the cpu, no 10gbps ethernet, lost 2 of its 4 thunderbolt ports and only supports 2 displays now. It's essentially lost all the potential it had and is back to being just apple's cheapest offer.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Told you all people would be pleasantly surprised lol. We’ve had a couple developer transition kits here for a while now and they’ve been great.

TTOOLL

I’m gonna wait for reviews but it seems they really delivered!! It’s a first gen product as I said before but it’s not scary at all. Form factor is the same so we know the quality.
I hope I can get one next July if I go to the USA as intended.

McCheese

Maybe that's the limit of the unified memory in the chip.

Yup, the entire system being on the chip makes the tiers a bit harder to maintain. I'm pretty sure they removed the fan from the air just so the performance gets throttled and doesn't match the actively cooled more expensive Macbook pro variant, you are paying £300 for a touchbar otherwise.

None of the designers at work would touch a Macbook with less than 32GB of RAM, but I think it's safe to say these are aimed at consumers, and they'll update the higher end Pro and iMac systems next year with the work-horse variants.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
These Apple events used to do a lot more for me. Now it feels like I've heard it all before. Two times, three times faster than what?

Ah well, Apple definitely has good processor tech.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yup, the entire system being on the chip makes the tiers a bit harder to maintain. I'm pretty sure they removed the fan from the air just so the performance gets throttled and doesn't match the actively cooled more expensive Macbook pro variant, you are paying £300 for a touchbar otherwise.

None of the designers at work would touch a Macbook with less than 32GB of RAM, but I think it's safe to say these are aimed at consumers, and they'll update the higher end Pro and iMac systems next year with the work-horse variants.

Yeah, this new lineup feels very much like apple does i-devices: same chip, ancillary stuff to divide product tiers.

These are genuinely hugely impressive. If Apple can get their act together with gaming, I'd definitely be tempted with these over a PC.

As it is, I'm going to get my wife either one of these two, or an iPad Pro with a pencil and magic keyboard, for her birthday.

Bloody things are all much of a muchness price wise, with only about 300 quid separating the cheapest and costliest of them, so it will be very interesting to see the performance difference between them all now, sincw they're running the software with the same chips.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The new Air and Mini are 🔥

Preordered two Airs and a Mini.

Pro is a real loser, certainly the benefits don’t outweigh 300e + thickness + weight + fan difference to Air

Air vs Pro

4tchPKA.jpg

Dark Rider

The two ports only is a bummer, the presentation was good but it is time to wait for the benchmarks and hand-on reviews before making any decisions.

Getting one as soon as I can afford (and also justify) it to replace my 13" MBP from 2016. My not even a year old 16" one is just too big to use in most cases. I only use it on a desk while still using my 13" most of the time.

This M1 will shit all over the dual core i5 in my 13" MBP. 20 hours of battery life is gonna be delicious.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I bought a Mac Pro earlier in the year, so it will be a while before I get a taste of Apple’s new processor, but happy to hear this event delivered.

decisions

The new Air and Mini are 🔥

Preordered two Airs and a Mini.

Pro is a real loser, certainly the benefits don’t outweigh 300e + thickness + weight + fan difference to Air

Air vs Pro

4tchPKA.jpg

That's not really true, I mean the MacBook Pro has a fan. The Air will throttle a lot more quickly and so while we'll have to wait for reviews to really see, I definitely think it's safe to say that if you are someone who uses Logic or Findl Cut all the time you will see noticeably better performance on the Pro. And you get better battery life. The most disappointing thing about it is that it didn't receive a redesign, and looks pretty dated at this point compared to the 16-inch.

Anyways this event was awesome. If their claims really are true they made absolutely amazing gains in performance and efficiency. I mean this 13-inch Pro has double the battery life of my 2018 15-inch. That's insane. And these are their "low-end" chips. And no price increases. I would expect Apple to make considerable gains in the laptop market over the next 2-3 years.

I might get a Mac Mini since it's pretty reasonably priced and I'm at home all the time for at least a few more months. Else I think the Air is just really slick from a hardware standpoint.

Last edited:
I am still rocking a 2009 Macbook Pro...

If the keyboards are usable again, I'd definitely be in for one of those new macbooks.

Top Bottom